sharjeel memon slams
| |

Sharjeel Memon slams PML-N over ‘fake mandat…

Sindh Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon on Tuesday launched a strong criticism of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), accusing the party of relying on what he described as a “fake mandate” while campaigning for the upcoming Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections.

In a statement, Sharjeel Memon said the people of Azad Kashmir had rejected what he called “manufactured political representation” in the past and would make the same decision in the upcoming elections. He expressed confidence that voters would once again support democratic values and reject politics based on disputed electoral mandates.

The senior minister alleged that the PML-N had come to power through a questionable electoral process and was now attempting to present itself as a defender of the Kashmiri people. He said a party that, in his view, failed to respect the public’s vote could not claim to protect the democratic rights of others.

Sharjeel Memon said the people of Pakistan and Azad Kashmir were fully aware of the country’s political history and would decide their future through the power of the ballot. He maintained that genuine public support could only be earned through transparent elections and good governance.

Referring to the Pakistan Peoples Party’s (PPP) performance in Gilgit-Baltistan, he said the party had secured the confidence of voters through democratic means. He added that the people of Azad Kashmir would also reject what he described as the politics of a disputed mandate.

The Sindh minister also criticised the Punjab government’s performance. He claimed that many residents of Punjab continued to travel to Karachi for advanced medical treatment and better healthcare facilities. He urged the PML-N leadership to focus on addressing public issues instead of criticising political opponents during election campaigns.

Sharjeel Memon said the PPP remained committed to constitutional supremacy, democratic principles and respect for the people’s mandate. He added that the party believed in serving the public through practical governance rather than political slogans.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Mild earthquake jolts parts of Karachi

    A mild earthquake was recorded in Karachi on Friday evening, with tremors felt across several parts of the city. The shaking caused brief panic among residents, although no casualties or damage were reported. According to the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), the earthquake measured 2.9 on the Richter scale. The seismic event originated at a depth of 10 kilometres, with its epicentre located within Karachi. The PMD said the earthquake struck at 6:01 pm, and its relatively shallow depth allowed tremors to be felt in different neighbourhoods. Authorities said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage to buildings or infrastructure. Residents in several areas experienced light shaking, but the situation remained calm after the tremors subsided. Officials continue to monitor seismic activity and have advised the public to remain alert while assuring that no emergency situation has been reported following the low-intensity earthquake.

  • | |

    PAC meeting reveals Rs1.06 billion embezzlement

      Islamabad: A meeting of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) revealed a major financial irregularity involving the Hyderabad Electric Supply Company (HESCO), where more than Rs1.06 billion was allegedly embezzled through the payment of salaries to ghost employees and retired staff. The disclosure was made during the committee’s review of an audit report highlighting serious financial mismanagement within the power distribution company. According to the audit findings, salaries continued to be issued in the names of non-existent employees as well as individuals who had already retired from service, resulting in a massive loss to the national exchequer. The audit report stated that the alleged embezzlement was carried out through the collusion of officials from HESCO’s Drawing and Disbursing Officer (DDO) office, Executive Engineer (XEN) office, and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) office. The report indicated that weaknesses in internal financial controls and payroll monitoring allowed the irregular payments to continue for an extended period without detection. During the PAC meeting, members expressed serious concern over the scale of the fraud and questioned how such a significant amount of public money could be misappropriated without timely intervention. The committee emphasized the need for stronger financial oversight, transparent payroll management, and strict accountability to prevent similar incidents in the future. Responding to the audit observations, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of HESCO informed the committee that disciplinary action had already been taken against officials found responsible for the irregularities. According to the CEO, four employees have been dismissed from service, including three accounts officers and one finance officer. He stated that the company has adopted a zero-tolerance policy toward corruption and financial misconduct and is cooperating fully with the relevant authorities. Officials from the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) also briefed the committee on the progress of the criminal investigation. They informed lawmakers that five criminal cases had been registered in connection with the fraud. According to the FIA, more than 130 individuals were allegedly involved in the scam, either directly or indirectly, making it one of the largest payroll fraud cases uncovered in a public sector utility. Despite the registration of multiple cases, the FIA reported that only Rs130 million has been recovered so far, a small portion of the total amount allegedly embezzled. Investigators said efforts are continuing to trace the remaining funds, identify all those responsible, and recover the outstanding amount through legal proceedings. The PAC directed the relevant authorities to expedite the investigation and ensure that all individuals involved are brought to justice, regardless of their position or influence. Committee members stressed that those responsible for the misuse of public funds must be held accountable to restore public confidence in government institutions. The revelations have once again highlighted the need for comprehensive reforms in payroll management, financial auditing, and internal accountability mechanisms within state-owned organizations. The committee reiterated that transparent governance and effective oversight are essential to preventing corruption and safeguarding public resources from financial abuse.

  • |

    Bruce Springsteen biographer Dave Marsh dies at 76

    Dave Marsh, the renowned American rock critic, author, and radio personality best known for his work documenting Bruce Springsteen’s career, has died at the age of 76. Marsh passed away late Friday at his home in Connecticut, with news of his death emerging on Saturday, August 15. His passing was confirmed by Jim Rotolo, the host of the Springsteen-focused SiriusXM program The Wild and The Innocent. Rotolo shared the news on the program’s official Facebook page, describing Marsh as both a longtime friend and an important figure in the world of music journalism. Marsh dedicated much of his career to chronicling the development of rock music and the artists who shaped the genre. He wrote numerous books throughout his career, producing a body of work that covered some of the biggest names and most important developments in popular music. He was especially recognized for his extensive writing about Bruce Springsteen. His 1979 book Born to Run examined Springsteen’s early career and became an important work for fans seeking a deeper understanding of the singer-songwriter’s rise to prominence. Marsh went on to write several other books connected to Springsteen, cementing his reputation as one of the artist’s most notable biographers. Marsh entered music journalism in 1969 when he began working with Creem magazine. His sharp criticism and detailed knowledge of rock music quickly established him as a respected voice within the industry. During the 1970s and early 1980s, he also worked with Rolling Stone, where he contributed reviews and helped shape the publication’s influential approach to music criticism. His impact was not limited to journalism. Marsh was widely associated with the early use of the phrase “punk rock,” which he used while writing about Question Mark & the Mysterians in 1971. The term would later become closely associated with one of the most influential movements in modern music. As his career developed, Marsh expanded into radio broadcasting. He was involved in the creation of E Street Radio, a SiriusXM channel dedicated to Springsteen and his music. He also hosted Kick Out the Jams on SiriusXM for 19 years, giving listeners a platform to explore rock music and its history. Beyond his work as a critic and broadcaster, Marsh also served as a committee member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His involvement reflected his broader influence and knowledge of rock music. Marsh had increasingly stepped away from public life in his later years. He left broadcasting in 2022 following a prolonged period of declining health. His official cause of death has not been publicly revealed. News of his death has led to an outpouring of appreciation from those who admired his work and influence. His career spanned more than five decades, during which he documented major artists, movements, and moments in rock history. For Bruce Springsteen fans in particular, Marsh’s work remains closely connected to the story of one of America’s most celebrated musicians. Through his books, criticism, and broadcasting, he helped preserve important chapters of rock history for future generations. Marsh’s legacy will live on through his extensive writing and the many listeners and readers influenced by his work. His contribution to music journalism leaves him remembered as a distinctive and influential voice in American rock criticism.

  • | | |

    Global oil prices drop 12% in three days, Pakistan…

    Pakistani consumers have yet to benefit from a sharp decline in global oil prices, despite international petroleum markets recording a fall of up to 12% over the past three days. The continued high fuel prices have added to the financial burden on households already struggling with rising inflation. Over the last 12 days, fuel prices in Pakistan have increased significantly, with diesel becoming Rs. 65.08 per litre more expensive and petrol rising by Rs. 25.10 per litre. The increases followed the federal government’s decision on July 17 to introduce a daily fuel price adjustment mechanism in line with international market trends. On July 17, petrol was priced at Rs. 310.71 per litre, while high-speed diesel was available at Rs. 323.30 per litre. As of July 29, petrol is being sold at Rs. 335.81 per litre, whereas diesel has climbed to Rs. 388.38 per litre, marking one of the steepest short-term increases in recent years. Although consumers witnessed two minor reductions in petrol prices during this period, the relief was limited. Petrol prices were cut by Rs. 0.35 per litre on July 21 and by Rs. 1.00 per litre on July 27. Diesel prices, however, have not been reduced since the daily pricing mechanism came into effect. International oil markets experienced a sustained upward trend after July 17, contributing to higher domestic fuel prices. However, between July 25 and July 28, global petroleum prices fell sharply, with reports indicating a decline of approximately 12% across major international benchmarks. Despite this significant drop in global prices, Pakistani consumers have not yet received any corresponding reduction at the pump. The absence of immediate relief has sparked concerns among motorists and businesses, particularly those heavily dependent on transportation and logistics, where fuel costs directly affect operating expenses. Economists note that lower international oil prices, if sustained, could create room for a reduction in domestic fuel prices in the coming days. Any adjustment, however, will depend on several factors, including exchange rate movements, government taxes and levies, freight costs, and the pricing formula adopted by the authorities. With inflation continuing to squeeze household budgets, many consumers are hoping the recent decline in global oil prices will soon translate into lower petrol and diesel prices in Pakistan, easing transportation costs and reducing pressure on the overall cost of living.

  • | |

    Katy Perry’s stage stunt goes wildly wrong

    American pop star Katy Perry experienced an unexpected scare during a live concert in Malta after a planned stage stunt went off course, leaving her stranded inside a giant inflatable water bottle. Videos of the incident quickly spread across social media, attracting millions of views and sparking widespread discussion among fans. The 41-year-old singer used the oversized inflatable prop as part of her performance. The stunt was designed to allow the audience to carry the giant inflatable over the crowd and guide it back toward the stage, where a large decorative straw had been placed as part of the performance. However, the plan did not go as expected. Instead of moving back toward the stage, the inflatable drifted deeper into the audience. As the crowd carried the prop farther away, Perry found herself unable to return to the stage as intended. Videos shared online showed the singer trying to keep her balance while sitting inside the inflatable bottle. As she realized she was being carried farther from the stage, she called out to fans and urged them to take her back toward the performance area. After several minutes of confusion, concertgoers managed to change the direction of the inflatable and safely guided Perry back to the stage. She resumed her performance without any injuries and completed the concert. Speaking about the incident later on social media, Perry laughed about the unexpected moment. She explained that she often uses the giant inflatable during her concerts to interact with fans. However, she admitted that on this occasion she had travelled much farther into the crowd than planned and briefly worried she might not be able to return to the stage. The unusual incident quickly became one of the most talked-about moments online. Fans shared countless videos, memes and humorous posts inspired by the singer’s famous songs. Many praised Perry for remaining calm and handling the situation with a sense of humour. At the same time, some social media users questioned the safety measures surrounding the stunt. They raised concerns about crowd control and wondered whether such a large inflatable prop should have been allowed to move through a packed audience without clearer supervision or guidance.

  • | |

    India accused of promoting banned committee narrat…

    India has allegedly stepped up efforts to promote the narrative of a banned committee in Azad Jammu and Kashmir after the group failed to gain wider public support, according to security sources. The sources claimed that Indian forces played videos linked to the banned Public Action Committee in the Keran sector on August 13 and 14. The alleged move was aimed at creating anti-Pakistan sentiments among people living near the Line of Control. Security officials said the videos were used to highlight the committee’s narrative and influence public opinion. Experts believe the alleged move raises questions about possible links between the banned group and India. They said the promotion of the committee’s material from the Indian side could indicate an attempt to exploit political and social issues in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. Defence analyst and retired Major General Zahid Mahmood said people were already aware of claims regarding foreign involvement in the activities of the banned Action Committee. He said information about alleged external support had previously emerged through what he described as reliable sources. Mahmood said efforts had been made to develop a specific narrative about Azad Jammu and Kashmir. According to him, the objective was to damage the broader Kashmir freedom movement and create divisions among the people. He alleged that India and other international actors were playing a role in shaping narratives related to Kashmir. The retired general also claimed that some international forces and media groups were helping promote these narratives. He said such efforts could be aimed at influencing public opinion and weakening support for the Kashmir cause. Security sources maintained that the alleged circulation of the videos was part of a broader attempt to provoke anti-Pakistan sentiments. They said the use of material associated with the banned committee could also be intended to create political unrest and confusion among the public. The allegations come amid continued tensions surrounding political developments in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. Authorities are closely monitoring activities along the Line of Control and the dissemination of material they believe could fuel unrest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *