pakistan seal sevenwicket
|

Pakistan seal seven-wicket win over County Select XI

BECKENHAM: Pakistan produced a strong second-half turnaround on Saturday, defeating the Professional County Club Select XI by seven wickets in their three-day practice match at the Kent County Cricket Ground.

Chasing 262 runs for victory on the final day, Pakistan made the target look comfortable, reaching 265-3 in just 57.1 overs. The result provided an encouraging boost for the visitors ahead of their three-match Test series against England.

The star of Pakistan’s successful chase was Saud Shakeel, who delivered a composed unbeaten century. Coming in at No. 3 after opener Azan Awais was dismissed for just one, Saud took control of the innings and finished with 100 not out from 147 balls, hitting 10 fours and three sixes.

He found an ideal partner in Imam-ul-Haq, with the experienced opener producing an attacking 80 from 88 deliveries. Imam struck 13 boundaries and combined with Saud for a crucial 127-run partnership, effectively taking the game away from the hosts.

Mohammad Rizwan added a useful 33, while Awais Zafar remained unbeaten on 30 to complete the chase.

Earlier, the PCC Select XI resumed their second innings at 128-3, holding a 195-run lead. Pakistan’s bowlers, however, quickly turned the pressure into wickets. The hosts managed only 66 additional runs before being dismissed for 194.

Falconer top-scored with 56, while Saif Zaib and Manny Lumsden contributed 24 each.

Spinner Ali Usman was Pakistan’s standout bowler, finishing with an impressive five wickets for 42 runs. Ubaid Shah claimed two wickets for just nine runs, while Salman Ali Agha, Sajid Khan and Mohammad Ali took one apiece.

The comeback victory comes at an important moment for Pakistan. With their first Test against England scheduled to begin in Leeds on August 19, the performances of Saud, Imam and the bowling attack offer Pakistan plenty of confidence.

After struggling earlier in the match, Pakistan finished strongly — exactly the kind of response they will hope to carry into the Test series.

Brief Scores

Pakistan beat PCC Select XI by seven wickets

PCC Select XI: 305 (S. Zaib 65, M. Fisher 62*, C. Falconer 59, T. Haines 51; M. Ali 3-23, M. Abbas 3-37) & 194 (C. Falconer 56, J. Rew 40; A. Usman 5-42, U. Shah 2-9)

Pakistan: 238 (A. Shafique 61; S. Bashir 4-76) & 264-3 (S. Shakeel 100*, I. ul-Haq 80 retired not out)

Result: Pakistan won by 7 wickets.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Anger boils over as residents jeer French PM in Gironde

    French Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu faced a hostile reception in the Gironde region on Monday. Residents booed him during a visit to Le Porge, amid growing anger over the government’s handling of recent wildfires. Lecornu had travelled to the area to meet local officials and discuss reconstruction efforts following a devastating wildfire last month. The visit, however, quickly turned tense. Footage published by BFMTV showed residents jeering as the prime minister arrived. Several locals also criticised him for leaving without engaging freely with the community. Speaking to AFP, 65-year-old resident Tony Veiga said the least Lecornu could have done was actually meet with residents directly. He said the government’s approach made people feel as though they simply didn’t matter. Lecornu’s office responded by saying he had spoken with affected residents and farmers during the visit. Speaking separately with officials in nearby Merignac, the prime minister insisted there was nothing to hide regarding how fire protection efforts had been carried out in recent weeks. According to AFP, much of the anger stems from allegations that authorities prioritised protecting the affluent Cap-Ferret peninsula over ordinary local homes during the firefighting response. Lecornu firmly rejected those claims, denying any preferential treatment had taken place. The backlash adds to broader frustration across parts of Europe currently grappling with wildfire emergencies. Meanwhile, the European Commission has ramped up support elsewhere on the continent, deploying additional firefighting resources to both Belgium and Spain through its civil protection mechanism. Swedish aircraft and helicopters from several European countries have been sent to Belgium to assist with ongoing fire response efforts there. Separately, 104 French firefighters and 36 vehicles have joined operations in Spain to help combat blazes spreading through the region. With wildfires continuing to strain resources across multiple European countries, pressure on national governments to respond effectively is likely to remain high in the coming weeks. For Lecornu, Monday’s frosty reception in Gironde signals that public patience with the government’s crisis response is wearing thin.

  • | |

    Motorway controversy rocks Senate: officer suspend…

    Islamabad: A controversy over a motorway incident involving a couple’s video and growing concerns over delayed road projects dominated the Senate Standing Committee on Communications meeting, where lawmakers questioned the role of motorway police and raised serious concerns over incomplete highways due to funding problems. The committee was informed that the motorway police officer involved in the incident had been suspended and an inquiry was underway after officials clarified that moral policing is not part of the department’s official duties. Inspector General Motorway Police told the committee that the incident took place on 16 July when motorway police found a vehicle parked on the roadside. He said an argument developed when the vehicle moved away. The IG informed lawmakers that stopping people for moral reasons is not included in the motorway police’s standard operating procedures. He assured the committee that action had been taken against the officer involved and the inquiry would be completed soon. The Senate Standing Committee on Communications, chaired by Senator Pervaiz Rashid, also reviewed major road development issues and questioned delays in important infrastructure projects. During the meeting, lawmakers raised concerns over the incomplete Kuchlak to Zhob N50 Highway project, which covers around 298 kilometres. Officials informed the committee that the project remains unfinished because of a shortage of funds. Senator Zameer Hussain Ghumro questioned why new development plans are considered when existing projects are still waiting for completion. The Additional Secretary of the Ministry of Communications informed the committee that no new projects had been started during the current year. The committee stressed that incomplete projects increase public difficulties and may also increase costs because delays often create additional financial pressure. Members discussed improving the National Highway Authority’s funding system so road projects can continue without stopping due to delayed payments. The committee recommended that project funds should be released every three months to ensure contractors receive payments on time and construction work continues smoothly. Officials also discussed creating a bridge financial system to prevent road projects from being affected by temporary funding shortages. The committee was briefed about financial matters related to development loans and agreed that funding mechanisms should be discussed separately to create better policies for future projects. Senator Muhammad Abdul Qadir also raised concerns about the distribution of development funds and pointed out differences in allocation for road projects. He said that out of Rs116 billion approved for Balochistan, around Rs100 billion was allocated for the N25 Highway project. The committee said better planning was needed to ensure development funds are distributed effectively and important routes receive timely attention. Several questions related to road projects in Chitral and Balochistan, including CPEC related highways and the Karachi Bela Road, could not be discussed because the members who had submitted the questions were not present.

  • |

    Imtiaz Ali celebrates ‘Main Vaapas Aaunga’s rare 50-day run

    Main Vaapas Aaunga has pulled off something most films rarely manage. The Partition-era love story has slowly grown into one of this year’s standout box office stories. What makes it even more special is that it did so purely on word of mouth. Helmed by filmmaker Imtiaz Ali, the film brings together Diljit Dosanjh, Naseeruddin Shah, Sharvari, and Vedang Raina. It has now completed a full 50 days in theatres. The film continues to draw audiences well into its eighth week of release. Trade data from Sacnilk shows the film was made on a budget of nearly Rs 70 crore. Its collections have now touched Rs 99.21 crore worldwide. For a film that opened on a slower note, this steady climb marks a genuine turnaround. Marking the milestone, the 55-year-old director shared a warm, personal note with fans. His message centered entirely around gratitude for the audience’s support. “50 days in cinemas!! This is a rare feat for any film,” Ali wrote. He said his first thought upon reaching this milestone was one of thankfulness toward viewers. According to him, it was ordinary moviegoers who connected emotionally with the story and then encouraged friends and family to watch it too. He described this word of mouth as something that happened simply because people liked the film, with no other push behind it. Imtiaz Ali also spoke about what this success represents for the Hindi film industry at large. He called the audience’s warm response a source of encouragement for filmmakers everywhere. He also noted that this love would continue pushing him to create better, more engaging cinema going forward. The Rockstar director did not limit his gratitude to his own project. He also congratulated the broader Hindi film industry for the healthy theatre attendance seen throughout the year. Main Vaapas Aaunga initially opened across 804 screens spanning 59 countries. The film’s reach later grew further, with 15 additional European territories added to its release. Interestingly, the film also found strong footing in cities not traditionally known as Hindi cinema strongholds, including Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, and Kolkata. Given its consistent run and growing numbers, Main Vaapas Aaunga looks set to remain a major talking point in Bollywood for weeks to come.

  • | |

    15.91% spike exposes federal spending challenge

    Controlling the rise in federal government administrative expenses has become a major challenge. Despite repeated claims of reducing expenditure and implementing austerity measures, the cost of running federal government affairs has increased by 15.91 per cent. The rise has raised concerns over the government’s efforts to control its administrative spending. The increase comes despite measures announced by the government to reduce unnecessary expenditure and promote financial discipline. According to the available details, spending on running government affairs has exceeded both the official target and the revised estimates. This means that actual administrative expenditure has remained higher than the levels projected by the government. The increase in spending also highlights the difficulties faced by the federal government in keeping its administrative costs under control. The government has been under pressure to reduce non-development expenditure and improve the efficiency of public spending. Authorities have introduced various austerity measures in an attempt to limit government expenditure. These measures were aimed at reducing unnecessary costs and ensuring better management of public resources. However, the latest increase indicates that controlling administrative spending remains a significant challenge. The higher-than-target expenditure could also put additional pressure on the government’s overall fiscal position. The development comes at a time when the federal government is seeking to maintain fiscal discipline and reduce unnecessary spending. Higher administrative costs could make it more difficult to achieve these objectives. The government is expected to face continued pressure to review its spending patterns and identify areas where expenditure can be reduced

  • |

    DR Congo bans copper and cobalt concentrate exports to boost domestic smelting

    The Democratic Republic of Congo has banned the export of copper and cobalt concentrates, accelerating national efforts to enforce in-country mineral processing and retain greater economic value from its natural resources. The ministerial decree, signed by Mines Minister Louis Kabamba Watum, Foreign Trade Minister Julien Paluku Kahongya, and Economy Minister Daniel Mukoko Samba, takes effect immediately. The regulation revokes a previous 2023 framework and its associated exemptions, replacing them with a comprehensive structure governing mineral exports alongside a new tax regime on mining by-products. Following news of the export ban, benchmark three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange rose by up to 1.8 per cent to $14,369.50 per metric ton, approaching historic record highs. While the prohibition is absolute, the decree allows for temporary one-year waivers under specific strategic circumstances. Major mining operators, including Ivanhoe Mines, which runs the Kamoa-Kakula copper complex in partnership with Zijin Mining,indicated that domestic processing facilities, such as the on-site smelter and the Lualaba copper smelter in Kolwezi, process the majority of local yields. Analysts note that because the vast majority of Congolese copper and cobalt is already refined locally into cathodes and hydroxides prior to shipment, the new policy primarily aims to eliminate remaining concentrate exports while standardising royalty collections across trace mineral by-products.

  • |

    ‘Jana Nayagan’ roars past Rs 200 crore worldwide in just four days

    Vijay’s latest release, “Jana Nayagan”, is gaining serious momentum at the box office. The film has already crossed Rs 200 crore globally within its first four days, boosted by a strong surge in earnings on its opening Sunday. According to trade tracker Sacnilk, the movie earned approximately Rs 32 crore net in India on Day 4 alone. That marks a 10.7% increase compared to Saturday’s Rs 28.90 crore haul. With this latest jump, the film’s total domestic net now stands at Rs 124.75 crore, while its gross collection has reached Rs 145.98 crore. This achievement makes “Jana Nayagan” only the second Tamil film this year to cross the Rs 100 crore mark within India. Suriya’s “Karuppu” still holds the lead among Tamil releases in 2026, with a lifetime total of Rs 198 crore. However, “Jana Nayagan” appears to be closing in fast. It has already surpassed several other releases this year, including “Parasakthi” at Rs 53 crore and “Love Insurance Kompany” at Rs 43 crore, while also overtaking “Dragon” (Rs 102 crore) and “Sikandar” (Rs 104 crore). Internationally, the film added another Rs 10 crore in gross earnings on Sunday, bringing its overseas total to Rs 71.50 crore. Combined with domestic numbers, the worldwide tally now sits at Rs 217.48 crore after just four days in theaters. Breaking down Sunday’s collections by language, the Tamil version contributed Rs 27.30 crore net, followed by Hindi at Rs 3.35 crore and Telugu at Rs 1.35 crore. Theater occupancy remained robust in Tamil Nadu, averaging 69% overall and climbing to nearly 78% during evening screenings. Meanwhile, Hindi and Telugu versions saw comparatively modest occupancy, hovering between 21% and 24%. Regionally, Tamil Nadu continued to lead ticket sales, generating Rs 22.50 crore in gross revenue on Day 4. Karnataka followed with Rs 4.75 crore, then Kerala at Rs 2.85 crore, and Andhra Pradesh-Telangana combined for Rs 2.05 crore. The remaining regions across India contributed Rs 5.02 crore, pushing the total Day 4 domestic gross to Rs 37.17 crore. Directed by H Vinoth, “Jana Nayagan” features a notable ensemble cast alongside Vijay, including Pooja Hegde, Bobby Deol, and Mamitha Baiju rounding out the lead roles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *