rahat fateh ali
| |

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan’s qawali at Nusrat’s shri…

Renowned Pakistani qawwal Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has come under criticism on social media following a Qawwali performance held at the mausoleum of legendary singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan on his death anniversary.

Three decades after Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s death, his powerful voice and musical legacy continue to resonate with fans around the world. To commemorate the occasion, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan visited the late qawwal’s mausoleum along with his son, Shah Zaman Ali Khan.

The father-son duo performed Kalam and Qawwali at the shrine in the presence of a large gathering of fans and visitors. During the performance, currency notes were also showered as offerings, a practice that became a prominent feature of videos shared online.

Footage of the gathering quickly spread across social media, triggering mixed reactions from users. While some viewed the performance as a tribute to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s enduring musical legacy, others questioned the manner in which the Qawwali was conducted at the shrine.

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and his son’s performance has since sparked a heated online debate, with social media users expressing differing views over the appropriateness of the event and the customs observed during the tribute.

Similar Posts

  • |

    White House reports $19B-$26B annual revenue loss from global tariff evasion

    A new White House report released Thursday estimates that the United States is losing between $19 billion and $26 billion annually in tax revenue due to foreign nations routing exports through third-party countries to evade American tariffs. The report emphasizes that Chinese manufacturers responded to 2018 trade duties by redirecting goods to more than 40 intermediate nations, including Mexico and Malaysia, for minimal assembly or repackaging prior to US entry. White House trade counselor Peter Navarro described the practice as “the great transshipment scam,” asserting that it masks the true volume of Chinese imports while undermining US domestic manufacturing, automotive, and electronics sectors. The findings come ahead of a scheduled September visit to Washington by Chinese Leader Xi Jinping. Navarro indicated that future trade agreements negotiated by the Trump administration will incorporate strict enforcement mechanisms and penalties to punish countries facilitating trade re-routing schemes.

  • |

    Jon Batiste cancels concerts amid wife’s cancer battle

    Jon Batiste has cancelled three upcoming concerts in the United States amid what he described as personal circumstances. The Grammy-winning singer was scheduled to perform at three venues this week. However, fans were informed on Wednesday, August 12, that the performances had been called off. Batiste was due to perform at the New Haven Westville Music Bowl in Connecticut on Thursday, August 13. He was then scheduled to take the stage at the TD Pavilion at Highmark Mann in Philadelphia on Friday, August 14. His third show was planned for Forest Hills Stadium in New York on Saturday, August 15. The singer addressed the cancellations in a statement shared by the venues. “As I navigate some personal circumstances, I unfortunately need to cancel a portion of my upcoming performance dates,” Batiste said. Despite the cancellations, Batiste assured fans that he remains committed to his music. He also highlighted his upcoming albums, Monk Meditations and Monk Movements. The musician said his team is looking for new ways to share his music with fans. He also expressed hope that he would be able to return to live performances soon. Fans affected by the cancellations will receive refunds through the original point of purchase. Batiste’s decision comes as his wife, Suleika Jaouad, continues her long battle with acute myeloid leukemia. Jaouad is a bestselling author and Emmy Award-winning journalist. She is also known for her memoir Life, Interrupted, which explores her experience with cancer. Jaouad was first diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia at the age of 22. After undergoing treatment, she eventually entered remission. However, the disease returned in 2021. Her treatment later included another bone marrow transplant. In 2024, Jaouad was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia once again. She has continued to receive treatment since then. Acute myeloid leukemia is an aggressive cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow. Treatment can involve several stages and may require long-term medical care. A May 2026 profile reported that Jaouad was expected to remain in treatment for the rest of her life. Her cancer was also described as incurable. Batiste and Jaouad have remained supportive of each other throughout her health struggles. The couple married in 2022 after years of being together. Although Batiste did not specifically mention his wife’s cancer in his concert cancellation statement, the announcement comes during a particularly challenging period for the couple. For now, Batiste appears to be stepping back from some of his live commitments while continuing to work on his music. Fans will now await further updates about his cancelled performances and his eventual return to the stage.

  • |

    Colombia requests US joint military operations against cartels under new president

    US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced that the newly inaugurated government of Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella has formally requested US collaboration in joint military operations within Colombia to combat drug trafficking organizations. Speaking in Panama City during a meeting of the Americas Counter-Cartel Coalition, Hegseth confirmed that Colombia will join the US-led “Shield of the Americas” regional counter-narcotics initiative as its 19th member nation. De la Espriella, a conservative leader sworn into office last week, has taken a hardline stance against armed groups, reversing the policy direction of his predecessor, Gustavo Petro. Hegseth also urged participating Latin American nations to reject the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court (ICC). Addressing legal scrutiny surrounding recent US military strikes against suspected regional drug networks, Hegseth maintained that US counter-cartel actions fully comply with international humanitarian law.

  • |

    Harry Potter actress Jessie Cave opens up about fat-shaming she experienced on set

      Jessie Cave, best known for portraying Lavender Brown in the Harry Potter film series, has spoken candidly about the body-shaming and hurtful treatment she says she experienced while working on the hugely successful franchise. Cave was just 20 years old when she joined the Harry Potter cast, playing Lavender Brown, the Hogwarts student who develops a romantic relationship with Ron Weasley. Although her character became memorable among fans, Cave has revealed that her experience behind the scenes was far less comfortable, particularly when it came to comments about her appearance and weight. Speaking on the podcast, the actress recalled an upsetting encounter with a costume designer who allegedly criticized her body. According to Cave, the designer grabbed the flesh around her hips and questioned her about it. The actress said the grip was so forceful that it caused her physical pain. Cave recalled responding simply, saying, “That’s my body,” as she tried to deal with the uncomfortable situation. She also described another painful moment that occurred while filming a scene in the Great Hall at Hogwarts. Cave said that someone involved in the production whispered instructions for her to make herself appear slimmer, telling her to “suck in.” The comment reportedly left her so upset that she immediately began crying. According to Cave, her emotional reaction was ultimately visible in the finished film. She explained that the camera initially showed her from behind, but as it moved toward her face, viewers could see tears in her eyes. The actress also reflected on returning to the franchise after gaining around two stone, or approximately 28 pounds. Cave said she felt that the way she was treated changed dramatically after her weight increased. She recalled initially being welcomed as an exciting romantic interest before later feeling almost invisible when she returned for the final installment. Cave believes her appearance played a major role in the difference in treatment, saying she felt that her weight was the reason she was no longer given the same attention. Those experiences have continued to influence how Cave views the entertainment industry, particularly when it comes to children working in major productions. She has expressed concerns about HBO’s upcoming Harry Potter television reboot and said she would not want her own children to endure the kind of scrutiny she experienced. The actress is now a mother of four and has spoken openly about the challenges she faced after her acting opportunities became less frequent. Following repeated rejection from acting roles, she explored other creative and online work, including launching an OnlyFans account centered on non-sexual hair-fetish content. Cave’s recent comments have renewed discussions about the pressures young actors can face in the entertainment industry, particularly regarding body image. Her experience highlights how seemingly casual remarks about appearance can leave lasting emotional scars, even years after a project has ended.

  • | | |

    One missed bill enough for Lesco to pull the plug?…

    The month of July brings heat and humidity to Lahore. It also brings frequent power cuts, mainly from weather related issues. When it rains, and the atmosphere is muggy, power breakdown occurs and people expect that power will return soon after it goes. But there is a different kind of fear. This fear grows when a house sits dark while every other house on the street still has light. This means the power meter has been disconnected. Recent reports say that field staff of the Lahore Electric Supply Company (LESCO), have been harassing consumers. These reports say that officials are disconnecting power for people who have missed just one month of bill payment. This goes against the normal rule. Under the normal rule, a meter can only be disconnected after two months of non-payment. LESCO spokesperson Rabia Qadir has denied these reports. She said the company has not received any complaint about this issue. She said that rules made by the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra), protect the rights and safety of consumers. Under these rules, a meter cannot be disconnected simply because one month of bill payment was missed. She also said that Lesco has not received any formal complaint against any sub-divisional officer, executive engineer, or lineman of any of its circle regarding such incidents. However, she said that some linemen may try to scare or pressure consumers. These linemen may threaten to disconnect a meter if the consumer does not pay the outstanding bill right away. She said this could happen in some cases and this was not the company’s policy. But she stressed that Lesco has a consumer complaint cell. All complaints are recorded there. She said that according to these records, no such complaint has come in. The situation on the ground appears more complicated. This reporter visited the consumer cell at the office of the Lesco chief officer. Several consumers were present there. Their complaints were about different issues. Some wanted correction of industrial bills. Others reported broken meters. When asked about the reports of meters being cut for a single month of default, one officer gave an important detail. They said this practice usually happens in June or July. They said the ministry gives instructions during these months to speed up bill recovery. The goal is to reduce financial losses. Staff at the office suggested that a proper response should come from Lesco Chief Executive Officer Ramzan Butt or his public relations office. However, the public relations office said that Ramzan Butt was in Islamabad for a meeting at the time. This problem is not limited to LESCO areas. Similar reports have come from areas covered by the Multan Electric Power Company. In Muzaffargarh, consumers who missed one month of payment received strict warnings from field staff. These staff members told consumers to avoid another default. If they defaulted again, they were told, their meters would be disconnected. According to the rules, a power connection cannot be cut through meter removal unless bills for both the current and the previous month remain unpaid. Yet for several months now, Lesco teams have continued cutting connections even when only one month of payment was missing. Other than power severe threats, the other main issue people face is take notice of a major problem in the new electricity bill format. The Pakistan Hosiery Manufacturers and Exporters Association in a letter to the prime minister said the revised bill has removed a lot of information that consumers used to see. He said this makes it hard for people to check their meter readings, units consumed, tariff calculations and other charges on their own. They say the changes seem to have been made without following the proper process set by the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority, known as NEPRA. No formal request for changing the bill format was filed with NEPRA and that consumers were never asked for their objections, nor were they given a chance to take part in a public hearing before the change was made. They say that bills are supposed to show the date when the connection or meter was installed, but this information is now missing. The removal of the meter reading snapshot is a serious problem, because consumers can no longer check if the reading used for their bill matches the actual reading at their home. Also, information about the meter reader, along with the date and time of the reading, has also disappeared. They say that when a meter is changed, the bill should show a snapshot of the final reading from the old meter, but distribution companies are not properly doing this. The new bills carry a QR code instead, but this cannot replace information that should be clearly printed on the bill itself. Many senior citizens, people living in rural areas, and low income households may not have smartphones or the internet access needed to scan a QR code. Economist and corporate lawyer Dr Ikramul Haq commented on this situation. He said that the conduct of power distribution companies is not simply a small technical mistake. He called it as a form of pressure against ordinary citizens. These citizens are already struggling with rising prices, high electricity rates, and falling purchasing power. He said that reports of field teams arriving at homes, treating consumers badly, and threatening immediate disconnection show the real human cost of this careless approach. He added that in some cases, meters were removed without any prior notice being given. Dr said explained that the legal position on this matter is very clear. Under the revised Consumer Service Manual issued by Nepra, electricity cannot be disconnected only because the bill for the current or previous month remains unpaid. A notice of seven days must be given along with the bill for the second month of default. Only after this notice period passes, and the default continues, can disconnection take place. He said that removing a meter involves even more safeguards under the rules. He

  • |

    Zainab Raja makes serious allegations about Tamasha

    Tamasha has become one of Pakistan’s most popular reality television shows since its launch on ARY Digital in 2022. Based on the format of Big Brother, the show brings celebrities and public figures together under one roof, where they compete in a variety of tasks while dealing with interpersonal conflicts, alliances and eliminations. After four successful seasons between 2022 and 2025, the fifth season is currently attracting considerable attention from viewers. The ongoing season has introduced several contestants who have quickly gained popularity among fans. Babrik Shah, Zee Khan, Laila, Samia Hijab and Esra are among the contestants who have emerged as prominent players this year. Tamasha Season 4, which aired last year, also received widespread attention. The season featured contestants including Saif Ali Khan, Muslim, Ommy, Zainab Raja, Kanwal Farooq and Yaseen. Zainab Raja, in particular, became known for her strong presence and performance during the competition. Following her appearance on the show, Zainab has remained active on social media, regularly sharing videos, opinions and updates with her followers. In a series of recent Instagram stories, she made several serious allegations concerning the reality show and claimed that certain aspects of the competition were not as they appeared on television. Zainab alleged that Tamasha was scripted and claimed that winners could be decided before the conclusion of a season. She also accused the show of providing preferential treatment to certain contestants. Among her most notable claims, Zainab alleged that one of the popular male contestants had been married and had two children while presenting himself as unmarried during his participation in the show. She claimed that contestants inside the house were aware of his marital status and that he eventually became one of the Top 5 contestants. However, she did not publicly name the contestant in her statements. Zainab also claimed that her comments about the show being scripted were edited from the broadcast. According to her, she directly told host Adnan Siddiqui, “Scripted hai aapka show,” but alleged that viewers were shown only her facial expressions while her actual response was removed from the final episode. She further claimed that contestants were not permitted to reveal certain details about what happened behind the scenes. The former contestant also raised questions about promotional activities surrounding the show. She claimed that public relations campaigns were carried out for contestants who eventually won or performed strongly in different seasons. Zainab suggested that software operators could be consulted to determine which contestants received promotional support and argued that several participants had benefited from such campaigns. Another issue she highlighted concerned the treatment of male contestants inside the house. Zainab alleged that male participants were permitted to leave the house to offer Friday prayers and were also given opportunities to communicate with their families through phone calls. She described what she considered differences in privileges as unfair treatment. Zainab’s allegations have generated discussion among fans of the reality show. However, the claims remain allegations made by the former contestant, and there has been no independent confirmation of the specific accusations mentioned in her social media posts. Tamasha continues to attract strong public interest, with viewers closely following the contestants, their relationships and the developments taking place inside the house.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *