karachi sees drop
| |

Karachi sees drop in robbery, murder cases

Karachi Police Chief Azad Khan has claimed that incidents of robbery and murder have declined across the city, saying the rate of vehicle and motorcycle snatching has fallen by 25%.

Speaking during a visit to the Site Association of Industry office, Azad Khan said the latest results were encouraging. However, he added that the police wanted to achieve further improvements in the city’s security situation.

The Karachi police chief said authorities were also taking cases of extortion seriously. He said he was personally monitoring such cases and assured the business community that no leniency would be shown towards extortionists and their associates.

Azad Khan said many extortionists were still operating from outside the city. He claimed that police had information about them and their networks.

He said their associates were allegedly intimidating citizens and businesspeople. Police would take action against anyone found involved in threatening or extorting residents, he added.

The police chief stressed that peace in Karachi had been restored after considerable efforts. He said maintaining the city’s security was now a major responsibility.

Azad Khan also linked security with Karachi’s economic stability. He said the city’s economic security was extremely important because a weak economy could lead to higher unemployment and crime.

He said Karachi’s business community had an important role in the city’s economy. Ensuring a secure environment for businesses was therefore necessary for continued economic activity and investment.

The Karachi police chief also spoke about his personal connection with the city. He said he had grown up in Karachi and felt that the city had a debt that needed to be repaid through public service.

He acknowledged that the Sindh Police faced several challenges. However, he said efforts were continuing to improve law and order and provide better services to residents.

Azad Khan also highlighted the increasing use of technology in policing.

He said authorities had not waited for the completion of the Safe City project to introduce the e-challan system. The police would continue moving forward with technology rather than returning to traditional methods.

He said the department was also exploring the use of artificial intelligence-based traffic signals. However, such systems required significant investment.

The police chief said the authorities were making every effort to provide better public services. He also announced that a major plan was being prepared to tackle encroachments across Karachi.

He said the removal of illegal encroachments would be addressed through a broader strategy.

The police leadership’s comments come as Karachi continues to face challenges related to street crime, traffic management, extortion and urban development.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Sindh announces MDCAT 2026 exam date

    The Medical and Dental College Admission Test (MDCAT) 2026 in Sindh will be held on Sunday, August 16, under the supervision of Sukkur IBA Testing Services (SIBA Testing Services). According to SIBA Testing Services, examination centres have been established in Karachi, Hyderabad, Jamshoro, Larkana, Sukkur, Mirpurkhas, Shaheed Benazirabad and Islamabad to facilitate candidates. In Karachi, the test will be conducted at NED University of Engineering and Technology, while candidates in Hyderabad will appear at Public School Latifabad. The examination will also take place at Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences in Jamshoro, Mir Sher Muhammad Talpur Public School in Mirpurkhas, Police Training School Ground on Wagon Road in Larkana, Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science and Technology in Shaheed Benazirabad, and IBA Public School on Old Airport Road in Sukkur. Candidates from Sindh who have relocated to Islamabad will take the test at the Pakistan National Council of the Arts (PNCA) test centre. SIBA Testing Services said the examination will last three hours. Candidates have been instructed to arrive at their designated centres on time, and no one will be allowed to leave the examination hall before the test concludes. The testing authority added that separate waiting areas will be arranged for parents at all examination centres. Essential stationery and drinking water will also be provided to candidates inside the examination halls.

  • |

    Akanksha Chamola opens up about divorce from Gaurav Khanna

    Akanksha Chamola has once again spoken openly about her separation from actor Gaurav Khanna, revealing that their divorce is now definitely moving forward. The actress had previously surprised viewers of Lock Upp Season 2 when she casually disclosed that she and Gaurav were heading towards divorce. The revelation came as a shock to many fans because Akanksha had never publicly discussed problems in her marriage before appearing on the reality show. Her comments on Lock Upp marked the first time she spoke about the situation in such a direct manner, leaving viewers surprised by the sudden disclosure. During her time on the show, Akanksha also opened up about several personal aspects of her life. She spoke candidly about her bisexuality and revealed that she does not want to have children. Her decision to discuss such private matters on television sparked considerable interest among viewers. Now, during a recent event covered by NewsX, Akanksha addressed questions about her divorce and confirmed that the separation is indeed taking place. She clarified that the decision was not a recent development and had actually been made well before she entered Lock Upp Season 2. According to Akanksha, the divorce process had already begun before Gaurav participated in Khatron Ke Khiladi. However, the couple has not yet completed the formalities because their busy professional schedules have made it difficult for them to find the right time to sit together and sign the necessary documents. Akanksha explained that life can be particularly complicated for actors, especially when both partners are working and trying to manage demanding schedules. She suggested that despite their decision to separate, completing the legal process has taken longer than expected because of their conflicting commitments. The actress further revealed that she and Gaurav had spent considerable time thinking about their relationship before reaching the decision to end their marriage. She said the decision was made around two months before she entered Lock Upp, while also placing it before Gaurav’s stint on Khatron Ke Khiladi. Akanksha explained that the couple did not arrive at the decision suddenly. Instead, they took around 18 months to understand their relationship and determine whether they could continue their marriage. After spending that time reflecting on their future together, they eventually concluded that the relationship was no longer working for them. Her latest comments provide further clarity about the couple’s separation and indicate that the divorce is now expected to be completed once they are able to manage their schedules and finish the required formalities. Akanksha’s decision to speak about the matter publicly has also given fans a clearer understanding of why the divorce process has taken time, while making it clear that the separation was a carefully considered decision rather than a sudden development.

  • | |

    Zoe Saldaña reveals plans to step behind the came…

      Zoe Saldaña has built an impressive career in Hollywood, achieving milestones that only a small number of actors can claim. From becoming an Academy Award winner to appearing in some of the world’s most successful film franchises, the actress has established herself as one of the industry’s most recognisable stars. However, Saldaña now appears ready to explore a completely different side of filmmaking by considering a move into directing. During an appearance at the Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland, Saldaña spoke about her desire to eventually take control behind the camera. Addressing the festival audience, the actress said she believed there would come a point when simply watching other directors work would no longer be enough for her. Saldaña joked that after observing directors for so long, she might eventually feel compelled to take over the camera herself. Her comments reflected her growing interest in expanding her creative role within the film industry and exploring storytelling from a director’s perspective. The actress also expressed confidence in her own instincts, particularly when discussing women and their ability to recognise what they believe is right. With a humorous tone, she suggested that women often feel confident in their opinions because they are correct a significant amount of the time. For Saldaña, directing could provide an opportunity to test those instincts and prove what she can accomplish outside her established acting career. Her remarks came as she was being honoured at the prestigious Locarno Film Festival. Saldaña received a Special Honorary Pardo at the event, recognising her contribution to cinema and her successful career across a wide range of projects. During her appearance, the actress also reflected on her childhood and the experience of growing up between different cultures. Born in the Dominican Republic, Saldaña said her background and experiences of feeling like an outsider have played an important role in shaping the way she approaches acting and develops her characters. She recalled the challenges of being separated from a New York environment where she had been exposed to people from different backgrounds and cultures. According to Saldaña, living in a diverse environment allowed her to encounter different perspectives and understand the world beyond a single cultural identity. She later moved to a much smaller and more culturally homogeneous island, an experience she described as difficult during her formative years. The transition brought significant challenges, particularly because she encountered a society with a more unified religious and cultural identity. Despite the difficulties, Saldaña believes those experiences ultimately became valuable to her as an actor. She explained that the challenges of growing up between different cultural environments helped her develop a broader understanding of people and identities. That perspective, she suggested, became particularly useful when portraying some of her most famous characters, including Neytiri in the Avatar franchise and Gamora in the Guardians of the Galaxy films. For Saldaña, growing up between cultures provided both struggles and opportunities for personal development. She believes being exposed to different ways of life enriched her understanding of human experiences and gave her additional emotional depth as a performer. Now, after years of success in front of the camera, Saldaña appears interested in turning those experiences into a new creative challenge. Her potential move into directing could mark an important new chapter in her career, allowing her to bring her perspective, cultural experiences and storytelling instincts to filmmaking from behind the camera.

  • |

    Campaigners demand UK tour cancellation over Jared Leto claims

    Women’s safety campaigners are urging organisers to cancel Thirty Seconds to Mars’ upcoming UK concerts. The calls follow serious allegations of criminal sexual conduct against frontman Jared Leto. A BBC investigation published last week featured accounts from four women accusing the musician and actor of sexual assault and grooming. The alleged incidents reportedly took place across the 2000s and 2010s. At the time, the women were teenagers while Leto was in his 30s and 40s. He is now 54 years old and strongly denies all the allegations against him. Leto’s band is currently set to perform at two major UK arenas next April, in London and Manchester. Both the End Violence Against Women coalition and domestic abuse charity Women’s Aid have voiced concern over the shows going ahead. A Women’s Aid spokesperson told BBC Newsbeat it was troubling that concerts platforming an alleged abuser were still being planned. The charity urged organisers to prioritise safety over profit rather than continue giving such figures a stage. Janaya Walker, interim director of the End Violence Against Women Coalition, echoed that sentiment. She said the issue ultimately comes down to prioritising people, particularly women and girls, over commercial interests. Walker described the continued sale of tickets for the London and Manchester shows as deeply worrying. She warned it could cause real distress among survivors of gender-based violence, who may see coverage of the allegations followed by business proceeding as usual. Thirty Seconds to Mars, known for hits like “The Kill” and “This Is War,” was formed by Leto and his brother in the late 1990s. The band has since grown into a major international touring act. A related BBC documentary features former band associates describing discomfort around how Leto interacted with teenage girls backstage. One alleges young girls were regularly invited to meet him after concerts and at private residences. Among the accusers is a former model who says she felt compelled to lie about her age when meeting Leto at 19. She alleges a disturbing comment from Leto during a private encounter that followed. In total, ten women spoke to the BBC documentary, with nine sharing their accounts publicly for the first time. Leto did not respond to the BBC’s initial questions but later issued a firm denial, calling the accusations completely false.

  • | |

    Sherry Rehman accuses India of using flood situati…

    Pakistan Peoples Party Senator Sherry Rehman has criticised India’s water policies, accusing New Delhi of using the flood situation as a tool of “water aggression” against Pakistan. In a statement, Sherry Rehman said India was adopting a contradictory approach by threatening to suspend the Indus Waters Treaty while also releasing floodwater towards Pakistan. She claimed that India opened the gates of the Salal Dam, putting millions of Pakistanis at risk of flooding. She stressed that river water management should be handled responsibly and should not become a source of conflict between the two countries. The senator said India’s alleged failure to provide timely information about water flows had created uncertainty, particularly regarding the flow of the Chenab River. She warned that sudden changes in the river’s water levels could affect Pakistan’s irrigation system and agriculture. The Chenab River supports millions of acres of farmland in Punjab, and any unexpected increase or decrease in water flow could damage crops and impact farmers’ livelihoods. Sherry Rehman said Pakistan’s agricultural economy depends heavily on the proper management of river systems. She added that uncertain water policies could increase risks for farmers and create challenges for the country’s water security. She urged India to respect existing water agreements and follow international commitments. She said western rivers under the Indus Waters Treaty cannot be diverted, stored, or transferred in a manner that affects Pakistan’s water supply.

  • | |

    Four terrorists killed in Ziarat-Harnai operation

    Security forces have killed four terrorists in an intelligence-based operation in the mountainous area along the Ziarat-Harnai border in Balochistan, according to security sources. The operation was launched after intelligence reports indicated the presence of suspected terrorists in the remote mountainous region between Ziarat and Harnai. During surveillance, security personnel reportedly confirmed the presence of three to four terrorists inside an abandoned house in the area. Following confirmation of their presence, security forces surrounded the suspected hideout and carried out an effective operation against the militants, the sources said. Four terrorists were confirmed killed during the action, according to security officials. A search and sanitisation operation is continuing in the surrounding area to locate any remaining threats and ensure that the region has been cleared. Security forces are also maintaining heightened surveillance and continuing operations against militant elements in the area as part of ongoing efforts to prevent terrorist activity in Balochistan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *