mir razas father
| |

Mir Raza’s father seeks suspension of police off…

KARACHI: The father of slain businessman Mir Raza Ali has called for the suspension of Karachi East DIG Dr Farrukh Ali and other police officials, accusing them of delaying the investigation and allegedly concealing crucial evidence in his son’s murder case.

Speaking to reporters, Mir Hussain said the police had mishandled the investigation and urged authorities to take action against the Ferozabad SHO and other officers allegedly involved in the case. He claimed that officials had “played a game” with the grieving family.

Twenty-five-year-old Mir Raza Ali, an IBA graduate and businessman, went missing on July 28 and was found dead in Gulistan-e-Jauhar the following day. While the initial investigation considered suicide as a possibility, his family consistently maintained that he had been abducted, tortured and murdered.

The case took a new turn after a fresh post-mortem reportedly identified a gunshot wound to Ali’s back along with other injuries. A chemical examination also detected acid particles and gunshot-residue elements on his shirt, while police said sedatives were found in his blood and DNA testing matched his parents.

Meanwhile, the family has requested that Ali’s smartwatch be examined by the Punjab Forensic Science Agency (PFSA), rather than the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA). Family lawyer Jibran Nasir expressed concern that the device had remained with a former investigation committee head for several days before being handed to the NCCIA, raising fears of possible tampering.

The newly formed investigation team, headed by DIG Amir Farooqi, has written to the NCCIA seeking forensic analysis of the smartwatch as well as information concerning Ali’s social media and other digital accounts.

Investigators have also revisited the crime scene, interviewed nursery staff and collected additional evidence. The team has been tasked with examining outstanding aspects of the case, including geofencing, mobile-data records and digital evidence.

Authorities have set August 15 as the deadline for submission of the investigation report. Meanwhile, a medico-legal officer who conducted the initial post-mortem was removed following an inquiry that identified serious lapses in the examination.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Pakistan women beat Thailand to win Asian Netball Title

    Pakistan’s women’s netball team produced a memorable performance in Hong Kong, defeating Thailand 55-50 in the final of the 2026 Asian Netball Championship Plate Division. The closely contested victory saw Pakistan maintain their composure throughout the match, with disciplined play and strong teamwork helping them secure the championship title. Pakistan’s players showed determination from the opening stages, matching Thailand’s intensity while making the most of their scoring opportunities. Their coordinated passing, defensive organisation and collective effort eventually gave them the edge in a five-point victory. The triumph also brings an important reward beyond the title. By winning the Plate Division, Pakistan have qualified for the Cup Division of the next Asian Netball Championship, scheduled to be held in Singapore in 2028. The achievement is a significant boost for women’s netball in Pakistan and provides the national team with a stronger platform to compete at the top level of Asian netball. Several players played key roles during the successful campaign. Saba Noor Anwar, Maya, Lia Raza Shah, Hina Chaudhry, Serena Naseem, Jasmine, Farah, Noor-ul-Ain and Samaya Safdar all contributed to Pakistan’s impressive final performance. The team’s success was built around teamwork, discipline and determination, allowing them to withstand Thailand’s challenge and finish the tournament on a high. The 55-50 victory will now give Pakistan renewed confidence ahead of the next Asian championship cycle. With qualification for the 2028 Cup Division secured, the national side has a valuable opportunity to build on this breakthrough and compete for an even bigger prize in Singapore.

  • Ufone service disruption, Senate questions PTA over telecom merger

    Islamabad: Pakistan’s telecom sector came under serious scrutiny as the Senate Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat questioned the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) over the recent disruption in Ufone services and demanded answers about the future of the country’s mobile communication system. During the meeting chaired by Senator Rana Mahmood ul Hassan, Chairman PTA was directly questioned about the reason behind the Ufone service failure. Senator Rana Mahmood ul Hassan asked, “Why has Ufone’s service collapsed?” while seeking an explanation from the telecom regulator. Responding to the concerns, Chairman PTA informed the committee that Ufone is a government-owned company and said the issues would be resolved after the completion of the ongoing merger process between Ufone and Telenor. The Chairman PTA further informed the committee that after the merger of Ufone and Telenor, a new telecommunications company would be established, marking a major change in Pakistan’s telecom sector. The committee was informed that Pakistan currently has 210 million active SIMs, showing continued expansion of mobile connectivity across the country. However, lawmakers raised questions about whether service quality is improving at the same pace as user growth. The meeting was attended by Senators Saadia Abbasi, Abdul Qadir, Dilawar Khan, Aimal Wali Khan and Saleem Mandviwalla, along with the Secretary Cabinet Division and Secretary Establishment Division. The Chairman PTA also briefed the committee about the restructuring of PTCL and Ufone, stating that both companies are being separated as part of the ongoing changes in the telecommunications sector. During the discussion on digital reforms, the PTA Chairman informed lawmakers that talks are underway with NADRA to introduce SIM issuance through the Pak ID platform. Under the proposed system, citizens may be able to obtain SIM cards from their homes through a digital process, reducing the need for physical visits. However, Senator Saleem Mandviwalla raised concerns over Pakistan’s position in modern telecom technology and questioned why the country has not moved faster towards eSIM technology, which is already being adopted globally. The committee stressed that Pakistan’s telecom sector needs stronger digital development, better customer services and modern solutions to meet international standards. The PTA Chairman informed the committee that the merger process between Ufone and Telenor is expected to bring improvements and create a stronger telecommunications company. The regulator said these changes aim to improve services and strengthen Pakistan’s telecom infrastructure. The meeting concluded with the committee emphasizing the importance of transparency, accountability, digital advancement and improved public service delivery in government institutions, especially in sectors directly connected with millions of citizens.

  • |

    Julie Andrews confirms she will not return for ‘Princess Diaries 3’

    “The Princess Diaries” remains one of the most beloved coming-of-age films of the century, but its long-awaited third instalment just lost one of its biggest stars. Dame Julie Andrews has confirmed she won’t be part of it. The 90-year-old actress played Queen Clarisse Renaldi opposite Anne Hathaway in the original films. She has now revealed she’ll be sitting out the upcoming sequel entirely. Speaking to Today, Andrews confirmed directly that she will not appear in the new instalment. She explained that the story appears to be taking a somewhat different direction this time around. She admitted she isn’t entirely sure how the filmmakers plan to handle that shift. According to her, the timing simply doesn’t work for her to be part of it anymore. Andrews said she believes the story now belongs to Princess Mia, Hathaway’s character, rather than her own. She framed the decision as a natural handoff, letting the franchise continue through its central character instead. Her comments have already sparked disappointment among longtime fans of the franchise. One user online said the script would need to be exceptional now, arguing the film has lost one of its strongest draws. For many, Andrews’ presence was a defining part of what made the earlier films so beloved. Fans had been hoping to see her return to the big screen after years away from major on-screen roles. Since stepping back from acting, Andrews has largely shifted toward voiceover work instead. Her absence from “The Princess Diaries 3” marks another sign of that ongoing transition away from live-action performances. While the news has left fans emotional, it also puts more attention on how the new film will carry the story forward. With Andrews stepping aside, all eyes are now on how the franchise reintroduces its world without one of its most iconic characters.

  • | |

    14 security personnel martyred, 27 injured in suic…

    TANK: At least 14 security personnel were martyred and 27 others injured in a major suicide attack on the Manjhi Khel Joint Check Post in Tank district after terrorists rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the facility late Thursday night, triggering a massive blast. According to security and police sources, the powerful explosion caused extensive destruction to the check post, completely demolishing seven to eight rooms and damaging nearby houses. Shortly after the blast, an intense exchange of gunfire erupted between the attackers and security forces and continued for a considerable period. Sources said all attackers were killed during the ensuing security operation. A clearance and search operation remains underway as authorities continue removing debris and recovering bodies. The martyred personnel reportedly include two police officials, seven members of the security forces, and one Forest Guard. Among the police personnel who embraced martyrdom were Constable Bilal and driver Tala Muhammad. The injured include four police officials Constable Ismatullah Akbari, Constable Jasim, Constable Muhammad Dawood, and Constable Pir Ghulam along with other security personnel. All the wounded were shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital, Tank, for medical treatment. According to sources, two of the attackers were wearing uniforms resembling those of the Pakistan Army in an apparent attempt to deceive security personnel. Preliminary information suggests the suicide attack was carried out using a Datsun/Mazda vehicle loaded with approximately 1,500 kilograms of explosives. Sources also claimed that a white Toyota Corolla GLi was used by the attackers, apparently to facilitate their movement after the explosion. Following the attack, security forces cordoned off the area and launched a large scale search and clearance operation. Officials are collecting evidence to determine the full circumstances of the attack. However, an official statement confirming the casualty figures and operational details is still awaited. Meanwhile, the funeral prayers for the martyred personnel are expected to be attended by Inspector General of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police Zulfiqar Hameed and Chief Secretary Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Syed Shahab Ali Shah. In response to the security situation, the district administration has imposed a district-wide curfew in Tank from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with all entry and exit routes to the city closed until further notice. Authorities have urged residents to cooperate with law enforcement agencies and avoid unnecessary travel during the curfew.

  • | |

    Rain fails to dampen Khalistan referendum turnout …

    INDIANAPOLIS: A large number of members of the Sikh community participated in a Khalistan referendum held in Indianapolis, Indiana, despite rainy weather, as organizers called for the creation of an independent Sikh state. The event was organized by Sikhs for Justice, with participants travelling from different cities and states across the United States. Organizers said voting continued despite the rain, with women and children also among those attending. Polling was scheduled to remain open until 6pm, after which organizers were expected to announce the final turnout. Pro-Khalistan slogans were raised during the event, while some participants also expressed support for Kashmir’s independence. Ghazala Habib, chairperson of Friends of Kashmir, addressed the gathering and said she was the only non-Sikh speaker to speak from the stage. Vikramjit Singh, a representative associated with the Khalistan Referendum Campaign, said the initiative was launched in 2020 but faced disruptions because of the COVID-19 pandemic. He said the first voting event under the campaign was held in London on October 31, 2021, attracting thousands of Sikh participants. According to Singh, subsequent voting events were organized in countries including the United Kingdom, Australia, Switzerland, Italy and Canada. He said Canada hosted three events in Toronto, two in Vancouver and another in Calgary, while the United States has held voting in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and now Indianapolis. Singh claimed that nearly two million Sikhs worldwide had participated in the campaign so far. However, the figure could not be independently verified. He accused the Indian government of committing historical injustices against Sikhs, citing the 1984 attack that damaged the Akal Takht and subsequent violence against the Sikh community, as well as what he described as the exploitation of Punjab’s economic resources. Singh said supporters of the movement wanted to pursue their demand through peaceful and democratic means. He called for a formal referendum in Punjab whose outcome, according to him, would have legal and political effect for all parties. Organizers said details of the Indianapolis vote and the next stage of the campaign would be announced after polling concludes. The campaign is expected to hold another referendum in Canada on October 18, although the specific city has not yet been confirmed.

  • “Azadi Kay Rang” painting competition held in Rawalpindi

    RAWALPINDI: The Punjab Council of the Arts, Rawalpindi held the prize distribution ceremony of its Independence Day painting competition, “Azadi Kay Rang,” today. Mr. Rizwan Khalil Shamsi, Chief Manager, State Bank, and Ms. Shazia Rizwan, Parliamentary Secretary for Information and Culture, Government of the Punjab, attended the ceremony as Chief Guests. The competition provided young artists with a creative platform to express their vision of independence, patriotism, and love for Pakistan through art. Addressing the gathering, Mr. Rizwan Khalil Shamsi, Chief Manager, State Bank, appreciated the enthusiasm and artistic talent displayed by the young participants. He said that creative activities of this nature provide an effective platform for young people to express their ideas and strengthen their connection with the country. He also appreciated the Punjab Council of the Arts, Rawalpindi for providing opportunities for emerging artists. Shazia Rizwan, Parliamentary Secretary for Information and Culture, Government of the Punjab, appreciated the participants for portraying the spirit of independence through their artwork. She emphasized that art and cultural activities play an important role in nurturing creativity, national awareness, and a positive outlook among the younger generation. She distributed prizes and certificates among the winning participants and congratulated all the artists. Muhammad Shakoor, Director, Punjab Council of the Arts, Rawalpindi, thanked both Chief Guests, the judges, participating artists, and guests for their presence and support. He particularly appreciated the efforts of Senior Artist Azeem Iqbal, who played a key role in organising and coordinating the painting competition. He acknowledged his dedication and valuable contribution in making the event successful and said that such efforts are essential for providing young artists with meaningful opportunities to showcase their talent. He reaffirmed the Council’s commitment to encouraging emerging artists and promoting art and cultural activities in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *