modi says forgives
|

Modi says he forgives students over protest slogans

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said he forgives students who shouted abusive slogans against him during last month’s nationwide demonstrations, describing them as “misled children” who should be guided instead of punished.

Speaking in a video message, Modi said the protesters had used offensive language against him and his late mother during the demonstrations. Despite that, he said he did not want young people to face legal action or social persecution, stressing that they should be shown the “right path” rather than dragged into lengthy court proceedings.

The protests emerged after controversy surrounding the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET), one of India’s largest competitive examinations. The movement gained momentum after the exam was cancelled because of a paper leak, forcing more than two million students to retake the test. What began as an online campaign for education reforms quickly developed into a nationwide protest movement, drawing thousands of students onto the streets.

The demonstrations eventually ended after the Indian government accepted several key demands, including the resignation of the education minister. Authorities also announced that criminal cases against protesters would not be pursued.

However, reports indicate that police in several states later registered cases against hundreds of demonstrators, particularly those accused of clashing with security personnel or participating in protests where anti-government slogans were raised. The development has sparked criticism from opposition parties and student groups, who argue that it contradicts the government’s earlier assurances.

The protests were accompanied by clashes between demonstrators and security forces in several cities. In New Delhi, police used tear gas, baton charges and other crowd-control measures to stop protesters attempting to march towards parliament.

Some student activists have also alleged that participants, particularly female protesters, became targets of online harassment and threats on social media following the demonstrations. Rights advocates have expressed concern over the growing hostility directed at student activists during the protest movement.

The opposition has intensified pressure on the government, demanding accountability for the police response to the demonstrations. Critics have also questioned the continued registration of cases against protesters despite earlier commitments to withdraw legal action.

Meanwhile, the Indian government has introduced legislation aimed at strengthening laws against examination fraud. The proposed bill seeks tougher penalties, including longer prison terms and heavier fines, for those involved in examination paper leaks.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Cristiano Ronaldo marries Georgina after 8-year love story

    Cascais, Portugal: Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and his longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez have officially turned nearly a decade of love into marriage, marking a new chapter in one of the world’s most closely followed celebrity relationships. The 41-year-old Portuguese football icon and 32-year-old Spanish-Argentine model tied the knot in a private civil ceremony in Cascais, Portugal, on August 11, with their five children reportedly present for the intimate occasion. The couple confirmed the news through a simple but powerful social media post. Ronaldo shared a photograph showing the couple’s hands together, with their wedding bands clearly visible, alongside the caption “C❤️G”. The understated announcement quickly sent fans around the world into celebration mode. The wedding comes exactly one year after Rodríguez announced their engagement in August 2025, displaying her striking oval-shaped diamond ring and declaring that she would say “yes” to Ronaldo in this life and every life. Their love story began in 2016, when Rodríguez was working as a sales assistant at a Gucci store in Madrid. Their relationship soon grew beyond the fashion world, and they made their first major public appearance together at the Best FIFA Football Awards in Zurich in January 2017. Over the years, the pair built a family life away from Ronaldo’s demanding football career. They share five children: twins Eva Maria and Mateo, daughters Alana and Bella, and Ronaldo’s eldest son, Cristiano Jr. Their journey has also included profound personal hardship. In 2022, the couple announced the heartbreaking death of Bella’s twin brother, Ángel, shortly after his birth. The tragedy became one of the most difficult moments of their relationship, with the couple supporting each other through the loss. Now, after years of shared memories, family milestones and public attention, Ronaldo and Rodríguez have officially become husband and wife. For fans who have followed their journey since its early days, the wedding represents the long-awaited finale to a love story that began quietly in a Madrid fashion store and eventually captured global attention.

  • | |

    Pakistan exempted from US visa bond requirement 

      Pakistanis have been exempted from the United States’ proposed US$20,000 visa bond requirement, after the country was left out of the list covered by the new policy. The United States has officially made its 2025 Visa Bond Pilot Program a permanent measure. However, Pakistan is not included among the countries subject to the financial guarantee requirement. Under the program, travelers from certain countries may be required to pay a visa bond of up to US$20,000 before entering the United States. The bond serves as a financial guarantee to ensure visitors comply with the terms of their visas, including departing the country before their authorized stay expires. According to the latest list released by US authorities, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, and India are not among the countries included in the permanent visa bond program. As a result, Pakistani applicants seeking US visas will not be required to deposit the US$20,000 financial guarantee under this policy. The visa bond initiative was originally introduced as a pilot program in 2025 to reduce visa overstays and encourage compliance with US immigration laws. The program allows the US government to impose a refundable financial bond on visitors from selected countries that have high rates of visa overstays or other immigration concerns. With the program now becoming permanent, only nationals of the countries designated by the US government will be subject to the bond requirement. Since Pakistan has not been placed on that list, Pakistani travelers applying for US visas will continue to follow the standard visa application process without the additional financial bond. The decision is expected to provide relief to many Pakistani citizens planning to visit the United States for tourism, business, education, or family-related purposes, as the proposed bond could have posed a significant financial burden on applicants. While the visa bond requirement does not apply to Pakistan, all applicants must still meet the existing US visa eligibility criteria, including submitting the required documentation, attending a visa interview when necessary, and satisfying immigration officers that they intend to comply with the conditions of their visa.

  • |

    Zelensky alleges Russia shared satellite intelligence with Iran to target US bases

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has accused Russia of helping Iran identify US military positions in the Gulf by providing satellite intelligence, adding another layer of tension to the already strained relationship between Moscow, Tehran, and Kyiv. His remarks come as Ukraine and Iran exchange fresh accusations following an attack on an Iranian vessel in the Caspian Sea. In a statement shared on social media, Zelensky claimed that Ukraine had observed increased Russian satellite monitoring of Gulf countries and American military installations since the beginning of July. According to him, the satellite images were later used by Iran, with a noticeable connection between the timing of the surveillance and Iranian attacks. He alleged that the imagery was gathered before strikes to assist with planning and then again afterward to evaluate the extent of the damage. While Zelensky did not release evidence to support the claim, he insisted the pattern was clear and significant. The allegations surfaced shortly after Ukraine announced a series of long range military operations in the Caspian Sea. Zelensky said Ukrainian forces had successfully struck vessels carrying military cargo linked to Iran as well as a warship. Ukrainian intelligence later stated that drones had targeted sanctioned cargo ships allegedly involved in transporting military equipment between Iran and Russia. The operation marked one of Kyiv’s most direct actions against assets connected to Tehran and reflected Ukraine’s growing willingness to challenge countries it believes are supporting Russia’s war effort. Iran reacted strongly to the reported strikes. The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned Ukraine’s senior diplomat in Tehran to protest what it described as a hostile and unlawful attack. Iranian officials said one sailor was killed and several others were injured when a commercial vessel exploded following the strike. The ministry rejected any suggestion that Iran had played a role in the war between Russia and Ukraine and insisted the country had remained outside the conflict. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also condemned the attack, describing it as a serious violation of the United Nations Charter. He claimed the operation had been carried out to advance Israeli interests and accused Kyiv of trying to draw Europe deeper into the regional conflict. Araghchi said he had discussed the matter with European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, warning that Iran would not allow the incident to pass without a response. Zelensky’s latest accusations regarding Russian support for Iran are not entirely new. Earlier reports citing US officials claimed that Moscow had shared intelligence with Tehran about American military positions in the Middle East during the recent conflict involving Iran and the United States. Those reports also suggested that China could have played a supporting role, although no public evidence has confirmed those claims. The issue has also created mixed messages within the US government. During a congressional hearing, US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth acknowledged that Russia and China were helping Iran in different ways. He said there was clear cooperation among American rivals but declined to discuss the full extent of that support, arguing that the details should remain classified for security reasons. Only days later, however, President Donald Trump publicly disagreed with that assessment. Writing on his Truth Social platform, Trump said he did not believe Russia or China had assisted Iran. He stated that both Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping had assured him they were not involved in supporting Iranian military operations. Despite those conflicting views, Zelensky maintained that Russian satellite activity offered direct evidence of cooperation. He specifically pointed to satellite surveillance conducted on July 19 and 20, claiming Russian satellites closely monitored four air bases used by the United States in Bahrain, Jordan, and Kuwait. According to the Ukrainian leader, the timing of those observations raised serious concerns about Russia’s role in helping Iran monitor American military assets in the region.

  • | |

    Committee formed to investigate HIV Cases at Landh…

      The authorities have established an inquiry committee to investigate the recent HIV cases reported at the Social Security Hospital in Landhi, Karachi. The decision comes after concerns were raised following the confirmation of 10 HIV cases at the hospital, prompting officials to initiate a detailed investigation into the matter. According to an official notification, a five-member inquiry committee has been constituted under the leadership of Chief Medical Officer Dr. Naila Zaheer. The committee has been assigned the responsibility of conducting a comprehensive investigation into the reported HIV cases and identifying any possible shortcomings in hospital practices that may have contributed to the situation. As part of its mandate, the committee will verify the total number of HIV cases reported at the hospital. It will also confirm the identities of the affected patients and examine laboratory reports to ensure the accuracy of the diagnoses. This verification process is considered essential to establish the exact scope of the issue before any conclusions are drawn. The inquiry will also focus on identifying the possible sources of HIV transmission. Investigators will carefully review medical procedures carried out at the hospital, particularly the use of injections and disposable syringes. The committee will examine whether proper infection prevention and control protocols were followed and whether single-use syringes and other disposable medical equipment were used appropriately. Any evidence of negligence or unsafe medical practices will be documented as part of the investigation. In addition, the committee has been directed to investigate the procurement, availability, and utilization of medicines and disposable medical supplies within the hospital. This includes reviewing purchasing procedures, stock management, and the distribution of medical equipment to determine whether any irregularities or shortages may have affected patient safety. The notification further states that the committee will compile complete records of the affected children and their parents. This data collection aims to provide a clearer understanding of the circumstances surrounding each reported case and assist in determining whether there are any common factors linking the infections. The information gathered will also help health authorities provide appropriate medical care and follow-up support to the affected families. Another important responsibility assigned to the committee is identifying any individuals or departments found responsible for lapses in hospital procedures, if such lapses are confirmed during the inquiry. The final report will include recommendations aimed at improving hospital management, strengthening infection control measures, enhancing patient safety, and preventing similar incidents in the future. The formation of the inquiry committee reflects the authorities’ effort to thoroughly investigate the reported HIV cases and ensure transparency in the process. Health officials are expected to review the committee’s findings once the investigation is completed and take tappropriate action based on its recommendations. It is worth noting that 10 HIV cases have been reported at the Social Security Hospital in Landhi, leading to growing public concern and the launch of this formal investigation. The outcome of the inquiry will play an important role in determining the cause of the reported infections and in reinforcing public confidence in healthcare services by ensuring accountability and improved safety standards.

  • | |

    US expands import blacklist over Chinese forced la…

    The United States has banned imports from 43 additional Chinese companies over alleged human rights abuses and forced labour involving Uyghurs and other minority groups in the Xinjiang region. The decision marks the largest single expansion of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act Entity List since its enactment in December 2021, bringing the total number of restricted entities from 144 to 187. Newly blacklisted firms span electronics, lithium, metals, pharmaceuticals, and food sectors, including major capacitor manufacturer Hunan Aihua Group and exporter Chacha Food Co, which US officials accuse of sourcing materials or recruiting personnel through state-backed forced labour programmes. While US Customs and Border Protection has intercepted more than 24,300 shipments valued at nearly $1 billion under the law, the Chinese embassy in Washington has rejected the allegations, maintaining that workers of all ethnic groups in Xinjiang freely choose their employment and receive equal remuneration.

  • |

    Trump link to Balogun decision triggers FIFA backlash

    ZURICH: A fresh controversy has erupted around the 2026 FIFA World Cup after Norway’s Football Federation announced it is considering filing a formal complaint with FIFA’s Ethics Committee over the governing body’s decision to reverse the automatic suspension of United States forward Folarin Balogun. The dispute centers on FIFA’s decision to suspend Balogun’s one-match ban for 12 months, allowing him to feature in the United States’ Round of 16 clash against Belgium despite receiving a straight red card in an earlier match against Bosnia and Herzegovina. Under FIFA regulations, the dismissal would normally have ruled the striker out of the knockout fixture. However, the suspension was put on hold, a move that has drawn criticism from several football associations and intensified debate over the integrity of disciplinary procedures. According to international media reports, the decision followed reported intervention by US President Donald Trump, a claim that has fueled accusations of political influence in football governance. Although Balogun was cleared to play, the decision ultimately had little impact on the result, with Belgium defeating the United States 4-1 to advance to the quarter-finals. Norwegian Football Federation President Lise Klaveness said the organization is now examining whether to expand an existing ethics complaint against FIFA by including the Balogun case. Klaveness indicated that the issue could be linked with an earlier complaint concerning FIFA’s decision to award Trump a symbolic “Peace Prize,” arguing that both matters raise broader questions about governance, transparency and independence within world football. The controversy has also attracted criticism from Belgium’s Football Federation and European football governing body UEFA, both of which reportedly expressed serious reservations over FIFA’s handling of the disciplinary process. Belgium had sought clarification regarding the decision to allow Balogun to participate, but FIFA reportedly dismissed the request as inadmissible, further adding to frustration among European football officials. The latest dispute has reignited debate over whether external political influence should have any role in decisions affecting international competitions. While FIFA has not publicly addressed the allegations of political pressure, the governing body maintains that its disciplinary and appeals processes operate under established legal frameworks. The controversy comes at a sensitive time for FIFA following the conclusion of the expanded 2026 World Cup, with calls growing for greater transparency in disciplinary decisions involving players and national teams. If Norway proceeds with its complaint, FIFA’s Ethics Committee could face renewed scrutiny over its governance standards and decision-making process, potentially prolonging one of the tournament’s most talked-about off-field controversies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *