punjab steps urban
| | |

Punjab steps up Urban flood management

FAISALABAD: The Punjab Water and Sanitation Authority (PWASA) has stepped up its monsoon preparedness by deploying advanced machinery, completing large-scale desilting operations, and launching a modern command and control system aimed at improving flood management and emergency response across the province.

Speaking to reporters, PWASA Director General Tayyab Fareed said the authority has cleared nearly 650,000 tonnes of solid waste while completing the cleaning of drains, sewer lines, and manholes before the peak monsoon season. He added that a state-of-the-art Central Command and Control Room equipped with 13 digital dashboards is now providing real-time monitoring of rainfall and drainage conditions across Punjab.

Fareed said PWASA was established under the Punjab Water and Sanitation Act in June 2024, initially taking over the province’s five existing Water and Sanitation Agencies (WASAs). Since then, the Punjab government has expanded the network in phases, bringing the total number of district-level WASAs to 41.

He noted that this year’s monsoon arrived nearly two weeks later than usual, with heavy rainfall recorded during the second half of July across central and northern Punjab, including Lahore, Gujranwala, Gujrat, Sialkot, Sheikhupura, Okara, and Nankana Sahib.

According to the PWASA chief, a province-wide 45-day desilting campaign was completed ahead of the rainy season, with all activities digitally tracked to improve transparency and operational efficiency.

To strengthen sanitation services, the Punjab government has invested heavily in new equipment. Machinery worth Rs6.5 billion has been procured for 15 major cities, while an additional Rs7.5 billion has been allocated to equip smaller WASAs established during the latest expansion phase.

In total, around 950 machinery units, including dewatering pumps, cranes, tractor-trolleys, backhoe loaders, and other specialized equipment, are planned for deployment across Punjab. More than 300 units have already been delivered to field teams.

Fareed said the central control room coordinates directly with field staff while working closely with the Punjab Safe Cities Authority, Rescue 1122, and the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) to ensure a faster and more effective response during heavy rainfall.

He also highlighted several long-term infrastructure projects designed to improve water management. These include a proposed Rs55 billion wastewater treatment project in Lahore and another project of similar value that will treat water from the BRB Canal to provide a sustainable surface water supply, reducing dependence on groundwater.

In addition, PWASA has constructed 18 underground rainwater storage tanks in Lahore and 10 more in Faisalabad, Gujranwala, Sheikhupura, Nankana Sahib, Okara, and Sahiwal. The tanks are currently being used to collect rainwater during the monsoon and are emptied after rainfall to prepare for future weather events, helping improve urban flood management across the province.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Kelly Clarkson gets candid about her single life

    Kelly Clarkson is thriving on her own, and she made sure her Las Vegas audience knew it. During her residency at Caesars Palace on Friday, the Grammy-winning singer turned a moment of audience banter into one of the most relatable and widely shared comments of her recent public appearances, delivering a set of honest and very funny observations about single life that quickly resonated online. Addressing the question that people apparently keep asking her, Clarkson went straight to the point. “People are like, ‘Oh, why are you single?’ And I’m like, ‘First of all, there are a lot of people out here making single look real good,’” she joked to the crowd. She did not stop there. “And if you didn’t really understand what I meant by that, it’s like you see relationships and you’re like, ‘I am so glad I’m going home alone.’” The audience reportedly laughed along with a recognition that needed no further explanation. She followed that with one more line that landed particularly well. “You know what’s not happening in my house?” she said before adding: “That s–t.” But Clarkson also shifted tone to deliver something more sincere beneath the comedy. She acknowledged that long-term relationships, when they do work, require sustained and conscious effort from both people involved. “If you are in a relationship, the hardest part is just keeping that fire alive and still dating,” she said. “And like still making it feel magical and not monotonous.” It was a moment that balanced her comedic instincts with a genuine insight about why relationships are hard, and why being honest about that matters more than performing contentment. Clarkson has kept her personal life largely private since her divorce from Brandon Blackstock, with whom she shares two children. Since finalising the separation, she has channelled her energy into her music, her long-running talk show and her parenting, rarely speaking at length about romance or the prospect of a new relationship. Her Las Vegas residency has given her a different kind of platform, one that is intimate, live and visibly free of the usual formalities that shape media appearances. In that setting, she has clearly felt comfortable speaking with the kind of unfiltered candour that her fanbase has always responded to. The comments from Friday’s show spread quickly online, with many fans describing the moment as the most relatable thing they had heard in months. For Clarkson, it appears that choosing herself is not a consolation. It is the plan.

  • | |

    UK rapper Yung Filly acquitted of rape but convicted of assault in Western Australia

    British social media personality and rapper Yung Filly, whose real name is Andrés Felipe Valencia Barrientos, has been found not guilty of raping a fan in his hotel room following a performance in Hillarys, Western Australia. A jury at the District Court of Western Australia in Perth delivered the verdict on Friday after an eight-day trial, acquitting the 30-year-old on three counts of sexual penetration without consent, an assault charge involving an alleged slap, and a choking charge. However, the jury convicted Barrientos on two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm related to bite marks inflicted on the woman’s neck and breast during the encounter. The jury remained hung on three additional counts of sexual penetration without consent. Barrientos, who denied all charges and maintained that the acts were consensual, wept as the decision was announced. He remains free on bail until 21 August, when a court date will be set to determine his sentencing for the assault convictions and decide whether prosecutors will seek a retrial on the unresolved rape charges.

  • ML-1 project review to be completed by October 30

    An important meeting regarding the ML-1 project was held under the chairmanship of Chairman Pakistan Railways Syed Mazhar Ali Shah. International design consultants, review consultants, and senior officers of Pakistan Railways attended the meeting. The meeting reviewed in detail various matters related to the upgradation of the Karachi-Rohri section. Discussions were also held on the project’s preparation, progress, and future course of action. Chairman Pakistan Railways directed that the review phase of the ML-1 project be completed by October 30, 2026. He also directed that the progress of the project be continuously monitored and reviewed on a weekly basis. It was decided that the second phase of market consultation for the ML-1 project will commence on September 8, 2026. The second phase will include detailed consultations with market experts and relevant stakeholders on project preparation, technical matters, and the way forward. Pakistan Railways will benefit from market proposals, international experience, and expert opinions to make the ML-1 project more effective, modern, and viable. The principles of merit, transparency, and competitiveness will be ensured at every stage of the project’s preparation and implementation. Federal Minister for Railways Muhammad Hanif Abbasi expressed satisfaction over the progress on the ML-1 project and said that ML-1 is the foundation for the development and modernization of Pakistan Railways and for meeting future requirements. The upgradation of the project will significantly improve train speeds, passenger facilities, and the overall performance of Pakistan Railways. The Federal Minister said that the ML-1 project would be further strengthened and made more effective in light of the best proposals and expert opinions. He emphasized that merit, transparency, and competitiveness are of fundamental importance to the project and that there would be no compromise on these principles. Muhammad Hanif Abbasi said that Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif is taking a keen interest in the ML-1 project and has directed that it be completed within the stipulated timeframe. The Prime Minister is also continuously monitoring progress on the project. The Federal Minister for Railways said that, in view of the progress made so far, the prospects for the commencement of Pakistan Railways’ flagship ML-1 project this year are bright. The government is taking all necessary measures to make ML-1 the foundation of a modern, safe, high-speed, and efficient railway system in the country.

  • | |

    Taylor Swift reveals the biggest stress of cheerin…

    Taylor Swift has become a familiar face at NFL stadiums while supporting Travis Kelce, but according to new reports, game days are far from relaxing for the global music superstar. Swift has attended numerous Kansas City Chiefs games since her relationship with Kelce became public, often drawing as much attention as the action on the field. While fans love spotting her in the stands, those close to the singer say watching her husband play is one of the most nerve-racking experiences she faces. According to reports, the hardest part for Swift is seeing Kelce put his body on the line every week. Football is one of the most physically demanding sports, and every tackle, collision and fall leaves her worried about his safety. Despite enjoying the excitement of the games, she reportedly spends much of the time hoping he walks off the field healthy.  The concern is understandable. Kelce has built a career as one of the NFL’s elite tight ends, a position that involves constant physical contact. While he has proven remarkably durable throughout his career, injuries are always a possibility in professional football. Swift’s presence at Chiefs games has also become a headline of its own. Television cameras frequently cut to her reactions, and every expression is analyzed by fans across social media. That level of public scrutiny adds another layer of pressure to an already emotional experience. Reports have suggested that she has intentionally kept a lower profile at some games to avoid becoming the center of attention and to keep the focus on Kelce and the team.  Despite the stress, Swift continues to show up whenever her schedule allows. Friends say supporting Kelce remains important to her, even if every game comes with anxious moments. The singer understands the demands of elite performance herself, while Kelce has previously spoken about admiring the dedication and physical endurance required during her record-breaking tours.  For Swift, the cheers, celebrations and victories are worth the nerves. But behind every smile from the VIP suite is the hope that the final whistle brings the same outcome she wants most—not just a Chiefs win, but seeing Kelce leave the field safe and healthy.

  • | |

    Murad rejects new province claims, rules out viole…

    Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah has dismissed claims that Pakistan’s governance system has collapsed, while firmly opposing the creation of new provinces in Sindh and warning that no violence or bloodshed will be allowed over the issue. Speaking to reporters after attending the Mining Technical Conference 2026 in Karachi, the chief minister said the Constitution provides a clear legal mechanism for altering provincial boundaries. He stressed that any such move can only take place if the concerned provincial assembly approves it with a two-thirds majority. Murad Ali Shah said the Sindh Assembly has repeatedly passed unanimous resolutions opposing the creation of any new province in the province. He maintained that there has been no change in the assembly’s position and that the issue should be addressed only through constitutional and democratic procedures. The chief minister said public debate on administrative reforms is acceptable, but warned against creating unnecessary tensions or presenting the issue in a way that could provoke conflict. He said no one would be allowed to exploit the matter to create unrest in Sindh. His remarks came after Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi recently suggested that Pakistan’s existing governance system was no longer capable of addressing national challenges and called for administrative reforms, including the creation of new administrative units. Responding to questions about public demonstrations, Murad Ali Shah said peaceful protest is a constitutional right but should be held in accordance with the law. He urged organisers to obtain permission from the relevant authorities before staging protests. The chief minister also highlighted the provincial government’s agricultural policy, saying arrangements have been made to procure one million tonnes of wheat to protect local farmers and stabilise the market. Speaking about economic development, he said Sindh continues to expand its mining and energy sectors. He announced that electricity generation from Thar coal is expected to increase from 2,640 megawatts to 3,000 megawatts in the near future. Murad Ali Shah said Thar’s coal fields are producing more than 15 million tonnes of coal annually, helping Pakistan reduce its dependence on imported fuel and saving more than $1.5 billion in foreign exchange each year.

  • |

    Chinese warehouse robots reshape UK retail as automation gathers pace

    Chinese made robots are playing an increasingly important role in Britain’s retail industry as major companies turn to automation to improve efficiency, speed up online orders, and tackle ongoing labour shortages. From supermarkets to clothing retailers, robotic systems are becoming a common sight inside warehouses that process thousands of customer purchases every day. Many online orders in the UK now begin with small autonomous robots moving beneath storage shelves, lifting them, and transporting them to warehouse workers. These machines are produced by Chinese robotics company Geek+, which manufactures and tests its equipment at a factory in Hefei before exporting it to customers around the world. Several leading British retailers, including Tesco, Asda, and Next, have adopted the company’s technology. According to Geek+, the robots help businesses process orders faster, improve storage capacity, and reduce mistakes by automating repetitive tasks that would otherwise require significant manual labour. Unlike traditional warehouse automation systems that depend on fixed conveyor belts and expensive infrastructure, these mobile robots move independently using floor markers and safety barriers. This allows companies to introduce automation more quickly and with less disruption to existing warehouse operations. Geek+ has grown into the world’s largest supplier of autonomous mobile robots and expanded its international presence after listing on the Hong Kong stock exchange last year. Britain has become the company’s biggest European market, with its UK partner MotionTech deploying more than 2,000 robots across 10 warehouse sites. MotionTech says demand for automated warehouse technology continues to rise as businesses seek faster order processing while dealing with persistent labour shortages. Company representatives say customers want solutions that increase storage capacity, improve picking speeds, and reduce reliance on large workforces without sacrificing efficiency. The growing use of robotics comes as the United Kingdom continues to struggle with weak productivity growth. Economists have argued that wider adoption of automation will be necessary if businesses are to remain competitive in the years ahead. A recent report by the Organisation for Economic Co operation and Development found that Britain has been slower than many other advanced economies in adopting robotics, despite its long industrial history. While British companies have embraced many digital technologies, the report said automation and robotics remain underused across much of the economy. Labour organisations have urged businesses to introduce new technology responsibly. The Trades Union Congress has argued that automation should improve working conditions and productivity rather than simply reduce employment. It has called for workers to be involved in decisions about automation and for companies to provide retraining opportunities as technology changes the workplace. China’s rapid progress in robotics reflects a broader national strategy aimed at strengthening advanced manufacturing. President Xi Jinping has identified robotics as one of the country’s key future industries, with automation expected to offset the effects of a shrinking working age population and support long term economic growth. Analysts say China’s leadership in robotics has benefited from its success in electric vehicle manufacturing. Many of the same technologies used in electric cars, including batteries, motors, cameras, sensors, and semiconductors, are now being applied to robotic systems, creating a strong industrial network that accelerates development. Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer XPeng is among the companies expanding into robotics. The company has introduced a humanoid robot called Iron as part of its strategy to transform from a traditional carmaker into a broader technology company. Industry experts believe China’s robotics industry could follow a similar path to its electric vehicle sector by combining large scale manufacturing with rapid innovation. At the same time, competition in robotics has become increasingly tied to global politics. This week the United States announced restrictions on imports of new advanced foreign made robots, citing national security concerns. China criticised the decision, accusing Washington of using trade measures for political purposes. Looking ahead, Geek+ says it wants to move beyond transporting goods and eventually create fully automated warehouses where robots handle picking, moving, and packing products with minimal human involvement. While companies across China are investing heavily in humanoid robots capable of performing more complex tasks, experts believe these machines are still several years away from widespread commercial use. For now, wheeled warehouse robots remain the most practical solution for retailers. As British businesses continue searching for ways to improve productivity and overcome staffing shortages, warehouses across the country are becoming an important testing ground for China’s rapidly expanding robotics industry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *