macron calls crisis
|

Macron calls crisis meeting as wildfires threaten bordeaux

French President Emmanuel Macron has called an emergency cabinet meeting to coordinate the response to massive wildfires sweeping through southwestern France, as firefighters work to stop the flames from reaching Bordeaux.

The meeting comes amid forecasts of another heatwave later this week, raising concerns that high temperatures could further worsen the situation.

Firefighters battled the blaze overnight, while authorities in Gironde, the wine-producing region that includes Bordeaux, described the situation as “broadly stable.”

Bordeaux Mayor Thomas Cazenave said Sunday that the fire remained “at the gates of the metropolitan area.” At its closest point, the blaze was around 15 kilometres (9 miles) from the Bordeaux metropolitan area, which is home to roughly 850,000 people.

Wildfires across France and Spain have caused widespread disruption and forced more than 300,000 people to evacuate their homes. The fires have intensified as Europe faces record-breaking temperatures, with scientists warning that extreme heat is leaving the continent increasingly dry and vulnerable to wildfires.

Europe has already endured three heatwaves this summer, fuelling fires across several countries and contributing to new temperature records.

Similar Posts

  • | | | |

    Two UAE-linked ships attacked in Strait of Hormuz,…

    DUBAI: Two vessels belonging to Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) were attacked while passing through the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday evening, according to the UAE state news agency WAM and ADNOC. No injuries or deaths were reported. ADNOC said the situation had been brought under control and that authorities were managing the incident. The company did not immediately provide detailed information about the vessels, their cargoes or the extent of any damage. The United Arab Emirates has accused Iran of carrying out the attack, while Tehran has not immediately commented on the allegation. The UAE Foreign Ministry condemned what it described as a hostile Iranian attack and said targeting commercial shipping posed a threat to regional stability and global energy security. The incident is the latest in a series of attacks involving ADNOC-linked vessels in the strategic waterway. The company said earlier this month that 15 of its vessels had been attacked by missiles and drones since the conflict began, with one crew member killed and 20 injured in previous incidents. ADNOC said the safety and wellbeing of its crews, particularly maritime workers, remained its highest priority. It also stressed the importance of maintaining safe navigation and freedom of movement through the Strait of Hormuz. The latest attack comes as shipping traffic through the waterway remains well below normal levels amid heightened tensions between Iran and the United States. Kpler data showed that only nine commodity vessels passed through the strait on Thursday, compared with an August daily average of about 12. The Strait of Hormuz, located between Iran and Oman, is one of the world’s most important energy chokepoints. Before the current conflict, roughly one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments passed through the narrow waterway. Repeated attacks and growing security concerns have forced shipping companies to reassess routes, while some vessels have delayed or avoided transit altogether. ADNOC urged the public to rely only on official and verified information about the latest incident and avoid spreading rumours or unconfirmed claims. With tensions still high around the waterway, the latest attack has renewed concerns over the safety of commercial shipping and the potential impact on global energy markets.

  • |

    Cross-party US legislators introduce resolution demanding prompt elections in Caracas

    A bipartisan group of US senators has introduced a resolution urging the swift organisation of free, transparent elections in Venezuela. The measure comes seven months after the American intervention that removed former President Nicolas Maduro and placed Vice President Delcy Rodriguez in charge as acting president. Spearheaded by Republican Senator Ted Cruz and Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, the proposal demands the immediate release of political detainees and measures to protect political figures from violence or state retribution. The resolution highlights growing Congressional dissatisfaction with the current diplomatic stance of the White House, which lawmakers argue has failed to move the interim administration in Caracas toward establishing democratic processes. The action arrives as formal talks between the interim government and select opposition factions prepare to open without the inclusion of prominent opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado. Machado, currently living in exile following post-election repression, has signaled intentions to return home to assist with national recovery following severe earthquakes, despite reluctance from Washington officials who argue her return could destabilise the fragile political environment. Senatorial leadership emphasised that restoring elected governance remains vital to regional security, cross-border cooperation, and international democratic norms.

  • |

    Poland unveils Europe’s tallest Virgin Mary statue in tiny village

    A towering new statue of the Virgin Mary has been unveiled in a small Polish village, instantly becoming the tallest statue anywhere in Europe. Standing at 55.6 metres, the monument now dominates the local skyline. The devotional sculpture was consecrated by a local bishop during a ceremony held on Saturday in the rural village of Konotopie. The unveiling comes at a notable moment, as the Catholic Church’s broader influence over public life in Poland continues to decline. Despite its scale, the statue sits in a remote location, far from any of Poland’s major population centres. Its placement was reportedly requested specifically by a wealthy local couple who funded the project. During the ceremony, two helicopters were seen circling above the towering figure, which stands with arms open and a large crown atop its head. The dramatic aerial display added to the significance of the occasion. While Poland remains a predominantly Catholic country, many younger Poles living in urban areas have grown increasingly distant from the church and its traditions. The statue’s unveiling arrives against that broader backdrop of shifting religious engagement. Among those attending Saturday’s ceremony was Lech Walesa, the former Polish president who played a central role in the collapse of communism in the country. Now 82, Walesa reflected on his own life journey in comments to the Associated Press, describing his story as one that started and ended with the Virgin Mary. Local authorities are hoping the massive structure will serve a dual purpose going forward, functioning as both a significant pilgrimage site and a tourist attraction. To support that goal, the statue includes a viewing platform built directly into its base, offering visitors a chance to take in sweeping views of the surrounding countryside. The unveiling adds Poland to the small list of countries hosting record-breaking religious monuments, and local officials appear hopeful the structure will draw visitors from well beyond the immediate region in the years ahead.

  • | |

    Iran denies role in Iraq-launched attacks on Saudi…

    TEHRAN: Iran has firmly denied any involvement in projectiles launched from Iraq towards Saudi Arabia, dismissing allegations that it was behind the recent attacks on the kingdom’s energy facilities amid escalating tensions across the Middle East. An Iranian military official, speaking to state broadcaster IRIB, rejected claims linking Tehran to the attacks, saying accusations that Iran was responsible for strikes against United States interests or Saudi Arabia reflected a misunderstanding of the regional situation. The official also insisted that projectiles fired from Iraqi territory towards Saudi targets had no connection with the Islamic Republic. The denial came after Saudi Arabia announced that its air defence systems had intercepted and destroyed several drones targeting petroleum facilities in the country’s Eastern Province. Riyadh alleged that the drones were launched from Iraqi territory by armed groups aligned with Iran. In response to the attacks, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said American and Saudi forces carried out coordinated precision airstrikes against targets belonging to Iran-aligned groups in Iraq. According to the US military, the operation targeted sites linked to attacks on American personnel and Saudi energy infrastructure. Saudi Arabia described the strikes as an act of self-defence under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter, warning that it would take further military action if similar attacks were carried out by Iran-backed groups. Meanwhile, Iraq’s Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF) reported heavy casualties from the joint airstrikes, stating that at least 20 of its members were killed and 32 others injured. The group said its headquarters and military assets in several provinces, including Baghdad, Basra, Kirkuk, Karbala, Diyala, Wasit and Nineveh, sustained extensive damage. The exchange marks another sharp escalation in regional tensions, with diplomatic and military confrontations continuing to raise concerns about wider instability across the Middle East.

  • |

    Acting US Attorney General rescinds $1.8 billion initiative to clear path for Senate confirmation

    Acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche has issued an official order rescinding the controversial $1.8 billion “Anti-Weaponisation Fund”, resolving a key point of friction ahead of his confirmation vote before the Senate Judiciary Committee. The action follows extended negotiations with Republican Senators John Cornyn and Thom Tillis, who had withheld support for the nomination pending written assurances that the initiative would be permanently discarded. Although Blanche previously indicated in Congressional testimony that the department would not move forward with the program, lawmakers sought a formal rescission to prevent its potential revival. The directive also clarifies terms surrounding a related legal settlement, stipulating that provisions concerning tax audit protections apply exclusively on a retroactive basis to open claims active at the time of the agreement and do not extend to future tax filings.

  • |

    US imposes tariffs and price floors on Chinese-dominated polysilicon supply chain

    US President Donald Trump has signed a executive proclamation under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, introducing a 15 per cent tariff and minimum import price floors on products made from polysilicon. The critical raw material forms the foundational supply chain for both semiconductor chips and solar panels, a sector currently dominated by Chinese manufacturing. The executive action establishes clear import price thresholds across key processing stages. Under the new policy, raw polysilicon is set at a minimum price floor of $21 per kilogram, while polysilicon ingots and wafers are capped at a floor of $100 per kilogram. Solar cells face a minimum price of $0.22 per watt, and finished solar modules or panels carry a minimum threshold of $0.38 per watt. The order also directs the Commerce Department to establish targeted incentive programs for domestic companies investing in polysilicon production facilities. While semiconductor manufacturing accounts for roughly 2.4 per cent of global polysilicon demand, the material’s economic viability depends directly on the volume scale maintained by solar manufacturing. US solar manufacturers and polysilicon producers, including Corning, Hemlock Semiconductor, Wacker Chemie, First Solar, and Qcells, welcomed the strategic protections as essential for safeguarding domestic supply chains necessary for advanced computing and renewable energy. The new trade protections take effect on 4 December 2026, granting buyers a four-month window to adjust existing supply contracts before the higher price thresholds apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *