azma bukhari hits
| |

Azma Bukhari hits back at Sharjeel Memon over AJK …

Punjab Information Minister Azma Bukhari has strongly criticised Sindh Minister Sharjeel Memon over his remarks about the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections.

Azma Bukhari told Memon to “drink cold water and pour some on his head,” saying the election was over and the people of AJK had already delivered their verdict.

She said the election results had proved the Pakistan Peoples Party’s (PPP) calculations wrong and dismissed its allegations regarding pre-poll rigging.

Bukhari claimed that a PML-N candidate had recovered bags containing ballot papers from the residence of a PPP candidate one night before polling.

Taking a sharp jibe at the PPP, she said its “arrow had disappeared in the valleys of Kashmir,” while the PML-N’s “lion” was roaring across the region.

She said AJK voters had given their verdict in favour of PML-N leader Nawaz Sharif during the first phase of the elections.

Bukhari urged the PPP to learn to accept defeat instead of raising allegations whenever it loses an election. She said political parties should celebrate victories but also show maturity in defeat.

She further questioned the PPP’s position on elections in Gilgit-Baltistan. Bukhari asked whether the party considered those elections transparent because it had formed the government there.

She said it was unfair to describe an election as transparent when a party wins and allege rigging when it loses.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Iran claims Trump’s Press Secretary quit over di…

    The Iranian embassy in South Africa has claimed that White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt resigned because she had become frustrated and disillusioned with US President Donald Trump, rather than stepping down to spend more time with her family. According to foreign media reports, the Iranian embassy shared a photograph of Leavitt appearing displeased and accompanied it with a strongly worded message accusing Trump of betraying those around him. The embassy alleged that Trump had sent others into danger while avoiding the situation himself, adding that such conduct left little room for trust or friendship. Trump has confirmed Leavitt’s resignation, while the White House rejected the Iranian embassy’s account as false. Officials also disputed the embassy’s claim that Leavitt had been with Trump during his visit to Turkey, further challenging the basis of Tehran’s allegations.

  • | |

    Nirmal Purja feared missing in Pakistan avalanche

    World-renowned mountaineer Nirmal Purja is among 10 climbers feared missing after a powerful avalanche struck an expedition on Broad Peak in Pakistan’s Karakoram mountain range. According to the Alpine Club of Pakistan, the avalanche hit the team around midday on Thursday while they were attempting to climb the 8,047-metre peak. Since the incident, all members of the expedition have reportedly lost communication, raising serious concerns about their safety. The missing group is said to include climbers from Pakistan, Oman, China and the United States. Rescue officials are working to gather more information as efforts continue to establish contact with the team. The Alpine Club stated that it is coordinating closely with government authorities and relevant agencies to launch an urgent search and rescue operation. Helicopter support and other emergency resources are being arranged, although rescue efforts may depend on weather conditions and access to the remote mountain. Nirmal Purja, a Nepal-born climber, is widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest high-altitude mountaineers. He gained global recognition in 2019 after becoming the first person to climb all 14 of the world’s mountains above 8,000 metres in just over six months, a record-breaking achievement that earned international acclaim. Broad Peak, located near K2 in northern Pakistan, is one of the world’s 14 highest mountains and is known for its challenging terrain and unpredictable weather. Avalanches and harsh conditions have made it one of the most dangerous climbing destinations in the region. Authorities have not yet confirmed the fate of the climbers. Search teams remain on standby, hoping for improved weather conditions to begin a full-scale rescue mission. The mountaineering community is closely monitoring developments as hopes remain that the missing climbers will be found safely.

  • | | |

    Bullet casing found near spot where Mir Raza Ali&#…

      Police investigating the death of a young man, Mir Raza Ali, have recovered a spent bullet casing from the area where his body was found in Karachi’s Gulistan-e-Jauhar neighborhood. The discovery is being treated as a potentially important piece of forensic evidence that may help investigators determine the circumstances surrounding the incident. According to police sources, the bullet casing has been collected and will be sent for forensic examination. Experts will conduct ballistic testing to determine the type of firearm from which the bullet was fired. Investigators hope the analysis will establish whether the casing can be linked to a specific pistol or any weapon previously used in other criminal cases. Officials said that forensic testing is a standard part of the investigation and could provide valuable clues regarding the events leading up to Mir Raza Ali’s death. If the casing matches a firearm recovered in the future or one already registered in forensic databases, it could help identify those responsible or provide investigators with new leads. Police sources stressed that it is still too early to reach any conclusions about the case. They cautioned against speculation, saying that the investigation remains in its initial stages and that all available evidence is being examined carefully. Authorities emphasized that no official determination has yet been made regarding the motive or the exact circumstances of the young man’s death. Investigators have also confirmed that the pistol believed to have been used in the incident has not yet been recovered. The search for the weapon is continuing, and police teams are working to locate it as part of the ongoing investigation. Recovering the firearm is considered a key objective, as it would allow forensic experts to compare it directly with the recovered bullet casing and establish whether the two are connected. In addition to the forensic examination, investigators are expected to continue gathering evidence from the crime scene and surrounding areas. Police may also review available surveillance footage, interview potential witnesses, and collect any additional material that could assist in reconstructing the sequence of events. Such investigative steps are commonly taken in cases involving suspicious deaths to ensure that all possible evidence is preserved and analyzed. Authorities have reiterated that the investigation is progressing and that further updates will be shared once forensic reports and additional evidence become available. Until then, police are urging the public to avoid drawing conclusions based on unverified information. The recovery of the bullet casing marks an important development in the investigation, but officials maintain that it represents only one piece of the overall evidence. The final findings will depend on forensic analysis, witness statements, and any additional evidence collected during the course of the inquiry. For now, investigators remain focused on uncovering the facts surrounding the death of Mir Raza Ali and determining whether any criminal involvement was responsible for the incident.

  • |

    US appeals court blocks Trump’s $400 million White House ballroom project

    A US federal appeals court on Friday ordered President Donald Trump’s administration to halt construction of its $400 million ballroom at the White House, ruling that the executive branch lacks the authority to make such extensive alterations to the landmark without explicit approval from Congress. ​The 2–1 decision by a panel of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upholds an injunction obtained by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The preservation group filed a lawsuit last year after the administration demolished the historic East Wing to build a 90,000-square-foot ballroom complex. ​Writing for the majority, Judges Patricia Millett and Bradley Garcia rejected the administration’s stance that executive authority permitted the unilateral overhaul. ​”Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House and its Executive Residence”, the judges wrote. “Whether or not a massive ballroom should be constructed is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for Executive self-help.” ​The court clarified that its ruling does not permanently block the project, but requires the administration to secure legislative authorization before proceeding with aboveground construction. The order maintains an earlier district court ruling by Judge Richard Leon, which blocked aboveground work on the ballroom while permitting underground construction to proceed for bunker and national security facilities. ​The panel granted a 14-day stay on its ruling, allowing the Justice Department time to file an emergency petition with the US Supreme Court. ​President Trump strongly criticized the decision on social media, describing it as “horrendous, politically motivated, and unlawful”. He argued that the project functions as a broader security complex incorporating bomb shelters, medical units, and drone shielding, warning that the halt poses a threat to national security. ​The National Trust praised the ruling, with CEO Brent Leggs stating that the decision affirms the principle that only Congress holds the authority to approve major structural additions to the White House. ​Judge Neomi Rao dissented, siding with the administration’s position that the executive branch retains sufficient discretion over the maintenance and security of the presidential residence.

  • | | |

    Pakistan imposes new restrictions on foreign media

    Pakistani authorities have exposed regulatory measures governing foreign media operations in the country. The strategy has triggered an alarm among press freedom advocates, legal observers, and media personnel. Under the newly issued Foreign Media Facilitation Guidelines, journalists representing international organizations will no longer be permitted to travel or cover news events outside three major metropolitan hubs without explicit prior authorization from the government. The regulations come at a delicate juncture marked by escalating political instability, public demonstrations, and security crackdowns across key regions including recent demonstrations connected to heightened tensions in Kashmir and subsequent enforcement actions in urban centers like Lahore. Critics argue that by constraining the scope of international newsgathering precisely when accurate coverage is most vital, the state risks deepening information voids and exacerbating the spread of unverified claims. Key Requirements of the New Media Framework Administered through the External Publicity Wing of Pakistan’s Ministry of Information, the updated regulatory policy establishes procedural hurdles for international news agencies. Foreign correspondents, local staff, contributors, and freelance journalists working for international outlets must secure an official No Objection Certificate (NOC) before traveling to conduct reporting assignments outside Islamabad, Karachi, and Lahore. Regions requiring prior approval now explicitly cover all provincial territories, sensitive border zones, and Pakistan-administered Kashmir. The framework provides no defined processing timeframe for NOC applications, leaving reporting teams facing unpredictable delays and potential administrative holds. The Ministry reserves the authority to suspend or revoke official media accreditation if reporting is judged to run counter to the country’s national sovereignty, ideology, or public safety phrasing that legal analysts describe as intentionally open-ended. Backlash from Analysts and Rights Groups The enactment of these guidelines has drawn sharp rebuke from political commentators, civil society organizations, and international press watchdogs, who view the move as part of a systematic contraction of independent journalism within the country. Former senator and political commentator Mustafa Nawaz Khokhar highlighted the grave consequences of curtailing foreign news organizations, warning that restricting legitimate press operations ultimately undermines public trust. These guidelines are tantamount to choking international media in an increasingly shrinking space, Khokhar noted, emphasizing the vital role global news outlets play when local media environments face structural pressure. The public looks at the international media for independent reporting. Placing restrictions simply creates more room for disinformation and the spread of fake news.   Rights groups including the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ) and international watchdogs have echoed these concerns. They’re pointing out that advance the requirement of government permission for routine reporting effectively grants authorities veto power over what news reaches the global audience. Broader Context of Press Freedom in Pakistan Pakistan’s media environment has historically operated in a complex space balancing constitutional guarantees of free speech against national security laws. However, media analysts note that state oversight of both traditional print/broadcast journalism and online digital spaces has tightened significantly in recent years. The introduction of the new foreign media guidelines coincides with broader legislative shifts aimed at regulating online speech and social media platforms. Observers express concern that administrative barriers, combined with strict digital laws, could leave remote or politically sensitive areas completely cut off from independent news coverage. By limiting foreign journalists’ mobility primarily to the capital and two largest economic centers, field reporting from rural regions, border zones, and conflict-affected territories will become exceptionally difficult to conduct legally. Implications for International Coverage As international newsrooms adapt to the new framework, news gathering strategies across South Asia are likely to face operational friction. Bureau chiefs and correspondents report that unpredictable NOC processing times make time-sensitive breaking news coverage outside major cities nearly impossible to guarantee.   Without direct on-the-ground access for independent journalists, global news consumers may increasingly have to rely on official statements or unverified social media updates during crises. For a country navigating complex domestic politics and delicate international relations, press freedom advocates warn that restricting the lens through which the world views Pakistan could backfire, isolating the nation’s political discourse and fostering an environment where misinformation thrives unchecked.

  • | | |

    Rawalakot security operation underway as AJK polic…

    Security forces have launched an operation against armed groups in Rawalakot, Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), after gunmen allegedly occupied several buildings and opened fire on law enforcement personnel, according to the AJK Police spokesperson. Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, SSP Khawar Ali Shaukat, spokesperson for the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Police, said armed individuals had taken positions inside various buildings in the city. He stated that security forces responded by initiating a full-scale operation to regain control of the affected areas. According to the police spokesperson, one Rangers personnel was killed during the attack. He said the operation resulted in the arrest of several suspects, who were allegedly found in possession of modern weapons. Authorities have not yet released further details regarding the identities of those detained or the exact number of arrests made. Shaukat alleged that the armed groups were linked to elements seeking to destabilize the peaceful environment in Azad Kashmir. He also claimed that authorities were aware of what he described as negative propaganda being circulated on social media by hostile actors. The spokesperson emphasized that state institutions had exercised restraint throughout the situation but warned that attacks on law enforcement agencies would not be tolerated. He said security forces remained committed to restoring law and order and ensuring those responsible for the violence are brought to justice. “The writ of the state will be upheld, and anyone challenging it will face legal action,” he said, adding that police and other law enforcement agencies would continue operations until the security situation is fully brought under control. Authorities said every possible measure is being taken to restore peace and protect residents in the affected areas. Security personnel remain deployed across Rawalakot, while the operation continues. Officials have not yet released additional information regarding the motive behind the attack or whether any further casualties have occurred. The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities are expected to provide further updates as the operation progresses. The developments have heightened security concerns in the region, with officials reiterating their commitment to maintaining public order while urging the public to rely on verified information and avoid the spread of unconfirmed reports as the situation evolves.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *