dead 49000 rush
|

19 dead as 49,000 rush Spain’s Ceuta border

Spain and Morocco have strengthened security along the border of the Spanish enclave of Ceuta after an unprecedented surge saw around 49,000 migrants cross by land and sea within a single day, triggering a humanitarian and political crisis.

Authorities from both countries reinforced border fences and increased security deployments on Friday, effectively halting further mass crossings. Moroccan security forces used water cannons to disperse crowds attempting to reach the enclave, while damaged vehicles and signs of violent clashes were visible near the border.

Spanish officials confirmed that at least 19 bodies were recovered from the waters during the chaotic crossings, raising concerns over the growing human cost of irregular migration.

Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez was expected to visit Ceuta alongside Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska to assess the situation and oversee the government’s response.

Ceuta, a Spanish territory on Morocco’s northern coast, represents one of the European Union’s only land borders with Africa. While the enclave has experienced migration waves in the past, officials described the latest influx as the largest recorded in recent years.

Spain’s government said migrants who entered the enclave illegally would be returned in accordance with Spanish law while respecting recent court rulings and international human rights obligations.

Officials believe the sudden increase in crossings may have been influenced by a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling that placed new limits on the immediate return of migrants intercepted while attempting to reach Ceuta and the nearby enclave of Melilla.

On the Moroccan side, thousands of migrants gathered near the border town of Fnideq despite heavy security. Many searched for alternative routes after official crossing points were sealed, while others attempted to reach Ceuta by swimming along the coastline. The crowds included men, women, and children from Morocco as well as several Sub-Saharan African countries.

The crisis has sparked political tensions across Europe. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni warned that Italy could consider extraordinary measures, including suspending participation in the Schengen border-free travel system with Spain, if migration pressures continue to escalate.

Italy also criticized Spain’s immigration policies, arguing that recent measures to regularize the status of hundreds of thousands of undocumented migrants could encourage further irregular migration.

Spain rejected the criticism, insisting that migration requires a coordinated European response based on solidarity rather than political rhetoric. Spanish officials stressed that migrants contribute to the country’s economy while reaffirming their commitment to tackling illegal border crossings.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Pinky’s account received Rs300m in one year: Sin…

    Sindh Additional Inspector General (AIG) Azad Khan has told the Senate Standing Committee on Interior that a bank account allegedly linked to drug case suspect Anmol alias Pinky received around Rs300 million within a year. Briefing the committee, Azad Khan said one transaction involving the account amounted to Rs290 million. He added that financial data involving transactions worth around Rs1 billion had so far emerged during the investigation. The briefing was given at a meeting of the Senate Sub-Committee on Interior, chaired by Senator Saifullah Abro. According to the Sindh police official, 10 people have been challaned in connection with the Anmol alias Pinky case. He said two individuals were allegedly operating accounts linked to the suspect and were running their activities from Lahore. The AIG also identified a suspect named Sameer as an alleged associate of Anmol. Azad Khan said another suspect, identified as Aqib, was allegedly running the network in Karachi. He added that two women were also allegedly part of the network and worked as riders for Pinky. According to the briefing, some African nationals allegedly supplied cocaine to the network. The Sindh police official further said investigators had identified 25 riders allegedly associated with the network. He said investigations were continuing into accounts allegedly held in the names of other individuals but believed to be linked to Anmol. Azad Khan also commented on the scale of the alleged drug network. He said media attention had created significant public discussion around the case, but claimed that Anmol was not among the largest drug suppliers. During the meeting, Senator Saifullah Abro questioned the AIG about statements made by Minister of State for Interior Talal Chaudhry regarding the case. Abro asked whether the minister had contacted the Sindh police in connection with Anmol alias Pinky. Azad Khan replied that the Minister of State for Interior had not contacted the police regarding the matter. The committee also discussed other issues related to law enforcement and ongoing investigations in Sindh. Senator Abro raised concerns over alleged corruption involving provincial ministers and referred to several major development projects, including the Yellow Line and Blue Line projects. He also mentioned the arrest of Zameer Abbasi during the discussion.

  • |

    Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi announces names of four women’s teams for CM Punjab Champions League

    The number of women’s teams to be enhanced in the next edition of CM Punjab Champions League: Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi LAHORE (July 22, 2026): Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi has announced the names of four women’s teams that will compete in the upcoming CM Punjab Champions League. He made this announcement while addressing a high-level meeting at National Hockey Stadium on Wednesday. The meeting was attended by Punjab University Director Sports Shabbir Sarwar, Lahore College for Women University Director Sports Sumaira Sattar, Kinnaird College representative Nazish, Deputy Director Zahoor Ahmad, University of Lahore representatives Javed and Irfanullah, along with other officials. The key meeting was convened to review the preparations for the mega tournament. Former Pakistan women’s cricket team captain Nida Dar attended the meeting and briefed the participants on arrangements and preparations for the women’s competitions. Addressing the meeting, Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi informed that the four participating women’s cricket teams are – Cholistan Champions, Potohar Pride, Chenab Challengers and Indus Invincibles. “CM Punjab Champions League will provide a suitable platform to talented female cricketers to demonstrate their cricketing potential”. Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi said the CM Punjab Champions League matches of women cricket teams will be organized at Nawab Town Cricket Stadium while men’s 12 teams will play their matches at the LCCA Ground, Ashiana Cricket Stadium, Garhi Shahu Railway Ground and Gaddafi Stadium from August 3 to 9. Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi said that the number of participating women’s teams would be enhanced in the next edition of the CM Punjab Champions League. “We are quite confident that the CM Punjab Champions League would help a lot in identifying highly talented young women cricketers.”

  • |

    Jimin’s shirt leads FIFA World Cup charity auction sales

    BTS have once again showcased their immense global influence after memorabilia worn during the 2026 FIFA World Cup final halftime show attracted impressive bids at a charity auction. One of the standout items was a shirt worn by BTS member Jimin during the halftime performance, which sold for an incredible $110,000. The singer wore the shirt while performing the group’s global hit Dynamite during the World Cup final between Argentina and Spain. The shirt emerged as one of the most sought-after pieces in the auction, finishing as the joint-highest-selling item. It matched the final sale price of the official match ball used in the 2026 FIFA World Cup final, with both items fetching $110,000. The charity auction featured a range of memorabilia connected to the tournament and its entertainment performances, drawing strong interest from collectors and fans around the world. Several other BTS-related items also attracted significant bids. A scarf worn by BTS member V during the halftime show sold for $46,200, while a jacket worn by Jungkook achieved the same final price of $46,200. The strong demand for the group’s memorabilia highlighted BTS’ enduring popularity and the willingness of fans to support charitable causes through exclusive collectibles. The auction also included a number of sports and entertainment items beyond BTS memorabilia. Among the notable sales was an Argentina national team jersey signed by football legend Lionel Messi. The jersey, which had previously been gifted to international music star Shakira, sold for $66,000, making it one of the auction’s top-selling sports items. Another highlight came from pop superstar Madonna, whose fingerless gloves worn during the opening performance of the World Cup halftime show were purchased for $41,800. The online charity auction ran for seven days and concluded on July 29, attracting bidders from 24 countries. Interest from around the globe helped the event raise a total of $652,630, reflecting strong international support for both football and music memorabilia. Organisers said all proceeds from the auction will go to the FIFA Global Citizen Education Fund, an initiative dedicated to expanding access to quality education for children and young people around the world. The fundraiser combines the global reach of football and entertainment to support educational opportunities in underserved communities. BTS’ participation in the World Cup halftime show was one of the event’s most talked-about entertainment moments. Their performance of Dynamite, one of the group’s biggest international hits, received widespread attention from fans worldwide and further cemented their status as one of the world’s most influential music acts. The remarkable sale prices achieved by Jimin’s shirt, V’s scarf and Jungkook’s jacket underline the extraordinary demand for BTS memorabilia. At the same time, the success of the charity auction demonstrates how music, sports and philanthropy can come together to make a meaningful impact, with fans and collectors contributing generously to support education initiatives across the globe.

  • |

    Pakistan hockey revival needs patience, says PHF Selection Chief

    Pakistan’s dream of restoring its former hockey glory will not become a reality overnight, according to Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Selection Committee Chairman Samiullah Khan, who believes the revival process requires at least two to three years of consistent effort. Speaking about the federation’s ongoing reforms, the legendary Olympian urged hockey fans and the media to remain patient and judge the progress through long-term development rather than immediate results. Samiullah praised the current PHF administration, led by President Mohyuddin Ahmad Wani, for taking practical steps aimed at rebuilding the country’s national sport. He said the federation has restarted Under-18, Under-21 and senior national squads, creating fresh opportunities for talented young players to progress into the international arena. He revealed that both the men’s and women’s national teams are receiving equal attention, including structured training camps, improved financial support and enhanced welfare facilities. The federation has also introduced modern sports science tools, including GPS-based performance tracking, to monitor players’ fitness and match readiness while benefiting from the expertise of international-standard coaches. According to Samiullah, significant improvements have also been made in players’ accommodation, logistics and overall training environment, reflecting the federation’s commitment to building a professional system capable of competing at the highest level. Despite the encouraging developments, the former hockey star stressed that Pakistan’s decline occurred over many years and cannot be reversed instantly. “Hockey’s revival is a long-term process,” he said, adding that expecting quick victories would be unrealistic. Instead, he urged stakeholders to focus on the quality of the rebuilding process, expressing confidence that the federation is moving in the right direction. Samiullah also appealed to supporters, former players and the media to stand behind the national teams and the PHF management. He said continued backing would help ensure that the investment being made at the grassroots level eventually translates into strong international performances and a return to Pakistan’s historic status as one of world hockey’s leading nations.

  • |

    Eggs fly in Kosovo parliament as political crisis …

    PRISTINA: Kosovo’s parliament descended into chaos after opposition lawmaker Time Kadrijaj threw eggs toward acting Prime Minister Albin Kurti during a heated session, highlighting the deep political divisions gripping the country. Kadrijaj, a member of the Alliance for the Future of Kosovo, reportedly threw four eggs in Kurti’s direction while shouting “shame” as lawmakers debated the stalled formation of parliamentary institutions. The dramatic confrontation prompted security personnel and other lawmakers to intervene, and the session was suspended. The incident came after Kurti asked lawmakers for additional time to continue negotiations before proposing a candidate for the speaker of parliament. Kosovo has remained caught in a political deadlock following the June snap elections, with disagreements among political parties preventing the new institutions from being fully established. Kurti’s request for more time has angered opposition parties, which argue that the constitutional deadline has already expired. They have questioned the legality of continuing the parliamentary session under the circumstances. The confrontation inside parliament underscored the increasingly tense political atmosphere in Kosovo, where repeated disagreements have delayed key constitutional and institutional processes. Despite the disruption, Kurti appeared to remain composed. Reports said he indicated that he was willing to face criticism if it helped bring political rivals to the negotiating table. The political impasse follows June’s parliamentary election, in which Kurti’s Vetëvendosje movement emerged as the largest political force but failed to secure enough support to move forward without cooperation from other parties. Kosovo has experienced repeated political instability in recent years, with disagreements over the formation of institutions contributing to uncertainty over the country’s political direction. The egg-throwing incident has now become a striking symbol of that frustration, turning an already tense parliamentary dispute into an extraordinary scene that quickly attracted international attention. For Kosovo, however, the bigger issue remains unresolved: whether political parties can overcome their differences and break the institutional deadlock before the crisis deepens further.

  • | |

    ‘I got so much love’, Sunny Deol on Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor visit

    Bollywood actor Sunny Deol has recalled his visit to the Kartarpur Corridor, saying he received considerable affection in Pakistan despite the political tensions between the two neighbouring countries. Deol made the remarks while promoting his latest film, Batwara (1947), which was released in India and several other countries on Friday. During a recent interview, the actor was asked whether he had ever travelled to Pakistan. Deol clarified that he had never formally visited Pakistan, but had the opportunity to travel to the Kartarpur Corridor when it was opened. As the corridor falls within his parliamentary constituency, he was included in a delegation that visited Kartarpur. Recalling the experience, Deol said he was surprised by the warmth he encountered on the Pakistani side. “I received a lot of love in Pakistan,” the actor said, adding that members of the military also expressed affection and spoke to him about his films. According to Deol, some of those he met told him they admired him but asked him not to make films portraying Pakistan negatively because they felt a strong connection with him as an actor. Deol said his response was that he was only performing a character in films and that the views of a fictional character should not necessarily be confused with his personal beliefs. The actor also spoke about the wider human dimension of relations between India and Pakistan. He said people naturally love their own countries but argued that innocent civilians should never be targeted. His comments come as Deol promotes Batwara (1947), a film dealing with the turbulent period surrounding the Partition of British India. The Kartarpur Corridor, which links India with the Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Pakistan, has long been viewed as an important religious and people-to-people connection between the two countries. Deol’s recollection has attracted attention because of his long association with patriotic and action-oriented Bollywood roles, some of which have featured strong anti-Pakistan themes. His latest remarks, however, offered a more personal perspective, highlighting how an encounter across the border left him with memories of warmth and affection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *