pmln mna malik
| |

PML-N MNA Malik Iqbal Channar dies after prolonged…

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Member of the National Assembly Malik Muhammad Iqbal Channar passed away after battling a prolonged illness, his family confirmed on Saturday. His death has been met with grief across political circles, with leaders and supporters paying tribute to his decades of public and political service.

According to his family, Malik Iqbal Channar had been ill for several weeks. During his illness, he suffered a brain haemorrhage and was admitted to hospital, where doctors performed surgery in an effort to save his life. Despite medical treatment, he could not recover and passed away.

Malik Iqbal Channar was serving as a member of the National Assembly from the NA-168 Bahawalpur constituency. He was considered a senior politician in the region and remained closely associated with the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz for many years.

Throughout his political career, Channar actively participated in public welfare initiatives and maintained close contact with his constituents. He was known within the party as a loyal worker and a committed representative who remained dedicated to serving the people.

Following the news of his death, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed profound sorrow and extended his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.

In his condolence message, the prime minister praised the late lawmaker’s political, social and public contributions. He said Malik Iqbal Channar devoted his life to serving the people and strengthening the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz through his commitment and hard work.

Shehbaz Sharif said the country had lost a sincere public representative whose services would be remembered with respect. He described Channar as a loyal and ideological worker of the PML-N and a trusted companion of party president Nawaz Sharif.

The prime minister also recalled his personal association with the late parliamentarian. He said he had the opportunity to know Malik Iqbal Channar personally and work alongside him on several occasions during his tenure in the Punjab government.

He added that Channar’s loyalty, dedication and commitment to both the party and the people would always be remembered. The prime minister prayed for the departed soul and asked Allah Almighty to grant patience and strength to his family during this difficult time.

The passing of Malik Iqbal Channar marks the end of a long political career spent in public service. His death has created a sense of loss among party workers, political colleagues and residents of Bahawalpur, many of whom remembered him as a dedicated leader who remained connected to his constituency throughout his time in office.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Forensic probe advances Momina Iqbal case

    New developments have been reported in the ongoing case involving actor Momina Iqbal and PML-N lawmaker Saqib Chadhar. Momina recently shared a post on social media suggesting that forensic evidence has strengthened her case. She described the latest progress as another step toward justice. The case is being investigated by the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA). It involves allegations of cyber harassment, intimidation and threats. Momina had approached the authorities after accusing Saqib Chadhar and his wife, Samira Chadhar, of harassment and other alleged offences. During the latest court proceedings, the investigation officer informed the Lahore sessions court that the investigation involving Saqib Chadhar had been completed. The officer also told the court that Samira Chadhar had submitted her mobile phone to the NCCIA. The device is reportedly being examined as part of the forensic investigation. Momina’s lawyer, Adnan Ahsan, asked the court to withdraw the interim bail granted to the accused. He argued that allowing them to remain free could pose a security concern for the actor. The investigation has focused heavily on digital evidence. Mobile phones and other electronic material have been examined as authorities work to establish the facts surrounding the allegations. The dispute became a legal matter after Momina accused the couple of harassment and threats. The allegations reportedly include cyber harassment, stalking, intimidation and blackmail. The accused have denied the allegations and obtained interim pre-arrest bail while the legal proceedings continue. Momina’s latest statement has drawn attention to the progress of the investigation. However, her reference to the accused being “proven guilty” reflects her position and does not constitute a final judicial verdict. The court will ultimately determine the legal status of the allegations after considering the investigation and evidence presented before it. The forensic examination of digital devices remains an important part of the case. Investigators are expected to assess the material recovered during the probe before the matter proceeds further.

  • |

    Lucas Digne returns to PSG in three-year deal

    Paris Saint-Germain have completed the signing of France international left-back Lucas Digne from Aston Villa, bringing the experienced defender back to the club more than a decade after his first spell in Paris. The 33-year-old has signed a three-year contract with the French champions. PSG activated Digne’s release clause, with reports putting the transfer fee at around £8.5 million ($11.5m). Digne’s return marks an intriguing new chapter in a career that has taken him across some of Europe’s biggest clubs. He initially joined PSG in 2013 and made 44 appearances before moving on. He subsequently spent time at Roma, Barcelona and Everton before establishing himself as an important figure at Aston Villa. His spell in England ended on a high note. Digne played a significant role in Villa’s successful 2025-26 campaign, helping the club lift the Europa League under manager Unai Emery. The move also comes after an impressive international period. Digne earned his place as France’s preferred left-back during the knockout stages of the 2026 World Cup and now arrives in Paris with 64 international caps to his name. For Digne, the transfer is more than simply another move. Returning to his hometown club gives him an opportunity to finish another chapter of his career at a club that has transformed dramatically since his first departure. “I am very honoured to be returning to Paris Saint-Germain,” Digne said, adding that he was impressed by the club’s development and eager to bring his experience to the team. At PSG, Digne is expected to provide experienced competition and cover for first-choice left-back Nuno Mendes. His versatility, international experience and familiarity with the club could make him a valuable squad player. The storyline could become even more compelling this week, with PSG scheduled to face Aston Villa in the UEFA Super Cup on August 12. Digne could potentially make his PSG return against his former side. The reunion promises an unusual twist: Digne could soon find himself lining up against the club he has only just left.

  • | | |

    Syria sentences former President Bashar al-Assad to death

    A Syrian court has sentenced former President Bashar al-Assad to death over allegations of premeditated and deliberate killings. The sentence was issued in absentia. Assad was not present in court when the ruling was announced. The court also sentenced Atef Najib, a former security official who served during Assad’s rule, to death. According to the court, the charges against Assad relate to allegations of killings that were deliberately planned and carried out. The ruling marks a major development in the legal proceedings against the former Syrian president. Assad was removed from power before the court issued the sentence. The court proceeded with the case in his absence. It reached its decision based on the charges brought against him. Atef Najib was also named in the proceedings. He served as a security official during the Assad era and was handed the same punishment. The court described the alleged crimes as involving premeditation and deliberate killing. These allegations formed the basis of the death sentences. The development comes amid continued legal and political efforts concerning officials associated with the former Syrian government. The ruling against Assad could become an important part of the legal record surrounding his years in power. The former president has faced allegations related to serious abuses during the conflict in Syria. The latest court decision focuses specifically on charges of premeditated and deliberate murder. The sentence was announced without Assad appearing before the court. The court also issued its decision against Najib in connection with the same proceedings. Further legal developments could determine how the sentences are handled and whether additional proceedings follow. According to the reported ruling, the former Syrian leader was convicted on charges described as war crimes and crimes against humanity. The decision marks a significant development in legal proceedings against senior figures from Assad’s former government. Assad ruled Syria for nearly 24 years after succeeding his father, Hafez al-Assad, in 2000. His government faced years of armed opposition after protests erupted across the country in 2011. The conflict developed into a prolonged civil war involving Syrian government forces, opposition groups and several foreign powers. The war caused widespread destruction and a major humanitarian crisis. Millions of Syrians were forced to leave their homes, while large numbers sought refuge in neighbouring countries and beyond. Assad remained in power throughout most of the conflict. His government was accused by international organisations and rights groups of carrying out serious abuses against civilians. The former government repeatedly rejected many of the allegations. Assad’s rule eventually came to an end in December 2024. Opposition-led forces advanced towards Damascus, forcing him to leave the country with members of his family. He subsequently travelled to Moscow, where Russia provided him with protection. The latest verdict is the first death sentence against Assad under Syria’s transitional authorities. The new authorities have begun legal proceedings against officials and figures associated with the former government. Some defendants have appeared before the courts in person, while proceedings against others have been conducted in absentia. The case against Assad is therefore being closely watched as part of broader efforts to address alleged crimes committed during the conflict. The death sentence also represents a dramatic reversal for a leader who remained at the centre of Syrian politics for decades.

  • |

    AI errors hit report behind Australia’s under-16 ban

    A government-commissioned report that helped support Australia’s plan to restrict social media access for children under 16 has come under scrutiny after several inaccurate and apparently fabricated academic references were identified. The report, produced as part of a $3.48 million government-funded trial examining age-assurance technologies, was prepared by the Age Check Certification Scheme (ACCS). The organisation has acknowledged that ChatGPT was used to rewrite parts of the document after initially denying that artificial intelligence had been involved. An analysis of the report found six problematic citations in a chapter examining emerging technologies. Some of the digital object identifiers, or DOIs, reportedly directed readers to research papers that did not exist. Other references contained combinations of authors, journals and publication dates that could not be verified in academic records. In another case, a DOI reportedly led to a genuine research paper, but the paper did not support the claim attributed to it in the report. The controversy intensified after ACCS was questioned about the use of artificial intelligence. A spokesperson initially said no AI had been used in producing the report. The organisation later acknowledged that ChatGPT metadata was present in four links across two sections of the document. ACCS maintained that the metadata effectively disclosed the use of the tool and said the references had been manually checked. However, efforts to correct the disputed citations reportedly resulted in further inconsistencies. One example involved a research paper that an ACCS source said had been accessed in March 2025. According to the paper’s lead author, however, the research was not published until June 2025, raising additional questions about the accuracy of the report’s references. The report has attracted attention because it was used in the policy process surrounding Australia’s planned restrictions on social media for under-16s. Communications Minister Anika Wells had previously praised the report for identifying potential approaches to age verification. The minister’s department told a Senate inquiry that it had discussed the citation problems with ACCS. However, the department was reportedly informed about faulty links rather than allegations that some references had been fabricated. Australian National University academic Christian Downie warned that unreliable references can have serious consequences regardless of whether they were generated by AI or resulted from human error. He said inaccurate citations could contribute to poor policymaking and weaken public confidence in government-commissioned research. Independent Senator Fatima Payman also compared the controversy with a separate case involving Deloitte, which refunded part of a $440,000 government contract after problems were identified with AI-generated references.

  • Thailand Cuts Diesel and Gasohol Prices for Songkran

    BANGKOK — Fuel supplies will remain adequate throughout the Songkran holiday period, while retail oil prices were set to fall from Saturday after the Oil Fuel Fund Executive Committee approved cuts to levy rates, Energy Minister Akanat Promphan announced. Refining Margins to Be Lowered, Diesel Set to Drop by 2.14 Baht Speaking on Saturday, Akanat […]

  • | |

    Pakistan goods transport alliance announces nation…

      The Pakistan Goods Transport Alliance has announced a nationwide strike beginning on August 8, warning that transport operations across the country may be significantly disrupted if the government fails to address its key demands. The announcement was made by the alliance’s president, Malik Shehzad Awan, who criticized recent government policies affecting the transport sector and called for immediate corrective measures. Speaking to the media, Malik Shehzad Awan said that transporters are facing increasing financial pressure due to the frequent fluctuations in petroleum prices. He argued that the current system of revising fuel prices on a daily basis has created uncertainty for transport businesses, making it difficult for operators to estimate transportation costs, negotiate freight rates, and manage their daily operations effectively. The alliance has demanded that the government abandon the practice of daily fuel price adjustments and instead adopt a monthly pricing mechanism for petroleum products. According to Awan, fixing fuel prices on a monthly basis would provide greater stability to the transport industry, allowing businesses to plan expenses more efficiently and reducing the uncertainty caused by continuous price changes. He maintained that predictable fuel costs are essential for sustaining commercial transport services and protecting transport operators from unexpected financial losses. In addition to seeking changes in the fuel pricing policy, the alliance has also demanded the resignation of Federal Minister for Petroleum Ali Pervaiz Malik. Malik Shehzad Awan expressed dissatisfaction with the government’s handling of issues related to the petroleum sector, arguing that the concerns of transporters have not been adequately addressed. He claimed that recent policies have increased operational costs and placed an unnecessary burden on transport businesses across Pakistan. Another major demand put forward by the Pakistan Goods Transport Alliance concerns the withholding tax imposed on transport-related transactions. The alliance has urged the government to reduce the withholding tax rate from 7 percent to 2 percent, arguing that the current tax structure is excessive and has significantly increased the financial burden on transport operators. According to the alliance, lowering the tax rate would provide much-needed relief to the industry and improve the financial sustainability of transport businesses, particularly small and medium-sized operators. The transport sector plays a critical role in Pakistan’s economy, serving as the backbone of the country’s supply chain by moving goods between manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and consumers. A nationwide strike by transporters could disrupt the movement of essential commodities, industrial raw materials, agricultural products, and imported goods, potentially affecting businesses and consumers alike if the dispute remains unresolved. The alliance has called on the federal government to engage in meaningful dialogue with transport representatives before the scheduled strike date. Its leadership has urged policymakers to reconsider the current fuel pricing mechanism and taxation policies in order to prevent disruption to trade and commercial activities. The transporters maintain that their demands are aimed at ensuring the long-term sustainability of the sector rather than creating difficulties for the public. If negotiations do not produce a satisfactory outcome, the Pakistan Goods Transport Alliance has indicated that transporters across the country will proceed with the nationwide strike on August 8. The proposed shutdown is expected to affect freight services on major highways and commercial routes, potentially disrupting the supply of goods and increasing pressure on businesses dependent on road transport. The alliance has expressed hope that the government will address its concerns before the strike begins, allowing transport operations to continue without interruption.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *