wheat imports spark
| | |

Wheat imports spark farmer anger

The federal government’s decision to import one million tonnes of wheat has sparked strong criticism from farmers and agricultural experts. The move has raised concerns about Pakistan’s food policy and the country’s continued dependence on imported grain despite being a major wheat producer.

Pakistan produces around 31 million tonnes of wheat annually. The crop covers nearly 40 per cent of the country’s cultivated area and remains a major part of the daily diet of millions of people. Punjab is the country’s largest wheat-producing province and contributes almost three-fourths of national production.

Farmers and experts say the issue is not simply about wheat availability. They believe repeated imports are linked to weak planning, inaccurate crop estimates, poor storage facilities, post-harvest losses and inconsistent government policies. Population growth and changing weather patterns have also increased pressure on the wheat supply chain.

Farmer organisations have strongly opposed the import decision. They say local growers are still struggling to sell their recently harvested wheat. Many farmers claim they are receiving prices below their production costs after spending heavily on seeds, fertiliser, pesticides, diesel and electricity.

Growers fear that imported wheat could further reduce local prices. They argue that the government should first ensure that locally produced wheat is purchased at fair rates before turning to international markets.

The controversy has also highlighted changes in Pakistan’s wheat procurement system. Under wider economic reforms linked to the International Monetary Fund programme, successive governments have reduced state intervention in agricultural markets. The aim is to limit government losses and encourage greater private-sector participation.

The IMF has not directly ordered Pakistan to stop purchasing wheat from farmers. However, governments have moved away from the traditional procurement and support price system. Provincial authorities have also reduced wheat purchases, leaving farmers increasingly dependent on private traders.

Farmers say the transition has not been properly managed. They argue that private buyers now have greater influence over prices because of weak market regulation. This has forced some growers to sell their wheat below production costs.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Raja Pervaiz Ashraf urges PPP to boycott final AJK…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Raja Pervaiz Ashraf on Sunday said the party should consider rejecting the results of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections and boycott the third phase of polling, alleging widespread irregularities and electoral misconduct. Speaking at a press conference alongside PPP leader Sherry Rehman and other party members in Islamabad, the former prime minister clarified that the proposal reflected his personal opinion, adding that the final decision would be made by the party’s central leadership. Ashraf alleged that the elections were neither free, fair nor transparent, warning that such results would fail to gain public acceptance. He said political workers were well aware of constituencies where the party had strong support and accused the authorities of manipulating outcomes in areas where the PPP expected to perform well. Expressing disappointment over the second phase of the AJK elections, he said the PPP had already submitted documented evidence of irregularities during the first phase. He referred to one constituency where polling could not be held because election materials allegedly failed to reach polling stations. Ashraf questioned the explanation, saying election materials are normally delivered a day before polling and not on election day. He argued that such failures reflected serious administrative shortcomings. The PPP leader also alleged that party workers were assaulted and forcibly removed from polling stations during voting. He said the PPP had formed a joint committee with its coalition partner, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), after the first phase in the hope that the Election Commission would ensure greater vigilance during the second phase. However, he claimed that similar incidents were repeated despite those efforts. While acknowledging that the PML-N remains a coalition ally, Ashraf questioned the party’s role in the alleged irregularities. He asked whether such conduct was consistent with democratic values and said transparent elections were the Election Commission’s foremost constitutional responsibility. He further alleged that the Chief Election Commissioner had failed to take action on any major complaint and accused the Election Commission of acting under the influence of a political party. According to Ashraf, the overall conduct of the elections suggested that the process had been pre-planned. The former prime minister also alleged that current AJK Speaker and Acting President Chaudhry Latif Akbar was physically attacked by PML-N supporters. He claimed that Akbar was abused, assaulted and punched during the incident, criticising attempts to describe the episode as a mere verbal altercation. Ashraf further claimed that a long-time PPP worker was killed in the Khawra constituency and questioned the credibility of an electoral process in which, he alleged, violence had overshadowed voting. He also referred to the Kotli constituency, where polling reportedly could not be completed because election materials did not reach polling stations, saying it was the Election Commission’s responsibility to ensure timely delivery. He added that voting was also suspended at several polling stations in the constituency of Bazil Naqvi.

  • | | |

    X blocks Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree’s…

    SANAA: Social media platform X has reportedly suspended the account of Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree, removing an important online channel used to communicate statements and announcements by the Yemen-based group. The account had more than 121,500 followers and was widely used for posts concerning the Houthis’ military activities and claims of attacks in the Red Sea and surrounding waters. According to the report, visitors to the account were shown an “Account Suspended” notice. X’s standard message on suspended accounts says the platform takes action against accounts that violate its rules. The specific reason for the suspension was not immediately clear. Saree has been a prominent public voice for the Houthi movement, frequently appearing in televised statements and issuing announcements concerning military operations. His statements have included claims about attacks on vessels in the Red Sea as well as operations targeting Saudi Arabia and other regional adversaries. The suspension could therefore affect one of the group’s most visible channels for communicating directly with its supporters and the wider public. Saree’s online presence has faced restrictions before. His earlier Twitter account was suspended in 2022, after which another account was created for continued communication. Historical reporting also shows that Houthi-affiliated accounts have faced changes to their verification status and other platform restrictions. The latest reported action comes amid continuing tensions surrounding Yemen and the Red Sea, where Houthi attacks on shipping have drawn international attention. The group has repeatedly said its operations are linked to the wider regional conflict and has issued statements claiming responsibility for attacks against vessels. The Houthis’ military statements are often closely watched because they provide the group’s own account of operations, although claims about attacks and damage are not always independently verified. The reported suspension also raises broader questions about how social media platforms handle accounts belonging to armed groups and their spokespeople, particularly when those accounts are used both for political messaging and military announcements. While the immediate reason for the latest action remains unclear, the removal of Saree’s account could make it more difficult for the Houthi movement to communicate through one of its established social media channels. For now, attention is likely to remain on whether X provides a specific explanation for the suspension and whether Saree or the Houthi authorities establish another account to continue distributing official statements.

  • |

    Sonu Nigam opens up on being banned by music companies over copyright fight

    Sonu Nigam recently revisited one of the most controversial chapters of his career. He spoke about it during a candid conversation on the YouTube show Game Changers with Komal Nahta. The topic centered on the time music companies banned him after he raised his voice on copyright issues. Nigam began by looking back at how well his career was going before the controversy started. He said albums kept releasing one after another during that time. Audiences loved his work, and everything seemed to be going smoothly. That changed the moment he raised concerns over copyright. Several music companies responded by cutting ties with him entirely. He recalled how people within the industry began labelling him an activist at the time. The tone behind that label, he noted, was often dismissive rather than respectful. Looking back now, he finds it ironic that those same companies eventually started paying him royalties. He added that representatives from these companies now visit his home as guests. Nigam also explained his reasoning behind taking such a bold stand at the time. He said someone had to take the risk, comparing his decision to belling the cat. According to him, he felt he was meant for something bigger than just singing. He believed he was destined to carry forward a movement that legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar had once started. That movement, he said, had never reached its logical conclusion. When asked whether he felt scared during that turbulent period, Nigam said fear was not something he experienced. He admitted he never expected to actually get banned in the first place. He initially believed things would eventually work out on their own. However, as the situation kept worsening and more doors closed around him, he found strength through his live performances instead. He felt confident that nobody could stop him once he stepped on stage. Nigam went on to describe how his relationship with music companies gradually improved over time. He credited changing laws, along with the industry’s eventual realization that his stance had been justified. According to him, this shift slowly repaired his equation with these companies. Today, he said, their interactions feel warm and almost familial in nature. Reflecting on the entire journey, Nigam suggested that everyone involved likely needed to go through that difficult phase for real change to happen. He noted that any bitterness or resentment that once existed between him and the industry has since completely faded away, leaving behind a much healthier relationship.

  • Missing 57 Million Litres of Fuel Off-Loaded at Sea, Justice Minister Says

    BANGKOK — The amount of fuel oil that has gone missing at sea could be more than 57 million litres, and it was off-loaded from oil tankers onto smaller vessels over 96 trips, Justice Minister Rutthapon Naowarat said today. Authorities Probe Mystery Loss of 57 Million Litres of Fuel in Surat Thani The minister did […]

  • Thailand Tightens Borders with Enhanced Biometric Screening to Combat Crime

    In a significant move to bolster national security, Thai Immigration announced on 25 November enhanced screening and verification measures for all foreign nationals entering and exiting the kingdom. The initiative, which applies across all international airports and land border checkpoints, is designed to prevent individuals from disguising themselves as tourists to commit crimes or engage […]

  • Russian Man Causes Chaos on Flight, Denied Entry to Thailand

    BANGKOK – A Russian passenger was denied entry to Thailand after causing significant disruption on a flight from Vietnam, behaving erratically, stripping off his clothing, and attempting to force open an aircraft door mid-flight. British Airways Upgrades Passenger Who Tackled Drunk Russian on Flight to Bangkok The incident occurred on January 29, 2026, aboard Thai […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *