preparations complete 2nd
| |

Preparations complete for 2nd phase of AJK legisla…

Lahore: Preparations are in full swing for the second phase of the elections to the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly, during which polling will also be held for 12 seats reserved for Kashmiri refugees residing in Pakistan. These refugees migrated to Pakistan following the Partition of British India in 1947 and continue to elect their representatives to the AJK Legislative Assembly.

Election authorities are set to distribute polling materials and election-related equipment to polling staff today. Polling for two refugee constituencies in Lahore will take place on Sunday, with thousands of registered Kashmiri refugee voters expected to cast their ballots.

LA-34 Jammu Constituency

For LA-34 Jammu, a total of 15 polling stations have been established in Lahore. These include one male polling station, one female polling station, and 13 combined polling stations.

The constituency has a total of 5,965 registered voters, comprising 3,175 male and 2,790 female voters. Election authorities have set up 30 polling booths to facilitate voting.

A total of 17 candidates are contesting the seat. Among the prominent candidates, Bilal Mukhtar Butt of the Istehkam-e-Pakistan Party (IPP) has been allotted the Eagle symbol, Chaudhry Abdul Qadir Chauhan of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) will contest on the Arrow symbol, Raja Muhammad Sohail of Jamaat-e-Islami has been assigned the Scales symbol, while Nasir Hussain Dar of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) will contest on the Lion symbol.

LA-41 Valley Constituency

Polling for LA-41 Valley will also be held on Sunday. The constituency has 6,410 registered voters in total.

Out of these, 5,708 voters are registered in Lahore, 583 in Sheikhupura, 117 in Nankana Sahib, and two voters in Kasur.

Election authorities have established 19 polling stations for the constituency, including 13 in Lahore, four in Sheikhupura, and one each in Nankana Sahib and Kasur. Notably, a dedicated polling station has been established in Kasur for just two registered voters, ensuring that every eligible voter is able to exercise their constitutional right.

A total of nine candidates are contesting the LA-41 seat. The main contest is expected between PML-N candidate Muhammad Amir Shah and independent candidate Saba Diwan, who is backed by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI). PPP candidate Ghulam Abbas Mir and IPP candidate Saeed Ahmad Dar are also among the contestants.

Polling across both constituencies will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, with election officials making arrangements to ensure a smooth, transparent, and peaceful voting process.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Punjab University introduces AI Chatbot amid recor…

    LAHORE: Punjab University has witnessed a significant increase in applications for its undergraduate programs, receiving more than 25,000 additional confirmed applications compared to last year, reflecting growing student confidence in the institution’s academic standards. According to a university spokesperson, the university received 147,909 applications for undergraduate admissions this year, of which 113,182 were finalized. In comparison, during the first phase of admissions in 2025, the university received 120,395 applications, with 87,831 successfully completed. Vice Chancellor Dr. Muhammad Ali said the record rise in applications demonstrates that Punjab University continues to be the preferred choice for students seeking quality higher education. He noted that the increasing number of applicants highlights the trust students and their families place in the university’s academic reputation. Dr. Ali said the university remains committed to providing students with the best possible opportunities to develop academically while enhancing their research, extracurricular, and professional skills. He emphasized that the institution aims to produce capable, responsible, and ethical graduates who can make meaningful contributions to society, industry, and the country’s development. In a first for the university, Punjab University has also introduced an AI-powered chatbot to assist applicants during the admission and entry test process, making information and guidance more accessible while improving the overall admissions experience.

  • |

    FBR demonstrates digital tax return features to Karachi tax bar

    ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has demonstrated several features of its digital income tax return system to the Karachi Tax Bar Association (KTBA), including mechanisms for reporting investments in immovable property, declaring multiple business capital accounts, recording inheritance assets and calculating tax under relevant provisions of the law. The demonstration was held during an online consultation between the FBR Domain Team and representatives of the KTBA as part of the tax authority’s efforts to obtain feedback from taxpayers and tax practitioners on the design and functionality of the income tax return system. The meeting focused on improving the digital filing experience and identifying areas where the online return could be made simpler, more efficient and easier for taxpayers and professionals to use. KTBA President Mehmood Bikiya welcomed the FBR’s prompt response in arranging the session and appreciated the efforts made by the Domain Team to develop a responsive and user-friendly return system. According to the participants, the existing system is operating satisfactorily, with no major technical problems or significant glitches reported during the discussion. Instead, the meeting primarily focused on clarifications, suggestions for improvement and practical issues faced by tax practitioners while completing returns. The FBR officials addressed a number of queries through live demonstrations, allowing participants to better understand the available options and procedures within the digital system. During the session, the Domain Team demonstrated how taxpayers can report investments in immovable property, enter details of more than one business capital, declare tax under applicable sections and include inherited property in their tax records. Officials also clarified that certain information fields are optional. In particular, the chassis number required in the vehicle-related section does not have to be entered where it is not applicable or available. The consultation also covered several policy-related matters raised by the KTBA. These included the timing of refund applications, deemed assessment orders and procedures for revising income tax returns. The FBR Domain Team explained that such matters are governed by existing policy provisions, including the 15-day rule relating to deemed assessments. The concerns and proposals raised by the tax bar were also forwarded to the FBR’s Policy Wing for examination. Both sides agreed that continued consultations between tax officials and tax practitioners could help address implementation-related concerns and improve taxpayers’ understanding of the digital filing process. The KTBA also submitted several proposals for future versions of the income tax return system. One of the key suggestions was to introduce an option for uploading data through Excel files, which could reduce the time required to manually enter large volumes of information. Other proposals included reconsidering the requirement to enter certain financial information in subsequent years and introducing a system-generated PDF explaining the relevant legal provisions concerning residence status. The FBR Domain Team recorded the suggestions and indicated that they would be considered for possible incorporation into future versions of the return system. Most of the technical and operational questions raised during the meeting were resolved through on-screen demonstrations and explanations by the FBR team. The exercise also provided practitioners with a clearer understanding of the functions already available on the digital platform. KTBA Vice President Saud ul Hasan appreciated the FBR’s willingness to engage directly with representatives of the tax community. He said continued interaction between tax practitioners and the revenue authorities could promote greater understanding of taxpayers’ concerns and strengthen confidence in the digital filing mechanism. The FBR, meanwhile, reiterated its commitment to maintaining regular consultations with the business community, tax practitioners and their representative organisations. The tax authority said feedback received through such engagements would remain important in improving the income tax return system and making the filing process more transparent, straightforward and taxpayer-friendly.

  • |

    Sanya Malhotra says desi ‘acts of service’ hurt women

    Sanya Malhotra has spoken about breaking old patterns in her own family. She admitted she “forced” her mother to step back from the kitchen and focus on herself instead. According to her, the habit of women expressing love through nonstop service is not healthy. In many South Asian homes, she said, women spend their days caring for others while their own goals get set aside. She brought this up in a recent interview. Her own house followed the same pattern growing up. Women stayed in the kitchen. Men waited around for things to be handed to them. She said she didn’t fully see how much pressure her mother was under until she moved away to Mumbai. One memory stood out for her. Her mother once cried simply because she felt too sick to cook. Sanya told her that food had nothing to do with love. She explained that cooking is just one way people show care, not the only way it can be shown. That moment shifted things at home. Sanya started nudging her parents away from old habits. Her mother now listens when Sanya tells her to skip the kitchen for a day. She said it makes her proud watching her mother take time for herself in the mornings instead of rushing straight to chores. Her father was not left out either. Sanya said she often pushed him to do small things, like getting his own glass of water or making a simple meal. She admitted the change has not fully stuck yet, but she keeps reminding him. She connected all of this to her character in Mrs. In the film, she plays a newlywed whose entire identity gets swallowed by household duties. Sanya said many women tell her the story feels personal to them. That response, she said, leaves her both upset and hopeful, since even a small shift in mindset feels worth it to her. She also called out how sacrifice tends to get romanticised, especially when it comes to mothers. Women, she said, are often expected to give up their own dreams the moment they become parents. Talking about her mother’s past, Sanya revealed she once wanted to become a fashion designer. It took her years to understand her mother had dreams of her own beyond raising a family. As for the criticism Mrs received, Sanya said none of it bothered her. She said she has no interest in defending her views to people who never even watched the film. She last appeared in Netflix’s Toaster and is currently working on Bandar and Sundar Poonam.

  • | | |

    Wheat imports spark farmer anger

    The federal government’s decision to import one million tonnes of wheat has sparked strong criticism from farmers and agricultural experts. The move has raised concerns about Pakistan’s food policy and the country’s continued dependence on imported grain despite being a major wheat producer. Pakistan produces around 31 million tonnes of wheat annually. The crop covers nearly 40 per cent of the country’s cultivated area and remains a major part of the daily diet of millions of people. Punjab is the country’s largest wheat-producing province and contributes almost three-fourths of national production. Farmers and experts say the issue is not simply about wheat availability. They believe repeated imports are linked to weak planning, inaccurate crop estimates, poor storage facilities, post-harvest losses and inconsistent government policies. Population growth and changing weather patterns have also increased pressure on the wheat supply chain. Farmer organisations have strongly opposed the import decision. They say local growers are still struggling to sell their recently harvested wheat. Many farmers claim they are receiving prices below their production costs after spending heavily on seeds, fertiliser, pesticides, diesel and electricity. Growers fear that imported wheat could further reduce local prices. They argue that the government should first ensure that locally produced wheat is purchased at fair rates before turning to international markets. The controversy has also highlighted changes in Pakistan’s wheat procurement system. Under wider economic reforms linked to the International Monetary Fund programme, successive governments have reduced state intervention in agricultural markets. The aim is to limit government losses and encourage greater private-sector participation. The IMF has not directly ordered Pakistan to stop purchasing wheat from farmers. However, governments have moved away from the traditional procurement and support price system. Provincial authorities have also reduced wheat purchases, leaving farmers increasingly dependent on private traders. Farmers say the transition has not been properly managed. They argue that private buyers now have greater influence over prices because of weak market regulation. This has forced some growers to sell their wheat below production costs.

  • |

    Meloni demands probe into Bologna death after violent clashes

    Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has called for a thorough investigation into the death of a man during a police operation in Bologna, while strongly condemning violent protests that left dozens of police officers injured. The incident occurred in the Pilastro area of Bologna, where police were called to respond to reports of an aggressive man damaging a vehicle. The man, identified as Moroccan-born Abderrahim Fakir, died following the confrontation with police. Meloni said all facts surrounding the incident must be established through a transparent investigation. She stressed that the truth should be determined without bias and that responsibility should be identified based on evidence. The situation later escalated when protesters gathered in Bologna and clashes broke out with police. Demonstrators threw firecrackers, bottles and chairs at law enforcement personnel, prompting police to use tear gas and water cannons to control the crowd. Police officials said 56 officers were injured during the violent demonstrations. Meloni condemned the attacks on security personnel, saying violence could not be justified under any circumstances. Authorities have launched an investigation into the man’s death. Bologna police said body-camera footage from the officers involved would be handed over to investigators as part of the inquiry. According to initial reports, officers attempted to calm Fakir before using pepper spray and restraining him while trying to place him under arrest after he allegedly became aggressive. The incident has triggered political debate across Italy, with opposition parties demanding accountability and government supporters defending the actions of police officers. Meloni accused some protesters of using the incident as an excuse to create unrest rather than seeking justice. She said those responsible for attacking police and damaging public property were pursuing confrontation instead of the truth.

  • |

    Brazil recalls ambassador after Milei labels Lula a “thief” at campaign rally

    Relations between Brazil and Argentina have taken another sharp turn after Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was indirectly attacked by Argentine President Javier Milei during a political rally in Sao Paulo. Brazil responded by recalling its ambassador from Buenos Aires, calling Milei’s remarks an insult to the country’s leadership, institutions, and democracy. Milei traveled to Brazil over the weekend to support Flavio Bolsonaro, who officially launched his campaign for Brazil’s presidential election scheduled for October. Flavio is the son of former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro and is representing the right wing Liberal Party after his father was barred from seeking office. During his speech, Milei did not mention Lula by name but referred to “the thief” and “the convict,” comments widely understood to be aimed at the Brazilian president. The remarks referenced Lula’s previous imprisonment on corruption charges before those convictions were later overturned, allowing him to return to politics and win the 2022 presidential election. Standing alongside Flavio Bolsonaro, Milei praised the candidate and said he believed he was the only person capable of defeating Lula in the upcoming election. The Argentine president has maintained close political ties with the Bolsonaro family and has openly supported their conservative agenda. Milei also criticized a senior Brazilian Supreme Court judge who oversaw legal proceedings involving Jair Bolsonaro. Without naming Justice Alexandre de Moraes directly, he used insulting language while referring to the judge. Earlier this month, Moraes rejected Milei’s request to visit the former Brazilian president, who is currently under house arrest in Brasilia. Jair Bolsonaro is serving a prison sentence of more than 27 years after being convicted of plotting a coup to remain in power following his defeat in the 2022 election. Because he is no longer eligible to run for public office, he has endorsed his son Flavio as the candidate for his party in this year’s presidential race. Brazilian officials reacted strongly to Milei’s comments. According to diplomatic sources, the statements were viewed as offensive not only to the country’s president but also to its judiciary, democratic institutions, and the Brazilian people. In response, Brazil recalled its ambassador from Argentina in a diplomatic protest, signaling growing frustration with Milei’s repeated criticism of the Brazilian government. President Lula did not directly address Milei’s speech during a public event on Sunday. However, he appeared to respond indirectly by saying that Brazil would not accept interference from outsiders in its internal affairs. His comments were seen as a clear message that foreign leaders should avoid becoming involved in Brazil’s domestic political disputes. The latest exchange has further strained ties between South America’s two largest economies. Despite their political differences, Brazil and Argentina remain each other’s biggest trading partners, making stable diplomatic relations important for regional trade and economic cooperation. With Brazil’s presidential election approaching, political tensions are expected to remain high. Milei’s public support for Flavio Bolsonaro and his criticism of Lula have added an international dimension to the campaign, increasing pressure on relations between the neighboring countries at a time when cooperation remains vital on economic and regional issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *