Wildfires in south‑west France flare up as region braces for new 40°C heatwave
Firefighters in France’s Gironde region are battling renewed blazes as the country braces for its fourth heatwave of the summer, with temperatures forecast to reach 40°C by Wednesday.
Regional prefect Sophie Brocas said 14 areas already scorched by earlier fires saw fresh flare‑ups on Tuesday. “We are not in the clear,” she warned. More than 2,000 firefighters have been deployed, with national federation spokesman Eric Brocardi describing the struggle as “David against Goliath.” Four firefighters have died in recent weeks across France.
The wildfires have forced more than 70,000 people to evacuate their homes. While Bordeaux is not currently under direct threat, one blaze came within 15km of the city earlier this week. Commander Rémi Lassoureille, leading the Gironde response, voiced concern about the impact on Bordeaux’s metropolitan area, where air quality has deteriorated sharply. Residents and tourists reported smoky skies, ash falling on clothes, and restaurants closing due to pollution.
Spain has also endured severe fires, though some evacuation orders have been lifted, allowing 44,000 people to return home. Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said the situation remained challenging but expressed hope that “light is beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel.” In Portugal, 400 firefighters are tackling a major blaze in the eastern Guarda area.
French Health Minister Stéphanie Rist urged residents in affected zones to remain indoors, citing air pollution risks. “Many people have lost their homes or their businesses, not to mention the firefighters who have been hard at work for weeks now and who must be exhausted,” she said.
Locals in Cap Ferret voiced fears for the peninsula’s forests, warning that while Bordeaux’s concrete structures may be safe, the destruction of woodland is catastrophic.