azma bukhari mocks
| |

Azma Bukhari mocks PPP over Lahore rally

Punjab Information Minister Azma Bukhari has criticised the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) over its recent political gathering in Lahore.

She also extended birthday wishes to former president and PPP leader Asif Ali Zardari.

In a statement, Bukhari said Zardari should be thankful that he had been spared the embarrassment of another poorly attended gathering at Minar-e-Pakistan.

Her remarks came after the PPP announced a Lahore gathering to mark Zardari’s birthday.

Bukhari questioned the decision to organise the event in Lahore. She said holding a gathering with a large number of empty chairs would be disrespectful to Zardari.

She also criticised those who advised the PPP leadership to hold the event in Lahore. She said the party should review the advice it receives from its provincial leadership.

Bukhari claimed that the Governor House Punjab had a large number of empty chairs during the gathering held the previous night.

She claimed around 2,000 chairs had been arranged for the event. However, she alleged that only around 150 people were present.

The minister used the reported attendance to question the PPP’s political standing in Punjab.

She said the party’s poor position in the province was partly linked to the information being provided to its leadership.

According to Bukhari, some party leaders are giving senior leadership inaccurate reports about the party’s popularity and political strength.

She said such reporting could prevent the PPP leadership from understanding the actual situation on the ground.

Bukhari also criticised the PPP’s Punjab leadership for what she described as misplaced priorities.

She alleged that the provincial leadership was more focused on the Punjab government than on strengthening the PPP itself.

The minister said the party should focus on expanding its political presence and improving its organisational structure in Punjab.

She argued that greater attention to party affairs could have prevented the PPP from reaching its current political position in the province.

Bukhari’s comments reflect the continuing political rivalry between the ruling Punjab setup and opposition parties in the province.

The PPP has traditionally maintained a political presence in Punjab. However, its influence in the province has faced challenges from major political parties.

The latest exchange also highlights the importance of public gatherings for political parties. Large rallies are often used to demonstrate public support and organisational strength.

Bukhari’s criticism focused heavily on the reported attendance at the Lahore event. She suggested that the number of participants did not match the scale of the arrangements.

The PPP has yet to publicly respond to all of Bukhari’s allegations.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Wanted terrorist commander killed in Bannu operati…

    BANNU: A highly wanted terrorist commander carrying a bounty of Rs6 million has been killed during an intelligence-based operation (IBO) in Bannu, police said on Thursday. The slain militant was identified as Naseer Muhammad, alias Geedarh, according to Bannu District Police Officer (DPO) Captain (Retd.) Muhammad Furqan Bilal. The operation was jointly conducted by Bannu Police and the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) following intelligence reports about the presence and movement of suspected terrorists in the area. Police said security teams launched targeted actions in Akbar Ali Khan Kili, Sada Khel, Sadarwan and surrounding areas under the supervision of DPO Bilal. Search and surveillance activities were also carried out during the operation. Security was strengthened in different parts of Bannu Township and areas falling within the Domel police jurisdiction. Authorities said further information about the operation and the identity and activities of the slain terrorist would be released after the operation was fully completed. The latest action is part of intensified counterterrorism operations in Bannu, where security forces have carried out several intelligence-based raids in recent weeks. On August 10, a joint operation in the Miryan area resulted in the killing of a suspected terrorist and the detention of eight others. District police, CTD, Elite Force and Pakistan Army personnel participated in that operation. According to police, the suspect killed during the August 10 operation was allegedly attempting to plant an improvised explosive device when security personnel intercepted him. Weapons and ammunition were also recovered. A similar operation was conducted in Bannu on July 20, when another suspected terrorist was killed and eight others were detained by a joint security team. The latest operation comes amid continued security concerns across Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. The province has witnessed a series of attacks targeting police, security personnel and public infrastructure in recent months. On July 15, terrorists attacked the Miryan police station in Bannu using an explosives-laden vehicle before engaging security personnel in a prolonged gun battle. The attack left several police officers and civilians injured. Security officials have since increased surveillance and intelligence-based operations across sensitive areas of the district. Bannu and other parts of southern K-P have remained particularly vulnerable because of their proximity to the Afghan border and the continued threat posed by militant networks. The federal government has repeatedly called on Afghan authorities to prevent militant groups from using Afghan territory to plan and carry out attacks against Pakistan. The security situation has also resulted in increased operations targeting suspected militant hideouts, movement routes and support networks. Earlier incidents in Bannu included attacks on public infrastructure and attempts to damage key transport links through explosives.

  • |

    ‘Can’t wait to watch Abdullah Shafique in England’, says Ian Bishop

    Former West Indies fast bowler and renowned cricket commentator Ian Bishop believes Pakistan opener Abdullah Shafique has the temperament and technique to succeed in English conditions, saying he is eager to watch the young batter during the upcoming Test series against England. Shafique has emerged as one of Pakistan’s most dependable red-ball batters following his remarkable performances against the West Indies, and Bishop feels the 26-year-old has all the qualities needed to handle one of cricket’s toughest challenges. Speaking about the Pakistani opener, Bishop described Shafique as a calm and composed batter who remains patient even in difficult situations. “Abdullah Shafique is a composed batter who knows how to build an innings under pressure,” Bishop said, adding that such qualities are crucial for success in England, where swinging conditions and disciplined bowling regularly test even the world’s best players. The former West Indies pacer acknowledged that English pitches present a unique challenge but noted that Shafique already has valuable experience after representing Yorkshire in county cricket. Although that exposure will help him adapt more quickly, Bishop stressed that delivering consistently in England remains a demanding task for any international batter. Shafique’s confidence has soared after his outstanding performance in the recently concluded Test series against the West Indies. Drafted into Pakistan’s squad after Shan Masood suffered an injury, the right-handed opener seized the opportunity in spectacular fashion. He remained unbeaten on 160, producing one of the finest innings of his career and becoming the first Pakistani batter in 49 years to score 150 or more runs in a Test innings in the West Indies. The memorable knock not only strengthened Pakistan’s batting lineup but also reinforced Shafique’s reputation as one of the country’s brightest Test prospects. With Pakistan set to face England in a highly anticipated Test series, fans and cricket experts alike will be watching closely to see whether Abdullah Shafique can carry his superb form into English conditions and establish himself among the world’s elite opening batters.

  • | |

    US report urges Pakistan to open up budget and deb…

    WASHINGTON: Pakistan needs to improve transparency in its public finances and give Parliament and citizens earlier access to key budget and debt information, according to a new US State Department assessment. The department’s 2026 Fiscal Transparency Report said Pakistan had made progress in making financial information publicly available but still faced important gaps, particularly in the timely release of its proposed budget and disclosure of government liabilities. The report noted that Pakistan’s approved budget and year-end financial reports were easily accessible to the public, including online. However, it found that the government did not release its executive budget proposal within a reasonable timeframe. According to the assessment, publishing the proposed budget earlier would give lawmakers and the public more time to examine the government’s spending and revenue priorities before the document is formally approved. The report also raised concerns over limited public information about government debt, especially liabilities linked to major state-owned enterprises. Greater disclosure, it said, would help provide a clearer picture of the country’s financial position and allow Parliament to better assess potential fiscal risks. Despite these shortcomings, the US assessment acknowledged that Pakistan’s publicly available budget documents contained substantial information on planned government revenues and expenditures, including income from natural resources. Pakistan’s auditing system also received a largely positive assessment. The report said financial information was generally reliable and subject to review by the country’s supreme audit institution, which it found to have an appropriate level of independence under international standards. Audit findings were also made available to the public within a reasonable period. The report found that Pakistan had established legal procedures for awarding natural resource extraction contracts and licences and appeared to follow those rules in practice. It also noted that information on public procurement contracts was accessible and described the legal framework governing the country’s sovereign wealth fund as sound. The State Department identified three major areas where Pakistan could further strengthen fiscal transparency: releasing the executive budget proposal on time, providing more detailed information about government debt, including state-owned enterprise liabilities, and bringing military and intelligence budgets under adequate parliamentary or civilian oversight. Overall, the report did not portray Pakistan’s financial system as broadly opaque. Instead, it recognised several areas of progress while calling for stronger parliamentary scrutiny and greater disclosure of information that could help lawmakers and the public understand the country’s fiscal risks.

  • |

    When did Cristiano Ronaldo tell his family about his wedding?

    Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodriguez appear to have kept their long-awaited wedding remarkably private, with reports suggesting that the football superstar informed his mother and siblings about the ceremony only moments before it took place. According to reports, Ronaldo and Rodriguez married on August 11, 2026, in an intimate ceremony in Portugal after nearly a decade together. The couple reportedly chose Ronaldo’s residence for the occasion, keeping the guest list extremely small. Only four witnesses and the couple’s children were said to have attended the ceremony. Ronaldo’s mother, Dolores Aveiro, and his three siblings were reportedly not present. Portuguese television presenter Cristina Ferreira claimed that Ronaldo’s family may have learned about the wedding only around 30 seconds before the ceremony. The surprising detail has attracted considerable attention, particularly because of the close relationship Ronaldo has maintained with his family throughout his career. Despite not attending the ceremony, Dolores appeared to publicly welcome the marriage. After Ronaldo shared photographs of the couple’s wedding rings, his mother responded with a heart emoji. The family’s relationship had previously been the subject of speculation after Georgina reportedly unfollowed Dolores on Instagram. Rumours of a disagreement quickly circulated online, but Dolores dismissed the reports, saying the social media action had simply been a mistake and that there was no family dispute. Ronaldo and Georgina have been together for almost 10 years and have built a family life largely away from the footballer’s professional commitments. Their relationship has attracted enormous international attention, making their decision to keep the wedding private particularly intriguing to fans. The couple made their first public appearance as husband and wife only days after the reported ceremony. They attended an Al Nassr vs Al Fateh match at Riyadh’s Al-Awwal Park with their children. Georgina appeared at the stadium wearing a striking golden silky jacket, while Ronaldo opted for an all-black outfit. The appearance gave fans their first glimpse of the newly married couple following their private celebration and added another memorable chapter to Ronaldo and Georgina’s high-profile relationship. While the reported 30-second family notification remains the most surprising detail surrounding the ceremony, the couple’s decision to celebrate quietly suggests they wanted the milestone to remain firmly within their immediate circle.

  • | |

    Greek police fast-track toxicology tests in probe …

    Greek investigators say they are prioritizing toxicology testing in hopes of determining within days how a Scottish woman died after her body was discovered inside a suitcase in Athens. Elisabeth-Jane Ross, 38, was found in an abandoned building in the Kypseli district of the Greek capital on July 18, reportedly by a homeless man who came across the body. Known to family as Lisa, she is believed to have traveled to Greece from Edinburgh in late June and was reported missing on July 15. Greek authorities are also working to locate American friends of Lisa’s who they say were staying in the same Kypseli area at the time she disappeared. Police have not yet determined whether her death is being treated as a homicide. A post mortem examination is currently underway, and investigators say toxicology results could help establish whether foul play was involved in her death. Such tests typically take anywhere from several weeks to a few months to complete, depending on case complexity and the workload of forensic laboratories. However, police spokesperson Konstantina Dimoglidou told a Scottish broadcaster on Saturday that authorities have made the case a priority and expect results within days, saying investigators need answers on how she died without further delay. According to police accounts, Lisa initially stayed in the Keratsini area, located roughly six miles west of central Athens, with Greek friends. She told them that on July 15 she planned to travel to Kypseli to meet American friends or acquaintances. Investigators are now trying to identify those individuals. Officials also noted that her mobile phone continued transmitting a signal and sending messages for several days after her death is believed to have occurred. The UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office confirmed Wednesday that it is providing consular support to Lisa’s family and remains in contact with Greek authorities. Scotland’s First Minister John Swinney described the case as absolutely appalling and said the Scottish government and the FCDO would continue supporting her family. Police Scotland said it is also providing assistance to the family as the investigation continues.

  • | |

    Pakistan mediates US-Iran talks over Hormuz crisis

    Pakistan has confirmed that diplomatic negotiations between the United States and Iran remain active despite renewed military escalation across the Middle East, expressing hope that dialogue can prevent the conflict from spiraling into a wider regional crisis. Speaking at a weekly briefing in Islamabad, Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said negotiations were continuing with a particular focus on reducing tensions and addressing the growing dispute over the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz. “Negotiations between parties are ongoing, particularly on the Strait of Hormuz and to de-escalate,” Andrabi told reporters, emphasizing that Pakistan remains committed to promoting a peaceful resolution to the conflict. The spokesperson said Islamabad is working closely with all relevant parties to revive the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), an agreement aimed at creating a framework for technical discussions and confidence-building measures between Washington and Tehran. “We are doing our utmost to bring all parties back to the Islamabad MoU,” Andrabi said, adding that Pakistan is encouraging both sides to honor their commitments and continue technical-level talks despite recent hostilities. His remarks come as the region faces one of its most dangerous security crises in recent years. The United States has resumed large-scale military strikes on Iranian targets following missile attacks on American forces, while Iran has vowed further retaliation. The escalating conflict has raised fears over the security of the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route through which a significant share of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies passes. Pakistan has consistently advocated diplomacy over military confrontation, warning that continued violence could threaten regional stability, disrupt global energy markets and increase the risk of a broader conflict involving additional countries. Analysts say Pakistan’s role as a mediator has become increasingly significant as communication channels between Washington and Tehran remain strained. While no breakthrough has yet been announced, officials believe sustained dialogue offers the best chance of easing tensions and preventing further escalation. With fighting continuing across the region, Islamabad has reiterated its support for peaceful negotiations, urging all parties to exercise restraint and prioritize diplomacy over confrontation in order to safeguard regional peace and international energy security.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *