fazlur rehman urges
| |

Fazlur Rehman urges dialogue to end AJK crisis

 

Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman has urged the federal government to address the ongoing unrest in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) through dialogue, stressing that reconciliation is the only path to a lasting solution.

In a video message shared on the party’s X account on Saturday, Fazlur Rehman called on the government and state institutions to recognise the seriousness of the situation instead of responding with force. He said authorities should work to restore peace and stability rather than allowing further bloodshed.

“The government and state institutions must understand the gravity of the crisis. Instead of turning our homeland into a place of violence, they should focus on healing divisions through meaningful dialogue,” he said.

His remarks came after violent clashes were reported in Rawalakot between law enforcement personnel and protesters affiliated with the banned Jammu and Kashmir Awami Action Committee (JAAC). Reports circulating on social media claimed multiple casualties and injuries, with both security officials and the JAAC alleging loss of lives.

Fazlur Rehman said the JAAC’s sit-in had continued for more than two months. He recalled that after tensions intensified on June 5, the committee had formally requested him to mediate between the protesters and the government. According to him, he accepted the role and remained in contact with both sides through JUI-F AJK chief Maulana Saeed Yousaf Khan and Sardar Kamran Azam Khan.

The JUI-F chief expressed concern over the situation faced by residents of AJK, saying people expect their government to protect them rather than leave them living in fear. He alleged that women, children and families had endured months of insecurity while the authorities failed to address their concerns.

He further claimed that force had been used against unarmed protesters and alleged that, according to the information available to him, the death toll had reached around 80 people. However, no official confirmation has been issued regarding that figure.

Despite the violence, Fazlur Rehman appealed to the JAAC leadership and protesters to remain peaceful and avoid any action that could worsen the situation. He urged them to allow more time for mediation efforts, expressing hope that a fair and lasting political settlement could still be achieved.

He also criticised the government’s approach, claiming that although the protesters had shown confidence in his mediation efforts, the authorities had not taken the initiative seriously and had instead relied on force rather than negotiations.

Warning of wider implications, Fazlur Rehman said the movement had gained support across Kashmir as well as among Pakistanis and the Kashmiri diaspora, particularly in Europe.

The recent violence has drawn condemnation from political parties and human rights organisations. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) expressed deep concern over reports of deaths and injuries, stressing that maintaining law and order should never come at the expense of the right to life or the freedoms of peaceful assembly and expression. The commission called for a prompt, impartial and independent investigation into the incidents.

Opposition parties, including PTI, also demanded an independent judicial inquiry into the clashes, while other political groups criticised what they described as the excessive use of force against protesters.

The current dispute is linked to long-standing demands by the JAAC, which has been seeking constitutional and governance reforms in AJK. Among its key demands are the abolition of 12 reserved seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly allocated to Kashmiri refugees and the removal of the existing quota system. Although the government and the JAAC reached an agreement after protests last year to establish a high-level committee to review the issue of refugee seats, negotiations have since stalled. The JAAC continues to insist on abolishing the reserved seats, while the government remains opposed to the proposal.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Mother, daughter killed in Lahore road crash

    A tragic road accident claimed the lives of a woman and her young daughter in Lahore’s suburban area of Manga Mandi after a passenger bus collided with their motorcycle. Another person riding the motorcycle sustained injuries in the crash. According to Rescue officials, emergency teams responded quickly to the scene and shifted the bodies of the deceased mother and daughter to the morgue for legal formalities. Rescuers also transported the injured victim to a nearby hospital, where doctors are providing medical treatment. Police said the bus driver fled the scene immediately after the accident, leaving the vehicle behind. Authorities have launched a search operation and are conducting raids to arrest the suspect. The incident has once again raised concerns about reckless driving and road safety in the city, as traffic accidents continue to claim lives on busy roads across Lahore. Police have started an investigation to determine the exact circumstances that led to the fatal collision.

  • | |

    Jamaat-e-Islami plans motorway blockade as part of…

    Kallar Syedan: The monthly gathering of members and workers of Jamaat-e-Islami Kallar Syedan Zone was held under the chairmanship of Zonal Ameer Muhammad Tauqeer Awan . A large number of zonal and UC office bearers, members and workers participated in the gathering. In the gathering, with reference to 7th August, and on the call of Hafiz Naeem ur Rehman , it was decided to launch a protest movement across Pakistan against the exorbitant increase in petroleum prices and unjust taxes in electricity bills. As a result, roads across the country will be blocked. Under this, a convoy from Kallar Syedan will depart for 26 Number Chungi, where the Motorway will be blocked. In this regard, it was also decided to distribute pamphlets in all the markets of Kallar Syedan Tehsil and to hold meetings with the market traders’ associations and transporters to invite them to fully participate in this strike. It was also decided to run a vigorous campaign to stop the government from further oppression of the people. In further addition, for the elections to be held on 2nd August in Kashmir LA-39 Jammu 6, responsibilities for the election campaign and polling agents for Jamaat-e-Islami candidate Mirza Tajammal Jarral were assigned.

  • |

    LHC warns of serious environmental consequences

    The Lahore High Court has issued a 265-page detailed judgment in cases related to smog and environmental degradation, warning that continued damage to nature could leave future generations without essential natural resources. The court said human activities have pushed the environment and climate to a critical stage. Pollution, excessive use of natural resources and environmental degradation are intensifying rapidly, making immediate and effective action necessary. The judgment stressed that environmental protection is not solely the responsibility of government departments. Citizens, institutions, businesses, educational organisations and local authorities must also play their part. The court expressed serious concern over the rapid decline in groundwater levels, describing the situation as extremely dangerous. It stressed that water remains essential for human survival and warned that its unnecessary consumption and wastage could create severe problems for future generations. The court directed relevant authorities to introduce practical measures to conserve water and reduce unnecessary consumption. As part of its water conservation measures, the court directed authorities to ensure that water used for ablution at mosques is collected instead of being wasted. The court ordered that the collected water should be reused for watering plants and greenery. It observed that even small conservation measures could have a significant impact when implemented on a large scale. The judgment highlighted the strong connection between environmental protection and fundamental human rights. The court noted that the right to a clean, healthy and sustainable environment has gained constitutional significance in Pakistan following the insertion of Article 9A into the Constitution. It called for long-term policies to protect air, water, soil, trees and other natural resources instead of relying only on temporary measures during severe smog episodes. The court warned that continued neglect of the environment could cause irreversible damage. It stressed that authorities must treat environmental protection as a permanent priority rather than responding only when smog or other environmental emergencies become severe. The Lahore High Court has issued several directions during the long-running smog case covering air pollution, tree plantation, groundwater conservation and urban environmental management. Through its continuing supervisory role, the court has also monitored the implementation of these measures by government departments and environmental bodies. The judgment called for collective action and changes in human behaviour to tackle Punjab’s growing environmental challenges and protect natural resources for future generations.

  • |

    Salman Khan urges students to stay calm amid NEET protest

    Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has shared an important message amid the ongoing student protests over the alleged NEET examination paper leak, urging students to remain calm and reassuring them that the matter is receiving attention at the highest level. In a statement posted on his Instagram account, the actor addressed students participating in demonstrations related to the controversy surrounding the national medical entrance examination. He emphasized that the education and safety of young people should remain the country’s top priority. Salman Khan encouraged students not to let the situation create additional stress for themselves or their families. According to the actor, students should avoid unnecessary anxiety and trust that the authorities will investigate the matter thoroughly. He also referred to the Prime Minister’s public remarks on the issue, saying that he believes strict action will be taken against anyone found responsible for the alleged examination paper leak. Salman expressed confidence that those involved would be held accountable through the legal process. The actor appealed to students to return home and focus on their well-being while allowing the authorities to complete their investigation. He said that students should prioritize their health and avoid placing further emotional strain on their parents during this difficult period. In the same message, Salman Khan also addressed education reform activist Sonam Wangchuk, who has reportedly been observing a hunger strike for nearly 25 days. Speaking directly to Wangchuk, Salman requested that he end his fast, saying that enough time had passed and that continuing the hunger strike could put his health at serious risk. While acknowledging Wangchuk’s commitment to raising awareness through peaceful protest, the actor suggested that preserving his health was equally important. Salman added that if public demonstrations become necessary again in the future, Wangchuk could always continue his activism. However, he said he did not believe there was a need to prolong the hunger strike at the present moment In a light-hearted remark, the Bollywood star even offered to send food from his own home if Wangchuk agreed to end his fast, a gesture that quickly drew attention across social media. This was Salman Khan’s second public appeal on the issue within 24 hours. Earlier, he had also expressed concern over the alleged irregularities in the NEET examination process and stressed the importance of protecting students’ interests while ensuring that the investigation proceeds fairly and transparently. The NEET controversy has triggered widespread demonstrations in different parts of India, with students demanding a transparent inquiry into the alleged paper leak. Protesters have called for accountability, stricter measures against those responsible, and reforms aimed at safeguarding the credibility of the country’s examination system. The alleged paper leak has sparked a broader debate about the integrity of competitive examinations, with students and education advocates urging authorities to strengthen security measures and restore confidence in the examination process. As the investigation continues, the issue remains one of the most closely watched education-related developments in India, with thousands of students hoping for a fair resolution and stronger safeguards for future examinations.

  • | |

    Bilawal demands transparent AJK election process

    Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has called for a fair and transparent electoral process in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), saying the Election Commission’s duty is to protect the people’s vote rather than support any political party. In a statement regarding the first phase of the AJK elections, Bilawal said the credibility of the entire electoral process would depend on ensuring justice and transparency at the initial stage. He urged the Election Commission to address all complaints related to alleged rigging and irregularities before August 2 through open hearings. He also demanded that polling station results and election records be made available to the public to remove doubts and increase confidence in the process. The PPP chairman said his party was not seeking anyone’s favour or special treatment. He said the demand was only for the right to participate in clean, transparent and impartial elections. Bilawal emphasized that the Election Commission should remain neutral and perform its constitutional responsibilities without any pressure. He said the institution’s main responsibility was to safeguard the mandate given by voters. He added that protecting the people’s vote was essential for strengthening democracy and ensuring that the voices of Kashmir’s residents were properly represented. The PPP leader’s statement came amid political discussions over the first phase of the AJK elections, with parties raising concerns and demanding a transparent mechanism to address electoral complaints.

  • | |

    Qalb conference urges youth to explore, connect an…

      MANSEHRA: Young people were encouraged to expand their perspectives, develop stronger social networks and turn their ideas into practical actions at the ninth annual Qalb Conference, held on August 8 and 9 at Sirin Resort in Naran. The two-day event was organised by the District Youth Office Mansehra in partnership with the Qalb Welfare Foundation under the Directorate of Youth Affairs, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The conference brought together young people, volunteers, social workers and tourism enthusiasts from different parts of Pakistan to discuss youth leadership, community participation, volunteerism and the role of young people in the country’s social development. The conference was held under the theme “Explore, Connect, Change,” which encouraged participants to discover new opportunities, establish meaningful connections and contribute towards positive change in their communities. Adviser to the Chief Minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for Sports and Youth Affairs, Taj Muhammad Khan Tarand, attended the event as the chief guest. Chairman of the District Development Advisory Committee (D-DAC) Mansehra Ikramullah Ghazi, along with other officials and guests, also participated in the gathering. Speaking at the conference, Mr Tarand highlighted the importance of young people in the social and economic development of the province. He said youth represented a valuable part of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s social capital and needed greater opportunities to improve their skills, exchange ideas and participate in productive activities. He also stressed that young people should be actively involved in community-based initiatives. According to him, meaningful participation could help youth transform their abilities, creativity and ideas into practical contributions that benefit society. Director Youth Affairs Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Abbas Khan Afridi said the Directorate was working to provide young people with platforms where they could strengthen leadership abilities, meet people from different backgrounds and discuss challenges faced by their communities. He emphasised that youth development should not be limited to occasional conferences or events. Instead, young people should have continuous opportunities for learning, collaboration, skill development and practical involvement in social activities. The conference took place in the scenic surroundings of Naran, providing participants with an environment that combined learning and interaction with personal development. Various activities focused on teamwork, leadership, communication and learning. Participants also shared their experiences in areas including social welfare, voluntary blood donation and tourism promotion. The presence of participants from different regions of Pakistan added diversity to the discussions and allowed attendees to exchange experiences and perspectives. Speakers and participants highlighted the potential of Pakistani youth to contribute to community welfare, promote volunteerism and create a more positive image of the country. The organisers said the main purpose of the conference was not only to encourage discussion but also to motivate young people to take practical steps towards bringing positive change to their communities. The two-day conference concluded on August 9 with participants reaffirming the message of “Explore, Connect, Change.” The event emphasised the importance of discovering new possibilities, building meaningful networks and empowering young people to play an active role in shaping a better future for Pakistan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *