pti changes venue
| |

PTI changes venue for August 5 rally in Peshawar

Peshawar: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has changed the venue for its August 5 public rally, with party leaders announcing that the gathering will now take place at an open ground near the Peshawar Motorway instead of the previously planned location.

The decision was made during a PTI parliamentary party meeting held at the Chief Minister’s House in Peshawar. The meeting was chaired by Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sualeh Afridi and attended by members of the National Assembly and the Provincial Assembly.

Addressing the meeting, Afridi said preparations for the rally were in full swing and responsibilities had been assigned to party lawmakers to ensure the event’s success. He described the August 5 rally as a “semi-final” and a decisive gathering, saying the party would present its future political strategy to the public.

According to the chief minister, the venue was shifted to an open ground near the Peshawar Motorway to improve public access and accommodate a larger number of participants.

Afridi also reviewed the party’s political efforts since October 15, 2025, stating that PTI had pursued constitutional and legal avenues to resolve political issues through dialogue. He said the party leadership had sought meetings with PTI founder Imran Khan through legal channels, including approaching the Islamabad High Court and the Supreme Court, but those efforts had not produced the desired outcome.

He reiterated that PTI remained committed to peaceful political activity and maintained that peaceful protest was the party’s final constitutional option. Afridi also called for better access to Imran Khan by his family, sisters, and personal doctors, while urging authorities to ensure he receives appropriate medical care.

The meeting, however, was not without internal disagreements. According to party sources, several lawmakers expressed concerns over the timing of the rally and suggested holding a workers’ convention before launching the movement. Some members argued that the main protest should be organized in Punjab rather than Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to increase political pressure on the federal government.

The reported differences led to a heated exchange during the meeting, with some dissatisfied lawmakers leaving before it concluded. Party sources said the chief minister assured members that their concerns would be addressed.

The August 5 rally is expected to be one of PTI’s most significant political events in recent months as the party seeks to outline its next phase of political action.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Sahibzada Farhan overtakes Abhishek Sharma to claim no. 2 in ICC T20I rankings

    Pakistan’s opening batter Sahibzada Farhan has moved up to second place in the newest ICC Men’s T20I batting rankings, released on Wednesday. He has pushed past India’s Abhishek Sharma in the process. Farhan, who is 30 years old, now holds 848 rating points. That puts him just ahead of Abhishek, who slipped down to third place with 819 points. Abhishek’s drop followed a difficult stretch of form. He struggled during recent tours to Ireland, England, and Zimbabwe, and those low scores clearly took a toll on his ranking. At the very top, India’s Ishan Kishan remains untouched. He continues to hold the No. 1 spot with 910 rating points. Outside of the shakeup between Farhan and Abhishek, the rest of the top five batters stayed largely the same, with no major shifts to report. A little further down the list, India’s Tilak Varma made progress too, climbing two places to sit sixth overall. Meanwhile, England saw a small dip, as both Harry Brook and Jos Buttler each fell one spot. South Africa’s Dewald Brevis had reason to celebrate, breaking into the top 10 for the first time after advancing one position to land at 10th. Perhaps the most eye-catching move, though, belongs to a teenager. Fifteen-year-old Vaibhav Sooryavanshi jumped an astonishing 230 places, landing at 48th with 536 points. That leap comes right after he was named player of the series during Zimbabwe’s tour, a clear sign of his rapid rise in the format. Turning to the bowlers, Afghanistan’s Rashid Khan remains comfortably at the top of the T20I bowling charts. Pakistan’s Abrar Ahmed continues to hold second place, sitting on 736 points, while England’s Adil Rashid rounds out the top three. Further down the bowling table, Mohammad Nawaz stayed steady at 10th with 658 points. Fast bowler Salman Mirza also made a small gain, moving up one place to 15th. Not everyone rose, though. India’s Varun Chakaravarthy dropped three spots and fell out of the top 10 entirely. On the flip side, Australia’s Nathan Ellis had a good update, climbing into the top five bowlers with 675 rating points to his name.

  • |

    Japan earthquake disrupts auto and chip production as death toll rises to 34

    A powerful earthquake that struck Japan’s Kumamoto region has killed at least 34 people and disrupted major manufacturing operations, exposing the continued vulnerability of the country’s industrial supply chains. The 7.1 magnitude quake damaged roads, interrupted essential services and forced several automobile and semiconductor companies to suspend production, raising concerns about delays across global supply networks. The earthquake struck on Tuesday, causing widespread destruction in southern Japan. Thousands of households were left without basic utilities while damaged roads and transport links made it difficult for businesses to continue normal operations. Kumamoto is one of Japan’s most important manufacturing regions and plays a key role in producing vehicles, auto parts and semiconductors used around the world. Toyota has temporarily suspended production at three factories in Fukuoka until August 5 because of concerns about employee safety and disruptions affecting suppliers and transport companies. The company has also decided to halt operations at one of its plants in Aichi, located more than 600 kilometres from the disaster zone, showing how shortages of essential components can quickly affect factories far from the earthquake’s epicentre. One of Toyota’s major suppliers, Aisin, also suffered disruptions at its factory near the hardest hit area. The company manufactures engines, doors and other vehicle parts for Toyota, Nissan and Daihatsu. Aisin said it plans to restart production gradually after confirming that facilities are safe and product quality can be maintained. However, it has not announced when full operations will resume. Trucks carrying supplies, including portable toilets, were seen entering the factory as recovery work continued. Local businesses reported that water services had been interrupted although electricity remained available. The latest disaster has revived memories of the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake, which caused severe damage to the same Aisin plant and forced Toyota to suspend production across Japan because of shortages of a critical door component. Industry officials said smaller suppliers further down the supply chain may also have been affected this time, increasing the risk of continued production delays. Auto parts manufacturer Denso said one of its suppliers had already reported damage while several others were still assessing conditions. Nissan has suspended some production at its two vehicle plants in Kyushu because of delays in receiving parts. Mitsubishi Motors has also halted certain production lines at its factory in Okayama as the effects of the earthquake continue to spread through the manufacturing sector. Kumamoto has also become one of Japan’s leading centres for semiconductor production in recent years. The region is often referred to as the country’s Silicon Valley because of its concentration of advanced chip manufacturers. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, the world’s largest contract chipmaker, evacuated workers from its Kumamoto plant immediately after the earthquake. The company later confirmed that operations had started to resume within a few hours. Other semiconductor companies are expected to take longer to recover. Renesas said damage at one of its facilities included fallen ceiling panels, cracked walls and water leaks. The company plans to restart production in stages beginning on August 5. Tokyo Electron announced that it expects to resume production next week, while Sony said efforts are continuing to restore operations at its semiconductor factory in Kumamoto. Although the number of deaths is lower than the more than 260 people killed in the 2016 earthquake, this disaster has still caused significant human and economic losses. Nearly half of the fatalities occurred inside commercial buildings. Nine people died when severe structural damage struck a Nippon Paper Industries mill near the epicentre. Another seven people lost their lives at an Aeon shopping mall where authorities believe a gas explosion occurred more than an hour after the initial earthquake. The disaster has once again highlighted the challenge Japan faces in protecting both its population and its globally important manufacturing industry from natural disasters.

  • | |

    Lahore police bar women from stations after sunset

    Lahore Police have directed that no woman should remain at any police station after sunset, introducing a new measure that officials say is aimed at ensuring the safety and dignity of women. The directive was issued by Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Operations Muhammad Faisal Kamran during a crime review meeting with officers of the City Division. He instructed police personnel to treat women with respect and ensure that female complainants as well as women taken into custody are not kept at police stations after Maghrib. According to the directive, police officers must adopt procedures that protect women’s privacy and dignity while dealing with complaints or investigations. The decision comes in the wake of growing concerns over crimes against women and follows the arrest of a Lahore police Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman with a mental health condition. According to police, the woman had left her home and did not return for several hours. Her family later learned from a local resident that a plain-clothes police officer had taken her away on a motorcycle. The victim later alleged that the officer took her to another location and sexually assaulted her. Following the allegations, police registered a case against the accused officer. DIG Investigation Syed Zeeshan Raza ordered an immediate and transparent investigation, directing investigators to proceed strictly on merit. The incident also led to disciplinary action within the police department, with 78 police officials reportedly suspended as authorities launched an internal review of the case. While police officials say the new directive is intended to safeguard women, some critics argue that restricting women’s presence at police stations does not address the root problem. They contend that law enforcement agencies should instead focus on ensuring police stations remain safe and accessible for women at all hours.

  • | |

    Victory Monument unveiled in Islamabad

    ISLAMABAD: President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday inaugurated a 220-foot-high Victory Monument in Islamabad, commemorating what officials described as Pakistan’s historic victory in the Battle of Haq. The inauguration ceremony brought together the country’s civil and military leadership, including Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, the Senate chairman, National Assembly speaker, federal ministers, service chiefs and Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz. Senior diplomats and representatives of the armed forces, civil armed forces and police from all provinces, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan also attended. The ceremony opened with the recitation of the Holy Quran, followed by a presentation highlighting the construction and significance of the monument. President Zardari and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif subsequently unveiled the monument. Addressing the gathering, President Zardari praised Pakistan’s armed forces for their role in the country’s military success and described the victory as a lasting symbol of the sacrifices made by martyrs and armed forces personnel. He said Pakistan remained committed to peace and that the international community recognized its contribution to regional stability. The president stressed that Pakistan did not seek confrontation and referred to his family’s historical connection with the Kashmir cause. He also highlighted Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts in promoting peace, including its role in facilitating the Iran-US ceasefire. Speaking about Gaza, he condemned the ongoing bloodshed and reaffirmed Pakistan’s support for the Palestinian people. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, in his address, said Pakistan desired peace rather than conflict but warned that its peaceful approach should never be interpreted as weakness. He said Pakistan had emerged as an important force for stability in the region and would continue working to prevent further conflicts. The premier also spoke about the Mecca Defence Agreement and Turkey’s participation in the arrangement, describing it as an important development for peace and security in the Middle East. He reiterated Pakistan’s support for Palestinian rights and said the country’s position on Kashmir remained firm. Shehbaz Sharif urged the Afghan authorities to prevent terrorist elements from using Afghan territory against Pakistan. He also expressed appreciation for US President Donald Trump’s role in helping secure a ceasefire between Pakistan and India, saying the development had helped save millions of lives and expressing hope for stronger Pakistan-US relations. The prime minister called for national unity, saying differences should not turn into hostility and warning that no hostile force should underestimate Pakistan’s resolve. As part of the Independence Day celebrations, the national flag was hoisted at the monument shortly after midnight on August 14. The 220-foot flag was raised in the presence of senior civilian and military leaders, adding a symbolic dimension to the ceremony. At the conclusion of the event, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir presented President Zardari with a commemorative model of the Victory Monument. The monument is expected to serve as a prominent national symbol, reflecting Pakistan’s military history, the sacrifices of its armed forces and the country’s stated commitment to national unity, sovereignty and peace.

  • | |

    PML-N vows to deliver on Kashmir promises

    Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader and Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah said the time has come to fulfill the commitments made to the people of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), following the party’s strong performance in the region’s elections. Addressing an election rally in Haveli, Rana Sanaullah said the people of AJK had already expressed their confidence in PML-N through their vote. He stated that the party had secured 24 seats in the elections, surpassing the 23-seat threshold required to form the government in the Legislative Assembly. He described the electoral process as one of the fairest and most transparent in AJK’s history, saying voters had placed their trust in former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and the party’s development agenda. According to him, PML-N now carries the responsibility of honoring every promise made during the election campaign. Rana Sanaullah said AJK witnessed significant progress whenever PML-N governed both Pakistan and the region. He pledged that the party would launch a new phase of development if it formed the next government, adding that projects similar to those introduced in Punjab would also be implemented across AJK to improve infrastructure, public services, and economic opportunities. He said the party remains committed to accelerating development, strengthening institutions, and improving the quality of life for the people of Kashmir. Meanwhile, Federal Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan Amir Muqam also addressed the gathering and praised the resilience of residents living along the Line of Control (LoC). He said the people of the border areas have made extraordinary sacrifices in defending the country and deserve continued recognition and support. Amir Muqam said the PML-N leadership has consistently stood with the people of Kashmir and remains committed to safeguarding their interests while pursuing policies aimed at development, stability, and prosperity in the region.

  • | | |

    Pakistan ‘not a hard state’, says DG I…

    Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said on Friday that Pakistan cannot yet be described as a “hard state,” stressing that the country’s laws must apply equally to all citizens without discrimination or elitism. Speaking at a press conference focused on the security situation in Balochistan, the military spokesperson said the briefing aimed to address concerns about the province and explain the broader national security landscape. He clarified that the term “hard state” does not refer to military rule but to a system where the rule of law is upheld uniformly, every citizen is treated equally, and all issues are resolved through legal and constitutional mechanisms. The DG ISPR urged citizens to balance demands for rights with their constitutional responsibilities. Referring to Article 5 of the Constitution, he said loyalty to the state and obedience to the Constitution and the law are fundamental obligations of every Pakistani. He added that national identity should take precedence over provincial or ethnic affiliations, emphasizing that every citizen’s foremost identity should be Pakistani. Highlighting the country’s counterterrorism efforts, Lt Gen Chaudhry said security forces have conducted 40,348 intelligence-based operations (IBOs) across Pakistan so far this year, averaging around 194 operations daily, with a significant number taking place in Balochistan. According to the military spokesperson, security forces have eliminated 2,084 terrorists during 2026, averaging nearly 10 militants killed each day. He said 3,145 terrorist incidents have been recorded this year, while 819 people have lost their lives, including 303 Pakistan Army personnel, 194 members of law enforcement agencies, and 322 civilians. He also revealed that 28 suicide bombings have occurred this year, claiming that most of the attackers were Afghan nationals. He said Afghan citizens, along with individuals linked to Afghan security forces, were among those killed or arrested during counterterrorism operations. Comparing recent years, the DG ISPR said security forces killed 2,597 terrorists throughout 2025, while the total for 2026 has already reached 2,084. He noted that the effectiveness of counterterrorism operations has improved over time, with security forces now inflicting heavier losses on militant groups. Responding to questions about the increase in terrorist incidents, Lt Gen Chaudhry said militant groups affiliated with the Taliban have intensified their activities because Pakistan has adopted a firm stance against them. He added that the rise in reported incidents also reflects the growing number of proactive intelligence-based operations, which lead to more engagements between security forces and terrorists. He reaffirmed that Pakistan’s security forces remain committed to eliminating terrorism and maintaining stability across the country, particularly in Balochistan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *