human rights groups
|

US human rights groups sue Trump over anti-ICC push

WASHINGTON, DC, USA – Four leading US human rights groups on Tuesday, August 11, sued the Trump administration over its campaign aimed at dismantling the International Criminal Court, calling the effort unconstitutional.

President Donald Trump in 2025 issued an executive order authorizing sanctions on prosecutors, judges and others working with the court for pursuing cases against officials from the US and its ally Israel, neither of which is a member of the ICC.


US human rights groups sue Trump over anti-ICC push

Human Rights Watch, the Open Society Institute, the American Friends Service Committee and the Center for Constitutional Rights said in their lawsuit filed in New York that those sanctions prevent them from working with the court to seek justice for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity around the world.

“The plaintiffs are seeking an end to this sanctions regime, which transgresses the president’s authority and violates international and US law, including the rights to freedom of expression and religion,” lead counsel Andrew Loewenstein of Foley Hoag LLP, which is representing the human rights groups, said in a statement.

The lawsuit comes after a similar lawsuit filed last month by advocacy groups who work on human rights for Palestinians. In response to that lawsuit, the State Department said the groups were seeking to “enable ICC overreach” and said the court posed a threat to US sovereignty.

Three ICC judges have separately sued the Trump administration over the sanctions.

Trump’s opposition toward the ICC goes back to his first term. A similar executive order Trump issued in 2020 was blocked by a judge, who said it likely violated the First Amendment, before being rescinded by President Joe Biden’s administration in 2021.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio last month said the administration would step up efforts to undermine the court in The Hague, including with a diplomatic campaign aimed at persuading other countries to quit it. Rubio argued that the court posed a threat to US personnel carrying out Trump’s hardline immigration policies or strikes on boats accused of carrying drugs, as well as other US service members.

Trump, during a July 31 cabinet meeting, said in response to an update from Rubio that the campaign was aimed at defending Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and others, rather than Trump himself. – Rappler.com

Similar Posts

  • |

    Strong earthquake shakes Naples area causing outages and transport disruption

    A magnitude 4.7 earthquake struck the Campi Flegrei area near the southern Italian city of Naples on Friday evening, causing power outages, disrupting public transport and damaging several buildings. Authorities said there were no immediate reports of serious injuries, but the tremor prompted widespread concern among residents. According to Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology, the earthquake occurred at 7.46 pm local time. The epicentre was located in the Campi Flegrei volcanic area west of Naples at a depth of around three kilometres, making the shaking strongly felt across nearby communities. The Italian fire service reported minor structural damage to buildings in and around Naples. Emergency crews carried out inspections following the earthquake but said they had not received urgent requests to rescue trapped residents or respond to major incidents. As a safety measure, local authorities temporarily suspended rail and metro services while infrastructure was inspected for possible damage. Power outages were also reported in several areas as utility crews worked to restore electricity. Italian media described the earthquake as one of the strongest recorded in the Campi Flegrei region in recent years. Many residents rushed outdoors after feeling the powerful tremors, with videos shared on social media showing people gathering in open spaces while officials assessed the situation. Campi Flegrei is a large volcanic caldera that covers much of western Naples and is home to hundreds of thousands of people. The area has experienced increasing seismic activity over the past few years, leading the Italian government to strengthen monitoring and emergency preparedness. Although smaller earthquakes occur regularly in the region, stronger tremors have raised fears of a repeat of the seismic crisis that affected Campi Flegrei in the early 1980s. During that period, continuous earthquakes forced thousands of residents to leave their homes and caused widespread disruption across the area. Italy is one of Europe’s most earthquake prone countries because of its location along major geological fault lines. The country has experienced several devastating earthquakes over the past decades, many of which caused heavy loss of life and widespread destruction. One of the most destructive disasters in recent history occurred in central Italy in 2016, when a series of powerful earthquakes struck parts of Lazio, Umbria and the Marche regions. Around 300 people were killed and many towns suffered severe damage. The deadliest earthquake in modern Italian history occurred in November 1980, when a magnitude 6.9 quake struck the Irpinia region in southern Italy. The disaster claimed about 2,700 lives and destroyed or severely damaged hundreds of towns and villages. Officials continue to monitor seismic activity around Campi Flegrei following Friday’s earthquake, while inspections of buildings and transport infrastructure remain underway to ensure public safety.

  • | |

    Iran envoy questions UK leadership shift, links it…

    ISLAMABAD: Iran’s Ambassador to Pakistan, Reza Amiri Moqadam, has raised questions over the political developments in the United Kingdom, suggesting that the leadership transition in London coincided with a major shift in British policy towards Iran. Speaking on recent geopolitical developments, the ambassador claimed that former British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer came under intense political pressure after allegedly refusing to support the United States and Israel during the Iran conflict. According to Amiri Moqadam, Starmer was subsequently accused of incompetence and forced to step down. The Iranian envoy further alleged that Britain’s new prime minister moved swiftly after assuming office by granting military base access to the United States and recalling British diplomats from Iran, describing the rapid policy changes as noteworthy. Amiri Moqadam questioned whether the timing of Starmer’s departure and the immediate foreign policy decisions taken by the incoming government were merely coincidental, implying that the sequence of events deserved closer scrutiny. The remarks come amid heightened regional tensions and ongoing diplomatic friction involving Iran and Western powers, as Tehran continues to criticise what it describes as coordinated political and military pressure from the United States and its allies.

  • | | | |

    US accused of hitting LPG tanker as Bahrain, Kuwai…

    New, unverified claims from Iranian media and an American newspaper have added another layer of uncertainty to the escalating tensions in the Gulf, with allegations that the United States mistakenly struck an LPG tanker in the Gulf of Oman while Bahrain and Kuwait secretly carried out airstrikes inside Iran. According to Iran’s state-affiliated media, a US missile attack targeted an LPG tanker in the Gulf of Oman after it was allegedly mistaken for a vessel transporting Iranian gas. The reports claimed that two crew members were killed in the strike and that the ship’s engine room was destroyed, leaving the tanker disabled at sea. No official statement has been issued by Washington regarding the reported incident, and the claims have not been independently verified. In a separate development, The Wall Street Journal reported that Bahrain and Kuwait conducted covert air operations against military targets inside Iran earlier this month. The report alleged that the strikes targeted drone facilities and missile stockpiles as part of a broader regional effort to weaken Iran’s military capabilities. The newspaper further claimed that the United Arab Emirates assisted the operations by providing intelligence on Iranian targets and offering air defence support during the missions. Despite the significance of the allegations, neither Bahrain, Kuwait, the UAE nor the United States has publicly confirmed or denied the reported operations. Independent verification of the claims also remains unavailable. The reports emerge at a time of heightened regional instability, with the Gulf witnessing increased military activity and growing concerns over the security of international shipping routes. Analysts say any confirmed expansion of military involvement by Gulf states could further complicate the already volatile security situation in the Middle East. Until official confirmations are issued, the reported US strike on the tanker and the alleged covert air raids inside Iran should be treated as unverified claims originating from media reports rather than established facts.

  • |

    Algeria bus plunge kills 25, dozens injured

    At least 25 people were killed and 44 others injured after a passenger bus veered off the road and plunged into a ravine near the coastal city of Boumerdes in northern Algeria on Friday. According to Algeria’s civil defence agency, the crash occurred at around 9:40am local time, prompting an immediate emergency response. Rescue teams rushed to the scene to recover victims, provide medical assistance and transport the injured to nearby hospitals. Officials said the bus left the roadway for reasons that are still under investigation. Authorities warned that the death toll could increase as several of the injured remain in critical condition. The accident is one of Algeria’s deadliest road tragedies in recent years. Investigators are working to determine the exact cause of the crash. Road accidents continue to claim thousands of lives across Algeria each year. Safety officials have repeatedly identified speeding, reckless driving and human error as the leading causes of fatal crashes. The latest tragedy follows several major bus accidents in recent years. In August 2025, 18 people were killed when a bus plunged into a ravine near Algiers. A few months later, in December, another bus overturned in the Bechar region, leaving 14 people dead. Official road safety data shows that traffic accidents claimed 3,838 lives and injured more than 37,000 people across Algeria in 2025, highlighting the country’s ongoing road safety challenges.

  • |

    Macron calls crisis meeting as wildfires threaten bordeaux

    French President Emmanuel Macron has called an emergency cabinet meeting to coordinate the response to massive wildfires sweeping through southwestern France, as firefighters work to stop the flames from reaching Bordeaux. The meeting comes amid forecasts of another heatwave later this week, raising concerns that high temperatures could further worsen the situation. Firefighters battled the blaze overnight, while authorities in Gironde, the wine-producing region that includes Bordeaux, described the situation as “broadly stable.” Bordeaux Mayor Thomas Cazenave said Sunday that the fire remained “at the gates of the metropolitan area.” At its closest point, the blaze was around 15 kilometres (9 miles) from the Bordeaux metropolitan area, which is home to roughly 850,000 people. Wildfires across France and Spain have caused widespread disruption and forced more than 300,000 people to evacuate their homes. The fires have intensified as Europe faces record-breaking temperatures, with scientists warning that extreme heat is leaving the continent increasingly dry and vulnerable to wildfires. Europe has already endured three heatwaves this summer, fuelling fires across several countries and contributing to new temperature records.

  • | |

    Lebanese troops move into first pilot zone as Isra…

    Lebanon’s army began deploying troops into a designated pilot zone in the country’s south on Tuesday, following an Israeli withdrawal from part of the area under a framework agreement reached last month with US backing. The army command said engineering units entered the village of Zawtar al Gharbiyeh in Nabatieh district on Tuesday morning. Later, the command reported that Israeli forces had opened fire near the troops. Israel’s military said its soldiers fired warning shots after Lebanese troops crossed into what Israel considers a security zone. The pilot zone arrangement envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from a limited portion of territory occupied during the conflict with Hezbollah, alongside the disarmament of the Iran backed Lebanese group. Tuesday’s deployment began ahead of a scheduled meeting in Washington between President Donald Trump and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun. Aoun was expected to press Trump to push Israel toward withdrawing from the remainder of southern Lebanon and to back the Lebanese army as it works to establish full control over areas currently under Hezbollah’s influence. Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Aoun said he told Trump he needed two things from him, political support and backing for the Lebanese Armed Forces. Trump, speaking alongside Aoun, pledged that the United States would help a country he said had been hit hard for decades, adding that Lebanon has been badly treated and deserves proper treatment and respect going forward. The US State Department announced Monday afternoon that pilot zone operations had begun in Zawtar al Gharbiyeh along with two other villages, Froun and Srifa, consistent with the trilateral framework agreed by Israel, Lebanon and the United States at the end of June. The department described the development as a milestone stemming directly from talks held last week between Israeli and Lebanese representatives in Rome. Later Monday, an Israeli military official confirmed that Israeli forces would adjust their posture in one of the pilot areas to allow the Lebanese army to carry out its mission, while also protecting Israeli soldiers and preserving the military’s right to self defense and to eliminate threats. The official said the goal of the pilot programme and the broader agreement remains the disarmament of Hezbollah and the removal of its illegal weapons, adding that Israeli forces would stay in the security zone, a strip of occupied Lebanese territory roughly ten kilometers deep along the border, for as long as necessary to protect communities in northern Israel. On Tuesday, Lebanon’s army command said its units began deploying to Zawtar al Gharbiyeh based on ongoing coordination with the Military Coordination Group for Lebanon, the trilateral body established to support implementation of the framework. The command urged Lebanese citizens to avoid traveling to the village until the security situation stabilizes and to follow instructions from deployed military units for their own safety. Later Tuesday, the army command said Israeli forces opened fire near these units and warned that the incident hinders progress on deployment across the pilot zones. Israel’s military said its soldiers fired warning shots into the air after Lebanese troops and an engineering vehicle crossed roughly 150 meters into the security zone and breached barriers in the neighboring area of Zawtar al Sharqiyeh. The military said Lebanese troops then withdrew from the area and that no injuries occurred. The Lebanese army said its troops were already carrying out missions in the nearby villages of Froun and Srifa following Monday’s announcement from Washington. An Israeli source told a regional newspaper that no Israeli troops remained stationed in those villages. Separately on Tuesday, Lebanon’s state news agency reported that Israeli forces caused two large explosions near the villages of Beit Yahoun and Kounine in Bint Jbeil district, along with blasts from Israeli controlled demolitions in the town of Majdal Zoun in Tyre district. In areas still under Israeli occupation, numerous villages have suffered extensive destruction from strikes and demolitions. Israel’s military says it has been dismantling Hezbollah infrastructure, though human rights organizations have said some of the destruction amounts to deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure, potentially constituting a war crime. Hezbollah has rejected the trilateral agreement between Lebanon’s government, Israel and the United States, saying provisions linking Israeli withdrawal to its own disarmament cross what it called all red lines. Israel has said it will not fully withdraw from Lebanon until Hezbollah disarms completely. Trump said the United States has concrete plans to help Lebanon build the capacity needed to disarm Hezbollah, though he offered no specific details. He also said the Lebanese army is becoming increasingly self sufficient, and added that he would speak directly with Hezbollah representatives if Aoun requested it. Lebanon became entangled in the broader war between Israel, the United States and Iran on March 2, when Hezbollah launched rockets into Israel in retaliation for a strike that killed Iran’s supreme leader. Israel responded with a bombing campaign across Lebanon and an invasion of a significant portion of the country’s south. More than 4,300 people have died in Lebanon since then, including nearly 800 children, women and medics, according to Lebanon’s health ministry. Israeli authorities say 37 Israeli soldiers and four civilians have been killed on both sides of the border during the conflict. The pilot zone deployment marks the first tangible step toward implementing the trilateral framework since its signing, though continued friction between Lebanese and Israeli forces on the ground, along with Hezbollah’s outright rejection of the agreement’s terms, points to a difficult path ahead for a plan meant to end one of the region’s longest running conflicts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *