benjamin netanyahu sparks
|

Benjamin Netanyahu sparks diplomatic backlash after labelling UK an “Islamic republic”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has drawn widespread criticism following a radio interview in which he referred to the United Kingdom as the “Islamic republic of Britain” and suggested it could become the first Islamic republic with nuclear capabilities. The remarks, delivered during a broadcast on Israel’s Army Radio, have drawn condemnation for echoing far-right Islamophobic rhetoric.

During the exchange, Netanyahu contrasted media coverage of the 1967 Arab-Israeli war with modern British politics, questioning whether contemporary UK figures would offer similar support. Pressed by the interviewer on whether such dynamics applied to Europe as a whole, Netanyahu doubled down, repeating the assertion regarding Britain’s nuclear status. His comments notably ignored the fact that Pakistan, officially an Islamic republic, has possessed a nuclear arsenal since the late 1990s.

The incident has heightened existing diplomatic tensions between London and Jerusalem. The British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office described the statement as completely unacceptable and confirmed the matter had been raised directly with the Israeli government. Domestically, Israeli opposition figures criticized Netanyahu for alienating a strategic international partner amid mounting diplomatic isolation.

Similar Posts

  • Elon Musk admits his OpenAI bet backfired

    Elon Musk now believes one of his earliest moves to stop any single company from dominating artificial intelligence may have backfired badly. In a conversation with Zanny Minton Beddoes, editor-in-chief of The Economist, the xAI founder said he originally helped create OpenAI as a counterweight to Google, which had “more or less a monopoly on AI” at the time. Musk admitted things did not play out the way he had hoped. He pointed to Anthropic’s split from OpenAI, and its rise into a leading AI company, as proof his original bet triggered consequences he never saw coming. It ultimately sped up the AI race rather than slowing it down. He said he was not really trying to accelerate AI, but that creating OpenAI, followed by Anthropic spinning out of it, ended up producing knock-on effects that did exactly that. His takeaway was blunt, every road in AI now leads to faster development, not less. The comments arrive amid Musk’s ongoing legal battle with OpenAI CEO Sam Altman over the company’s shift from nonprofit research lab to commercial powerhouse. Musk has framed his frustration in simple terms, he says that he funded a nonprofit meant to be an open-source AI company owned by the world, only to watch it become an $800 billion closed-source for-profit business. That is the opposite of what he intended his donation for. Musk had sought $150 billion in damages from OpenAI, Altman, Microsoft, and other parties. A federal jury in Oakland ruled in May that his claims fell outside the statute of limitations, and Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers dismissed the case on those grounds. Musk has said he plans to appeal to the Ninth Circuit. Despite the feud with Altman, Musk struck a notably warmer tone about Anthropic. He suggested the people who left OpenAI to start it did so because they had lost faith in Altman’s leadership, and he praised Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei as someone genuinely principled and seriously concerned about AI’s future. He went so far as to say the company’s team passed what he called his “evil detector.” Musk also floated a safety proposal: giving leading AI labs a window of a week or two to review rivals’ models before public release. His reasoning was that competitors checking each other, even amid personal animosity between CEOs, would actually make the process more honest rather than less.

  • |

    Natalie Harp tipped as Karoline Leavitt’s likely successor

    White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt announced on Wednesday that she is stepping down from the Trump administration by the end of the month. She cited wanting more time with her family as the reason behind the decision. In a social media post, the 28-year-old explained that returning to the White House after having her daughter left her struggling to balance the demands of the role with being present for her two young children. She called it a bittersweet decision to move into a new chapter of her life. President Trump responded publicly, saying he understood and respected her choice. He added that Leavitt would remain part of his inner circle, describing her as one of his top outside advisors and an influential voice within the Republican Party going forward. The sudden announcement caught many off guard, sparking a wave of speculation online about what actually prompted her exit. No official replacement has been named yet, but multiple reports have pointed to Natalie Harp as a likely contender for the role. The 34-year-old serves as Trump’s executive assistant and is frequently seen by his side at public events. She reportedly manages much of his digital presence, including posting pre-approved content to his social media accounts after hours, according to a Wall Street Journal report from May 2026. Given her closeness to the president, Harp has emerged as one of the more plausible names being floated to take over the press secretary role. Alongside the succession talk, unverified theories have also surfaced online suggesting Harp may have played a role in Leavitt’s exit. Some reports, including one from the Irish Star, claim Harp accompanied Trump during a security-related jet switch amid threat concerns, while Leavitt was left behind, though this remains unconfirmed. A source told the Daily Mail that Harp holds an unusually close position within Trump’s team, describing her as closer to the president than anyone else on his staff. Separately, a widely circulated video appeared to show Leavitt seemingly sidelined during a tense exchange involving Trump and another woster believed to be Harp, shortly before her resignation announcement. None of these claims have been independently verified so far.

  • | |

    Naqvi defends officials over viral carriage video

    Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi has defended the Capital Development Authority (CDA) chairman and Islamabad Inspector General of Police (IGP) after a video of the two officials arriving at an Independence Day event in a horse-drawn carriage triggered criticism on social media. CDA Chairman retired Lt Sohail Ashraf and Islamabad IGP Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi were seen arriving at the parade in the carriage. The video showed event organisers asking the audience to applaud as the officials arrived, but little response could be heard from the crowd. The footage quickly spread online, with several social media users describing the scene as outdated and comparing it with practices associated with the colonial era. Naqvi later issued a clarification, saying the officials should not be blamed for using the carriage. According to the interior minister, the chief guest and he were delayed because of a meeting between the president and prime minister. He said people had been waiting at the venue since 5pm. When it became clear that the senior officials would arrive late, instructions were given to start the programme so that citizens would not have to wait any longer. Naqvi explained that the horse carriage had originally been arranged for the chief guest. However, due to the delay, it was used by the CDA chairman and Islamabad police chief to proceed with the programme. The minister also said both officers had initially been reluctant to begin the event in the absence of the chief guest and himself. He maintained that they proceeded only after receiving specific instructions. Despite the explanation, criticism continued online. Former federal minister Shireen Mazari shared the video and questioned the decision, while digital rights activist Usama Khilji criticised what he described as behaviour inappropriate for senior government officials. Several journalists and public figures also reacted strongly to the footage. Journalist Farzana Ali questioned the appropriateness of such a display at a time when ordinary citizens are facing economic difficulties. Journalist Zarrar Khuhro described the scene as embarrassing, while researcher Ammar Rashid criticised what he viewed as the growing distance between government officials and the public. Former Pemra chairman Absar Alam also condemned the incident, calling it an example of an outdated bureaucratic mindset. Former Sindh governor Mohammad Zubair drew a comparison with the recent visit of Norway’s foreign minister to Islamabad. He highlighted footage showing the foreign minister handling his own luggage at the airport and contrasted it with the behaviour shown in the Islamabad parade video

  • | |

    Auqib Nabi earns maiden India call-up as replacement for injured Jasprit Bumrah

    Right-arm pacer Auqib Nabi has been added to India’s squad for the upcoming two-match Test series against Sri Lanka, replacing injured fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah. The series begins in Galle on August 15, followed by a second Test in Colombo on August 23. It marks India’s first assignment in the World Cup Test Championship cycle since a 2-0 home defeat to South Africa in 2025. Auqib, a tall right-arm quick from Jammu and Kashmir, earns his first national call-up after strong performances in domestic cricket. He topped the wicket-taking charts in India’s premier first-class competition, the Ranji Trophy, across the past two seasons. He played a central role in Jammu and Kashmir’s historic Ranji Trophy title win, taking 60 wickets in 17 innings during that campaign, an effort that earned him the player of the tournament award. He also featured for India A against Sri Lanka A during a recently concluded tour, picking up six wickets across two four-day matches. Should he make his Test debut in the upcoming series, Auqib would become the first cricketer from Jammu to represent India in the format. Across his first-class career, Auqib has taken 162 wickets in 43 matches at an average of 18.63, including four ten-wicket hauls in a match and 16 five-wicket innings hauls. Bumrah, meanwhile, has been ruled out after failing to recover in time from a left knee injury sustained during the ODI series against England. He had originally been named in India’s squad for the Sri Lanka tour before the setback. His workload has been closely monitored since he suffered a back injury during the 2024-25 Border-Gavaskar Trophy series in Australia, and the recent ODI series against England marked his first appearance in the format since the 2023 World Cup final. India’s updated squad for the Sri Lanka Tests reads: Shubman Gill (captain), KL Rahul (vice-captain), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), B Sai Sudharsan, Dhruv Jurel (wicketkeeper), Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Manav Suthar, Mohammed Siraj, Prasidh Krishna, Gurnoor Brar, Auqib Nabi, Devdutt Padikkal and Saransh Jain.

  • | | | |

    Houthis target Saudi Aramco refinery in drone atta…

    RIYADH/SANAA: Regional tensions have taken another dangerous turn after Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi group claimed it carried out a drone attack on Saudi Aramco’s Jazan refinery, while a separate barrage of missiles and drones reportedly struck the Yemeni Red Sea port city of Mokha. The developments come as security concerns continue to grow across the Red Sea and Gulf, adding another layer to an already volatile regional situation. Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said the group had targeted the Aramco refinery in Jazan, in southwestern Saudi Arabia, with drones. Saudi authorities confirmed that a fire had broken out at the facility but said it had been brought under control and that no casualties had been reported. Saudi officials did not immediately attribute the fire to the alleged Houthi attack, leaving some details surrounding the incident unclear. The Jazan refinery is a strategically important energy facility on Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea coast. The complex has a crude-processing capacity of around 400,000 barrels per day and produces products including gasoline and ultra-low-sulfur diesel. The latest incident is not the first time Houthi attacks have been reported against Saudi energy infrastructure. The Jazan facility was also reportedly affected by an attack in late July, with parts of its gasification complex and tank farm suffering damage, according to reports. Mokha Port Also Hit The situation became even more serious when Houthi forces reportedly launched missiles and drones toward Mokha, a strategically located port city on Yemen’s western coast. Yemeni government forces and medical sources initially reported at least seven deaths, including civilians and military personnel. Later reports put the death toll at 11, with eight military personnel and three civilians among those killed. Around 32 people were reportedly wounded, although casualty figures varied between sources. Yemeni military officials said air-defence systems intercepted 11 Houthi drones during the attacks. Damage was also reported to civilian and commercial infrastructure around the port. The attacks come against the backdrop of heightened regional tensions involving Iran, Israel and the United States. The Houthis have also previously threatened measures affecting shipping in the Red Sea, framing their actions as retaliation for Saudi policies toward Yemen. The latest escalation is particularly notable because Saudi Arabia has recently deepened its defence cooperation with Pakistan and Türkiye. The new security arrangement has been presented as a collective defence framework in which an armed attack against one member is treated as an attack against all. With attacks now reported near both Saudi Arabia’s energy infrastructure and Yemen’s Red Sea coastline, fears are growing that the conflict could further disrupt an already sensitive regional security and trade environment.

  • | |

    Pakistan plans $500 million export-oriented auto z…

      A major initiative has been announced to establish an automotive zone on 150 acres of land at Port Qasim in Karachi, with the government expecting the project to create new opportunities for exports and generate significant foreign exchange for Pakistan. The announcement was made during a meeting of the Port Qasim Authority Board, chaired by Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Junaid Anwar Chaudhry. The meeting reviewed plans aimed at strengthening Pakistan’s maritime infrastructure and promoting industrial and export-related activities through the country’s major port facilities. Speaking at the meeting, Federal Minister Junaid Anwar Chaudhry said the proposed auto zone would cover approximately 150 acres at Port Qasim. He said the project was expected to generate around $500 million in annual exports, while contributing approximately $200 million in foreign exchange earnings each year According to the minister, the auto zone will provide a range of facilities linked to the automotive industry. These will include refurbishment facilities, display areas and spare-parts services. The development is expected to support businesses involved in the import, refurbishment and export of automotive products and components. The minister said the project would create new export opportunities for Pakistan’s automotive sector and help the country strengthen its position in international markets. He described the proposed auto zone as an integrated framework that would bring together automobile imports, refurbishment and exports at a single location. The initiative is also expected to encourage greater investment in the automotive sector by providing businesses with dedicated infrastructure and facilities. By bringing different stages of automotive-related activities together, the project could help improve efficiency and create opportunities for companies seeking to expand their operations in Pakistan. Port Qasim’s strategic importance as one of Pakistan’s major ports could further support the project. The location provides access to maritime transportation and international trade routes, potentially making it easier for automotive businesses to handle imported vehicles, spare parts and other related products before exporting refurbished or finished products to overseas markets. The government expects the auto zone to contribute to the country’s broader efforts to increase exports and generate foreign exchange. Pakistan has been seeking new avenues to expand its export base and reduce pressure on its foreign exchange reserves. In this context, the proposed automotive zone could provide a platform for developing value-added activities rather than relying solely on the import and sale of automotive products. The inclusion of refurbishment facilities is particularly significant because it could allow imported vehicles and automotive components to be repaired, upgraded or prepared for resale and export. Similarly, dedicated spare-parts facilities could support both local businesses and export-oriented automotive operations. The project is therefore being presented as more than a conventional industrial development. It is intended to establish an integrated automotive ecosystem connecting imports, refurbishment, display, spare parts and exports. If implemented as planned, the Port Qasim auto zone could attract investment, support businesses associated with the automotive industry, create employment opportunities and increase Pakistan’s export earnings. The government believes that the project will open new avenues for growth in the automotive sector while contributing to the country’s overall foreign exchange generation and export expansion efforts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *