joe root returns
|

Joe Root returns as England Test captain, Fleming takes coaching charge

England have made major changes to their Test setup, appointing Joe Root as captain for a second stint and naming former New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming as head coach.

The decisions come after Brendon McCullum was removed from the Test coaching role and Ben Stokes stepped away from international cricket earlier this month.

Root, 35, previously led England in 64 Test matches between 2017 and 2022. He briefly returned to captaincy during the recent series against New Zealand and has now been given the responsibility of guiding England’s next generation of Test players.

The Yorkshire batter is among the greatest run-scorers in Test history, sitting second on the all-time list behind India legend Sachin Tendulkar with more than 14,000 runs.

Expressing his delight at the appointment, Root said leading England in Test cricket remains a great honour and challenge. He added that he is excited to work with the team and help develop emerging talent.

Root also praised Fleming, describing him as an outstanding leader with deep knowledge of the game.

Fleming, who enjoyed a successful coaching career with Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League, has been appointed to lead England’s Test side. Under his guidance, Chennai won five IPL titles, making him one of the most respected coaches in world cricket.

The 53-year-old said his focus would be on immediate success while also building a strong foundation for England’s long-term future. He expressed excitement about working with Root and helping him succeed in his second spell as captain.

England’s next Test assignment will be a three-match series against Pakistan, starting on August 19. Marcus Trescothick will handle coaching duties on an interim basis before Fleming officially takes charge later this year.

England men’s cricket managing director Rob Key praised Fleming’s appointment, saying he has the experience and leadership qualities needed to turn England’s promising squad into a world-class team.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Liverpool sign Ronald Araujo on loan from Barcelona

    Liverpool have moved to strengthen their defence by signing Ronald Araujo on a season-long loan from Barcelona, giving the Uruguay international a fresh opportunity after falling down the pecking order at the Spanish club. Barcelona confirmed on Monday that Araujo will spend the 2026-27 season at Anfield, with the agreement running until June 30, 2027. The Catalan club did not reveal the financial terms, but reports in the Spanish media indicate that Liverpool will cover his wages and have an option to make the transfer permanent for €55 million ($63.5m). The move marks a significant change for Araujo, who had been regarded as one of Barcelona’s key defensive players. The 27-year-old renewed his contract with the Catalan giants in 2025, extending his deal until 2031. However, his position became increasingly uncertain under Barcelona coach Hansi Flick. Young defender Pau Cubarsi emerged as a central figure in the back line, while Eric Garcia and Gerard Martin also competed for defensive roles. Araujo made 35 appearances across all competitions last season but spent several weeks away from football because of mental exhaustion. After returning in January, he struggled to regain a regular starting position. His move to Liverpool comes at a crucial time for the Premier League club. Liverpool need defensive reinforcements after Ibrahima Konate departed for Real Madrid, while Joe Gomez and Giovanni Leoni are currently injured. Araujo could therefore find himself playing an important role alongside experienced captain Virgil van Dijk, particularly as Liverpool begin a new chapter under Spanish coach Andoni Iraola. The Uruguayan defender, who was part of Uruguay’s squad at the 2026 FIFA World Cup but did not feature, said he was eager to begin his Liverpool journey. “I’m excited to be here at this massive club with lots of history,” Araujo said. “I’m excited to meet my team-mates, excited to get started playing, and I’m very motivated.” He described the transfer as the right move at this stage of his career, suggesting that regular football was an important factor behind his decision. Liverpool have also strengthened their defensive options by signing young French defender Jeremy Jacquet from Rennes. For Araujo, the challenge is clear: turn a difficult period at Barcelona into a new beginning at Anfield—and prove that he still belongs among Europe’s elite defenders.

  • | |

    LHC sets judges’ schedule from August 10

    The Lahore High Court (LHC) has issued the judges’ roster for the sixth week of its summer vacation. The new roster will come into effect from August 10. It will cover proceedings at the principal seat in Lahore and the court’s regional benches. According to the roster, two division benches at the Lahore Principal Seat will hear appeals from Monday. Four judges will also work as single benches and hear cases of different categories. A two-member division bench headed by Chief Justice Aalia Neelum will hear appeals of all types. Another two-member division bench headed by Justice Sadiq Mahmood Khurram will also hear appeals in different categories. Chief Justice Aalia Neelum will also hear petitions as a single bench. She will deal with applications and petitions of various kinds during the week. Justice Shahid Karim will hear civil matters. Justice Sadiq Mahmood Khurram will deal with criminal petitions. Justice Syed Ahsan Raza Kazmi will hear civil petitions of different categories. The arrangement has been made to ensure that important cases continue to be heard during the summer recess. The roster also includes arrangements for the LHC’s regional benches. Justice Ahmad Nadeem Arshad will hear cases as a single bench at the Bahawalpur Bench. Justice Khalid Ishaq will perform the same role at the Multan Bench. At the Rawalpindi Bench, Justice Sadaqat Ali Khan will hear cases as a single bench. The issuance of the roster will allow the high court to continue judicial proceedings during the sixth week of summer vacations. The scheduled benches will hear appeals, petitions and other cases according to their assigned jurisdictions.

  • | | |

    15 martyred in terror attack on joint security Che…

    At least 15 people, including 14 security personnel, were martyred after terrorists launched a major attack on a joint security checkpost in Tank district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa during the early hours of Friday. According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the attackers attempted to storm the checkpost in a coordinated assault. Security personnel immediately responded with heavy fire and successfully prevented the militants from capturing the position. During the intense gun battle, security forces killed 12 terrorists who were attempting to escape after the failed assault. Officials said the troops displayed exceptional bravery and professionalism while defending the post. The attackers later rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into the outer wall of the checkpost. The massive explosion caused severe structural damage and resulted in the martyrdom of 12 army personnel, two police officers and one Forest Department official who were performing their duties at the time of the attack. The blast also damaged parts of the security installation, while emergency teams rushed to the area to assist the injured and secure the site. Following the attack, security forces launched a large-scale search and clearance operation in the surrounding areas to track down any remaining militants and ensure the area was fully secured. The operation is continuing. Military officials said Pakistan’s security forces remain fully committed to eliminating terrorism and will continue intelligence-based operations across the country under the Azm-i-Istehkam national counterterrorism strategy. The military paid tribute to the martyred personnel, describing their sacrifice as a symbol of courage, dedication and unwavering commitment to the defence of the country. Officials said such attacks would not weaken the nation’s resolve to defeat terrorism. The latest incident comes amid continued efforts by security forces to dismantle militant networks operating in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan through intelligence-led operations. Authorities have intensified counterterrorism efforts in recent months following a rise in attacks targeting security personnel and public installations. Senior officials condemned the attack and vowed that those responsible would be hunted down and brought to justice. They reaffirmed that operations against terrorist groups would continue until peace and stability are fully restored across Pakistan. Security experts believe militant groups are attempting to target security installations to undermine ongoing counterterrorism operations. However, officials maintain that such attacks will only strengthen the determination of Pakistan’s security forces to continue their mission against terrorism.

  • |

    Hayden Panettiere’s final words on motherhood and struggles

    Hayden Panettiere, the actress best known for portraying cheerleader Claire Bennet in the hit NBC science-fiction series Heroes, spoke openly about motherhood, postpartum depression and her personal struggles in one of her final interviews. Panettiere died on Sunday, August 16, at the age of 36, according to her father, Skip Panettiere. She was just days away from celebrating her 37th birthday. Her family has not disclosed an official cause of death and has requested privacy as they cope with the loss. Shortly before her death, Panettiere discussed her experiences as a mother in an interview with parenting outlet Momé magazine. During the conversation, she reflected on raising her daughter, Kaya Evdokia Klitschko, and the difficult circumstances surrounding the early years of her motherhood. Panettiere shares Kaya, who is now 11, with her former fiancé, Ukrainian boxing champion Wladimir Klitschko. The actress previously spoke about experiencing a traumatic birth and struggling with postpartum depression after welcoming her daughter. Those challenges had a lasting impact on her life and contributed to a period when she was unable to be with Kaya as much as she wanted. Despite those difficulties, Panettiere said her daughter had always remained a priority. She explained that she hoped Kaya would eventually understand her circumstances and the reasons she could not always be present during her childhood. “I’ve been able to put her first no matter how I’ve felt or what I’ve experienced,” Panettiere said during the interview. She added that one day her daughter would understand her story and why she had not been able to be with her all the time. The Nashville star also described herself as a work in progress and acknowledged that personal healing is an ongoing journey. She said she was taking life one day at a time while continuing to work on herself and do her best. Panettiere also used the interview to encourage other mothers facing emotional difficulties after childbirth. Offering reassurance to women who may be struggling during the early stages of parenthood, she reminded them that they were stronger than they might realise and encouraged them to believe that things would eventually improve. Panettiere leaves behind her daughter, Kaya, as well as her parents, Skip Panettiere and Lesley Vogel. Her final reflections on motherhood have added a deeply personal dimension to the tributes following her unexpected death.

  • | |

    Sir David Attenborough continues to mark milestone…

    Sir David Attenborough’s 100th year is proving to be just as remarkable as the career that came before it. The legendary broadcaster and natural historian continues to receive major recognition for his contribution to television and his lifelong work inspiring people to care about the natural world. Attenborough turned 100 on May 8, 2026, reaching the extraordinary milestone after more than seven decades in broadcasting. Rather than slowing down, he has continued to work on new projects while celebrating a century of life filled with exploration, storytelling and environmental advocacy.  His latest recognition comes through two major television award nods. Attenborough has been nominated for a 2026 Primetime Emmy Award, making him the oldest-ever nominee in the history of the awards. He received the nomination for his work as a narrator, adding another remarkable achievement to an already impressive list of honours.  He has also received his first-ever nomination for the National Television Awards. Attenborough is shortlisted in the TV Presenter category alongside well-known names including Ant and Dec, Claudia Winkleman, Alison Hammond and Stacey Solomon. The winners will be announced at the NTA ceremony at London’s O2 Arena on September 8.  The recognition comes during an especially busy year for the broadcaster. Several projects have been released to celebrate his centenary, including Wild London, Secret Garden and A Gorilla Story. The latter sees Attenborough return to the story of gorillas he first encountered while filming Life on Earth in Rwanda decades ago.  His 100th birthday was also marked with a major celebration at London’s Royal Albert Hall. The BBC event brought together musicians, celebrities and environmental figures to honour his extraordinary contribution to television and natural history. Attenborough said he had expected to celebrate quietly but was overwhelmed by the enormous number of birthday messages he received.  Institutions around the world have also joined the celebrations. Kew Gardens praised his lifelong commitment to plants, fungi and biodiversity, while the Natural History Museum named a newly discovered parasitic wasp Attenboroughnculus tau in his honour.  Attenborough’s influence extends far beyond television awards. Through programmes such as Life on Earth, Blue Planet and Planet Earth, he has helped generations understand the beauty and fragility of the planet. At 100, his latest nominations show that his voice and influence remain as powerful as ever. His extraordinary year is not simply a celebration of age, but a reminder of a lifetime spent bringing the wonders of nature into people’s homes.

  • | |

    Magistrate launches inquiry into deaths of two gir…

    LAHORE: A judicial magistrate has initiated an inquiry into the deaths of two underage girls who died while in police custody in Lahore on August 4. The inquiry was launched after the families of the deceased girls demanded an impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding their deaths. The girls were identified as Amina and Anmol. They had reportedly remained in police custody for more than two hours before emergency services were called to the Township police station. The circumstances leading to their deaths have not yet been fully established. Proceedings have been initiated under Section 176 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. The provision empowers a magistrate to examine deaths that occur in police custody or under other suspicious circumstances. The magistrate can record statements from relevant individuals during the inquiry. Witnesses may also be examined under oath. The law further allows the magistrate to order the exhumation of a body if a postmortem examination is considered necessary to determine the cause of death. The judicial proceedings are expected to focus on what happened while the two girls were being held at the police station. Authorities are likely to examine the circumstances surrounding their arrest, the period they spent in custody and the events that took place before Rescue 1122 was contacted. The timing of the emergency call has also become an important part of the inquiry. The families have sought clarity over the events inside the police station and called for the matter to be investigated independently. The deaths have raised concerns about the treatment of minors in police custody and the responsibility of officials overseeing detainees. The magistrate’s inquiry is expected to establish the sequence of events and determine whether any negligence or wrongdoing contributed to the deaths. Further action will depend on the findings of the judicial inquiry and other available evidence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *