more than 100
| |

More than 100 aftershocks hit Japan after powerful…

Japan’s south‑western Kyushu region has been rattled by more than 100 aftershocks following Tuesday’s powerful earthquake that left at least 13 people dead and many others in critical condition.

Rescue teams are working in extreme heat to search for survivors trapped under rubble in Kumamoto prefecture, where a paper factory and a shopping mall were among the worst‑hit sites. The Aeon Mall in Kashima suffered an explosion shortly after the quake, killing three people and injuring several others. Three remain missing as crews continue to sift through debris.

Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi described the situation as “truly a race against time,” with thousands sheltering in evacuation centres and widespread power outages reported. The Japan Meteorological Agency has warned residents to remain vigilant, saying strong aftershocks with seismic intensity up to 7 could strike in the coming days.

The quake struck Kumamoto at 16:27 local time (07:27 GMT) and caused significant damage across the region. In Yatsushiro City, two people were found without signs of life at a factory, while nine others remain unaccounted for.

Officials say the scale of destruction is still being assessed, but the combination of collapsed buildings, fires and aftershocks has left communities deeply shaken.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Pakistan continues repatriation of undocumented Af…

    Punjab authorities have stepped up action against Afghan nationals living in the province without valid documents. The Foreign National Security Cell of the Punjab Home Department is carrying out checks across the province. Officials are identifying Afghan nationals who are staying without acceptable visas. Those found to be residing illegally are being detained. They are then moved to designated holding centres before being repatriated to Afghanistan. A spokesperson for the Punjab Home Department said 2,689,295 Afghan nationals have so far been repatriated from Pakistan. The spokesperson said 140,468 undocumented Afghan nationals have been sent back from Punjab alone. Officials said the action is being carried out under the government’s existing policy. Under the policy, Afghan nationals without valid and acceptable visas are considered to be staying illegally in Pakistan. The crackdown is not limited to one area. Officials are conducting checks in residential neighbourhoods and commercial markets across Punjab. The authorities are also monitoring places where foreign nationals may be living or working. The purpose is to identify people who do not have the required legal documents. The department said detained Afghan nationals are transferred to holding centres. These facilities are being used to manage the repatriation process. There are currently 39 active holding centres across Punjab. According to the department, 188 Afghan nationals are currently staying in these centres. The provincial authorities have also directed action against people who rent properties to undocumented foreign nationals. Cases can be registered against property owners found violating the relevant rules. Officials said the enforcement drive will continue across the province. Authorities are maintaining checks in different areas as part of efforts to enforce immigration regulations.

  • | |

    Paramount delays Warner Bros. Discovery merger as …

      Paramount has agreed to delay its planned merger with Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) after facing a major legal challenge from a coalition of 12 U.S. states and the Writers Guild of America (WGA). The move marks a significant development in one of Hollywood’s biggest proposed media mergers, with the companies now expected to wait until at least June 1, 2027—or until a federal court reaches a final decision on the case.  The proposed merger, valued at approximately $110 billion including debt, aims to combine two of the entertainment industry’s largest companies under Paramount Skydance. Supporters argue the deal would create a stronger competitor to streaming giants such as Netflix and Disney by bringing together major film studios, television networks, and streaming platforms. However, critics fear the merger would give the combined company too much power over film production, television licensing, and content distribution.  The legal challenge was filed by California and 11 other states, which claim the merger could significantly reduce competition in the entertainment industry. State attorneys general argue that fewer major studios could result in higher prices, fewer opportunities for creators, and reduced choices for consumers. Separately, the Writers Guild of America has also sued to block the transaction, expressing concerns that further consolidation could lead to fewer writing jobs and weaker bargaining power for creative professionals.  Rather than pushing ahead with the original timeline, Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery agreed to pause the merger while the court considers the case. The agreement eliminates the need for an immediate injunction hearing and instead allows the dispute to move toward a full antitrust trial. Legal experts expect the process to take several months before a final ruling is issued.  The delay could prove costly for Paramount. Under the revised agreement, the company may face substantial financial penalties if the merger is not completed within the agreed timeframe, including daily “ticking fees” that could total billions of dollars if the case extends well beyond the original closing date. Investors have already reacted cautiously, with Paramount shares declining following news of the delay.  Despite the legal setback, Paramount remains committed to completing the acquisition and has vowed to defend the deal in court. The outcome of the case could reshape the future of Hollywood, determining whether another wave of media consolidation moves forward or whether regulators will succeed in placing stricter limits on mergers in the entertainment industry.

  • | | |

    1,300-year-old shipwreck hides incredible gold tre…

    Archaeologists have uncovered an extraordinary collection of gold coins and precious jewelry from a sunken Byzantine-era ship near Croatia’s southern coastline, offering new insights into the empire’s maritime history and suggesting that a high-ranking official may have been among the passengers. The ancient shipwreck was first discovered more than a decade ago, but researchers spent several years conducting detailed underwater excavations before releasing their findings. The results, announced on Thursday, indicate that the vessel most likely dates back to the seventh or eighth century AD, making it one of the region’s most significant archaeological discoveries in recent years. According to experts, the remarkable collection of valuables recovered from the wreck suggests that the ship was far more than an ordinary merchant vessel. Instead, archaeologists believe it may have been transporting an influential government official, noble, or other prominent figure, accompanied by attendants or security personnel. Among the most valuable discoveries are gold coins minted during the reigns of four Byzantine emperors from the Heraclian dynasty, which ruled between AD 610 and 711. Researchers also recovered ornate gold fittings from luxury boxes decorated with rubies, emeralds, and pearls, highlighting the wealth and status of those on board. The quality and rarity of the artifacts provide important clues about the Byzantine Empire’s political, economic, and cultural life during the early medieval period. Experts say the recovered objects demonstrate the sophisticated craftsmanship of the era and reveal the importance of maritime travel for government officials and elite members of society. The ongoing archaeological investigation is expected to deepen historians’ understanding of Byzantine trade routes, royal travel, and naval activity across the Adriatic Sea. Researchers hope that further analysis of the ship’s structure, cargo, and recovered artifacts will help reconstruct the vessel’s final journey and explain the circumstances that led to its sinking centuries ago. Officials involved in the excavation described the discovery as a major milestone in underwater archaeology. As conservation work continues, many of the recovered treasures are expected to be carefully preserved and studied, providing valuable information for future research into the Byzantine Empire and its influence across southeastern Europe. The discovery underscores the importance of underwater archaeological exploration and demonstrates how centuries-old shipwrecks continue to reveal remarkable stories about ancient civilizations, their rulers, and the maritime networks that connected them across the Mediterranean world.

  • | | |

    Justice for Kashmir begins with implementing UN re…

    Pakistan’s High Commissioner to the UK, Tipu Usman, has urged the international community to play a more proactive role in resolving the Kashmir dispute, declaring that “justice for Kashmir begins with implementing United Nations Security Council resolutions” and reaffirming that Pakistan’s support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir “remains unwavering and unconditional.” He was addressing a seminar organised by the Pakistan High Commission in London to observe Youm-e-Istehsal Kashmir, marking the anniversary of India’s August 5, 2019 decision to revoke the special status of Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK). The event brought together British parliamentarians, diplomats, community leaders and members of the British Pakistani and Kashmiri diaspora, who condemned India’s revocation of Article 370 and reiterated support for the Kashmiri people’s right to self-determination. In his keynote address, Tipu Usman called upon the international community, particularly the United Kingdom, to stand on the side of justice by urging India to reverse the unilateral measures introduced on August 5, 2019, restore the rights and special status of Jammu and Kashmir, and honour the relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions. “Pakistan’s support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir remains unwavering and unconditional,” he said, adding that a peaceful and lasting settlement of the dispute must be achieved in accordance with the wishes of the Kashmiri people as reflected in the UN resolutions. The seminar was attended by Lord Qurban Hussain, Baroness Nosheena Mobarik, Afzal Khan MP and Adnan Hussain MP, alongside prominent community figures including Councillor Yasmine Dar, UK-Pakistan Kashmiri Councillors Forum Chairman Liaqat Ali MBE, Jammu Kashmir Self Determination Movement International Chairman Raja Najabat Hussain and former Deputy Mayor of Peterborough Mohammad Nadeem. Speakers strongly criticised India’s constitutional changes of August 2019, describing them as illegal and unconstitutional. They expressed concern over the human rights situation in IIOJK and called for an immediate end to alleged rights violations. Participants stressed that the Kashmir dispute remains an internationally recognised issue that should be resolved through dialogue and in line with UN Security Council resolutions. The seminar also proposed a strategic roadmap to enhance engagement with policymakers, parliamentarians and international stakeholders to build support for a just and lasting resolution of the Kashmir dispute. Messages from the President of Pakistan, the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister were read out during the event, reiterating Pakistan’s continued diplomatic, political and moral support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir. The ceremony concluded with participants observing a minute’s silence in memory of those who lost their lives in the Kashmir conflict.

  • | |

    Capital one defends closure of Trump organization accounts

    Capital One Financial has responded to a lawsuit filed over its decision to close bank accounts linked to the Trump Organization, arguing that the move was based on internal anti-money laundering reviews rather than political or ideological motivations. The bank, in a legal filing submitted on Friday, stated that it closed the accounts following a detailed assessment conducted by its anti-money laundering (AML) specialists. The company argued that the decision was made after months of analysis and was consistent with its internal policies as well as regulatory requirements. The filing represents the first time a major bank has publicly connected concerns related to money laundering risks with its decision to end a banking relationship involving the Trump family business. However, Capital One clarified that it has never accused the Trump Organization of committing illegal money laundering activities. Instead, the bank said that the account closures were the result of routine compliance procedures. Capital One argued that documents presented in the case, along with the plaintiffs’ own claims, demonstrate that the decision was related to AML concerns rather than any attempt to discriminate against the company because of political beliefs. The dispute began after Capital One informed the Trump Organization in March 2021 that it planned to close more than 300 accounts associated with businesses connected to former U.S. President Donald Trump. The Trump Organization and Eric Trump, Trump’s son, later filed a lawsuit in March 2025 in a Florida federal court, claiming that the bank had unfairly “debanked” them because of political pressure and what they described as the company’s “woke” policies. The lawsuit alleged that Capital One’s decision was influenced by the political environment following the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. The plaintiffs argued that the bank wanted to distance itself from Trump and his supporters during a period of intense public and political scrutiny. A federal court in Miami has already dismissed two versions of the complaint but allowed the plaintiffs opportunities to revise and submit updated claims. Capital One argued in its latest filing that the amended complaint continues to contain the same weaknesses as earlier versions and fails to establish evidence of unlawful discrimination. The bank accused the Trump Organization of presenting selective information and relying on statements taken out of context. Capital One maintained that the allegations of political motivation were unsupported and ignored the broader circumstances behind the account closures. According to the bank’s filing, certain transaction patterns identified during its review matched types of activities that federal banking authorities commonly recognize as requiring additional examination. Capital One said its AML team followed established procedures before reaching the decision to terminate the accounts. The legal battle comes during a broader political debate in the United States over the issue of “debanking,” with some conservatives accusing financial institutions of unfairly targeting individuals and organizations because of their political views. During his second presidential term, Trump’s administration has criticized such practices and taken steps aimed at preventing what it describes as discriminatory banking decisions. The controversy has also involved other major financial institutions. Trump previously filed a lawsuit against JPMorgan Chase, making similar allegations regarding political discrimination. During his first term in office, Trump also took legal action against Capital One and Deutsche Bank in an effort to prevent the release of his financial records to Congress. The case continues to highlight the growing tension between banking compliance practices, political concerns, and the debate over whether financial institutions should have broader restrictions on ending relationships with controversial clients.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *