orders fullscale flood

CM orders full-scale flood relief operations across Punjab

LAHORE – On the directions of Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif, relief operations are continuing in all flood-affected areas of the province, with the district administration and all relevant departments remaining fully mobilised.

Officials from the district administration, the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), Rescue 1122, Suthra Punjab, Health Clinic on Wheels, Field Hospitals, Livestock, Agriculture and other concerned departments are actively engaged in relief and rehabilitation efforts.

Under the Chief Minister’s directives, flood victims in Muridke, Sheikhupura, Hakimpura, Ferozewala, Pathan Colony and other affected areas are being shifted promptly to safer locations and relief camps. Rescue 1122 teams are conducting rescue operations using boats, ensuring the safe evacuation of residents along with their essential belongings.

The Chief Minister has also directed authorities to ensure the uninterrupted supply of medicines, food and other essential items for flood victims. Hygienically prepared meals are being provided three times a day breakfast, lunch and dinner to all affected families.

On the instructions of Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif, Chairman CMIT Shoaib Mirza visited the flood-hit areas to review the provision of meals to the affected people. Flood victims expressed satisfaction over receiving three meals a day delivered directly to their doorsteps.

In addition to cooked meals, dry milk and biscuits are also being distributed among the affected families as part of the ongoing relief efforts.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Ride-hailing driver reveals final journey of Waffl…

      The ride-hailing driver who transported Wafflix owner Mir Raza Ali shortly before his death has shared details of the young man’s final journey, describing how Ali personally guided him through several roads in Karachi before being dropped outside a bank in Gulistan-e-Johar. Ali, 25, was allegedly abducted from the PECHS area before his body was discovered in bushes near a wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Johar. Police initially suspected that he may have been tortured before being shot. The circumstances surrounding his death remained unclear for some time, including speculation over whether he had been murdered or had died by suicide. However, a second post-mortem reportedly strengthened his family’s claim that Ali had been killed. In a video statement released on Wednesday, the driver, Ehsanullah, recalled accepting Ali’s ride during the early hours of the morning. He said the booking came through at around 3:57am. After accepting it, he reached the pickup location at approximately 4:06am and called Ali a minute later to inform him that he had arrived. According to the driver, Ali asked him to wait for a couple of minutes before coming outside. Ehsanullah said Ali arrived around 4:09am, after which the journey began. The driver said they initially left the street and headed towards Khalid bin Waleed Road. He recalled that when he was about to take a turn, Ali stopped him and instructed him to use another route towards a one-way road leading towards Imtiaz and Tariq Road. During the journey, Ali reportedly asked whether the vehicle had Bluetooth or a speaker. After connecting his mobile phone, he played music while continuing to guide the driver. Ehsanullah said he relied on the navigation system while also following Ali’s instructions. The route reportedly took them from Tariq Road to Bahadurabad and then towards Aga Khan Hospital, Stadium Road, Millennium Wall and Perfume Chowk. They subsequently travelled through Johar Mor, Mosamiyat and Samama before reaching Continental Bakery. The driver said Ali then directed him to take another turn and continue ahead before eventually asking him to stop. Ehsanullah said he dropped Ali outside a bank and then left the area. Meanwhile, Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho acknowledged shortcomings in the investigation into Ali’s death. Speaking at a ceremony at the Sindh Bar Council, he said the case was being reassessed following a new medico-legal report. Odho described Ali’s death as tragic and said a new investigation team had been instructed to conduct a transparent and independent inquiry. He acknowledged that there had been lapses, particularly concerning the medico-legal process, and said the shortcomings would be addressed. Ali’s body was discovered on July 29 with a gunshot wound. Investigators later recovered a .30-bore pistol casing from the crime scene on August 6, although the firearm itself had not been found. Following concerns raised by Ali’s family and evidence suggesting he had been shot from behind, the previous investigation team was dissolved. A new team, headed by DIG Investigation and Crime Amir Farooqi, was formed. The family’s lawyer, Jibran Nasir, had previously called for an impartial investigation and alleged that the family had been pressured to accept a suicide explanation. A judicial magistrate in Karachi’s East district has also directed police to submit a progress report in the case by August 15 as the renewed investigation continues.

  • | |

    Motorcycle fire during one-wheeling leaves 8 injur…

    LAHORE: Eight people sustained burn injuries after a motorcycle caught fire during a one-wheeling stunt in Lahore’s Defence area on Sunday. According to police, the motorcycle suddenly caught fire while a young man was performing one-wheeling, causing flames to spread and injure eight people in the vicinity. SP Cantt Investigation said the injured were immediately shifted to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. Police have also registered a case against the motorcyclist following a complaint lodged by the police. Authorities are using CCTV footage and Safe City cameras to trace and arrest the suspect, who remains at large.

  • | |

    Maryam announces Basant 2027 dates

    Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz has announced that Basant will be celebrated in Lahore from March 12 to 14, 2027. In a statement, Maryam said the announcement followed the successful celebration of Basant in 2026. She expressed hope that the festival would once again bring Lahore to life with colours, culture, music and celebrations. The chief minister described Basant as a festival for the people. She encouraged citizens to participate in the celebrations and create lasting memories. Maryam also invited overseas Pakistanis and international visitors to attend the event. She asked them to mark March 12 to 14 on their calendars and plan their visits to Lahore. She said Lahore would once again be illuminated by the enthusiasm of the people during the festival. The announcement comes as preparations for the 2027 celebrations are expected to build on the experience of the previous year. The provincial government is expected to focus on organising the festivities while ensuring that the celebrations are conducted in an orderly manner. Maryam said she looked forward to welcoming visitors from Pakistan and abroad. She also expressed confidence that Basant 2027 would be organised successfully. The festival is traditionally associated with colourful kites, cultural activities and public celebrations. Lahore has historically been at the centre of Basant festivities in Punjab. Maryam concluded her announcement with a pledge to make Basant 2027 another successful and memorable celebration for the people.

  • | |

    Dar, Wang Yi discuss bilateral ties and SCO cooper…

    Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar held a meeting with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Council of Foreign Ministers’ meeting in Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan. The two leaders reviewed Pakistan-China relations, exchanged views on regional developments and discussed expanding cooperation through multilateral platforms. The meeting reaffirmed the close and longstanding partnership between Pakistan and China. Both sides discussed ways to further strengthen bilateral cooperation in areas of mutual interest, including diplomacy, regional peace, economic collaboration and strategic coordination. During the discussions, Dar thanked Wang Yi for appreciating Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts aimed at promoting regional peace and stability. He said Pakistan remains committed to dialogue, cooperation and peaceful engagement in addressing regional challenges. Wang Yi congratulated Pakistan on its upcoming responsibilities within the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. He extended his best wishes as Pakistan prepares to assume the chairmanship of the SCO Council of Heads of State for 2026–27 and host the SCO Summit in 2027. He expressed confidence that Pakistan would make a positive contribution to advancing the organisation’s objectives. Both foreign ministers also exchanged views on the regional and international situation. They agreed that continued consultation and cooperation among SCO member states are important for promoting peace, economic development, connectivity and regional stability. Earlier in the day, Dar met Kyrgyz President Sadyr Japarov at the presidential residence in Cholpon-Ata. During the meeting, he conveyed greetings from President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and thanked the Kyrgyz leadership for hosting the SCO foreign ministers’ meeting. The meeting with President Japarov focused on regional and global developments as well as the growing role of the SCO in strengthening cooperation among member states. Dar highlighted the importance of maintaining close collaboration as Pakistan prepares to lead the organisation during its upcoming chairmanship. The foreign minister is representing Pakistan at the two-day SCO Council of Foreign Ministers’ meeting, attended by foreign ministers from China, Russia, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Belarus and Pakistan. The meeting is reviewing key regional and international issues while preparing the agenda for the next SCO summit.

  • |

    CM Murad decides to transform Sindh PPP Unit into private limited company

    KARACHI : Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has decided to restructure the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Unit into a private limited company to build a more autonomous, commercially agile and investment-oriented PPP ecosystem for the next phase of development in the province. The decision was taken at a meeting chaired by the chief minister at the CM House on Wednesday. The meeting was attended by Special Assistant to the CM on Investment Syed Qasim Naveed, Chief Secretary Asif Hyder Shah, Principal Secretary to CM Agha Wasif, Planning and Development Board Chairman Najam Shah, Finance Secretary Fayaz Jatoi, Transport Secretary Asad Zamin and other senior officials. The chief minister was informed that Sindh’s PPP programme has emerged as Pakistan’s leading sub-national PPP initiative, with a growing portfolio of projects in roads and bridges, transport, economic zones, information technology, energy, water, livestock, education, health and environmental sectors. The programme has received international recognition at platforms including the UNECE PPP Forum and The Asset Infrastructure Awards. Sindh’s PPP programme was also ranked sixth in Asia by The Economist in 2018. The PPP Unit has additionally provided technical and legal support to other provinces for strengthening their PPP frameworks and project structuring. The meeting noted that the Unit’s transition into a private limited company would enable it to promote and facilitate PPP projects more effectively, assist procuring agencies, strengthen departmental PPP nodes, formulate and implement policies and guidelines, build capacity and monitor portfolio performance. The chief minister directed that the proposed institutional transformation be pursued to remove operational bottlenecks, retain specialised professionals and ensure continuity in PPP project development and implementation. He emphasised the need for a strong institutional structure capable of providing timely technical, financial and legal support to departments and implementing agencies. Mr Shah was informed that the existing PPP Unit faced challenges in retaining skilled staff because of limited competitive compensation and incentives. The absence of dedicated project implementation units and project directors in certain departments was also affecting the pace and quality of project delivery. The proposed PPP Private Limited Company will have greater commercial flexibility to undertake strategic activities, make equity investments where required, mobilise capital through financial instruments and support project financing. It will also be able to develop diversified revenue streams beyond government funding, subject to the approval and oversight of its board. The chief minister underscored that the company must operate with robust governance, transparent performance review mechanisms and clear statutory oversight. He directed that the new structure should strengthen PPP nodes in provincial departments, empower competent officers and ensure that projects are processed efficiently without compromising accountability. The meeting concluded that the restructuring would help improve administrative efficiency, facilitate innovative financing, enhance investor confidence and accelerate the delivery of development projects. The chief minister said the objective was to establish a capable, sustainable and responsive PPP institution that could contribute meaningfully to Sindh’s progress and prosperity.

  • | |

    Sindh Police Chief admits lapses in Mir Raza murde…

    KARACHI: Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho has acknowledged shortcomings in the handling of the Mir Raza murder case, assuring that the investigation is now being pursued transparently in light of fresh medico-legal findings. Speaking at a ceremony organised by the Sindh Bar Council, the provincial police chief described the killing of Mir Raza as deeply regrettable and said weaknesses had occurred during the handling of the case. He said a new investigation team had been directed to conduct an independent and transparent probe based on the latest medico-legal report. The IG added that the authorities would take action in accordance with the law if any wrongdoing or negligence by officials was established. Asked whether the family had demanded action against members of the previous investigation team, Odho said the police would take whatever action was legally required. He declined to comment further, saying the investigation was still under way. Addressing lawyers, the IG emphasised the importance of cooperation between the police and legal community, describing both as key components of the criminal justice system. He said police and lawyers needed to work together to strengthen the justice system and resolve disputes through dialogue rather than confrontation. Odho claimed that disciplinary action had been taken against around 27,000 police personnel over the past seven months and urged the Sindh Bar Council to make full use of its legal authority. He said Sindh has around 160,000 police personnel, of whom approximately 132,000 are currently deployed on duty. According to the IG, the overall law and order situation in Karachi has improved, with reported crime declining by around 14 per cent. The remarks come as investigators face increasing scrutiny over the circumstances surrounding Mir Raza’s death. Authorities have now been directed to examine the case afresh, with the latest medico-legal evidence expected to play a key role in determining what went wrong during the initial investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *