lebanese troops move
| |

Lebanese troops move into first pilot zone as Isra…

Lebanon’s army began deploying troops into a designated pilot zone in the country’s south on Tuesday, following an Israeli withdrawal from part of the area under a framework agreement reached last month with US backing.

The army command said engineering units entered the village of Zawtar al Gharbiyeh in Nabatieh district on Tuesday morning. Later, the command reported that Israeli forces had opened fire near the troops. Israel’s military said its soldiers fired warning shots after Lebanese troops crossed into what Israel considers a security zone.

The pilot zone arrangement envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from a limited portion of territory occupied during the conflict with Hezbollah, alongside the disarmament of the Iran backed Lebanese group. Tuesday’s deployment began ahead of a scheduled meeting in Washington between President Donald Trump and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun.

Aoun was expected to press Trump to push Israel toward withdrawing from the remainder of southern Lebanon and to back the Lebanese army as it works to establish full control over areas currently under Hezbollah’s influence. Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Aoun said he told Trump he needed two things from him, political support and backing for the Lebanese Armed Forces. Trump, speaking alongside Aoun, pledged that the United States would help a country he said had been hit hard for decades, adding that Lebanon has been badly treated and deserves proper treatment and respect going forward.

The US State Department announced Monday afternoon that pilot zone operations had begun in Zawtar al Gharbiyeh along with two other villages, Froun and Srifa, consistent with the trilateral framework agreed by Israel, Lebanon and the United States at the end of June. The department described the development as a milestone stemming directly from talks held last week between Israeli and Lebanese representatives in Rome.

Later Monday, an Israeli military official confirmed that Israeli forces would adjust their posture in one of the pilot areas to allow the Lebanese army to carry out its mission, while also protecting Israeli soldiers and preserving the military’s right to self defense and to eliminate threats. The official said the goal of the pilot programme and the broader agreement remains the disarmament of Hezbollah and the removal of its illegal weapons, adding that Israeli forces would stay in the security zone, a strip of occupied Lebanese territory roughly ten kilometers deep along the border, for as long as necessary to protect communities in northern Israel.

On Tuesday, Lebanon’s army command said its units began deploying to Zawtar al Gharbiyeh based on ongoing coordination with the Military Coordination Group for Lebanon, the trilateral body established to support implementation of the framework. The command urged Lebanese citizens to avoid traveling to the village until the security situation stabilizes and to follow instructions from deployed military units for their own safety.

Later Tuesday, the army command said Israeli forces opened fire near these units and warned that the incident hinders progress on deployment across the pilot zones. Israel’s military said its soldiers fired warning shots into the air after Lebanese troops and an engineering vehicle crossed roughly 150 meters into the security zone and breached barriers in the neighboring area of Zawtar al Sharqiyeh. The military said Lebanese troops then withdrew from the area and that no injuries occurred.

The Lebanese army said its troops were already carrying out missions in the nearby villages of Froun and Srifa following Monday’s announcement from Washington. An Israeli source told a regional newspaper that no Israeli troops remained stationed in those villages.

Separately on Tuesday, Lebanon’s state news agency reported that Israeli forces caused two large explosions near the villages of Beit Yahoun and Kounine in Bint Jbeil district, along with blasts from Israeli controlled demolitions in the town of Majdal Zoun in Tyre district. In areas still under Israeli occupation, numerous villages have suffered extensive destruction from strikes and demolitions. Israel’s military says it has been dismantling Hezbollah infrastructure, though human rights organizations have said some of the destruction amounts to deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure, potentially constituting a war crime.

Hezbollah has rejected the trilateral agreement between Lebanon’s government, Israel and the United States, saying provisions linking Israeli withdrawal to its own disarmament cross what it called all red lines. Israel has said it will not fully withdraw from Lebanon until Hezbollah disarms completely.

Trump said the United States has concrete plans to help Lebanon build the capacity needed to disarm Hezbollah, though he offered no specific details. He also said the Lebanese army is becoming increasingly self sufficient, and added that he would speak directly with Hezbollah representatives if Aoun requested it.

Lebanon became entangled in the broader war between Israel, the United States and Iran on March 2, when Hezbollah launched rockets into Israel in retaliation for a strike that killed Iran’s supreme leader. Israel responded with a bombing campaign across Lebanon and an invasion of a significant portion of the country’s south. More than 4,300 people have died in Lebanon since then, including nearly 800 children, women and medics, according to Lebanon’s health ministry. Israeli authorities say 37 Israeli soldiers and four civilians have been killed on both sides of the border during the conflict.

The pilot zone deployment marks the first tangible step toward implementing the trilateral framework since its signing, though continued friction between Lebanese and Israeli forces on the ground, along with Hezbollah’s outright rejection of the agreement’s terms, points to a difficult path ahead for a plan meant to end one of the region’s longest running conflicts.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Karachi issues traffic plan for Chehlum procession

    KARACHI: The Karachi Traffic Police has announced a comprehensive traffic management plan ahead of the central Chehlum procession on Tuesday, urging commuters to use alternative routes as several major roads will remain closed during the religious event. According to the traffic arrangements, the main Chehlum procession will begin from Nishtar Park at 9:00am and proceed along its traditional route. M.A. Jinnah Road will remain closed to regular traffic for the duration of the procession to ensure the safety of participants and maintain security. Authorities have prepared a series of traffic diversions to minimize disruption across the city. Vehicles traveling from Saddar towards Tower will be redirected through Preedy Street and I.I. Chundrigar Road, while motorists approaching from Shahrah-e-Quaideen will be diverted via Kashmir Road and People’s Chowrangi. Traffic from Korangi, Landhi and the National Highway will be routed through Rashid Minhas Road and the Super Highway. Commuters coming from Nazimabad will be able to use Lasbela, Garden and Nishtar Road, while traffic from Liaquatabad will be diverted from Lasbela Chowk towards Nazimabad No. 10. Motorists traveling from Hassan Square and Shahrah-e-Faisal have also been advised to follow designated diversion routes through Society Light Signal, Teen Hatti and Sher Shah Suri Road. Drivers using Jamshed Road toward Guru Mandir have been asked to use Bahadur Yar Jang Road or Soldier Bazaar Road as alternate routes. Traffic police further announced that heavy vehicles will not be allowed to enter Karachi from 10:00am until the conclusion of the procession. Parking will also be prohibited along the procession route, and any vehicle found violating the restrictions will be removed immediately. Chehlum of Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) and the martyrs of Karbala will be observed across the country on Tuesday with mourning processions and religious gatherings taking place under heightened security arrangements.

  • | |

    Marriyum Aurangzeb says Kashmiris have chosen PML-…

    Senior Punjab Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb has said that the people of Azad Jammu and Kashmir have already made their political choice in favour of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N). In a statement, Aurangzeb said Mirpur had given its verdict in favour of the PML-N on July 24. She linked the decision to the visit of PML-N leader Nawaz Sharif and party leader Maryam Nawaz to the city. According to Aurangzeb, the response from the people of Mirpur showed their support for the PML-N leadership. She said the people had made their choice clear through their political support. Aurangzeb said the PML-N’s electoral symbol, the lion, had also received strong support. She claimed that by voting for the lion symbol, the people had formally expressed their belief that the development of Azad Jammu and Kashmir was connected with the PML-N. She said the party was committed to the progress and development of the region. Aurangzeb maintained that the public response in different areas was an indication of growing support for the PML-N. The senior provincial minister also referred to the situation in Muzaffarabad. She said the people of Muzaffarabad had already announced their decision on July 21. Aurangzeb said the political choices made in Mirpur and Muzaffarabad reflected the direction of the election campaign. She suggested that the response from voters in both areas had strengthened the PML-N’s position. She further said August 2 would be an important day for the people of Azad Jammu and Kashmir. According to her, voters would use the lion symbol to formally announce their decision through the ballot. Aurangzeb urged Kashmiris to vote for the PML-N and support its leadership. She presented the party as a force for development and progress in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. The statement comes amid the ongoing electoral activity in the region. Political parties are campaigning to win the support of voters ahead of the final voting process. Aurangzeb’s remarks underline the PML-N’s focus on development as a central theme of its campaign. She said the people’s vote would determine the future political direction of Azad Jammu and Kashmir. The minister expressed confidence that voters would reaffirm their support for the PML-N on August 2 by voting for the lion symbol.

  • | |

    Naqvi briefs president Zardari on security as terr…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s evolving security landscape came under close review on Thursday as President Asif Ali Zardari met Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi to discuss the country’s law and order situation, with particular attention given to the security challenges in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan. The meeting, held at Bilawal House, focused on the government’s ongoing efforts to strengthen internal security and counter terrorism. During the briefing, Naqvi updated the president on the latest developments in both provinces, where security forces continue operations against militant groups and work to maintain peace in sensitive areas. According to officials, the interior minister outlined measures being implemented to improve coordination among security institutions and enhance the country’s counterterrorism strategy. The discussion also covered steps aimed at ensuring stability while addressing emerging security threats. Beyond security matters, the two leaders exchanged views on Pakistan’s current political environment. They discussed the prevailing political situation and reviewed issues considered important for national stability and governance. The meeting also included deliberations on matters of mutual national interest, reflecting the government’s continued focus on balancing security priorities with broader political and administrative challenges. Pakistan has witnessed renewed security concerns in recent months, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan, where authorities have intensified intelligence-based operations against militant networks. The federal government has repeatedly stressed that restoring peace and strengthening national security remain among its top priorities. Officials said consultations between the presidency and the interior ministry will continue as authorities monitor the security situation and assess further measures needed to safeguard public safety. The discussions underscored the importance of close coordination among state institutions in responding to evolving threats while maintaining political stability across the country.

  • | |

    Zendaya reveals why working with husband Tom Holla…

    Zendaya has shared the secret behind her effortless on-screen chemistry with husband Tom Holland, revealing that their strong friendship and deep understanding of one another make working together a truly enjoyable experience. The actress spoke about their relationship while attending the London premiere of Spider-Man: Brand New Day on Wednesday, where the couple made a glamorous appearance on the red carpet. Speaking during the premiere, Zendaya explained that working with Holland has always felt comfortable because their bond extends far beyond the movie set. According to the actress, years of friendship, trust and shared experiences have helped them develop a natural rhythm whenever they collaborate on a project. “It’s easy because we’re best friends,” Zendaya said, adding that their familiarity allows them to support each other throughout filming. Rather than creating distractions, their personal relationship has strengthened their ability to work as professional co-stars. The pair first met while filming Spider-Man: Homecoming in 2016, where they portrayed Peter Parker and MJ. Their friendship gradually evolved into a romance, and after years of keeping much of their relationship private, the couple eventually confirmed they were together. Since then, they have become one of Hollywood’s most admired couples, often praising one another in interviews while maintaining a relatively low profile away from the spotlight. Their latest appearance marked another milestone as they celebrated the upcoming release of Spider-Man: Brand New Day. Fans gathered outside the London venue hoping to catch a glimpse of the stars, who happily greeted supporters before posing together for photographers. Their coordinated looks and affectionate interactions quickly became one of the evening’s biggest talking points across social media. Zendaya also highlighted the importance of mutual respect when balancing marriage and work. She noted that both she and Holland understand the pressures that come with leading major film franchises, making it easier to support each other through demanding schedules, long filming days and worldwide promotional tours. Their shared experiences, she suggested, have created a partnership built on trust and understanding. Holland has previously echoed similar sentiments, describing Zendaya as someone he deeply admires both personally and professionally. Over the years, the actors have consistently celebrated each other’s achievements, whether attending premieres, award ceremonies or supporting new projects from the sidelines. Fans have often praised their relationship for its authenticity and mutual encouragement. As excitement builds for Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Zendaya’s comments offer a glimpse into the partnership that has captivated audiences around the world. While their romance continues to attract public attention, the actress made it clear that their enduring friendship remains the true foundation of both their marriage and their successful collaboration on screen.

  • |

    Unesco reports 2.4 million Afghan girls barred from secondary education under Taliban rule

    Roughly 2.4 million Afghan girls have been systematically denied access to secondary education since the Taliban regained power in 2021, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) announced, urging an immediate end to the policy. The UN agency noted that the number of girls excluded from high school has grown by 200,000 over the past year and warned that the figure could reach nearly four million by 2030 if the restrictions remain in place. Afghanistan remains the only country in the world where female students are formally prohibited from attending school beyond the primary level. The current restrictions mark a stark reversal of educational progress achieved over the preceding two decades. In 2001, female enrolment was severely limited, but by 2021, nearly one million girls were actively attending secondary schools across the country. Beyond human rights concerns, Unesco highlighted the severe long-term economic fallout, estimating that the prohibition on female education and employment could cost the Afghan economy $9.6 billion (£7.5 billion) by 2066. The wider educational landscape in Afghanistan faces critical systemic strain. More than half of primary-school-aged children are out of school entirely, and over 90 per cent of 10-year-olds are unable to read basic text. Infrastructure deficits, including widespread shortages of clean drinking water, sanitation, and heating, alongside recurrent natural disasters continue to exacerbate the ongoing crisis.

  • | |

    Saeed Ghani says ethnic voting trend Is fading in …

    Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Saeed Ghani has said that the trend of securing votes in Karachi primarily on the basis of ethnicity is gradually losing its influence. Addressing a PPP public gathering in Union Council 8 of Korangi, Ghani said voters were increasingly making political choices based on a party’s performance, ideology and vision rather than ethnic identity. He claimed that the PPP government had carried out extensive development work in District Central and Korangi, arguing that these projects had strengthened the party’s connection with residents and addressed long-standing civic needs. Ghani said Karachi’s political landscape was changing as people became more focused on issues that directly affected their daily lives. According to him, voters now paid greater attention to development, public services and the performance of political representatives when deciding which party to support. The PPP leader maintained that political parties could no longer rely solely on traditional ethnic or linguistic loyalties to win elections. He said improved performance and engagement with local communities would play a more important role in shaping voters’ decisions in the future. Ghani also highlighted the importance of development initiatives in strengthening public confidence, saying continued work in areas such as infrastructure and civic facilities could help political parties earn lasting support from Karachi’s residents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *