jamaateislami announces 15day
| |

Jamaat-e-Islami announces 15-day protest against p…

Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) has announced a sit-in outside the Governor House in Sindh today against the government’s decision not to reduce the petroleum levy. The party has also prepared a 15-day schedule for the protest campaign.

JI chief Hafiz Naeemur Rehman said an increase in petroleum product prices leads to higher costs across the country and puts additional pressure on ordinary citizens.

He criticised what he described as an unequal tax system, saying the country’s elite class was not paying its fair share of taxes while poor people continued to struggle with rising expenses.

Naeemur Rehman also alleged that privileged groups enjoyed various benefits without paying their due share, while taxes were not being properly collected from the incomes of owners of independent power producers (IPPs).

Meanwhile, JI Karachi chief Munim Zafar said the government had already collected around Rs100 billion more than its targeted revenue from the petroleum levy.

He accused the government of turning the petroleum levy into a major source of revenue after failing to achieve its broader tax collection targets.

The JI has also announced a protest sit-in in Lahore against the petroleum levy. The demonstration will be held at Charing Cross on The Mall.

The party has been demanding a reduction in the petroleum levy, arguing that lower fuel-related charges could help ease inflationary pressure on households and businesses.

JI leaders said their protests would continue until the government addressed their concerns and provided relief to citizens facing rising living costs.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Harry Styles turns onstage slip into viral moment

    Harry Styles won over fans once again after turning an unexpected onstage slip into one of the most memorable moments of his concert in Mexico City. Instead of letting the mishap interrupt his performance, the singer embraced it with humour, drawing cheers and laughter from thousands of concertgoers. The incident occurred on Saturday, August 1, during Styles’ performance at Estadio GNP Seguros in Mexico City. As the Watermelon Sugar singer performed on a raised section of the stage, he briefly lost his footing, creating an unexpected moment that was quickly captured by audience members. A 12-second video of the incident soon began circulating across social media platforms, with fans sharing clips from multiple angles. Rather than rushing to get back on his feet, the former One Direction star handled the situation with his trademark confidence and humour. After falling onto the stage, Styles casually remained on the floor, striking a playful pose while continuing to sing into the microphone without missing a beat. His relaxed reaction transformed what could have been an awkward moment into one of the night’s biggest highlights. The audience immediately responded with loud cheers and applause as the singer laughed off the mishap and carried on with the performance. Fans praised Styles online for his ability to remain composed and entertain the crowd despite the unexpected slip. One social media user joked: “It suits his name harry styles, fall with styles too.” Another fan, who had watched several recordings of the incident, wrote: “I have seen 4 or 5 different angles video its getting more interesting more smoothly bc of this cool diva Keep them coming.” A third supporter commented: “He is like nothing happened. look at me im the diva here.” The viral clips quickly gained traction online, with many fans describing the singer’s response as the perfect example of his easygoing personality and professionalism during live performances. Rather than allowing the accident to distract him, Styles incorporated it naturally into the show, earning admiration from concertgoers and viewers alike. For the Mexico City performance, the As It Was singer wore a red blazer paired with a colourful floral tie, a look that matched the energetic atmosphere of the concert. The brief mishap has since become one of the most widely shared moments from his Mexico shows, with fans praising not only his stage presence but also his ability to turn an unexpected fall into an entertaining part of the performance. Harry Styles has built a reputation for handling live performances with spontaneity and humour, and this latest viral clip has only reinforced that image. What could have been an embarrassing moment instead became a fan-favourite highlight, demonstrating why audiences continue to appreciate his relaxed attitude and charismatic connection with the crowd during every performance. 

  • |

    Trump aide impersonator texts UK PM, sparking security scare

    A security mystery has emerged after an individual posing as White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles reportedly exchanged text messages with UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham. The communications have raised concerns in both Britain and the United States. Officials are examining how the impersonator was able to establish contact with the British prime minister. According to reports, Burnham received a limited number of messages from the individual while he was campaigning for office. The communication reportedly continued for a short period after he became prime minister. Sources familiar with the matter said the messages were ultimately considered to be of no significant consequence. However, the incident triggered concerns because the impersonator claimed to represent a senior White House official. The matter was serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the issue directly with the White House. British officials initially considered the possibility that the real Susie Wiles’ phone, contact information or communications may have been compromised. Authorities therefore examined whether the incident involved a wider security breach. The identity of the person behind the impersonation remains unclear. The incident has highlighted the growing risks posed by sophisticated impersonation scams. High-profile political figures are increasingly being targeted by individuals who attempt to gain their trust by pretending to be senior officials or influential public figures. Similar incidents have previously involved prominent American politicians and business leaders. In such cases, scammers have used false identities and digital communications to establish contact with their targets. The latest case has attracted particular attention because of the positions held by the people involved. Wiles is a senior figure within the White House, while Burnham is the UK prime minister. Despite the security concerns, there is currently no indication that sensitive information was exchanged during the messages. Sources described the content of the communications as having no significant impact. Downing Street has declined to discuss the specific details of the incident. British officials have maintained that national security matters are not normally discussed publicly. The White House has also declined to comment on the reported communications or the identity of the impersonator. The incident nevertheless raises questions about how the individual obtained access to Burnham and successfully presented themselves as a senior White House official. Officials are expected to examine the communication trail and other available evidence to determine how the impersonation occurred. The case also highlights the challenges faced by governments in verifying digital identities. Text messages and other online communications can make it easier for individuals to impersonate senior officials, particularly when they use convincing names, photographs or other identifying details. For now, the mystery surrounding the impersonator’s identity remains unresolved. Authorities have not publicly identified the person responsible or confirmed whether the incident was part of a broader campaign.

  • | |

    Hayden Panettiere dies at 36, fans mourn actress

    American actress Hayden Panettiere has died at the age of 36, according to media reports. Panettiere was widely known for her work in American television and films. She gained recognition at a young age and later became a familiar face among international audiences. Her death was confirmed by her representative, according to reports. However, the reports did not immediately provide further details about the circumstances of her death. Panettiere also appeared in Disney’s 2005 film Ice Princess. She starred in the movie alongside actress Michelle Trachtenberg. The film became one of the notable projects associated with both actresses. The two actresses later became part of a sad connection after Trachtenberg died in February last year at the age of 39. Panettiere built her career through a combination of television and film roles. She appeared in several American productions and developed a strong following during her years in the entertainment industry. Her performances helped establish her as a recognisable actress. She remained active in the public eye through her professional work and appearances. News of her death has prompted an outpouring of grief from fans. Many have taken to social media to remember her performances and pay tribute to her career. The actress’s passing at such a young age has also shocked many people in the entertainment world. Fans and viewers have remembered her for the characters she portrayed throughout her career. Panettiere’s work in both television and cinema made her a familiar name to audiences. Her role in Ice Princess remains one of the projects frequently associated with her career. Further information about her death and funeral arrangements had not been made public in the reports available at the time of publication.

  • New Thai Law Mandates Cannabis Shops Convert to Full Clinics

    BANGKOK – Thailand’s cannabis regulatory landscape is undergoing a major transformation, with all licensed cannabis shops now required to convert into full-fledged medical clinics under a new government decree. The move aims to restrict cannabis use strictly to medical purposes and imposes rigorous operational and staffing standards on existing businesses. Thailand to Review Cannabis Regulations […]

  • | |

    Sindh Cabinet approves toll tax for heavy commerci…

      The Sindh provincial cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, has approved the imposition of a toll tax on heavy commercial vehicles using the Mehran Highway. The decision was made during a cabinet meeting as part of the provincial government’s broader strategy to establish a sustainable financial system for the maintenance and development of road infrastructure across Sindh. According to the cabinet’s decision, the toll tax will apply exclusively to heavy and commercial vehicles traveling on the 135-kilometer-long Mehran Highway. Private passenger vehicles will not be subject to the new toll under the current policy. Officials stated that commercial transport vehicles place greater pressure on road infrastructure due to their size and weight, making it appropriate for them to contribute to the highway’s maintenance through toll payments. During the meeting, cabinet members received a detailed briefing on the ongoing development of the Mehran Highway. Officials informed the cabinet that the project to expand the highway into a dual carriageway is currently underway at an estimated cost of Rs41 billion. The project is intended to improve road safety, increase transportation efficiency, reduce travel time, and accommodate the growing volume of traffic, particularly heavy commercial vehicles that regularly use the route for the movement of goods. The briefing also highlighted the expected financial benefits of the toll collection system. It was estimated that the toll tax would generate approximately Rs2.14 billion in annual gross revenue. After deducting operational and administrative expenses associated with collecting the toll, the government expects a net annual income of around Rs1.48 billion. These funds are intended to support the regular maintenance, repair, and future upgrading of the highway, ensuring that it remains in good condition for years to come. The cabinet further approved a schedule of toll charges based on different categories of vehicles. Under this system, toll rates will vary according to the type, size, and classification of each vehicle. Heavy trucks, trailers, buses, and other commercial transport vehicles will be charged according to predetermined rates. Officials explained that this category-based approach is designed to make the toll system fair and proportionate, with larger vehicles contributing more because of the greater wear and tear they cause to road infrastructure. In another significant administrative decision, the Sindh cabinet approved the restoration of the traditional name of the provincial department responsible for road construction and public infrastructure. The department, which had previously been renamed the Works and Services Department will once again be known as the Communication and Works Department. The government stated that the name change is intended to align Sindh’s administrative structure with that of the federal government and other provinces, where the department is commonly known by the same title. Speaking after the cabinet meeting, Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah emphasized that the Sindh government is committed to introducing a self-sustaining financial model for the long-term maintenance of highways and road networks. He said that relying solely on government budget allocations is not sufficient to meet the increasing costs of maintaining modern transportation jobs infrastructure. According to him, the introduction of toll collection on major highways will provide a stable source of revenue that can be reinvested directly into road maintenance and improvement projects. The Chief Minister added that better roads are essential for economic growth, trade, and public safety. By ensuring a reliable funding mechanism for highway upkeep, the government aims to enhance transportation services, reduce infrastructure deterioration, and improve connectivity throughout the province. The approval of the toll tax and the continuation of the Mehran Highway expansion project represent important steps toward achieving these long-term development objectives while promoting a more efficient and financially sustainable road network in Sindh.

  • | |

    Google slapped with $1bn EU fine, holds talks to dodge further penalties

    The European Union has fined Google about €890 million, or $1 billion. The fine punishes Google for breaking EU rules meant to control the power of big tech companies. But regulators also hinted that no more fines are coming soon, because Google is making good progress toward following the rules. The fine has two parts. The first part, €460 million, is for Google favoring its own products. When people search for things like shopping, hotels, flights, or sports scores, Google often showed its own results first instead of treating competitors fairly. The second part, €430 million, is about the Google Play app store. Google had stopped app makers from telling users about cheaper deals outside the app store. This is the first time Google has been fined under this specific EU law, called the Digital Markets Act. But counting older cases, Google has now paid six fines for unfair business practices. In total, the company has paid more than €10 billion in EU fines over about twenty years. EU officials said they are just enforcing the law. “Our job is to make sure the rules are followed,” said Teresa Ribera, the EU’s top antitrust official. Another official, Henna Virkkunen, said the goal is fair competition. Google now has 60 days to fix its practices. Google is not happy. A company spokesperson said the changes will hurt features people like, such as quick pricing for hotels and flights. He said the ruling is not really about fair competition, it is making Google’s products worse to please a small number of complainers. Even so, there is good news for Google too. The EU said Google has already started testing new ways of showing search results more fairly. It called this real progress. The EU may also apply the same rules to Google’s AI tools, like AI Overviews. Talks about this are still ongoing. Google’s changes to its app store rules were also seen as a step in the right direction. This fight is happening while tensions rise between the US and EU. The Trump administration says Europe is unfairly targeting American companies and has threatened tariffs in response. Some US lawmakers agree. Google’s fine comes after the EU already fined Apple and Meta last year under the same law. It shows the EU is serious about controlling big tech, even as pressure grows from the US side.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *