punjab launches integrated
| |

Punjab launches Integrated Safe City network

LAHORE: Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif on Friday formally inaugurated the Punjab Integrated Safe City Network, describing it as a major step towards protecting citizens and reducing crime across the province.

Punjab has become the first province in the country to establish an integrated Safe City network covering all 41 districts and two tehsils.

Officials said coordinated efforts by the police, Crime Control Department (CCD) and Safe Cities Authority had contributed to an estimated 80 per cent decline in crime.

Safe Cities Authority Managing Director Ahsan Younas briefed the chief minister on the province-wide smart surveillance system. He said artificial intelligence (AI) was strengthening monitoring and enabling authorities to respond more quickly to potential threats.

The network combines intelligent surveillance, Emergency Helpline 15, traffic management, real-time command and control, and predictive policing. It also offers services through the Virtual Women Police Station, Child Safety Centre and Blood Bank, along with traffic and environmental monitoring facilities.

The government plans to install another 1,500 panic buttons across Punjab and equip every police station with the facility. Smart screens will also be installed at public locations.

AI-powered cameras will support facial identification and weapon detection, helping law-enforcement agencies improve surveillance and respond to security threats.

Maryam Nawaz said the government would expand the Safe Smart Cities project to every union council in Punjab. She said the province had made significant progress in technology, smart policing and predictive policing.

The chief minister said the government had transformed every district into a Safe City within the past two and a half years. She termed the ability to monitor the entire province through a single system a major achievement.

She said AI-based surveillance and predictive policing were helping authorities identify developments early and take timely action.

Speaking about the security situation, Maryam Nawaz said more than 70 areas of Punjab had previously been considered no-go zones, where people avoided travelling after sunset. She claimed that the government had now eliminated such areas across the province, including the riverine belt.

She added that the riverine region had recorded no serious crime or kidnapping for ransom for nearly 10 months. The administration also recently organised a cricket tournament there, which she described as a sign of improving law and order.

The chief minister said the provincial government would spend Rs30 billion on development projects in the riverine belt, including healthcare and other facilities, with the aim of bringing the area closer to the development standards of Punjab’s cities.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Exhumation uncovers bullet wound and pre-death inj…

    An eight-member medical exhumation board has confirmed that Mir Raza Ali suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the back alongside multiple severe pre-death injuries, drastically shifting the trajectory of the high-profile investigation. The four-page preliminary report, issued following an court-ordered grave exhumation at Karachi’s Rehmanial Masjid Graveyard, reveals extensive physical trauma sustained prior to death. Pathologists identified a 0.8-centimeter entry wound on the left side of the upper back, which fractured the sixth rib and tore through the heart before exiting the right side of the upper chest. Forensic examiners confirmed the presence of extravasation of blood in the underlying tissues, answering affirmatively that these injuries were inflicted while the victim was still alive. Beyond the firearm damage, the post-mortem detailed significant blunt-force trauma across the victim’s head, face, and neck. Doctors documented deep bruising on the skull, fractures to the nasal bone, tissue congestion over the maxilla, and a diastatic fracture running along the posterior sutures of the skull filled with congealed blood. Discoloration was also noted around the hyoid bone, though advanced decomposition hindered complete soft tissue analysis. While the medical board has verified antemortem bleeding and severe skeletal fractures, a final determination on the official cause of death remains reserved. Pathologists have submitted collected skin, muscle, hair, and bone samples for detailed chemical, forensic, and gunshot residue testing. The findings provide critical scientific evidence that redefines the ongoing investigation from a missing person query into a detailed homicide inquiry.

  • | |

    China lodges complaint after New Zealand’s W…

    China’s embassy in New Zealand has filed a formal complaint after Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters told a Green Party lawmaker of Chinese descent to return to his own country during a heated parliamentary exchange. The clash unfolded Wednesday when Green Party member Lawrence Xu-Nan, who was born in the Chinese city of Tianjin but raised in New Zealand, asked Peters during a debate over the country’s Covid pandemic response whether he was vaccinated. Peters, who leads the populist NZ First party, responded by telling Xu-Nan he had arrived in the country only recently and should return home, adding a remark suggesting dishonesty in China that does not apply in New Zealand. He went on to describe New Zealand as a democracy, in contrast to what he implied Xu-Nan was used to, and told him to go back to where he came from. The remarks prompted an unusual public response from Chinese Ambassador to New Zealand Wang Xiaolong, who said on social media that he generally avoids commenting on domestic politics but suggested the statement revealed more about the speaker than anyone else. China’s embassy in Wellington confirmed it had lodged a complaint with New Zealand’s foreign ministry over what it called negative China related remarks from a New Zealand politician. Peters has stood by his comments, saying New Zealand’s democratic system protects free speech and rights that other countries restrict, at times through force. He said on social media that those offended by his remarks were welcome to the reality of living in New Zealand. New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, whose National Party governs in coalition with Peters’ NZ First, criticized the remarks as inappropriate attention seeking behavior. This is not the first time Peters and his party, who hold significant influence as coalition partners in New Zealand’s fragmented political landscape, have faced accusations of racially charged rhetoric. Earlier this year, Peters’ deputy Shane Jones drew criticism for describing a free trade agreement with India as risking what he called a butter chicken flood. Last year, Peters and Jones faced backlash after Jones shouted at another lawmaker to send Mexicans home during a parliamentary debate, a comment aimed at a legislator who was actually born in the Philippines. Peters later told that lawmaker and Xu-Nan that they should show gratitude for being allowed to live in New Zealand. The episode adds to a pattern of controversies surrounding minor coalition partners in small parliamentary democracies, where kingmaker parties often wield outsized influence despite representing a smaller share of the electorate, occasionally straining diplomatic relationships in the process.

  • | |

    Khawaja Asif predicts PML-N AJK government

    Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leaders on Sunday expressed confidence that the party would emerge victorious in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections and form the next regional government. At the same time, they rejected allegations of election rigging and violence raised by the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), insisting that the polling process remained peaceful and transparent. Defence Minister Khawaja Asif made the remarks while visiting party election camps in Union Council Fatehgarh, Sialkot. He said polling across AJK and the refugee constituencies was conducted in a calm and orderly manner. According to him, voters actively participated in the electoral process and the turnout remained encouraging throughout the day. He said reports received from various election camps reflected a positive trend in favour of the PML-N. He added that voter participation was expected to increase further as polling continued. Khawaja Asif expressed confidence that the party would secure enough seats to form the next AJK government. The defence minister said a PML-N government in AJK would focus on development, public welfare and political stability. He added that the party wanted to continue serving the people under the leadership of Nawaz Sharif. Speaking about the Kashmir issue, Khawaja Asif reiterated Pakistan’s longstanding position. He said Kashmir remained an integral part of Pakistan’s national policy. He also criticised what he called propaganda aimed at strengthening India’s narrative on the dispute. According to him, there could be no compromise on Pakistan’s stance regarding Kashmir. He also highlighted the political importance of Sialkot, saying the district has a large population of refugees from Jammu. He noted that nearly 100,000 voters were registered in the LA-36 Jammu-III constituency, making it one of the important refugee seats in the elections. Khawaja Asif urged all political parties to respect the decision of the voters. He said every party should accept the election results in the spirit of democracy, regardless of victory or defeat. Later, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah also addressed a press conference in Islamabad alongside Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan Amir Muqam. Rana Sanaullah strongly rejected PPP allegations of widespread rigging and violence. He said the elections were held peacefully and voters exercised their democratic right without major disruptions. He explained that polling hours were extended by one hour at some polling stations because of difficult weather conditions. He added that voters who had already entered polling stations before the closing time were allowed to cast their ballots in accordance with election rules. According to Rana Sanaullah, nearly 95 to 96 per cent of the polling process had been completed smoothly by the end of the day. He said ballot counting had already started in most constituencies. The adviser criticised allegations of election manipulation. He said one political party began accusing the authorities of rigging early in the morning without presenting any evidence. He maintained that such claims were politically motivated and intended to create unnecessary controversy. Commenting on incidents of violence, Rana Sanaullah said only three isolated cases were reported during polling. He insisted these incidents did not affect the overall election process. He also responded to reports involving AJK Acting President and Speaker Chaudhry Latif Akbar. According to Rana Sanaullah, the incident resulted from a personal dispute linked to an old court case. He denied reports of any serious physical assault and said the matter had been exaggerated for political purposes. The adviser also addressed the death of an elderly man, Mushtaq, during polling. He said the deceased was a heart patient and suffered a cardiac arrest after an argument between rival political supporters. He rejected claims that the man had been killed in election-related violence, saying no post-mortem report had confirmed such allegations. Meanwhile, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said PML-N supporters participated enthusiastically in the elections. He said voters showed confidence in the party’s leadership by casting their ballots in favour of the lion, the party’s election symbol. In a statement shared on social media, Tarar described allegations of rigging as baseless and unsupported by evidence. He said the public had once again expressed trust in the PML-N’s agenda of development, public service and economic progress.

  • Thai Army Accuses Cambodia of Using Ancient Temple as Military Base

    SURIN – The Thai army has accused Cambodian forces of using a historic border temple as a military base to launch operations against Thailand, in what it says is a violation of international law. The Second Army Region, responsible for security along the Cambodian border, stated that Cambodian troops equipped with heavy weapons have been […]

  • Thai PM Says Statue Damage Cannot Compare to Soldiers’ Sacrifices

    BANGKOK – Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul stated that the dismantling of a statue resembling a Hindu deity near the Thai-Cambodian border cannot be equated with the sacrifices of Thai soldiers injured in the ongoing conflict. His remarks came in response to concerns raised by India over the statue’s removal, which Indian officials described as disrespectful […]

  • Pak Datacom’s shift to foreign satellite raises security concerns

    Islamabad: Serious questions have been raised over Pak Datacom’s reported shift of satellite connectivity for sensitive government linked organisations from Pakistan’s PakSat network to UAE based Yahsat, with a former chief executive of the company has asked regulators to investigate whether required approvals were obtained and whether national data security safeguards were fully protected. Pak Datacom officials were contacted for their response to the allegations and questions raised in the complaint, but no reply had been received at the time of filing this story. The concerns were raised by retired Brigadier Syed Zulfiqar Ali, who described himself in the complaint as a former chief executive and shareholder of Pak Datacom. He sent a formal complaint to authorities including the Pakistan Space Activities Regulatory Board, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority, the Director General Technical and PakSat International, with a copy also sent to the Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication. The complaint alleges that Pak Datacom moved VSAT services being provided to the National Bank of Pakistan and other government organisations from its local satellite arrangement to Yahsat’s YahClick service. According to the complaint, the earlier system used PakSat with network hubs located in Pakistan, while the new arrangement involves a UAE based satellite service. The complainant described the change as a possible security concern because the National Bank of Pakistan handles important government accounts. The main issue raised is whether the satellite change followed Pakistan’s regulatory requirements and if the necessary approvals were obtained. Pakistan’s Space Activities Rules state that government departments, armed forces and other government entities should use national satellite capacity and give the National Space Agency the first right of refusal. The same rules also provide an exception. If the required capacity is not available through a national satellite, services from a registered satellite operator may be used, subject to the regulatory process and an NOC from PSARB. The key unanswered questions are whether national satellite capacity was unavailable, whether Yahsat was being used as a registered satellite service under the relevant rules and whether the required approvals or NOC were obtained. The complaint asks the authorities to determine exactly these points. The complainant alleged that the move contradicted the Space Activities Rules and asked regulators to establish whether the formal procedure had been followed. The rules give PSARB powers to regulate satellite activities and ensure maximum use of national space assets. They also empower the regulator to issue an NOC to government organisations for using other registered satellites when national satellites cannot provide or arrange the required capacity. Pak Datacom is a listed company and, according to the documents supplied with the complaint, Telecom Foundation holds 55 percent of its shares while the remaining 45 percent is held by the general public. The complaint states that Pak Datacom has worked with defence and public sector organisations and has provided satellite communication and network support to organisations including the National Bank of Pakistan, NADRA, OGDCL, AGPR and NLC. According to the documents, Pak Datacom had been providing satellite backup connectivity to more than 400 National Bank branches. The complaint says this connectivity previously operated through PakSat, using hubs in Karachi and Islamabad before services shifted to Yahsat. The complainant argued that keeping government connectivity on an indigenous network would provide greater control, particularly for organisations handling sensitive information. Pak Datacom’s reported use of a virtual private network was also mentioned in the material. The complaint nevertheless argued that using a foreign satellite and overseas infrastructure required closer examination from a national security point of view. These concerns remain allegations that relevant regulators and the company must verify. Another issue raised in correspondence sent to the Ministry of Information Technology concerned the cost of the reported transition. The complainant alleged that approximately $97,000 was spent on imported equipment. He also alleged that around Rs 10 million was paid in Customs duties and taxes and around Rs 4 million in demurrage charges. The complaint linked the demurrage amount to alleged delay or negligence. The complainant requested an inquiry to determine whether the satellite shift was carried out according to the regulatory framework and whether the reported spending was justified. The Space Activities Rules give PSARB authority to investigate possible violations. Under the rules, PSARB may form a special committee to conduct a fact-finding inquiry if an act or omission may have violated the regulatory framework. The rules also state that satellite-based communication services in Pakistan must be provided through national satellites or registered satellites. Foreign satellite operators are also required to meet regulatory conditions for providing services in Pakistan. The documents therefore leave an important regulatory question open. If all required permissions, registration and NOCs were obtained and national satellite capacity was unavailable, the foreign satellite arrangement may fall within the exception provided by the rules. If those conditions were not met, regulators would need to determine whether any breach occurred and what action, if any, is required. The reporter contacted Pak Datacom Acting CEO Ali Saleem Rana and other company officials seeking clarification on why VSAT connectivity was reportedly shifted from PakSat to Yahsat. Questions were also sent asking whether the company had obtained the required approvals, how it responded to the security concerns and whether the reported expenditure figures were correct. No response had been received at the time the story was prepared. Pak Datacom’s position will be incorporated if the company responds. The matter now centres on whether the responsible regulatory authorities confirm that the required procedures were followed and whether the foreign satellite arrangement met Pakistan’s security and space regulation requirements. The central questions are whether the system was properly authorised, whether national capacity was considered first, whether government data remained protected and whether public and shareholder money was spent according to the rules.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *