rani mukerji honoured
|

Rani Mukerji honoured in Melbourne after three decades in film

Rani Mukerji continues adding accolades to her three-decade-long career. On Friday, August 14, the 48-year-old actress received a Special Citation for Excellence in Acting at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne.

The honour recognised Mukerji’s broader contribution to Indian cinema, particularly her role in bringing Hindi-language stories to international audiences. Organisers specifically highlighted her work in socially significant films, alongside her humanitarian efforts.

Reflecting on the milestone, Mukerji admitted she never imagined her work would resonate so strongly in a country as far from home as Australia. She said stepping into Bollywood as a young girl came with no expectation of this kind of global reach.

She expressed gratitude that her films and characters had carried her across oceans over the years. According to her, being embraced so warmly by Australian audiences remains one of the most meaningful parts of her career.

Mukerji described entertaining audiences worldwide as the greatest gift her profession has given her. She said Australia has consistently welcomed both her and Indian cinema with genuine warmth over the years.

She added that storytelling has a unique way of connecting cultures without needing any kind of translation. According to her, emotions like love, laughter and hope speak a language that transcends borders entirely.

Mukerji also reflected on how deeply her roles have shaped her as both an actor and a person. She explained that a performance only truly matters once it reaches someone else’s heart.

She said knowing her work has travelled so far and stayed relevant for three decades feels genuinely humbling. According to her, every character she’s played has quietly influenced who she’s become over the years.

She described playing women who laughed loudly, loved deeply and never stopped believing in themselves as one of the most rewarding parts of her journey. Mukerji said these roles didn’t just shape her craft, but helped her grow as a person too.

Looking ahead, Mukerji is reportedly set to reunite with Shah Rukh Khan in his upcoming action-thriller “King,” releasing worldwide on December 24, 2026. She’s expected to play the mother of Suhana Khan’s character, joining an ensemble that includes Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Punjab PMS officers oppose plan to create 101 AAC …

    LAHORE: The Provincial Management Service (PMS) Officers Association has strongly opposed the Punjab government’s proposal to create 101 new Additional Assistant Commissioner (AAC) posts, describing the move as unnecessary and harmful to the existing administrative structure. The association argued that the AAC posts had been abolished years ago and their revival was not justified, particularly after the establishment of the Punjab Enforcement and Regulatory Authority (PERA), which was created to strengthen enforcement and regulatory functions across the province. During an executive committee meeting chaired by Association President Qamar Zaman Qaisrani, members unanimously decided to raise their concerns with senior government officials. A delegation of the association is expected to meet the Punjab services secretary and the additional chief secretary to seek a review of the proposed decision. The association warned that if its concerns remain unaddressed, PMS officers across Punjab will begin a province-wide protest campaign. As part of the first phase, officers plan to wear black armbands while performing official duties to register their protest against the government’s decision. PMS officers believe the creation of the new posts would place a significant financial burden on the provincial treasury. According to the association’s estimates, establishing one Additional Assistant Commissioner post, including official facilities, office infrastructure, staff, transport and operational expenses, would cost approximately Rs46.8 million. They claim that creating all 101 posts would require nearly Rs4.73 billion initially, in addition to recurring expenditures on salaries, allowances and other administrative costs. The association further expressed concerns over what it described as long-standing issues within the provincial bureaucracy. These include delays in promotion boards, alleged discrimination in transfers and postings, and the appointment of junior officers to positions traditionally reserved for senior officials. Former administrative secretary Yawar Mehdi also commented on the proposal, saying that efforts to improve public service delivery were welcome if they genuinely strengthened governance. However, he stressed that introducing additional administrative positions should not weaken the existing civil service structure or negatively affect the career progression of Provincial Management Service officers.

  • | |

    Brooklyn Beckham and Nicola Peltz reportedly embra…

    Brooklyn Beckham and Nicola Peltz are reportedly redefining how they celebrate their marriage by marking the anniversary of their 2025 vow renewal instead of the date of their lavish 2022 wedding. According to new reports, the couple no longer looks back fondly on their original Palm Beach wedding and have decided to make their private vow renewal the milestone they celebrate each year. The reported shift has sparked fresh speculation about the reasons behind the change, especially amid ongoing rumors of family tensions involving the Beckham family. (hellomagazine.com⁠ and people.com⁠) Sources claim that Brooklyn, 27, and Nicola, 31, see their 2025 vow renewal as a more meaningful reflection of their relationship. Unlike their star-studded wedding, which attracted global media attention, the renewal ceremony was reportedly a quiet and deeply personal occasion attended by only a small group of loved ones. An insider told The Sun that the couple now considers the vow renewal to be the true celebration of their marriage. According to the source, the original wedding has become associated with difficult memories, while the intimate ceremony allowed them to focus solely on each other and their commitment. (thesun.co.uk⁠) Brooklyn and Nicola tied the knot in April 2022 at the Peltz family estate in Palm Beach, Florida. The lavish event made headlines around the world but was later overshadowed by reports of disagreements within the Beckham family, particularly involving Brooklyn’s mother, Victoria Beckham. Although members of the family have repeatedly dismissed claims of a lasting feud, speculation has continued to follow the couple over the years. (people.com⁠) Neither Brooklyn nor Nicola has publicly commented on the latest reports about their anniversary tradition. However, the pair have consistently shared affectionate tributes to one another on social media, often describing each other as best friends and expressing gratitude for their marriage. The reported decision reflects a growing trend among some couples who choose to celebrate meaningful milestones beyond their wedding day. For Brooklyn and Nicola, the vow renewal is said to represent a fresh chapter in their relationship, free from outside pressures and public scrutiny. Despite ongoing rumors surrounding family dynamics, those close to the couple say they remain focused on building their future together. Brooklyn has frequently spoken about his admiration for Nicola, while she has publicly supported his personal and professional endeavors. As neither the Beckham nor Peltz families have addressed the latest claims, the reports remain unconfirmed. Still, the story has generated significant interest among fans, many of whom have praised the idea of celebrating the moment that feels most meaningful rather than simply following tradition. Whether or not the reports prove accurate, Brooklyn Beckham and Nicola Peltz continue to show that they are determined to define their marriage on their own terms. If the vow renewal has indeed become their new anniversary tradition, it marks another example of the couple choosing personal meaning over public expectation as they continue their journey together.

  • |

    Pakistan’s Umair Arif wins Hong Kong Junior Squash Open U17 title

    HONG KONG: Pakistan’s young squash sensation Umair Arif produced a fighting performance to capture the Under-17 title at the Hong Kong Junior Squash Open on Sunday, overcoming England’s Luke McBride in a thrilling five-game final. Arif recovered from a slow start to defeat McBride 3-2, showing composure and determination when the championship was on the line. The Pakistani teenager struggled in the opening game, losing 4-11 as McBride established early control. But Arif quickly turned the contest around, winning the next two games 11-6 and 11-5 to move within one game of the title. McBride refused to surrender and responded strongly in the fourth game, edging Arif 11-9 to level the match at 2-2 and force a decisive fifth game. With the title hanging in the balance, Arif produced his best squash of the match. He controlled the final game and secured an emphatic 11-4 victory to complete the comeback and lift the Under-17 trophy. The victory adds another promising achievement to Arif’s growing junior career. He has previously represented Pakistan at both the World Junior Squash Championships and Asian Junior Squash Championships, gaining valuable experience against some of the best young players in the sport. Arif is also a fellow of the Bilquis and Abdul Razak Dawood Foundation, which supports promising young talent. His latest triumph will further raise expectations around his future, particularly as Pakistan continues to nurture a new generation of squash players. The hard-fought Hong Kong final was a reminder of Arif’s fighting spirit — and his ability to respond when the pressure is at its highest.

  • | |

    Dar, Iran FM reaffirm diplomatic cooperation

    Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar held a meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Council of Foreign Ministers’ meeting, where both leaders reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening bilateral relations and promoting peace through diplomacy. During the meeting, the two foreign ministers reviewed the evolving regional situation, particularly rising tensions in the Middle East. They discussed recent developments affecting regional security and agreed that continued dialogue, restraint and diplomatic engagement remain the most effective path toward achieving lasting peace and stability. Dar reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to maintaining close and friendly relations with Iran. He stressed the importance of avoiding further escalation and called on all parties to resolve differences through peaceful negotiations. He also highlighted the need to build upon the understandings reached under the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in June 2026, which aimed to encourage diplomatic engagement and reduce regional tensions. The Pakistani foreign minister expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the region and said cooperation among neighbouring countries is essential to preserve peace, protect economic interests and ensure regional stability. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi appreciated Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts to reduce tensions and promote constructive dialogue. He thanked Pakistan for its continued support in regional peace initiatives and acknowledged Islamabad’s role in facilitating the safe return of Iranian fishermen and crew members, including individuals whose vessels had been intercepted during recent regional tensions. Both leaders agreed to maintain close coordination and regular consultations on regional and international issues of mutual interest. They reiterated their shared commitment to strengthening cooperation for peace, security and prosperity in the region. The meeting took place as tensions between the United States and Iran continue to escalate. Recent military exchanges have increased concerns about wider instability in the Middle East, with continued air strikes and retaliatory actions raising fears of a broader regional conflict. The situation has also affected key international shipping routes, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea, increasing concerns over global energy supplies and international trade. The uncertainty has contributed to higher oil prices and renewed fears about the impact on the global economy. In recent days, US President Donald Trump warned of stronger military action against Iran following attacks on commercial shipping in the Red Sea. Iranian officials, however, have continued to reject the accusations and have criticised recent US policies, including proposals concerning frozen Iranian assets. Against this backdrop, Pakistan has continued to advocate dialogue and diplomacy as the only sustainable solution to regional disputes. Pakistani officials maintain that peaceful engagement remains essential to preventing further escalation and ensuring long-term stability across the Middle East.

  • |

    Anam Uzair conquers Pakistan’s first 100km trail

    Pakistani mountaineer and trail runner Anam Uzair has achieved another major milestone by winning the country’s first 100-kilometre Galiyat Mountain Trail Ultra Marathon. The demanding race took participants through challenging mountain terrain, dense forests and areas exposed to natural and wildlife-related risks. Anam delivered an outstanding performance to secure victory in the gruelling competition. Speaking about her achievement, Anam said she was dedicating the victory to all Pakistani women, especially female runners. She said she hoped to take on more difficult and unique challenges in the future and represent Pakistan on the international stage. Anam acknowledged that completing the 100km trail was far from easy. She said she was aware of the dangers involved in mountain activities and trail running. According to her, participants had to remain alert to severe weather conditions, including the possibility of lightning. She said trail running in Galiyat also presented a significant challenge because of the region’s wildlife. Recalling one of her training experiences, Anam said she had previously completed a 40km trial run as preparation for the ultra marathon. During that run, she spotted a leopard sitting on her route about 200 feet away. She said the experience initially highlighted the dangers of running through the mountainous terrain. However, facing such challenges gradually helped her overcome her fear. Anam said she now trains every day and considers physical fitness an essential part of life. She urged people to make regular exercise and training part of their lifestyle, regardless of whether they participate in competitive events. She said fitness should not be limited to professional athletes or runners. Anam also revealed that she already has another challenging goal in mind for the future. She said she intends to take on the next difficult challenge for Pakistan and hopes to continue bringing recognition to the country through mountaineering and trail running. Her victory in the inaugural 100km Galiyat Mountain Trail Ultra Marathon marks another significant achievement in Pakistan’s growing endurance sports community.

  • Junk food companies caught suing the laws meant to stop them

    The World Health Organization says something troubling is happening behind the scenes of the global obesity fight. Many of the same companies profiting from junk food sales are also dragging governments to court. Their goal is to block laws designed to curb the crisis. A joint investigation by The Guardian and Lighthouse Reports dug into this pattern. Academics and media groups across four continents took part. Together, they uncovered 235 lawsuits filed against governments over ultra-processed food policies. The cases span 2010 to 2025. Countries hit hardest include Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, the US, and the UK. Labelling rules were the most challenged policies. Junk food taxes came next, followed by marketing restrictions. Food companies did not fare well in court. They lost about 75 percent of decided cases. But WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says the scoreboard misses the real damage. It is the time these lawsuits consume that hurts most. Combined, the litigation added up to nearly 600 years. Each case dragged on for two and a half years on average. The costs go beyond legal bills. Governments spend billions on healthcare and courtroom battles alike. Tedros calls the resulting hesitation a “regulatory chill.” Long, expensive lawsuits make officials think twice before trying similar reforms. Researchers managed to trace plaintiffs in many of these cases. Of those identified, 38 percent came from just eight companies. The list includes Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Mondelēz, Kellogg’s, Danone, Ferrero, Xignux, and Heartland Food Products Group. Some of these firms went a step further. They asked courts to keep their names hidden entirely. That secrecy tactic is not new. Researchers say it echoes moves once made by tobacco and alcohol companies. Both industries faced similar scrutiny in the past and used the same playbook. Tedros gave credit where it is due. He noted some companies have reformulated their products in good faith. Still, he insists that’s not enough while lawsuits keep piling up. There is also a wealth gap at play. Most legal battles are happening in richer nations. Poorer countries face the same obesity burden. But they have far fewer resources to defend new health policies if challenged in court. The scale of the crisis makes all this urgent. Nearly a billion people worldwide are currently living with obesity, per WHO estimates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *