leaders mourn former
|

UK leaders mourn former Cambridge professor Arday

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham has described the death of former Cambridge professor Jason Arday as “a tragedy on so many levels” and urged people to reflect before reaching conclusions about the circumstances surrounding his death.

Arday, 41, was found dead at a property in Battersea, south London, on Friday afternoon. His family said they were devastated by the loss of the academic, describing him as a loving father, partner, brother, uncle and son.

In a statement released through his publisher, Simon & Schuster UK, the family said Arday had been struggling amid what they described as a campaign of misinformation.

Burnham, speaking during a visit to Cornwall, said the situation required reflection rather than immediate judgement.

Arday resigned from his position as Professor of Sociology of Education at the University of Cambridge last week following allegations concerning plagiarism and questions about some claims surrounding his career. He rejected the allegations, although he acknowledged errors in some of his earlier academic work.

Friends and colleagues have spoken about the pressure Arday faced in the weeks before his death. Eamonn McCrystal, a friend from St Mary’s University College London, said Arday had described feeling “destroyed” and expressed concern after his US travel visa was revoked.

McCrystal remembered him as a kind and gentle person who had been involved with student radio during their university years.

Cambridge Vice-Chancellor Professor Deborah Prentice said the university community was deeply saddened by Arday’s death and extended sympathy to his family and friends.

Education Secretary Lucy Powell also expressed shock and urged the public to remember the human impact of intense public scrutiny.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Arday had faced sustained media attention and described the treatment he received as an unacceptable campaign of public abuse. He called the death a wake-up call.

The University and College Union also called for scrutiny of the harassment Arday experienced, including allegations of racism. Other prominent figures in British public life similarly raised concerns about the treatment of Black academics and the pressures faced by people from underrepresented backgrounds.

Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, director of Cambridge’s Autism Research Centre, said he had spoken to Arday on the morning of his death. He described him as a caring and gentle person and said Arday had felt unable to leave his home.

Professor Kehinde Andrews, a friend of Arday, said the academic had been deeply distressed after leaving Cambridge and had withdrawn from public life.

The controversy surrounding Arday began after questions were raised about sections of his academic work. He denied plagiarism and said some errors were linked to the way he processed information as an autistic academic.

Further questions were also raised about claims related to aspects of his personal history, including a long-distance charity run and fundraising achievements. Arday later clarified details surrounding both claims.

His appointment at Cambridge in 2023 had been celebrated as a significant milestone, making him the university’s youngest Black professor at the time.

When announcing his resignation, Arday said the personal cost of the controversy had become too great. He maintained that his decision to leave Cambridge should not be interpreted as an acceptance of the allegations made against him.

Cambridge has announced an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding his appointment. Liverpool John Moores University, which awarded Arday his PhD in 2015, previously concluded that he had not committed plagiarism.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    PTI rejects AJK polls, demands fresh elections

    Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has rejected the first phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections. The party has described the July 27 polls as unacceptable and demanded a judicial inquiry into the violence reported in the region. PTI leaders also called for the cancellation of the remaining two phases of the elections. They demanded fresh elections across AJK in a single phase under an independent and impartial election commission. Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, PTI Chairman Barrister Gohar Ali Khan appeared alongside former AJK prime minister Sardar Qayyum Niazi. The leaders strongly criticised the violence reported in Rawalakot, Mirpur and other areas. Multiple reports of deaths and injuries have emerged since Monday. Videos showing unrest have also circulated on social media, although the reported casualties could not be independently verified. Both security agencies and the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) have reported casualties during clashes. Niazi said Kashmiris were facing what he described as unprecedented oppression. He said the situation was particularly concerning because Kashmiris had historically supported the cause of accession to Pakistan. He claimed protesters had attempted to resolve their grievances through negotiations. According to him, the situation deteriorated after their demands were not addressed. Niazi maintained that the protesters were peaceful. He questioned the use of force against them and urged authorities to avoid further escalation. He also criticised the decision to conduct the AJK elections in three phases. Niazi argued that the region has a relatively small population and questioned why the elections could not have been held on a single day. He said the ongoing violence was damaging Pakistan’s position on the Kashmir issue. According to him, AJK is considered an important base for the wider Kashmir cause. Niazi warned that the unrest could send a negative message internationally. He said Pakistan had previously highlighted alleged human rights violations in Indian-administered Kashmir at international forums. He argued that developments in AJK could make it difficult for Pakistan to effectively present its position on Kashmir before the international community. The former AJK prime minister also rejected the portrayal of protesters as terrorists. He said the same people had previously been engaging with authorities through negotiations. Niazi called for dialogue and urged the government to avoid further use of force. He proposed the establishment of a national government in AJK until conditions returned to normal. He said free and transparent elections should then be held across the region, with PTI participating in the process. Gohar also strongly criticised the July 27 elections. He alleged that the polls had failed to reflect the will of the people. The PTI chairman said using force to silence protesters could not resolve political and public grievances. He argued that listening to citizens was a fundamental part of democracy. Gohar criticised both the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) for turning the election dispute into a political contest. He said political parties should focus on the violence and reported casualties rather than exchanging allegations over electoral gains and losses. The PTI leader also pointed to the low voter turnout. He claimed that the limited participation represented public dissatisfaction with the existing political system. Gohar said the Kashmir issue was extremely sensitive and should not be used for political interests. He urged all stakeholders to act responsibly and resolve the crisis through dialogue. PTI has now formally demanded a judicial investigation into the reported violence. The party also wants the remaining election phases, scheduled for August 2 and August 10, cancelled. The party has further called for the resignation of the AJK government and the formation of a national government to manage the situation. PTI wants fresh elections to be held across AJK in a single phase. It has called for the process to be conducted under the supervision of an independent and impartial election commission. The party says dialogue should be prioritised to address public grievances and restore normalcy before a fresh electoral process begins.

  • | |

    Population boom demands governance reset: DG ISPR

    Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (DG ISPR) Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry on Friday said Pakistan’s rapid population growth requires a serious review of the country’s governance and administrative structure to ensure it continues to meet the nation’s needs. Speaking at a news conference, the military spokesperson noted that Pakistan’s population had increased from around 70 to 80 million in 1972 to nearly 250 million today, while the country’s administrative framework had largely remained unchanged. He said such a significant rise in population made it necessary to assess whether the existing system was still capable of delivering effective governance and public services. The DG ISPR stressed that improving governance was essential for national security and stability, adding that unresolved issues indicated the need for reforms. However, he emphasized that any changes to the administrative structure must be introduced through constitutional and democratic processes. He said the decision on governance reforms or administrative restructuring should reflect the aspirations of the people rather than individual opinions. Lt Gen Chaudhry also highlighted that Pakistan’s youth now make up the largest segment of the population and urged political leaders to focus on improving governance while guiding the public through constructive political dialogue. He reiterated that lasting solutions to the country’s governance challenges could only be achieved through constitutional means and in accordance with the will of the people.

  • |

    Sadia Imam’s eyebrow lift look sparks debate on social media

    Pakistani actress and television host Sadia Imam has become the center of discussion on social media after her latest appearance drew widespread attention for her noticeably lifted eyebrows. Photos and clips from the appearance quickly circulated online, with many users sharing mixed reactions to her changed look. Sadia Imam is regarded as one of Pakistan’s well-known television personalities, having earned recognition through her performances in several popular drama serials over the years. She rose to prominence with her work in classic PTV productions and later appeared in numerous successful projects, establishing herself as a familiar face in the country’s entertainment industry. Alongside acting, she has also built a successful career as a television host. The recent discussion began after Sadia Imam appeared via video link during a television program earlier this week. While viewers tuned in to hear her thoughts during the show, much of the online conversation shifted toward her facial appearance, particularly her prominently arched eyebrows. Shortly after the broadcast, screenshots and video clips from the program spread across social media platforms, prompting users to comment on what they described as an unusually lifted eyebrow look. Many questioned whether the appearance was the result of a beauty filter used during the video call, while others speculated that it could be linked to cosmetic procedures such as Botox or an eyebrow lift. Several social media users claimed that the change in her facial expressions made her look noticeably different from her previous television appearances. Some described the look as overly dramatic, while others suggested that cosmetic enhancements should remain subtle to preserve natural facial features. However, not all reactions were critical. A number of users urged others to avoid judging celebrities based solely on their appearance, arguing that every individual has the right to make personal choices regarding beauty treatments or cosmetic procedures. Others pointed out that lighting, camera angles, makeup, or video filters can significantly alter a person’s appearance on screen, making it unfair to draw conclusions from short video clips. The discussion once again highlighted how public figures often face intense scrutiny over their appearance, with even minor changes becoming a topic of widespread debate across digital platforms. In recent years, several celebrities from Pakistan and abroad have encountered similar reactions after appearing with different makeup styles, cosmetic enhancements, or aesthetic procedures. As the clips continue to circulate online, Sadia Imam has not publicly addressed the comments or responded to the speculation surrounding her appearance. Meanwhile, the conversation continues across social media, with opinions remaining divided between those criticizing the look and those calling for greater respect for personal choices and privacy.

  • | |

    Imran Khan’s sister secures transit bail in cybe…

    The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Monday granted transit pre-arrest bail to Noreen Niazi, sister of incarcerated Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan, in a case registered under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (Peca) 2016. The court directed Niazi to approach the relevant Islamabad court by August 20 for further legal proceedings. Her protective relief will remain effective until that date. Justice Arshad Ali heard Niazi’s petition. Her legal team included Ali Zaman, Amir Zeb and Barrister Sarwar Muzaffar Shah. The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) registered the case in Islamabad on July 27. Niazi has been accused of making allegedly derogatory and inflammatory remarks about state institutions during a podcast and in video clips later circulated on social media. Her lawyers rejected the allegations and maintained that she had been falsely implicated. They argued that the case was politically motivated and that the authorities had not presented substantial evidence linking her to the alleged offences. The defence further claimed that attempts were being made to arrest and harass Niazi. The lawyers said the statements cited in the case had been taken out of context and wrongly interpreted. In its order, the PHC observed that the request for transit bail deserved consideration. The court subsequently granted interim protection subject to bail bonds of Rs80,000 and two sureties. Niazi later spoke to reporters and said she became aware of the case after arriving in Peshawar. She claimed that remarks she had made privately were allegedly passed on to authorities and subsequently became the basis of the case. She also alleged that several cases had been registered against members of Imran Khan’s family. Niazi questioned the allegations against her, saying she had never visited Peshawar and therefore had no involvement in matters concerning the province. The case emerged after the NCCIA summoned Niazi on July 20 over allegations involving the dissemination of what the agency described as false, offensive and inflammatory content concerning state institutions. The action followed the circulation of a video interview in which Niazi discussed the Pakistan-India military confrontation of last year. She made allegations about the circumstances surrounding the conflict and questioned the motives behind it. She also made claims involving Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Israel and US President Donald Trump.

  • | |

    Mir Raza exhumation halted over medical board row

    The exhumation of Mir Ali Raza’s body has been postponed for Friday, his father’s lawyer Jibran Nasir said. Nasir spoke to the media and raised serious concerns over the medical board formed for the case. He said a third notification regarding the medical board had been issued. According to Nasir, the first and second medical boards were merged to form a new third board. However, he said the family does not accept the latest notification. He said Mir Raza’s parents had already recorded their statements before the investigating officer. Nasir said the family would not allow the exhumation to take place under the supervision of what he called a disputed medical board. He described the exhumation as a sensitive legal process. He said the court had directed the police surgeon and police to take necessary action. A medical team was formed after the court’s directions. However, Nasir alleged that the medical board was changed overnight. He said the sudden change had raised serious questions for the family. He questioned why doctors from Karachi were not included in the new board. He also questioned the removal of doctors who had been part of the earlier medical board. Nasir asked why a new board was formed without first withdrawing the previous notification. He also questioned why the new notification was issued during the night. He questioned the role of the Director General Health in Hyderabad. He asked under which law the official became the supervising officer of the medical board. Nasir also questioned how the orders of the Karachi police surgeon were superseded. He asked which order of the health secretary was referred to in the letter issued from Hyderabad. He said the family would not accept any alternative arrangement. They would only recognize the previously constituted eight-member medical board. Nasir also raised questions about the investigation into Mir Raza’s death. He said the investigating officer could not recover a bullet casing for eight days. According to him, the casing was recovered only after the family approached the court. He questioned how important the casing could be without the recovery of the pistol allegedly used in the incident. Nasir also alleged that the investigating officer had not properly inspected Mir Raza’s room. He said the family had lost a young member and wanted the case to be investigated with complete seriousness. He stressed that an exhumation was not an ordinary procedure. Meanwhile, preparations for the exhumation had been completed at the PECHS cemetery in Karachi. A police team had also reached the cemetery.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *