maryam announces basant
| |

Maryam announces Basant 2027 dates

Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz has announced that Basant will be celebrated in Lahore from March 12 to 14, 2027.

In a statement, Maryam said the announcement followed the successful celebration of Basant in 2026. She expressed hope that the festival would once again bring Lahore to life with colours, culture, music and celebrations.

The chief minister described Basant as a festival for the people. She encouraged citizens to participate in the celebrations and create lasting memories.

Maryam also invited overseas Pakistanis and international visitors to attend the event. She asked them to mark March 12 to 14 on their calendars and plan their visits to Lahore.

She said Lahore would once again be illuminated by the enthusiasm of the people during the festival.

The announcement comes as preparations for the 2027 celebrations are expected to build on the experience of the previous year. The provincial government is expected to focus on organising the festivities while ensuring that the celebrations are conducted in an orderly manner.

Maryam said she looked forward to welcoming visitors from Pakistan and abroad. She also expressed confidence that Basant 2027 would be organised successfully.

The festival is traditionally associated with colourful kites, cultural activities and public celebrations. Lahore has historically been at the centre of Basant festivities in Punjab.

Maryam concluded her announcement with a pledge to make Basant 2027 another successful and memorable celebration for the people.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Joe Root ends England curfew ahead of Pakistan Tests

    BECKENHAM: England Test captain Joe Root has removed the midnight curfew previously imposed on the team, signalling a shift towards greater personal responsibility ahead of the three-match Test series against Pakistan. Root, speaking to Sky Sports, said he did not believe strict curfews were necessary and instead wanted England players to behave like adults and take responsibility for their actions both on and off the field. “There’s not going to be a curfew. I don’t think this needs to be a big deal, to be honest,” Root said. The experienced batter explained that players needed the freedom to make sensible decisions without constant supervision. In his view, responsibility away from the cricket field should go hand in hand with the standards expected from players representing England. Root said the team would focus on managing itself effectively, with players expected to “self-police” and look after one another. He also stressed that everyone in the squad understood the responsibilities that come with playing international cricket. The decision marks a notable change from the approach taken under former captain Ben Stokes, when a midnight curfew was introduced as part of the team’s discipline and culture. For Root, however, the priority is creating a strong environment rather than enforcing rigid rules. He said England should be remembered for their performances on the field rather than stories about incidents away from cricket. The captain also acknowledged that players should be able to celebrate victories, enjoy themselves and have a drink when appropriate, provided they understand their responsibilities. “Let’s be adults. Look after yourselves, look after each other,” Root said, emphasising the importance of a healthy team culture. England are now preparing for a challenging Test series against Pakistan, with Root and head coach Stephen Fleming expected to establish clear standards for the squad. The message from Root is straightforward: England’s players will have more freedom, but with that freedom comes accountability. The captain hopes the approach will strengthen team unity while keeping attention firmly on cricket.

  • | |

    Over 300 patients receive free medical treatment a…

    KETI BUNDER: More than 300 patients benefited from free healthcare services during a one-day medical camp organized at the Town Committee Gharobari in Taluka Keti Bunder, District Thatta. The camp focused on the diagnosis and treatment of oral diseases, hepatitis screening, and general health consultations, aiming to improve access to quality healthcare for residents of the area. The medical camp was held under the supervision of Assistant Commissioner Gharobari Sorath Mazhar Abro, Mukhtiarkar Gharobari Maqsood Ahmed Jokhio, and Chairman Town Committee Gharobari Muhammad Ramzan Panhwar. Local residents, including women, children, and elderly patients, attended the camp in large numbers and received free medical examinations, medicines, and professional consultations. A team of experienced healthcare professionals, led by renowned dental surgeon Dr. Shyam Kumar of Civil Hospital Makli and Dr. Mehran Abro, conducted detailed examinations and provided treatment for various oral and dental diseases. Patients were also screened for hepatitis, while doctors educated them about preventive measures, personal hygiene, and the importance of early diagnosis and timely treatment. District Health Officer (DHO) Thatta, Syed Safdar Shah, visited the camp to review the arrangements and interact with the medical staff. He appreciated the dedicated efforts of the doctors, paramedics, and organizers in delivering quality healthcare services to the local community. Speaking on the occasion, he said that free medical camps are essential for improving public health, particularly in remote and underserved areas, as they provide timely medical assistance and create awareness about disease prevention. Residents expressed gratitude to the district administration and health department for organizing the camp and hoped that similar healthcare initiatives would continue regularly to benefit people living in rural areas of Thatta.

  • |

    Stray SpaceX rocket believed to have struck Moon

    A discarded section of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is believed to have crashed into the Moon, giving scientists a rare opportunity to study the effects of a known impact on the lunar surface. The object, a 4,000-kilogram upper stage left in space after a January 2025 mission, was expected to strike the Moon at around 07:35 BST after spending more than a year drifting through space. Scientists say the rocket stage gradually shifted onto a collision course due to the combined gravitational pull of the Earth, Moon and Sun. The impact is not considered dangerous to Earth, according to NASA, which plans to analyse the event to improve its understanding of lunar geology and refine methods for tracking objects in space. Although the collision itself was too faint to be seen with the naked eye, astronomers using powerful telescopes are monitoring the Moon for signs of a fresh crater and a plume of dust created by the impact. Researchers are now comparing before-and-after images of the lunar surface to identify the exact location of the strike. NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and South Korea’s Danuri lunar spacecraft are expected to capture images of the impact site in the coming days. Scientists say processing and analysing the data could take several days or even weeks before the first confirmed images are released. Experts describe the incident as a valuable scientific experiment because the size, speed and mass of the object were known in advance. Unlike natural meteor impacts, the predictable nature of the collision allows researchers to better understand how craters form and how lunar material behaves after a high-speed impact. However, astronomers also say the incident highlights the growing problem of space debris. Thousands of human-made objects now remain on or around the Moon, and experts warn that increasing congestion in space could pose challenges for future exploration missions if debris is not managed more effectively. Meanwhile, SpaceX continues its regular launch operations. The company successfully launched another Falcon 9 rocket from Florida on a separate mission carrying satellites into orbit, underscoring the growing pace of space activity as agencies and private companies expand their exploration programmes.

  • | |

    Steve Lacy seemingly reveals Sadie Sink’s Spider-Man role

    Fans of Sadie Sink may have finally received an answer about her mysterious role in Spider-Man: Brand New Day, after musician Steve Lacy appeared to accidentally reveal a major detail during the film’s red-carpet premiere. The moment quickly went viral online, with Marvel fans speculating that Sink could be portraying Jean Grey, one of the most iconic characters from the X-Men universe. Marvel Studios has kept Sink’s role under wraps since her casting was announced, fuelling months of fan theories. The actress, best known for her performances in Stranger Things and The Whale, has not publicly commented on her character, while the studio has also remained silent. However, during Monday’s premiere of Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Steve Lacy, who contributed the song oh yeah? to the film’s soundtrack, appeared to let the secret slip while speaking to reporters on the red carpet. When asked which character he was most excited for audiences to see, Lacy replied, “You know, what? Jean.” He then added, “I like Jean. She’s the villain but there’s a reason to her madness.” (Geo News) The interviewer appeared surprised by the answer and immediately asked whether Lacy had just spoiled Sadie Sink’s role in the film. Rather than clarifying his remarks, the musician simply responded, “I like her. I like her character. I don’t know why.” Although Lacy never directly mentioned Sink’s name, many fans interpreted his reference to Jean as confirmation that the actress is playing Jean Grey, the powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men comics. The possibility has been widely discussed online since Sink joined the cast earlier this year. The apparent revelation quickly spread across social media platform X, where users reacted with humour and disbelief. Many joked that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige would not be pleased with the accidental disclosure. One fan wrote, “The cameraman witnessing Feige beating the shit out of Steve Lacy in the back.” Another commented, “Bro was asked to answer without spoiling anything and failed in under 5 seconds.” A third user argued that the surprise had already become difficult to keep secret, writing, “It’s a spoiler, but at the same time it’s not because who doesn’t know the Jean Grey in the movie. They did a terrible job keeping the secret under wraps.” Another fan joked, “Kevin Feige will be coming for him.” Neither Marvel Studios nor Sony Pictures has commented on Lacy’s remarks, and Sink has also remained silent regarding the speculation. Until the filmmakers officially confirm the casting, fans will have to wait to see whether the musician genuinely revealed one of the movie’s biggest secrets or whether his comments were misunderstood. Spider-Man: Brand New Day, starring Tom Holland and Zendaya, is scheduled to arrive in cinemas on 31 July 2026. With excitement already running high ahead of its release, Lacy’s comments have only intensified speculation about how the Marvel Cinematic Universe may introduce the X-Men through Sadie Sink’s mysterious character.

  • | |

    IHC declares Mazari, Chatha sentence suspension pl…

    The Islamabad High Court has declared admissible the petitions seeking suspension of sentences of Imaan Mazari and Hadi Chatha, who were convicted by a trial court in the controversial tweets case. Justice Muhammad Azam Khan of the Islamabad High Court issued a reserved verdict, rejecting a miscellaneous application filed by the prosecution challenging the admissibility of the petitions. The court had reserved its decision yesterday after hearing arguments from both sides. The prosecution had argued that the petitions for suspension of sentence filed by Imaan Mazari and Hadi Chatha were premature. It is pertinent to mention that Additional Sessions Judge Muhammad Afzal Majoka had sentenced both Imaan Mazari and Hadi Chatha to a total of 17 years in prison each under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA). Both convicts have approached the Islamabad High Court seeking suspension of their sentences. Earlier, The Islamabad High Court on Friday reserved its decision on whether petitions seeking the suspension of prison sentences awarded to lawyers and human rights activists Imaan Zainab Mazari-Hazir and Hadi Ali Chattha can proceed. The petitions relate to the couple’s convictions in a case involving alleged controversial social media posts under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA). The hearing was conducted by Justice Muhammad Azam Khan, who considered preliminary arguments from both the prosecution and the defence before reserving his ruling on the maintainability of the petitions. During the proceedings, lawyers representing the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) argued that the requests for suspension of sentence had been filed too early. They maintained that the court should first decide the prosecution’s objection challenging the admissibility of the petitions before considering any request for relief

  • |

    Paris Jackson recalls first meeting mother Debbie Rowe

    Paris Jackson has shared rare details about meeting her biological mother, Debbie Rowe, for the first time when she was 15, offering a glimpse into how their relationship gradually developed over the years. The 28-year-old model and actress discussed her family life during a recent appearance on the Call Her Daddy podcast. She explained that she first became curious about her biological mother when she was around 10 or 11 years old. At the time, Paris said she simply asked for her mother’s name and was satisfied with the answer she received. She eventually reconnected with Rowe at around 15 and said the two began growing closer toward the end of her teenage years. Recalling their first meeting, Paris said the encounter was surprisingly relaxed. She remembered coming downstairs to find Rowe in the living room with her grandmother. Rather than feeling overwhelmed or uncomfortable, Paris simply greeted her mother and sat down to talk. The pair later went out together and spent the day getting to know each other. Paris also reflected on her approach to relationships, saying that having too many expectations can sometimes make personal connections more difficult. She explained that entering a relationship with an open mind gives people the opportunity to develop a bond naturally instead of forcing it to meet a particular idea of how things should be. She described this approach as creating space for something genuine and organic to grow. Paris is the daughter of the late pop icon Michael Jackson and Debbie Rowe. The former couple also share their eldest son, Prince Jackson. Michael’s youngest child, Bigi Jackson, was born through a surrogate. Rowe met Michael while working as an assistant at the dermatologist’s office he visited. The pair married in 1996, but their relationship was short-lived, and they divorced in 2000. Michael Jackson subsequently received full custody of their children. Following the divorce, Rowe largely stepped away from the public spotlight and moved to Palmdale, California, where she reportedly pursued her interest in horse breeding and maintained a private lifestyle. Paris and Rowe began rebuilding their relationship in 2013. Their connection became particularly close several years later when Paris supported her mother during her battle with breast cancer in 2016. Looking back on their relationship, Paris’ comments suggest that their bond developed gradually rather than being shaped by expectations. Her willingness to approach the relationship openly appears to have helped her and Rowe establish a closer connection after years apart. Her latest revelations offer a rare look into the personal relationship between the mother and daughter, while also highlighting Paris’ perspective on family, expectations and allowing relationships to develop naturally.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *