rani mukerji honoured
|

Rani Mukerji honoured in Melbourne after three decades in film

Rani Mukerji continues adding accolades to her three-decade-long career. On Friday, August 14, the 48-year-old actress received a Special Citation for Excellence in Acting at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne.

The honour recognised Mukerji’s broader contribution to Indian cinema, particularly her role in bringing Hindi-language stories to international audiences. Organisers specifically highlighted her work in socially significant films, alongside her humanitarian efforts.

Reflecting on the milestone, Mukerji admitted she never imagined her work would resonate so strongly in a country as far from home as Australia. She said stepping into Bollywood as a young girl came with no expectation of this kind of global reach.

She expressed gratitude that her films and characters had carried her across oceans over the years. According to her, being embraced so warmly by Australian audiences remains one of the most meaningful parts of her career.

Mukerji described entertaining audiences worldwide as the greatest gift her profession has given her. She said Australia has consistently welcomed both her and Indian cinema with genuine warmth over the years.

She added that storytelling has a unique way of connecting cultures without needing any kind of translation. According to her, emotions like love, laughter and hope speak a language that transcends borders entirely.

Mukerji also reflected on how deeply her roles have shaped her as both an actor and a person. She explained that a performance only truly matters once it reaches someone else’s heart.

She said knowing her work has travelled so far and stayed relevant for three decades feels genuinely humbling. According to her, every character she’s played has quietly influenced who she’s become over the years.

She described playing women who laughed loudly, loved deeply and never stopped believing in themselves as one of the most rewarding parts of her journey. Mukerji said these roles didn’t just shape her craft, but helped her grow as a person too.

Looking ahead, Mukerji is reportedly set to reunite with Shah Rukh Khan in his upcoming action-thriller “King,” releasing worldwide on December 24, 2026. She’s expected to play the mother of Suhana Khan’s character, joining an ensemble that includes Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Meghan Markle ready to fight back after cheating rumours over Prince Harry surface

    Royal insiders have pushed back against cheating rumours surrounding Prince Harry, while revealing that Meghan Markle is ready to fight back against the claims. According to a report by New Idea, Lady Colin Campbell made unproven allegations about an alleged affair involving Harry. The claims first surfaced on The Nerve podcast on July 23rd and quickly spread online. The outlet’s source claimed Meghan had discovered messages between Harry and a woman who also lives in Montecito. According to the report, Meghan allegedly saw the woman’s texts on Harry’s phone. Insiders close to the couple were quick to shut down the rumours. They insisted there is no truth to the claims, adding that Meghan and Harry remain firmly united despite the noise. Still, the source noted a difference in how each of them wants to handle it. Meghan reportedly wants to address the rumours head-on, while Harry would rather stay silent and let it pass. One insider pointed out that this is not the first time Lady Colin Campbell has made outlandish claims about the couple. Over the past five years, she has also alleged that Meghan didn’t give birth to either Archie or Lilibet. That history, the source suggested, may explain why her latest claims about a mistress and leaked texts spread so fast online. However, the insider found it strange that anyone would claim Harry and the woman were seen together publicly in an age where everyone carries a smartphone. As for how the couple plans to respond, insiders say Harry prefers to stay above this kind of gossip, given his royal background. Meghan, though, is said to feel the sting more personally. The source described the situation as distressing for her, since she reportedly wanted to shut down this narrative years ago, long before it resurfaced now. The rumours arrive at a time when Harry and Meghan continue to face intense scrutiny in the media. Whether this latest claim fades quietly or continues to build remains to be seen.

  • | |

    Pakistan seeks $10b in US backstop facility

    Pakistan has formally requested a 10 billion dollar exchange stabilisation facility from the United States to boost its foreign exchange reserves and stabilise its economy, according to a source familiar with the development. The request, addressed to US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, seeks a Bilateral Exchange Stabilisation Support Facility with a maturity period of up to five years. This move follows Pakistan’s involvement in facilitating negotiations regarding the Iran war, an effort that elevated the country’s diplomatic standing and fueled expectations of economic support from Washington and international partners. If approved, the 10 billion dollar facility would help replenish Pakistan’s central bank reserves, reduce downward pressure on the rupee, and decrease dependency on multilateral lenders. It would also provide financial flexibility as Islamabad continues implementing strict fiscal and monetary measures mandated under its 7 billion dollar International Monetary Fund programme. These IMF-guided measures have required politically challenging tax hikes, spending cuts, and structural reforms to ensure fiscal discipline. Neither the Pakistani Ministry of Finance nor the US Treasury immediately responded to requests for comment regarding the proposal. US Exchange Stabilisation Facilities, typically administered through the Exchange Stabilisation Fund, are rare financial mechanisms that provide foreign governments with dollars, currency swaps, or guarantees. These backstops differ from the Federal Reserve’s permanent standing swap lines with major foreign central banks. A 2025 financial package provided to Argentina represented the first new exchange stabilisation facility granted to a foreign government since Uruguay in 2002, alongside Mexico’s long-standing swap agreement dating back to the 1940s. Pakistan narrowly avoided a debt default in 2023 by securing a 3 billion dollar IMF standby arrangement, which was later succeeded by the current 7 billion dollar Extended Fund Facility. However, its foreign reserves remain heavily dependent on official loans, debt rollovers, and financial deposits from bilateral partners like Saudi Arabia and China. This reliance leaves the country vulnerable to delays in IMF disbursements and shifts in bilateral support, as demonstrated in April when Pakistan repaid approximately 3.5 billion dollars to the United Arab Emirates, representing a fifth of its reserves, while receiving 3 billion dollars in fresh backing from Saudi Arabia. Despite these vulnerabilities, Pakistan’s central bank projected in January that its foreign exchange reserves could approach their 2021 historical high, reaching 20 billion dollars by the close of 2026. In April, rating agency Fitch noted that compliance with the IMF programme has enhanced Pakistan’s funding capacity, while rebuilt foreign exchange buffers offer a cushion against economic shocks stemming from Middle East instability. However, Fitch cautioned that escalating global energy costs and potential supply disruptions could rapidly erode these reserve buffers. Furthermore, foreign direct investment in Pakistan remains constrained due to recurring external account crises, policy shifts, security concerns, historical restrictions on profit repatriation, and a narrow export base. The nation’s credit rating remains firmly in speculative-grade territory, limiting access to international capital markets and keeping borrowing costs high. To navigate these economic pressures, Islamabad has sought deeper engagement with the Trump administration through various commercial and investment initiatives. These efforts include signing a stablecoin agreement for cross-border transactions with an affiliate of World Liberty Financial, advancing a memorandum of understanding to redevelop the Pakistan International Airlines-owned Roosevelt Hotel in New York with the US government, and encouraging US investment in the domestic mining sector, where the US Export-Import Bank announced 1.2 billion dollars in financing for the Reko Diq project.

  • | |

    Mechanic nabbed in child apprentice abuse case

    VEHARI: A motorcycle mechanic has been arrested in Punjab’s Vehari district after videos allegedly showing him assaulting two young brothers working as apprentices at his repair shop spread widely on social media, prompting swift police action. According to the incident took place within the jurisdiction of Karam Pur Police Station. The suspect, identified as Israr Ahmad, allegedly attacked the two boys—nine-year-old Faizan and 10-year-old Ali Ahmar—over what authorities described as a minor dispute while they were learning motorcycle repair skills at his workshop. Police said the frightened children ran to a nearby public bathhouse in an attempt to escape, but the mechanic allegedly chased them and continued the assault there. The incident gained widespread attention after videos of the alleged abuse went viral online. Following the public outcry, Vehari District Police Officer Tasawur Iqbal ordered immediate legal action against the suspect. Acting on the directive, Station House Officer Muhammad Zulfiqar Jatt and his team registered a case based on the complaint of a police official and arrested the accused. Authorities said the suspect has been booked under relevant sections of the Pakistan Penal Code, including charges related to criminal intimidation and child abuse, while investigators continue to examine the case. District Police Officer Tasawur Iqbal said violence against children would not be tolerated under any circumstances, adding that strict legal action would be taken against anyone found responsible for abusing minors or taking the law into their own hands.

  • | |

    Alia Bhatt leads female celebrities in India’s brand rankings

    Actor Alia Bhatt has emerged as India’s highest-ranked female celebrity in the Kroll Celebrity Brand Valuation Report 2025, securing sixth place overall with a brand value of $93.9 million. While Shah Rukh Khan retained his position as India’s most valuable celebrity brand, Alia topped the list among female stars, reflecting her strong commercial appeal and endorsement value. According to the report, Deepika Padukone ranked seventh with a brand value of $89.2 million, while Alia’s husband, Ranbir Kapoor, secured 10th place with a brand valuation of $80 million. Among the rising stars, Rashmika Mandanna claimed 12th position with a brand value of $75.2 million. Veteran actress Kareena Kapoor Khan ranked 15th with a brand value of $61.8 million, followed by Kiara Advani in 16th place at $51.9 million. The report also highlighted the growing commercial influence of younger actresses. Kriti Sanon secured 18th place with a brand value of $50.2 million, supported by the success of her skincare venture, while Ananya Panday ranked 19th with a valuation of $48.5 million, driven by her partnerships with several international brands

  • | | |

    Iran says Pakistan ties gaining greater importance

    TEHRAN: Iran has described its relationship with Pakistan as increasingly important, saying Islamabad has played a significant role as a mediator since the outbreak of the regional conflict. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the two neighbouring countries were maintaining close diplomatic contacts. He also confirmed that Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf had been invited to visit Islamabad. Baghaei said the two officials would travel to Pakistan at a suitable time. He did not announce a specific date for the visit. He described reciprocal visits between the two countries as a natural part of their growing bilateral relationship. The Iranian official also played down concerns that the recently signed defence agreement between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye was aimed at Tehran. Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye signed the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement on August 7. The agreement seeks to strengthen collective defence cooperation and provides for a joint response if any member comes under attack. Baghaei said Tehran did not consider the agreement a direct threat to Iran. He said regional countries were increasingly seeking security arrangements based on their own regional realities rather than relying entirely on external powers. He maintained that regional cooperation could contribute to stability if such arrangements remained inclusive and focused on preventing conflict. Baghaei also said Iran was not prepared to resume direct negotiations with the United States while Tehran believed Washington was violating an interim agreement. The Iranian government has also linked the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to a number of demands. These include compensation for damage caused during the conflict and an end to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports. Meanwhile, Iran and Oman are continuing discussions on arrangements for commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Baghaei said the talks were progressing in a constructive manner. He said the two sides had reached an understanding on a proposed map for shipping traffic and were working on several technical details. According to the Iranian official, the proposed arrangement would establish mechanisms for safer maritime movement. It would also address environmental protection and maritime crimes. He stressed that the discussions with Oman were focused on ensuring safe international shipping and were separate from broader political disputes. Baghaei nevertheless reiterated that Tehran would not allow the full reopening of the strategic waterway unless its conditions concerning Washington were addressed. In a separate development, Iran has appointed former Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander Mohsen Rezaei to a senior position in the Supreme National Security Council. Rezaei has replaced Mohammad Baqer Zolqadr as secretary of the body responsible for coordinating Iran’s security and foreign policy. No official reason was immediately given for the change. It also remains unclear whether the appointment will lead to any major shift in Iran’s security policy. Rezaei, 71, commanded the Revolutionary Guards from 1981 to 1997. He later served for more than two decades as secretary of Iran’s Expediency Discernment Council and also held the position of vice president for economic affairs. Iran’s Supreme National Security Council brings together senior military, intelligence and government officials. It is formally chaired by the president, while the supreme leader retains ultimate authority over major state matters. A separate decree appointed Rezaei as the supreme leader’s representative on the council. Zolqadr was instead named as a political adviser. The developments come as Iran faces heightened regional tensions and continues efforts to manage its relations with neighbouring countries and major international powers.

  • | |

    26 personnel killed: AJK police blame JAAC

    Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Police have accused the proscribed Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) of deliberately targeting law enforcement agencies during recent unrest in the region. AJK Police spokesperson and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Riaz Mughal made the allegations during a press conference on Wednesday. He said 26 police and other law enforcement personnel had been killed in incidents of unrest across AJK during 2026. He claimed that another 157 personnel had suffered serious injuries, while 629 others sustained minor injuries. Mughal did not provide details of each incident linked to the reported casualties. He questioned how the JAAC protests could be described as peaceful if law enforcement personnel were being killed and injured. The police spokesperson said state institutions did not target people without reason. He claimed that security personnel took action against individuals who attacked law enforcement agencies. His comments came after clashes between protesters and security personnel in Rawalakot and Mirpur earlier this week. The incidents reportedly resulted in several casualties. The JAAC has been protesting for several weeks over various public demands. One of its key demands is the abolition of 12 seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly reserved for refugees from Indian-administered Kashmir. Mughal alleged that protesters had attacked police and Rangers personnel during the unrest. He also claimed that some people had been held captive and that their identity documents had been taken. The SSP urged people to visit AJK and observe the situation independently. He said the nature of the protests and the activities of those participating should be assessed impartially. Mughal further alleged that some protesters were equipped with firearms and claimed that police and other law enforcement personnel had been targeted by snipers. During the briefing, police officials displayed weapons they said had been recovered during operations against protesters. Mughal claimed the weapons had been used against law enforcement personnel. He also referred to previous clashes involving the JAAC. According to Mughal, a confrontation on May 11, 2024, occurred when police attempted to stop protesters travelling towards Muzaffarabad. He said one police officer was killed and around 60 personnel suffered serious injuries. He added that 174 other policemen sustained minor injuries. The SSP also cited unrest in October 2025. He claimed that three police officers were killed, 52 personnel suffered serious injuries and another 357 were injured in the incidents. Mughal described the protesters involved in violent incidents as anti-state elements. He alleged that some were involved in activities that amounted to terrorism. He further claimed that around 70 per cent of the protesters were criminals, including alleged drug dealers who had joined the protests under the JAAC banner. The allegations were made by the police official and were not independently verified. The police spokesperson’s remarks came amid heightened tensions in AJK following several days of protests and clashes. The government has also alleged that militant elements linked to a foreign agenda and allegedly backed by Indian funding were attempting to fuel unrest in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *