israeli settlers torch
| | | |

Israeli settlers torch two mosques in West Bank as…

WEST BANK: Two mosques were set ablaze in the occupied West Bank overnight, Palestinian officials said on Sunday, in the latest escalation of violence that has sharply raised tensions across the territory.

The attacks targeted a mosque under construction in Qusra, south of Nablus, and another mosque in the village of Kour, near Tulkarm. The incidents came only days after a deadly confrontation in the nearby village of Tal that left four Palestinians and two Israelis dead.

In Qusra, Mayor Abdel Azim Wadi said settlers set fire to the mosque’s entrance and damaged parts of its stonework. Hebrew graffiti, including the word “revenge,” was reportedly sprayed across the walls.

The Israeli military said troops were sent to the area after receiving reports of the fire. According to the army, the suspected attackers had already fled when soldiers arrived. Israeli police were expected to collect evidence and investigate the incident.

The second attack took place in Kour, where Palestinian officials said a mosque was set alight and racist slogans were written on its walls. Worshippers and local residents managed to prevent the fire from causing further destruction, according to reports.

The mosque attacks have added another disturbing chapter to a widening cycle of violence in the West Bank, where clashes, arson attacks and raids have intensified since the Gaza war began in October 2023.

The latest incidents also follow a deadly confrontation in Tal on Friday, where four Palestinians and two Israelis were killed. The aftermath has triggered further arrests, raids and attacks in surrounding Palestinian communities.

With tensions already running high, the torching of places of worship has raised fresh fears that the latest violence could fuel further retaliation and deepen an already volatile situation across the occupied territory.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Pakistan, US boost anti-terror partnership

    Pakistan and the United States have reaffirmed their commitment to expanding cooperation against terrorism during the fourth round of the Pakistan-US Counterterrorism Dialogue held in Washington. The meeting brought together senior officials from both countries to discuss the changing regional and global security situation. The dialogue was led by Pakistan’s Special Secretary Ambassador Nabeel Munir and the US Coordinator for Counterterrorism, Ambassador Gregory LoGerfo. Both sides reviewed the current terrorist threat environment. They exchanged views on security challenges facing the region. Officials also explored practical ways to strengthen cooperation in tackling terrorism and violent extremism. A joint statement issued after the meeting said both countries share a common interest in defeating terrorist organisations. It added that Pakistan and the United States remain committed to working together to improve regional and international security. The discussions focused on strengthening border security and improving coordination between the two countries. Officials also discussed measures to disrupt terrorist financing and facilitation networks. They agreed that closer cooperation is essential to prevent terrorist groups from expanding their activities. During the dialogue, both delegations identified several militant organisations that continue to threaten regional peace and stability. These included ISIS-Khorasan (ISIS-K), Al Qaeda, Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), and the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA), along with affiliated groups. Both governments reaffirmed their determination to confront these organisations and protect their citizens from terrorism. The two countries also agreed to deepen cooperation through bilateral engagement and multilateral platforms. They stressed the importance of intelligence sharing, information exchange, and joint efforts to improve counterterrorism capabilities. Pakistan’s Foreign Office said the two sides held detailed discussions on regional and global terrorist threats. Both countries pledged to enhance collaboration in addressing security challenges and maintaining regional stability. The latest dialogue reflects improving relations between Islamabad and Washington after years of strained ties following the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan in 2021. Since then, both countries have gradually rebuilt engagement by focusing on areas of mutual interest instead of past differences. Besides counterterrorism, Pakistan and the United States have increased cooperation in trade, investment, climate change, and regional peace. Officials from both countries believe continued dialogue is essential to strengthen bilateral relations and promote long-term stability.

  • |

    McConnell out of hospital but not yet cleared to r…

    US Senator Mitch McConnell has been discharged from hospital but is still not “medically cleared” to return to work in the Senate, his doctors have confirmed, as the 84-year-old Kentucky Republican continues intensive physical therapy following a fall and a mild case of pneumonia . “I’m still working hard to get back to my full schedule of work in the Senate and in Kentucky, keeping up with intense physical therapy per my doctors’ orders,” McConnell said in a statement shared by his office on Monday . His office released a photo taken on July 26 showing McConnell smiling alongside his wife, former Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao . McConnell’s office did not provide a timeline for his return, and he remains at a rehabilitation center . The senator will not be able to attend an upcoming celebration in western Kentucky, the statement added . According to a statement from his medical team, McConnell has maintained “a strenuous course of physical therapy and rehabilitation, including multiple sessions a day designed to rebuild strength and reduce the risk of future falls” since his discharge from hospital care . The statement noted that “his bout with childhood polio continues to be a significant factor in his mobility,” and that he is “not yet medically cleared to leave the rehab facility and return to the office” . Since his admission to hospital in mid-June, there has been limited communication and detail from McConnell and his office about his condition, leading to widespread speculation about his absence in Washington and on social media . McConnell, who holds the title of the longest-serving Senate party leader in US history, has faced a number of health challenges in recent years, including previous falls and episodes of public freezing during press conferences . His extended absence comes at a critical time for Senate Republicans, with key legislative battles and leadership negotiations ongoing .

  • |

    TikTok star Sydney Towle dies at 26 after cancer battle

    Sydney Towle, a popular TikTok creator who documented her battle with a rare form of cancer, has died at the age of 26 after a nearly three-year fight with the disease. Her family confirmed that the American influencer passed away on Thursday due to complications from cholangiocarcinoma, a rare and aggressive cancer of the bile ducts that had spread to other parts of her body. The heartbreaking news was shared by her brother, Austin, in a video posted on TikTok. He said Sydney died peacefully after enduring an incredibly difficult journey with the illness. “Syd went peacefully last night after an almost three-year-long battle with cholangiocarcinoma,” Austin said in the emotional announcement, thanking supporters for standing by the family throughout her treatment. Sydney had built a loyal online community of more than 200,000 followers across social media platforms, where she openly documented her cancer journey. Through regular updates, she shared the physical and emotional realities of living with a life-threatening illness while encouraging others to remain hopeful in the face of adversity. Rather than focusing solely on her diagnosis, Sydney used her platform to educate people about rare cancers and the importance of recognizing symptoms early. She frequently urged followers to advocate for their own health, seek medical advice when something felt wrong, and never ignore persistent health concerns. In a statement released after her passing, her family expressed immense pride in the courage and determination she displayed throughout her battle. “We are so proud of how hard Sydney fought and for sharing her journey with so many people,” the statement read. The family also said that Sydney was deeply committed to raising awareness about rare cancers and inspiring others through her story. They pledged to continue honoring her legacy by supporting the causes she cared about and ensuring her message reaches more people. “Sydney wanted to raise awareness for rare cancers and was passionate about promoting self-advocacy. We will continue her legacy and honor her in every way we can,” they added. Just a few months before her death, Sydney posted videos from the hospital while receiving treatment for complications related to her illness. Despite the pain and uncertainty she faced, her videos reflected resilience, gratitude, and optimism, qualities that resonated with thousands of followers. Her candid updates, positive outlook, and willingness to share vulnerable moments earned her admiration from people around the world. Many supporters credited her with helping them better understand the realities of cancer while inspiring them to remain hopeful during their own struggles. Following the announcement of her death, tributes poured in across social media, with fans remembering Sydney as a courageous young woman who transformed her personal battle into a source of strength and awareness for others. Her advocacy for rare cancer research, patient empowerment, and early diagnosis leaves behind a lasting legacy that continues to inspire countless people.

  • |

    Ukraine accuses Russia of launching North Korean missiles in deadly regional strikes

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Moscow of deploying North Korean ballistic missiles during a series of overnight attacks across Ukraine that left at least seven people dead in Zaporizhzhia. Local officials in Zaporizhzhia reported that the strikes hit the city’s Zaporizhstal metallurgical plant with guided bombs and missiles, killing seven employees, injuring 24 others, and forcing the facility to suspend operations. The barrage was part of a broader aerial offensive involving 120 Russian drones and multiple missile launches that disrupted power supplies in Kharkiv and Kherson while damaging civilian infrastructure in Kyiv and Sumy. In response, Ukrainian forces launched retaliatory deep-space strikes targeting critical Russian supply and industrial assets. Ukrainian drones struck facilities belonging to online retailer Wildberries in the Voronezh region, as well as a petrochemical plant in western Siberia. The long-range campaign follows a strike on the Tanevo oil refinery in Tatarstan, located over 680 miles inside Russian territory, which killed 13 people and injured dozens. Zelensky warned that Moscow’s growing reliance on North Korean weaponry and troops presents a expanding international security threat. Western military intelligence previously noted that thousands of North Korean soldiers had been deployed to support Russian units in the Kursk region, where allied forces suffered heavy casualties during autumn combat.

  • | |

    SBP appoints 10 primary dealers for FY27

    KARACHI: The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has appointed 10 financial institutions as Primary Dealers (PDs) and two institutions as Special Purpose Primary Dealers (SPDs) for the fiscal year 2026-27. The appointments will strengthen the government’s domestic borrowing programme and support the country’s financial market. The government continues to rely heavily on domestic borrowing to finance its fiscal requirements. In this system, primary dealers play an important role by participating in government debt auctions and helping raise funds through Treasury Bills and Pakistan Investment Bonds. According to the central bank, United Bank Limited (UBL), National Bank of Pakistan (NBP), and Bank Alfalah secured the top three positions among primary dealers during the fiscal year 2025-26. Their rankings were based on overall performance in government securities auctions and market activities. The 10 institutions selected as Primary Dealers for FY2026-27 are United Bank Limited, National Bank of Pakistan, Bank Alfalah, Habib Bank Limited, Habib Metropolitan Bank, MCB Bank, The Bank of Punjab, Pak Oman Investment Company, JS Bank, and Citi Bank NA Pakistan Branch. The State Bank has also appointed the Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited (CDC) and the National Clearing Company of Pakistan Limited (NCCPL) as Special Purpose Primary Dealers for the new fiscal year. The appointments were made after evaluating applications submitted by financial institutions under the eligibility criteria laid down in the Primary Dealer System Rules. The central bank had invited applications for the new fiscal year through a circular issued earlier this year. Primary dealers are responsible for purchasing government securities directly from the central bank during auctions. They then distribute these securities among commercial banks, financial institutions and other investors. Their participation ensures that government borrowing operations continue without disruption. These institutions also play an important role in the secondary market by providing liquidity and facilitating the buying and selling of government securities. Their presence helps improve market efficiency and contributes to transparent price discovery. The role of primary dealers has become increasingly important as Pakistan continues to depend on domestic sources to meet its financing needs. Through their participation in debt auctions, they help the government raise funds while supporting stability in the country’s financial system.

  • Speeding Car Crashes into Daycare Injuring 14 Children in Kanchanaburi, Thailand

    BANGKOK – A speeding car crashed through the wall of a child daycare center in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. The terrifying accident happened on August 7, while dozens of young students were taking afternoon naps. The violent impact sent broken concrete flying across the room and injured 14 young children. Emergency rescue teams quickly rushed to the […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *