pakistan seal sevenwicket
|

Pakistan seal seven-wicket win over County Select XI

BECKENHAM: Pakistan produced a strong second-half turnaround on Saturday, defeating the Professional County Club Select XI by seven wickets in their three-day practice match at the Kent County Cricket Ground.

Chasing 262 runs for victory on the final day, Pakistan made the target look comfortable, reaching 265-3 in just 57.1 overs. The result provided an encouraging boost for the visitors ahead of their three-match Test series against England.

The star of Pakistan’s successful chase was Saud Shakeel, who delivered a composed unbeaten century. Coming in at No. 3 after opener Azan Awais was dismissed for just one, Saud took control of the innings and finished with 100 not out from 147 balls, hitting 10 fours and three sixes.

He found an ideal partner in Imam-ul-Haq, with the experienced opener producing an attacking 80 from 88 deliveries. Imam struck 13 boundaries and combined with Saud for a crucial 127-run partnership, effectively taking the game away from the hosts.

Mohammad Rizwan added a useful 33, while Awais Zafar remained unbeaten on 30 to complete the chase.

Earlier, the PCC Select XI resumed their second innings at 128-3, holding a 195-run lead. Pakistan’s bowlers, however, quickly turned the pressure into wickets. The hosts managed only 66 additional runs before being dismissed for 194.

Falconer top-scored with 56, while Saif Zaib and Manny Lumsden contributed 24 each.

Spinner Ali Usman was Pakistan’s standout bowler, finishing with an impressive five wickets for 42 runs. Ubaid Shah claimed two wickets for just nine runs, while Salman Ali Agha, Sajid Khan and Mohammad Ali took one apiece.

The comeback victory comes at an important moment for Pakistan. With their first Test against England scheduled to begin in Leeds on August 19, the performances of Saud, Imam and the bowling attack offer Pakistan plenty of confidence.

After struggling earlier in the match, Pakistan finished strongly — exactly the kind of response they will hope to carry into the Test series.

Brief Scores

Pakistan beat PCC Select XI by seven wickets

PCC Select XI: 305 (S. Zaib 65, M. Fisher 62*, C. Falconer 59, T. Haines 51; M. Ali 3-23, M. Abbas 3-37) & 194 (C. Falconer 56, J. Rew 40; A. Usman 5-42, U. Shah 2-9)

Pakistan: 238 (A. Shafique 61; S. Bashir 4-76) & 264-3 (S. Shakeel 100*, I. ul-Haq 80 retired not out)

Result: Pakistan won by 7 wickets.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Javed Akhtar says internet discourages originality

    Javed Akhtar has been writing words that endure for more than five decades, and in a candid conversation with Vogue India, he turned his gaze toward what he believes is happening to creativity in the digital age. What he found does not reassure him. The veteran lyricist and screenwriter argued that the internet and its algorithms have created a culture of creative fear, one in which people are no longer willing to take the risk of doing something that has not already been done before. “The echo chambers created by the internet have made most people afraid to do something for the first time,” he said. “Once someone else does it, they’re fine to follow in their footsteps.” He extended that observation into a broader concern about how people engage with ideas and the world around them. “People no longer want to pause, think, analyse or sit with an idea. They are living happily, so why would they bother to think about this universe or the vastness of nature? For them, it is a waste of time.” For Akhtar, this impatience is incompatible with the kind of work that lasts. “Meaningful creation requires time, discomfort and reflection,” he said, adding that his own willingness to question dominant voices and widely accepted ideologies has always come from exactly that kind of sustained engagement with ideas. He was particularly pointed about the music industry and the way commercial priorities have pushed the role of lyrics to the margins. “Today, words have become less important because the marketing team has decided that slow music won’t trend,” he said. The result, in his view, is an industry that remixes old material with inferior new writing rather than producing something genuinely fresh. “But then they take those same songs, edit the mukhras and remix them with some inferiorly written antaras. There was a time when writers had more space. Today, other forces dictate what music gets made. And yet, songs that are decades old still endure, while many recent ones have a short shelf life.” His advice to young writers was direct and unglamorous. Read more. Not only classical literature and celebrated authors, but light reading too. “The real loss is not in reading something trivial but in not reading at all,” he said. On the creative process itself, Akhtar drew a distinction that cuts to the heart of what separates craft from genuine art. “All arts can be divided into two parts. On one hand, there’s imagination, passion, fantasy and romance, and on the other, there is craft. You can learn the craft in a crash course. But imagining, fantasising and romanticising cannot be learned. There are no courses for yearning.” He closed with a lesson passed down from his father that has stayed with him throughout his career. “It is very easy to write in difficult language, but very difficult to write in easy language. When you write simply, there is no space for your idea to hide behind big words. Only if you are totally convinced of what you are writing can you afford to use transparent language.” It is a principle that has shaped some of Hindi cinema’s most enduring words, and one that no algorithm is likely to teach.

  • | | |

    Mir Raza was shot 4 times, rejects suicide attempt

    Karachi: Sindh Governor Nahal Hashmi has claimed that the death of young businessman Mir Raza Ali was not a case of suicide, stating that the victim had sustained four bullet wounds. His remarks came while addressing a ceremony held under the Prime Minister’s Youth Laptop Program in Karachi. Speaking to students at the event, the governor said it was an honor to participate in the distribution of laptops, describing the initiative as a significant step toward empowering Pakistan’s youth through education and technology. He credited Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for prioritizing educational development and providing students with modern learning opportunities. Hashmi emphasized the importance of education by referring to the Quranic command “Iqra” (Read), saying that knowledge is the foundation of progress. He added that equipping young people with laptops would help them develop the skills needed for the digital era and contribute to the country’s future. Highlighting Pakistan’s technology ambitions, the governor said the country aims to achieve $25 billion in IT exports. He also praised the success of talented students from Karachi who recently established a company that was reportedly sold to Elon Musk for millions of dollars, calling it a source of pride for the nation. The governor reiterated his support for national unity, stressing that Pakistan was founded as a free and sovereign state in line with the vision of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. He also clarified that he serves as a constitutional governor and remains committed to fulfilling his responsibilities under the Constitution. Commenting on law and order, Hashmi urged authorities to further strengthen security measures in Karachi, noting that larger cities naturally face greater crime-related challenges. He said the city’s crime rate has improved significantly compared to previous years but acknowledged that more work is needed. Referring to the ongoing investigation into Mir Raza Ali’s death, the governor stated that, according to the information available to him, the victim had been shot four times and had not died by suicide. He noted that the investigation is still underway and expressed sorrow over the loss of a young life, saying the final conclusions would depend on the outcome of the official probe.

  • |

    Babar Azam, Abbas rise in ICC Test rankings after West Indies defeat

    Pakistan captain Babar Azam and experienced pacer Mohammad Abbas have moved up in the latest ICC Test rankings. The rankings were updated after the first Test between Pakistan and the West Indies. Pakistan lost the match by 90 runs at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad. The defeat gave the West Indies a 1-0 lead in the two-match series. Despite the loss, several Pakistani players made progress in the individual rankings. Mohammad Abbas was Pakistan’s biggest mover among the bowlers. The veteran fast bowler delivered an impressive performance in the Test. Abbas took three wickets in the first innings. He then produced an outstanding spell in the second innings. The right-arm pacer claimed five wickets for 22 runs. He finished the match with eight wickets in total. His performance helped him climb nine places in the ICC Test bowling rankings. Abbas is now ranked 17th among Test bowlers. Left-arm spinner Noman Ali remains Pakistan’s highest-ranked Test bowler. He retained seventh position in the latest rankings. Shaheen Shah Afridi, however, dropped four places. He is now ranked 29th. Off-spinner Sajid Khan also slipped one position. He moved down to 35th in the bowling rankings. Babar Azam also made progress in the Test batting rankings. The Pakistan captain played an important role during the team’s chase in the second innings. Pakistan needed 211 runs for victory. Babar remained unbeaten on 58 as Pakistan lost wickets at regular intervals. His fighting innings was one of the few positive moments for the visitors. The performance lifted Babar four places in the rankings. He is now ranked 15th among Test batters. Former Pakistan captain Shan Masood also moved up after scoring a century in the first innings. Masood’s hundred helped him gain eight places. He is now ranked 36th in the ICC Test batting rankings. However, some Pakistani batters suffered a decline. Saud Shakeel dropped three places to 24th. Wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Rizwan also fell eight places and is now ranked 26th. Salman Ali Agha dropped four positions. He now occupies 32nd place in the latest Test batting standings. The rankings provide some individual encouragement for Pakistan despite their disappointing result in Trinidad. The national team will now look to bounce back in the second and final Test against the West Indies.

  • |

    North Korea fires missile ahead of US-South Korea drills

    SEOUL: North Korea launched a suspected ballistic missile into waters off the Korean Peninsula’s eastern coast on Wednesday, raising tensions just days before major military exercises between South Korea and the United States. South Korean and Japanese authorities detected the launch from the Wonsan area on North Korea’s east coast at around 6am local time. The missile travelled approximately 700 kilometres before falling into the sea, according to South Korean and Japanese defence officials. The launch came only days before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, scheduled to begin on August 17 and continue through August 27. The drills are designed to strengthen the allies’ ability to respond to security threats from North Korea. Pyongyang has repeatedly criticised the exercises, describing them as preparations for a potential attack. Seoul and Washington maintain that the drills are defensive and necessary to improve their combined military readiness. South Korean officials said Wednesday’s launch was the latest in a series of weapons tests conducted by North Korea this year. It was assessed as the country’s 11th suspected ballistic missile test of 2026. North Korea had also launched a missile from the Wonsan region on August 6. Pyongyang did not publicly acknowledge that test. Analysts said the latest launch could have been part of North Korea’s ongoing weapons development programme. However, its timing may also have been intended to send a political and military message ahead of the upcoming US-South Korean exercises. South Korean authorities have not yet confirmed the exact type of missile involved. Officials said a detailed analysis was under way to determine its specifications. The missile’s reported range and launch location have prompted speculation that it could have been a hypersonic weapon or another advanced missile system. Officials have not confirmed those assessments. Seoul and Tokyo condemn launch South Korea and Japan strongly criticised the missile test. South Korean authorities convened an emergency security meeting and called on Pyongyang to stop activities that violate United Nations Security Council resolutions. South Korea’s military said it remained fully prepared to respond to any further provocation and would maintain its combined defence posture with the United States. Japan also lodged a formal protest through diplomatic channels. Japanese Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi condemned the launch and said Tokyo was closely monitoring developments. The latest test follows growing tensions over North Korea’s expanding weapons programme and Japan’s plans to strengthen its defence capabilities. North Korean state media had criticised Japan’s latest defence policy document a day earlier, accusing Tokyo of using the North Korean threat to justify an increase in military spending and capabilities. The US Indo-Pacific Command said it was coordinating closely with South Korea and Japan. Its initial assessment was that the missile launch did not pose an immediate threat to US territory, American personnel or its allies.

  • | |

    Israel revokes entry permits of US Jewish activist…

    JERUSALEM: Israel has withdrawn the entry permits of several American Jewish activists who took part in protests in the occupied West Bank against attacks on Palestinians and damage to their property, according to a report by US Jewish publication The Forward. Among those affected was activist Sam Sherman, who said his travel permit was canceled while he was participating in a seven-week volunteer programme in Masafer Yatta, where he had been working alongside Palestinian residents. Sherman told the publication that several members of his group received cancellation notices within minutes of one another. He said Israeli soldiers, police and armed settlers had photographed his passport during confrontations that he described as being initiated by settlers. According to Sherman, the activists had been peacefully spending time with local Palestinians but were treated by Israeli authorities as though their presence itself constituted a serious offence. The reported permit cancellations come amid continued tensions in the occupied West Bank, where confrontations involving Palestinians, Israeli settlers and security forces remain a major source of concern.

  • |

    Norris takes pole in Hungary as Hamilton penalty d…

    McLaren’s Lando Norris took his first grand prix pole position of the season in Hungary, but Lewis Hamilton was denied the chance to make it an all-British front row by a three-place penalty for impeding. Norris beat Hamilton by just 0.012 seconds with the very last lap of the session, securing pole in the upgraded McLaren. The seven-time champion had been fastest on the first runs, by just over 0.1 seconds from Norris, but neither he nor teammate Charles Leclerc could improve on their final attempts. However, Hamilton’s penalty for blocking Norris’s teammate Oscar Piastri dropped him to fifth, promoting Leclerc to second on the grid. Piastri moves up to fourth, while Mercedes driver Kimi Antonelli will start third, with George Russell seventh. The chaotic end to the session was caused by a spin at the final corner by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, which affected Antonelli and Russell, forcing them to slow. Verstappen had got going again before Norris came around as the last driver on track to clinch pole. Norris said: “Very happy to be back on top, especially at a track where you certainly want to be on pole. I had confidence the whole of today. My laps were good.” All the drivers were battling with a Hungaroring track surface that was breaking up, especially in the final two corners, where Norris said it was especially difficult to judge the grip level. Even before the incident with Verstappen, Russell was afflicted on his final run by a water leak, which was spraying water on to his rear tyres. Mercedes asked him to pull over immediately after crossing the line, and he parked at Turn One, in an attempt to avoid damaging the engine. Antonelli said: “I think we were just slightly out of the window with tyres, then in Q3 we did a good step and the car just felt finally a bit more alive. For sure it was a shame with the yellow flags, but it happens. P3 was on the table today but still not good enough for pole.” The Hungarian Grand Prix promises to be an exciting race, with Norris on pole and Leclerc alongside him on the front row. Hamilton’s penalty has disrupted the grid, but the seven-time champion will be looking to fight his way through the field. The race will be a test of strategy and tyre management, with the track surface likely to play a significant role in the outcome. Fans are eagerly anticipating the action, with the Hungaroring historically producing exciting races. The battle between Norris, Hamilton, and the rest of the field is set to be a thrilling contest, with the championship implications adding to the drama. As the race weekend unfolds, the focus will be on whether Norris can convert his pole position into a victory, or whether Hamilton and the others can challenge for the top step of the podium. The Hungarian Grand Prix promises to be a highlight of the Formula 1 season, with the drivers and teams ready to put on a show for the fans.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *