|

India’s Supreme Court protects student protesters as government moves to tighten exam leak laws

India’s Supreme Court has directed authorities not to take any coercive action against student protesters involved in recent demonstrations over examination paper leaks. The court also ordered the immediate release of all detained protesters who are under the age of 18 and instructed officials to preserve surveillance footage and digital records linked to the protests as allegations of police brutality continue to be examined.

According to Indian media reports, Chief Justice Surya Kant issued the interim directions while hearing petitions filed by students and rights activists. The petitions accused police and paramilitary forces of using excessive force, including pellet guns, against demonstrators during weeks of protests in New Delhi and several other cities. The court stressed that all available evidence, including drone recordings, body camera footage and CCTV videos, must be secured to ensure a fair investigation. It also ordered that the personal and digital data of protesters should remain protected and must not be made public.

The Chief Justice said any investigation into the allegations would be meaningless if responsibility was not fixed for those found guilty of misconduct. He emphasized the need for an independent and impartial inquiry into claims that innocent protesters were subjected to unnecessary violence during the demonstrations.

The Indian government has maintained that police acted within the law while controlling large crowds. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the court that although complaints of attacks on students deserved serious attention, nearly 250 police personnel were also injured during the protests. He said the government had no objection to an independent investigation into the incidents.

At the same time, the government has introduced proposed amendments aimed at imposing much tougher punishments for examination paper leaks. The bill, presented in parliament during the ongoing monsoon session, seeks to increase the maximum prison sentence for those involved in leaking examination papers from five years to ten years. It also proposes fines of more than one million dollars and faster court proceedings to deal with such cases.

Senior minister Jitendra Singh said the amendments demonstrate the government’s commitment to protecting students and restoring confidence in the country’s examination system. He told lawmakers the proposed changes are intended to strengthen existing laws and ensure swift justice so that the credibility of national examinations can be rebuilt.

The issue has dominated parliament since lawmakers returned for the monsoon session last week. Opposition parties have repeatedly disrupted proceedings while demanding accountability for the police response to the student movement and pressing the government to address concerns over the handling of the exam leak crisis.

The nationwide protests began after question papers for a national medical college entrance examination were leaked, sparking anger among students who believed the integrity of the examination process had been compromised. The demonstrations ended on Saturday after Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned and the government accepted key demands from protest leaders. These included reforms to the examination system, the withdrawal of police cases against protesters and compensation for families of students who reportedly died by suicide following the scandal.

Clashes between protesters and security forces were reported in several cities during the demonstrations. In New Delhi, police used tear gas and baton charges to stop protesters attempting to march toward parliament. Authorities also suspended a police officer in eastern India after he fired warning shots into the air while trying to disperse protesters.

The protests have also sparked concerns over the government’s use of advanced surveillance technology. Activists questioned the deployment of AI powered mobile surveillance vehicles after images shared online appeared to show police using high mounted cameras capable of monitoring crowds from every direction. Meanwhile, the student group leading the movement claimed that hundreds of protesters remain in custody across different states despite earlier commitments made by the government.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Court rules d4vd will stand trial in teen murder case

    A Los Angeles judge has ruled that there is sufficient evidence for singer d4vd, whose real name is David Anthony Burke, to stand trial in the murder case of 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. The decision followed a five-day preliminary hearing during which prosecutors presented forensic evidence, text messages and witness testimony related to the teenager’s death. Burke has pleaded not guilty to all charges. According to court proceedings, Burke is facing charges including first-degree murder, continuous sexual abuse of a child under 14, and unlawful mutilation of human remains. Prosecutors allege he killed Rivas Hernandez in April 2025 after she threatened to expose their alleged illegal relationship, which they claim could have damaged his rapidly rising music career. The court heard that the victim’s remains were discovered in September 2025 inside the trunk of a Tesla registered to Burke after authorities investigated a foul odour coming from the vehicle. Medical examiners later ruled the teenager’s death a homicide. Prosecutors also presented evidence they say links Burke to the crime, including DNA findings, electronic communications and purchases allegedly connected to the disposal of the body. During the hearing, prosecutors also introduced text messages exchanged between Burke and Rivas Hernandez that allegedly discussed pregnancy and abortion. Additional evidence included explicit photographs recovered from Burke’s phone and digital accounts, which prosecutors argue support their claim that the pair had an illegal sexual relationship before the teenager’s death. Burke’s defence team argued that prosecutors had failed to establish evidence of premeditated murder and maintained that the singer is innocent. His lawyers insisted the evidence presented does not prove he intentionally killed the teenager and said they will continue to challenge the prosecution’s case at trial. Burke has consistently denied all allegations since his arrest earlier this year. After reviewing the evidence, the judge ruled that prosecutors had presented enough material for the case to proceed before a jury. The decision means Burke will now face a full criminal trial, where prosecutors will be required to prove their allegations beyond a reasonable doubt. He remains in custody without bail pending further proceedings. The case has attracted widespread attention because of Burke’s rapid rise in the music industry before his arrest. Prosecutors contend that the alleged murder was committed to prevent Rivas Hernandez from revealing details of their relationship, while the defence maintains that Burke has been wrongly accused. Burke is expected to be arraigned on August 31, with the trial likely to begin within the following weeks. Prosecutors have not yet announced whether they will seek the death penalty if he is convicted. Meanwhile, the family of Celeste Rivas Hernandez has welcomed the judge’s ruling, saying they are relieved the case will now move forward to trial.

  • |

    Zendaya’s wedding dress gets mysterious hint from Law Roach

    Zendaya’s secret wedding dress has received another intriguing hint, this time from her longtime stylist Law Roach, who has remained tight-lipped about the highly anticipated gown. During a recent interview with Ziwe Fumudoh, Roach was asked about Zendaya’s wedding dress and the online speculation surrounding what the actress may have worn for her reported wedding to Tom Holland. Fumudoh reminded Roach that he had previously appeared on television and claimed Zendaya’s real wedding dress was far better than the artificial intelligence-generated images that had circulated online. When asked to describe the mysterious gown, the stylist kept his answer short and playful. “Better than AI,” he said. The three-word response has only added to the curiosity surrounding Zendaya’s bridal look, which has been kept away from the public eye. Fans have been flooded with AI-generated images claiming to show what the actress might have worn, but Roach has repeatedly insisted that those images do not reflect the actual dress. During an appearance on Good Morning America in June 2026, Roach was asked about the viral AI-created wedding gown. He was quick to dismiss the design, saying it was not good enough and confidently assuring viewers that Zendaya’s real dress was much better. When host Lara Spencer asked whether the final gown looked anything like the AI-generated version, Roach gave a firm response and rejected the comparison. His comments are consistent with what he revealed about Zendaya and Holland’s approach to their relationship more than a year earlier. In a May 2025 interview, Roach explained that the couple had always valued their privacy and were unlikely to make their wedding a major public event. According to the stylist, Zendaya and Holland wanted to keep the occasion intimate and protected from excessive media attention. He also suggested that fans should not expect an elaborate magazine feature or widely circulated photographs from the ceremony. Roach explained that Zendaya’s wedding dress could ultimately become something very few people outside the wedding would ever see, making the gown even more mysterious. What sparked Zendaya and Tom Holland’s marriage rumours? Zendaya and Tom Holland have been romantically linked since 2017, when their relationship first became a major subject of public interest. Although the pair have generally avoided discussing their romance in detail, their appearances together and occasional public moments have continued to fuel interest. The couple reportedly became engaged during the 2024 holiday season, further intensifying speculation about when they might officially tie the knot. In March 2026, wedding rumours reached another level when Law Roach appeared at the SAG Awards and made comments that appeared to suggest Zendaya and Holland had already exchanged vows. While neither star has publicly shared extensive details about a ceremony, Roach’s remarks gave fans a significant reason to believe that the wedding may have already taken place. For now, Zendaya’s wedding dress remains one of the biggest mysteries surrounding the couple. With Roach continuing to insist that the real gown is “better than AI,” fans may have to wait much longer before seeing the look for themselves.

  • |

    Jr NTR injured, doctors recommend six to eight weeks of rest

    Actor Jr NTR has sustained a shoulder injury and has been advised to take complete rest for the next six to eight weeks, according to an official statement released by his team on Monday. The announcement reassured fans that there is no reason to be concerned, adding that the actor is receiving appropriate medical care and is expected to make a full recovery. The statement noted that the injury occurred earlier in the day and that he underwent a detailed medical examination soon afterward. Following the evaluation, a team of doctors recommended a recovery period of six to eight weeks to allow the injury to heal properly. During this time, the actor has been instructed to avoid strenuous activities and focus entirely on rehabilitation. The statement emphasized that the rest period is a precautionary measure aimed at ensuring a smooth and complete recovery. It also thanked fans and well-wishers for their continued support and understanding, while promising that any further updates regarding the actor’s health would be shared through official channels when appropriate. The injury comes at a time when Jr NTR has been busy working on his much-anticipated upcoming film Dragon, directed by acclaimed filmmaker Prashanth Neel. The project has generated significant excitement among moviegoers, marking the first collaboration between the actor and the director known for delivering large-scale action entertainers. The film has been in production for an extended period, with fans eagerly awaiting fresh updates. Earlier this year, the makers unveiled the film’s title along with its first glimpse to coincide with Jr NTR’s birthday celebrations in May. The teaser introduced audiences to the intense world of Dragon, showcasing Jr NTR in a powerful action-packed avatar. Packed with high-energy visuals, dramatic sequences, and the actor’s commanding screen presence, the glimpse heightened anticipation for the film’s release. Directed by Prashanth Neel, who is widely recognized for blockbuster action films, Dragon is expected to be one of the biggest releases featuring Jr NTR in the coming years. The project has attracted attention not only for its scale but also for bringing together one of Indian cinema’s most popular actors with a filmmaker known for creating visually striking action dramas. While the actor’s injury may temporarily affect his shooting schedule, the official statement did not provide any information regarding possible changes to the film’s production timeline. Fans have since flooded social media with messages wishing Jr NTR a speedy recovery and expressing hope that he returns to work only after making a complete recovery. For now, the focus remains on the actor’s health as he follows medical advice during the recommended rest period. Supporters are expected to await further updates from his team regarding both his recovery and the progress of Dragon.

  • |

    Scottish FA withdraws support for Infantino amid FIFA controversy

    The Scottish Football Association (SFA) has withdrawn its support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino, adding to the growing pressure on the football governing body’s chief ahead of next year’s presidential election. The decision follows Infantino’s controversial proposal involving private investment and the potential sale of stakes linked to the World Cup. The plan has faced strong opposition from several European football associations, raising fresh questions over FIFA’s governance and transparency. SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirmed on Monday that Scotland would not vote for Infantino at the next FIFA Congress. “The Scottish FA will not be voting for Gianni Infantino. That’s in line with the UEFA position, and we’ve maintained that stance throughout,” Maxwell said. Scotland has joined England, Ireland and Wales among European federations that have withdrawn their backing for the FIFA president. Infantino is facing mounting criticism after three football confederations accused him of “deception” over his private-investor World Cup proposal in an open letter published last week. The controversy has also placed greater attention on FIFA’s internal governance. SFA president Mike Mulraney currently serves as chair of FIFA’s finance committee. Maxwell said football administrators should focus on their responsibilities rather than remaining constantly in the public spotlight. He argued that FIFA needs stronger transparency, better governance and improved communication with its member associations. “There’s obviously been a fall-down in governance,” Maxwell said, adding that changes to FIFA’s structure and approach would need to be discussed. With opposition growing across Europe, Infantino faces an increasingly difficult challenge as he seeks to retain his position and secure another term at next year’s FIFA Congress.

  • |

    England name 16-man squad for first two Tests against Pakistan

    England have unveiled their 16-member squad for the first two Tests of their three-match series against Pakistan, with Joe Root set to lead the side after Ben Stokes’ retirement. The first Test will begin on August 19 at Headingley in Leeds, marking the start of what promises to be a closely watched series between the two sides. Root has been handed the captaincy once again following Stokes’ retirement, placing the experienced batter at the centre of England’s plans against Pakistan. England have also welcomed back several familiar faces. Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Brydon Carse and Sam Cook have returned to the squad, adding experience and depth to the team. However, England will be without Jacob Bethell, who has been ruled out of the Pakistan series because of a right knee injury. With Root back in charge and several key players returning, England will look to make a strong start at Leeds before the teams move on to the second Test. Pakistan will be hoping to challenge England’s home advantage and seize an early lead in the three-match contest. England Squad Joe Root (C), Jofra Archer, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, Harry Brook, Brydon Carse, Sam Cook, Jordan Cox, Ben Duckett, Matthew Fisher, Emilio Gay, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Jamie Smith and Josh Tongue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *