appeals court again
| |

US appeals Court again blocks Trump’s $100,0…

The Trump administration has suffered another legal setback after a US federal appeals court refused to reinstate a controversial $100,000 fee for H-1B visas, dealing a fresh blow to the administration’s immigration policy.

A three-judge panel of the First US Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston ruled that the administration had failed to demonstrate a strong likelihood of success in its appeal or prove that it had acted within its legal authority when imposing the massive fee increase.

The decision comes in a lawsuit filed by attorneys general from 20 Democratic-led states, who challenged the legality of the policy soon after it was introduced.

The appeals court’s ruling leaves in place an earlier decision issued on June 8, when a lower court declared the $100,000 H-1B visa fee unlawful. That court concluded that Congress had never granted the executive branch the authority to impose a charge of that magnitude, describing it as a tax that exceeded the administration’s legal powers.

President Donald Trump introduced the fee increase through an executive order issued last year, arguing that the H-1B visa program had been widely used by companies to replace American workers with lower-paid foreign professionals.

The administration maintained that the significantly higher fee would discourage misuse of the program and encourage employers to prioritize hiring US workers. Critics, however, argued that the measure would severely disrupt industries that rely on highly skilled international talent, particularly the technology, healthcare and engineering sectors.

Under current immigration rules, the United States issues 65,000 H-1B visas annually, along with an additional 20,000 visas for applicants holding advanced academic degrees from US institutions. The visas are generally granted for periods ranging from three to six years.

Before Trump’s proposed increase, employers typically paid between $2,000 and $5,000 in government filing fees for an H-1B visa, depending on the size of the company and other applicable charges.

The proposed $100,000 fee would not have applied to foreign nationals already in the United States on student visas who later transitioned to H-1B status.

The latest court ruling represents another significant legal obstacle for the Trump administration’s immigration agenda and ensures that the dramatic fee increase will remain suspended while the broader legal battle continues.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Award-winning ‘Ghost School’ denied cinema cer…

    British-Pakistani filmmaker Seemab Gul’s award-winning film Ghost School has been denied certification by the Sindh Board of Certification, preventing its theatrical release in the province where the film is set. The decision has sparked discussion about artistic expression, girls’ education and the portrayal of social issues through cinema. Gul has appealed to the Sindh Board to reconsider its decision. She said the film was made from a child’s perspective and aims to encourage audiences to think about education and the challenges faced by children. The filmmaker said she had asked the board to explain the reason for refusing certification but had not received an explanation. Despite the decision in Sindh, Ghost School has already gained recognition at several international film festivals. The film won the Best Director award at the UK Asian Film Festival. It also premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival, where it received a nomination in a major competition category. It was later screened at the Red Sea Film Festival in Jeddah. The film also received an honourable mention at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles and secured a special award at the Asian, African and Latin American Film Festival. The film follows 10-year-old Rabia, who tries to understand why the only school in her rural village has stopped operating. Through the young girl’s journey, the story examines barriers to girls’ education, resilience and problems within publicly funded schools. The film focuses on the issue of so-called “ghost schools”. These are schools that exist officially but are no longer functioning properly as educational institutions. Gul explained that some such schools were never fully completed. They may lack basic facilities such as doors, windows, water, electricity or gas. In other cases, she said, schools were completed and teachers initially worked there, but operations eventually stopped. The filmmaker described the issue as a serious challenge in Pakistan, where millions of children remain outside the formal education system. Gul said the film was not intended simply to highlight a problem. Instead, she wanted to tell the story through a child’s eyes and encourage discussion about access to education. The refusal to certify the film in Sindh has therefore raised broader questions about whether filmmakers should be able to explore sensitive social issues through cinema. Gul has urged the provincial certification authority to review its decision and allow audiences to watch the film.

  • | |

    110 stranded Pakistani students return from Afghan…

    Another group of 110 Pakistani students has safely returned from Afghanistan through the Torkham border crossing following efforts to facilitate the repatriation of citizens affected by tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan. According to border security officials, the students were brought back as part of ongoing arrangements to ensure the safe return of Pakistanis who had remained stranded across the border. Earlier, around 70 Pakistani students were also repatriated through the same crossing about a month ago. Authorities said the latest return reflects continued coordination between officials on both sides of the border to ease the movement of stranded individuals. The repatriation process was carried out smoothly under agreed arrangements aimed at addressing humanitarian concerns. In addition to the return of students, authorities also permitted 592 Pakistani cargo trucks to re-enter the country through the Torkham border. The move is expected to provide relief to transporters and traders whose commercial activities had been disrupted due to restrictions at the border. Border officials said the phased return of students and commercial vehicles was made possible through coordinated efforts involving diplomatic representatives, border security authorities from both countries and local facilitators working to improve cross-border movement.

  • | |

    Governor signals PPP’s shift to opposition polit…

    Governor of Punjab Sardar Saleem Haider Khan has said that those who had been supporting the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) government in implementing its policies and defending its decisions had reached the limits of their endurance. Speaking to a delegation of the Pakistan English Media Association (PEMA) at the Governor’s House on Monday, he said the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) had now assumed the role of an opposition party and would continue to function as a genuine opposition until the next general elections, scheduled for 2029. PEMA Chairman Zulqernain Tahir and President Rameez Khan led the delegation, which also included Secretary General Ali Raza and members Mubashir Bokhari, Babar Dogar, Shahar Bano, Mubashar Hassan, Faisal Ali Ghumman and Samiullah Randhwa. He made it clear that the PPP would not return to the present coalition arrangement following the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections and would instead play the role of an effective opposition, particularly in Punjab. Mr Khan said the PPP had never favoured coalition governments as a means of running the country, even during the previous parliamentary term. Although the party was widely regarded as an ally of the PML-N-led government, he said it was, in practice, steadily moving into opposition. He maintained that those backing the present government appeared increasingly powerless in the face of poor governance and allegations of corruption. Responding to a question, the PPP leader said internal differences within the party had been resolved to enable it to function as a more effective opposition. Mr Khan also dismissed speculation over a power-sharing arrangement at the federal level, saying there was no written agreement under which Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif would serve for two and a half years before handing over office to Bilawal Bhutto Zardari for the remainder of the term. He said there could be no disagreement that the people of Pakistan were grappling with rising unemployment and persistent inflation. The PPP, he added, would continue to raise these issues publicly to mobilise support while also exerting political pressure on the PML-N government to improve its performance and deliver meaningful relief to the public.

  • |

    Anurag Kashyap’s T-shirt steals spotlight at dinner party

    Indian filmmaker Anurag Kashyap recently found himself at the centre of online attention after a casual dinner outing with filmmaker Imtiaz Ali and a group of friends. While the gathering brought together two well-known names from the Indian film industry, it was Kashyap’s unusual T-shirt that quickly became the main talking point on social media. Kashyap shared several pictures from the dinner on social media, giving fans a glimpse of the gathering. Alongside the photographs, he joked that although it was supposed to be a family dinner, his T-shirt ended up attracting more attention than anything else. The red T-shirt featured the words “dimagi nakal” prominently, followed by the phrase “been into this since my school days”. The unusual wording immediately caught the attention of social media users, particularly because it appeared to be a playful reference to the phrase “dimagi naxals”, which has recently featured in political discussions in India. Kashyap’s humorous choice of clothing quickly prompted a variety of reactions. Some users appreciated the filmmaker’s sense of humour and found the design amusing, while others were impressed enough to suggest that the T-shirt should be made available as merchandise. One social media user expressed admiration for the design and proudly referred to themselves as a “dimagi nakal”. Another directly encouraged Kashyap to consider launching merchandise featuring the slogan. Beyond the T-shirt, the dinner pictures also generated excitement because of Kashyap’s meeting with Imtiaz Ali. Fans were delighted to see the two acclaimed filmmakers together and filled the comments section with reactions to their reunion. The reference behind the T-shirt gained additional significance because the phrase “dimagi naxal” had recently become part of a political conversation following remarks made by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Independence Day speech. The comment prompted reactions and debate across political and social circles. Meanwhile, Kashyap remains busy with several projects across the Indian film industry. He has been involved in directing, producing and acting in a number of films. His recent directorial work includes Nishaanchi, while he has also been associated with projects such as Bad Girl, Bandar and the Kannada film Vaghachipani. As an actor, Kashyap is also set to appear in the Telugu film Dacoit: A Love Story. Known for his distinctive filmmaking style and outspoken personality, he frequently attracts attention both for his creative work and his candid presence on social media.

  • |

    Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in US insurance CEO killing

    Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty in federal court to charges linked to the fatal shooting of UnitedHealthcare executive Brian Thompson, bringing a major development in a closely watched case that sparked intense public debate over the US health insurance system. Mangione admitted in court that he shot Thompson in Manhattan on December 4, 2024. He pleaded guilty to two federal stalking charges involving Thompson and acknowledged that he had targeted the executive with the intention of killing him. “I shot Mr Thompson in Manhattan, and he died,” Mangione told the court. US District Judge Margaret Garnett warned Mangione that the federal charges could carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. She scheduled his sentencing for December 18. Federal prosecutors have indicated that they will seek a life sentence. The guilty plea eliminates the need for a federal trial over Thompson’s killing. It could also strengthen Mangione’s efforts to challenge or seek dismissal of separate murder charges filed against him in New York. Thompson, who headed UnitedHealth Group’s insurance division, was shot outside a Manhattan hotel while attending an investor conference. His death triggered widespread attention across the United States, while the circumstances surrounding the killing led to renewed public discussion about healthcare costs, insurance coverage and patients’ frustrations with the industry. Mangione, 28, told the court that he had experienced a serious back injury and had subsequently dealt with the health insurance system. He said he researched UnitedHealthcare’s investor conference before travelling to New York with the intention of killing Thompson. Prosecutors have alleged that Mangione used a 3-D printer to manufacture part of a firearm. He was later arrested in Pennsylvania following a nationwide manhunt. Thompson’s family welcomed the guilty plea, describing it as an important step toward justice. The family said it expected the court to impose a sentence that reflected the seriousness of the crime. The case has attracted enormous media and public attention since graphic footage of the shooting emerged and authorities launched a five-day search for the suspect. Mangione’s arrest also generated intense debate on social media, including criticism of the healthcare industry and reactions to the circumstances surrounding Thompson’s death. Mangione had previously denied the federal allegations and pleaded not guilty to murder, weapons and stalking charges in April 2025.

  • ‘Super El Niño’ Puts Thailand on Alert as Drought Threatens Crops and Water Supplies

    BANGKOK — The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry has unveiled a nationwide contingency plan to mitigate the potential impact of a looming Super El Niño, warning that hotter temperatures and below-normal rainfall could threaten crops, water supplies and rural incomes across the country this year. Super El Niño to Hit Thailand with Extreme Heat and Drought, […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *