singapore bans british
| |

Singapore bans British band Massive Attack following pro-Palestinian display at concert

The Singapore Police Force and the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) have issued a formal entry ban against British trip-hop band Massive Attack after band members unfurled a Palestinian flag and shouted “Free Palestine” on stage during their performance at The Star Performing Arts Centre.

Following an investigation into the incident, authorities administered stern warnings to founding members Robert Del Naja and Grant Marshall for violating Section 3 of the Foreign National Emblems (Control of Display) Act 1949 and Section 16 of the Public Order Act.

The regulatory body confirmed that the band will be denied future entry and performance permits in the country.

IMDA is also evaluating potential licensing breaches against the local concert organiser for failing to enforce rules that strictly prohibit the display of political or foreign symbols.

Singapore maintains stringent regulations regarding public demonstrations, political expression, and the display of foreign emblems to preserve racial and religious harmony within its multicultural population.

Authorities reiterated that external geopolitical conflicts must not be imported into the country’s public sphere. Massive Attack, known for integrating political activism into their performances, continued their world tour with their next scheduled stop in Seoul.

Similar Posts

  • |

    At least 18 migrants die as thousands cross into Spain’s Ceuta enclave

    At least 18 migrants have died while attempting to reach the Spanish enclave of Ceuta after thousands crossed the border from Morocco in one of the largest migration surges seen in the region in recent years. The humanitarian situation continued to worsen on Friday as migrants kept arriving by sea while clashes broke out between Moroccan security forces and groups gathered near the border. Hundreds of migrants were seen on hills overlooking Ceuta as Moroccan authorities used tear gas to disperse crowds trying to move toward the Spanish territory. Despite the security operation, many people continued to swim across the narrow stretch of water separating Morocco from Ceuta. At the same time, large numbers of migrants who had already entered the enclave chose to return to Morocco on foot. Rachid Sbihi, who heads a local association representing Spain’s Civil Guard officers, described the situation as a serious humanitarian emergency. He said thousands of migrants, including many unaccompanied children, were sleeping in parks, streets and public spaces because reception centres had reached capacity. Emergency teams and military personnel sent to the area have mainly focused on treating the injured and providing humanitarian assistance as authorities struggle to manage the crisis. According to local officials, many of the 18 victims drowned while trying to swim into Ceuta. Others reportedly died during a stampede near the breakwater at Tarajal beach as large crowds rushed toward the border. Rescue teams continued searching the coastline while personal belongings including shoes, clothing and flotation devices were scattered along the shore. Many migrants said they left Morocco in search of better economic opportunities in Europe. One migrant, 33 year old Ahmed Karim, said unemployment and limited prospects at home had driven many people to take the dangerous journey. He explained that many dream of reaching Europe or the United States but see few legal opportunities to do so. Moroccan authorities strengthened security along the border by deploying additional police officers, using water cannons and firing warning shots into the air to stop more crossings. Human rights groups said migrants who were detained near the border were transported further into Morocco, although many others continued arriving in the area hoping to enter Ceuta. Morocco’s ambassador to Spain, Karima Benyaich, expressed hope that those who had crossed into Ceuta would voluntarily return. She said Morocco supports safe and orderly migration but did not comment on what had triggered the sudden movement of thousands of people toward the Spanish territory. Officials in Spain linked the surge to a recent Supreme Court ruling stating that migrants who reach Spain by swimming cannot automatically be returned, unlike those who cross by land or climb the border fence. The Spanish government argued that people smuggling networks had exploited public misunderstanding of the ruling to encourage migrants to attempt the dangerous crossing. Some Moroccan rights activists questioned that explanation, saying many migrants were unlikely to have known about the legal decision. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez was expected to visit Ceuta after local authorities requested military assistance. His government’s migration policies have come under criticism from opposition politicians, who argue that recent measures granting residency and work permits to certain undocumented migrants have encouraged more people to head for Spain. The government rejected those claims, insisting the current crisis is unrelated to its immigration reforms. The unrest also spread to Melilla, Spain’s other North African enclave, where groups of migrants attempted to cross the border and clashed with Moroccan police. Rights groups reported injuries among security personnel and dozens of arrests. Spanish officials have not yet confirmed how many migrants entered Ceuta, although media reports estimate that between 30,000 and 49,000 people crossed into the territory within a single day, placing enormous pressure on a city with a population of about 84,000.

  • | | | |

    Pakistan, Qatar push US-Iran 10-day ceasefire plan

    WASHINGTON/DOHA: Pakistan, Qatar and Egypt have stepped up diplomatic efforts to prevent a wider conflict in the Middle East by proposing a 10-day ceasefire between the United States and Iran, according to a report by US news outlet Axios. However, neither side has yet agreed to the proposal as military tensions continue to escalate. The report said regional mediators are working behind the scenes to create space for diplomacy after days of intense hostilities between Washington and Tehran. The proposed ceasefire aims to temporarily halt military operations, restore maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz and open the door for renewed negotiations. According to sources familiar with the mediation efforts, the proposal has been shared with both governments, but officials in Washington and Tehran have so far withheld their approval. Diplomats say both countries appear determined to strengthen their military positions before considering any pause in fighting. The report added that US President Donald Trump is weighing two key options. The first is to endorse a limited 10-day ceasefire that could reduce regional tensions and revive diplomatic talks. The second involves expanding military operations alongside Israel in an effort to increase pressure on Iran and force concessions over security and nuclear issues. US officials quoted in the report said no final decision has been made, adding that developments over the coming days are expected to determine Washington’s next move. Despite several days of military operations, the report noted that the United States and Israel have not succeeded in eliminating Iran’s influence over the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, through which a significant portion of the world’s oil supplies passes. Analysts warn that any prolonged disruption in the waterway could have serious consequences for global energy markets. The report also highlighted growing domestic pressure on the Trump administration as rising fuel prices in the United States fuel public concern over the economic cost of continued military action. Diplomatic momentum reportedly suffered a setback after two American soldiers were killed in an Iranian missile attack in Jordan over the weekend. Following the incident, Washington is said to have adopted a tougher stance while continuing diplomatic contacts. A senior US official confirmed that backchannel discussions remain active but stressed that the United States intends to respond to the deaths of its troops. The official added that military operations could continue for as long as President Trump considers necessary. Regional sources nevertheless expressed cautious optimism, saying negotiations remain the best path forward, as neither Washington nor Tehran is believed to be in a position to impose a lasting solution through military means alone.

  • | |

    JI announces nationwide sit-ins over rising fuel p…

    Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Emir Hafiz Naeemur Rehman has announced sit-ins outside the chief minister’s residence in Lahore and governors’ houses across the country from August 16, protesting rising petroleum prices and the growing cost of living. Speaking at a press conference in Lahore, Rehman said the Lahore demonstration would begin at 3pm from Masjid-e-Shuhada and move towards the Chief Minister’s House. He said the protests would continue until the government addressed the party’s demands, including immediate reductions in fuel, electricity and essential commodity prices. Rehman accused the government of collecting Rs1,567 billion through petroleum levies, claiming the amount had exceeded the target set under the International Monetary Fund programme. He said JI would not remain silent while ordinary citizens faced increasing economic pressure. The JI chief warned that any attempt to obstruct the demonstrations could escalate the campaign into a broader movement demanding the government’s removal. He maintained that the party’s previous sit-ins had been peaceful and caused no damage to public or private property. JI has also launched a social media campaign against the petroleum levy, urging citizens to raise their voices against what is described as an unfair financial burden on the public.

  • | |

    Atif Aslam reveals why he misses his Indian fans

    Pakistani singer Atif Aslam has said that he misses his Indian fans and appreciates the support they have continued to show him despite restrictions affecting his work in India. The internationally popular singer shared his thoughts while speaking during a podcast in Dubai, where he is currently involved in various music-related activities and media appearances. Atif Aslam recently appeared on Chris Fed’s podcast, One on One with Chris Fed, where he discussed his career, his Indian audience and his upcoming musical plans. Addressing his Indian fans, Atif said they should not feel sad or disappointed because of the restrictions. He clarified that what he misses is not simply working in India but, more importantly, the fans he has built there over the years. The singer expressed gratitude to his Indian audience for continuing to support him during a difficult period. He acknowledged that their loyalty and encouragement remain important to him. Atif Aslam also reflected on his experience of working in the Indian music industry. He said his time as a playback singer in India taught him a great deal and contributed significantly to his development as an artist. According to the singer, if the restrictions had not been imposed, he might not have moved toward producing his own music in the same way. The experience ultimately encouraged him to explore new creative directions and become more involved in creating music independently. Atif is now working on a new musical project titled “Borderless Music.” The project is expected to bring together artists from different areas of the music industry, including emerging musicians, established singers, legendary performers, composers and lyricists. The project reflects Atif’s continued interest in creating music that can reach audiences beyond geographical boundaries. Known for songs such as “Aadat,” “Kuch Is Tarah,” “Bakhuda” and “Dil Diyan Gallan,” Atif Aslam has developed a large international following over the years. His popularity extends across South Asia and beyond, making him one of Pakistan’s most recognizable contemporary singers. His latest comments have once again highlighted the strong connection between the singer and his Indian audience. While he did not focus on returning to work in India, his message made it clear that the bond with his fans remains significant. Atif also hinted that fans can expect more music under the “Borderless Music” project in the coming days, potentially giving listeners a new chapter in his evolving musical journey.

  • |

    Apple offers 15% App Store fee, pushes for Epic settlement talks

    Apple is making two significant moves at once in its long-running legal battle with Epic Games. The tech giant has proposed a new commission structure while also pushing for both sides to return to the negotiating table. In a new court filing, Apple proposed capping commissions at 15% on purchases made through alternative payment systems in the US. The move follows a period during which Apple charged a 27% commission on those same transactions. That earlier rate had already landed Apple in trouble. Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers ruled it violated a prior court order requiring Apple to let developers direct users toward outside payment options. Epic Games wasted no time responding to the new proposal. The company argued the revised fees still fall far outside what the Ninth Circuit has indicated would be acceptable. The timing of Apple’s filing is notable too. It landed the same day the Supreme Court rejected Apple’s request to pause lower-court proceedings while it separately reviews Gonzalez Rogers’ contempt finding against the company. That rejection means the fee-setting process will continue moving forward in the district court. This holds true regardless of how the higher court eventually rules on the separate contempt issue. Alongside the commission proposal, Apple filed a separate motion asking the court to order both companies into a settlement conference. The session would be overseen by Magistrate Judge Joseph C. Spero. According to the filing, Apple had already proposed this meeting directly to Epic’s legal team on August 11. Epic, however, declined to agree to the arrangement at that time. Despite Epic’s refusal, Apple maintains the court still has the authority to compel the conference. The company points to the fact that the Ninth Circuit itself had previously invited both parties to work toward an agreement on link-out commissions. Apple believes a confidential meeting could help resolve the dispute without further extending the ongoing remand proceedings. Notably, the filing does not include any actual settlement terms, it simply requests a court order mandating the conference take place. With both sides digging in on separate fronts, the long-running dispute between Apple and Epic shows no signs of reaching a resolution anytime soon.

  • | |

    Marc Anthony welcomes eighth child with wife Nadia Ferreira

    Latin music superstar Marc Anthony and his wife, former Miss Universe Paraguay contestant Nadia Ferreira, have officially welcomed their second child together, a baby girl named Myla, making the Grammy-winning singer a father of eight. ​The couple announced the joyous news through a joint Instagram post, sharing heartwarming photographs of their newborn alongside their three-year-old son, Marco. In their shared caption, the couple expressed their deep gratitude for the arrival of their daughter, writing: ​”What a great blessing to be able to share with you the arrival of our precious MYLA. You can’t imagine the happiness we have at home, we are over the moon.” ​Anthony, 57, and Ferreira, 27, first announced they were expecting again in January 2026 during their third wedding anniversary celebration. They later confirmed in March that they were expecting a girl by sharing a photo featuring tiny pink baby shoes. ​The birth of baby Myla marks another expansive chapter for Anthony’s blended family. In addition to his two children with Ferreira, the singer is father to six older children from previous relationships: daughter Arianna and son Chase with Debbie Rosado; sons Cristian and Ryan with ex-wife Dayanara Torres; and 18-year-old twins Max and Emme with ex-wife Jennifer Lopez.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *