tom chadbon game
|

Tom Chadbon, Game of Thrones and Doctor Who actor, dies at 80

British actor Tom Chadbon has died at the age of 80, leaving behind a career that touched some of the UK’s most beloved television franchises, including Game of Thrones, Peep Show, and Casino Royale.

News of his death was shared by Fantom Events, an organization known for running Doctor Who fan conventions where Chadbon frequently appeared as a guest. In their statement, the company remembered him warmly, describing him as easy to work with and offering their sympathies to his loved ones.

Chadbon’s path into acting began far from the screen. Raised in Luton, Bedfordshire, he pursued formal training at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, one of the UK’s most respected drama schools. He stepped onto a professional stage for the first time in 1967, marking the start of a career that would stretch across nearly six decades.

Rather than sticking to one medium, Chadbon built a reputation as a versatile performer. He took on roles at major theatrical institutions, including the Bristol Old Vic and the National Theatre, while also appearing in numerous West End productions. This theatrical grounding fed into a long and steady run on British television, where he became a familiar face across a wide range of popular series.

Over the years, viewers would recognize him from shows like Casualty, Holby City, Heartbeat, Silent Witness, Midsomer Murders, Father Brown, The Bill, Blake’s 7, and Taggart. That breadth of work helped establish him as one of Britain’s most dependable and respected character actors, the kind of performer whose face was instantly familiar even if his name wasn’t always known.

Two roles, though, stand out as particular fan favorites. Back in 1979, Chadbon played detective Duggan alongside Tom Baker’s incarnation of the Doctor in the classic Doctor Who serial “City of Death,” a story still fondly remembered by longtime fans of the show. Decades later, he stepped into the world of Westeros, taking on the role of High Septon Maynard in the seventh and final season of Game of Thrones in which he appeared.

In the wake of his passing, tributes have poured in from fans and fellow actors alike, many taking to social media to reflect on his decades of contributions to British theatre and television, and to celebrate the warmth he brought both on-screen and off.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    One killed as fire breaks out on Indonesian ferry …

    Indonesian rescue teams pulled more than 200 people to safety on Wednesday after a ferry that departed from the resort island of Bali caught fire in waters near Lombok, officials said, as crews continued searching for any passengers still unaccounted for. By Wednesday afternoon, authorities had confirmed one Indonesian national dead among the 212 people evacuated to ports in Bali and Lombok, according to Muhammad Hariyadi, head of the local search and rescue agency. Most of those rescued were Indonesian citizens, with one Australian national also among the evacuees. The KM Putri Yasmin had departed Padangbai port in Bali bound for Lembar port when the fire broke out, Hariyadi said. Authorities have not yet determined what caused the blaze or whether the vessel was carrying more passengers than permitted. Hariyadi said rescue teams deployed multiple boats to carry out evacuations and coordinate with other vessels near the site of the incident, with more than 200 personnel involved in the response. The fire broke out in the Lombok Strait at 4:39 a.m. local time on Wednesday, Hariyadi said. Earlier in the day, Padangbai port official Heri Wiyanto told a local broadcaster that the ferry’s manifest listed only 114 passengers and 17 crew members, raising questions about whether the vessel exceeded its registered capacity. The incident comes less than a month after a separate ferry fire killed five people off the coast of Madura island, when the KM Mutiara Sentosa 2 caught fire while also carrying more passengers than its manifest indicated. Indonesia, a nation made up of roughly 17,000 islands, depends heavily on ferries for transportation between islands, since sea travel remains cheaper and more widely available than flying in many parts of the archipelago. Enforcement of maritime safety standards varies widely across the country, however, contributing to a comparatively high rate of ferry accidents in Indonesian waters.

  • |

    Wasim Akram’s 1992 heroics inspire Rabada ahead of 2027 World Cup

    JOHANNESBURG: South Africa fast bowler Kagiso Rabada has revealed that one of Wasim Akram’s greatest World Cup performances is motivating him as the Proteas prepare for the 2027 ICC Cricket World Cup on home soil. Rabada, speaking at the official World Cup 2027 venue and brand announcement event in Johannesburg, acknowledged that hosting cricket’s biggest tournament brings an added sense of responsibility. However, the experienced pacer said he prefers to view home advantage as an opportunity rather than a burden. “I think there’s a lot more to it at the moment with us hosting it,” Rabada said. Rather than feeling pressured to deliver a title in front of home supporters, the 31-year-old wants South Africa to embrace the occasion and protect what he described as their “fortress”. “For me, it’s about representing the badge,” Rabada said, stressing the pride that comes with playing a World Cup in front of South African fans. The fast bowler also looked back at the 1992 World Cup final, identifying Pakistan great Wasim Akram’s devastating spell against England as one of the tournament moments he remembers most vividly. Akram changed the final with two remarkable deliveries that removed Allan Lamb and Chris Lewis in successive balls, helping Pakistan seize control before eventually lifting the trophy. For Rabada, the performance represented everything he admires about fast bowling: pace, skill, intensity and the ability to rise to the biggest occasion. “He was fast, had so much skill, and just had this presence, this heightened energy about him,” Rabada recalled. The South African pacer hopes his team can create a similarly memorable moment in 2027. South Africa have repeatedly shown the ability to reach the latter stages of major ICC tournaments but have struggled to convert those appearances into a world title. Rabada believes that barrier is no longer psychological. “We’ve shown that we can go and play in finals and in the semi-finals,” he said. The remaining challenge, he added, is taking that final step. With the 2027 World Cup set to be staged across South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia, Rabada and his teammates will have a major opportunity to write their own chapter in cricket history. And if Rabada can channel even a little of Akram’s 1992 magic, South African fans may have plenty to celebrate.

  • | | |

    Kangana Ranaut clarifies ‘Cockroach’ and ‘Gu…

    Indian actress and BJP Member of Parliament Kangana Ranaut has clarified her controversial remarks involving the words “cockroach” and “gutter” after facing strong criticism on social media. Kangana said her comments were not directed at the entire younger generation. Instead, she claimed that she was referring to specific individuals and certain women while discussing social issues and the importance of responsibility alongside personal freedom. Her earlier remarks triggered a significant reaction online after she criticized the way some young Hindu women expressed their freedom. In that context, she reportedly used the phrase “Generation Gutter,” leading critics to accuse her of making a sweeping statement about young people. Speaking to Indian news agency ANI, Kangana explained that her comments were made in the context of protests at New Delhi’s Jantar Mantar over the alleged NEET-UG paper leak. She stressed that she was not making a general statement about all young people. According to Kangana, she had specifically referred to certain people or some women, and it was therefore unfair to interpret her comments as an attack on the entire younger generation. She also addressed her controversial reference to a “cockroach.” Kangana argued that if someone describes themselves as a cockroach, saying that cockroaches come from a gutter should not be considered offensive. The actress said that she does not consider herself a cockroach. If someone told her that she lived in a gutter, she would reject the claim. However, she questioned why the reference would be considered offensive if a person themselves used the term “cockroach” to describe their identity or behavior. Kangana further rejected the interpretation that she had compared all young people to a gutter. She said that discussing problems such as drug use, betting, gambling or dark-web activities among a particular section of young people does not mean that the entire younger generation should be viewed in the same way. She questioned why comments about a specific group or certain women were being presented as a generalized criticism of all young people. The clarification comes amid continuing debate over the responsibilities that accompany personal freedom, particularly among young people. Kangana maintained that her intention was to highlight certain behaviors and social problems rather than criticize an entire generation. The controversy has once again drawn attention to Kangana’s outspoken public statements, which frequently generate strong reactions online and in political and entertainment circles. By clarifying her comments, the actress has sought to distance herself from the interpretation that she was labeling the entire younger generation as “gutter” or making a blanket criticism of young people.

  • |

    Alzarri Joseph responds to Darren Sammy’s selection remarks

    BRIDGETOWN: West Indies fast bowler Alzarri Joseph has responded to comments made by head coach Darren Sammy regarding his absence from the ongoing Test series against Pakistan, saying his decision was taken out of context and has created a misleading public perception. The controversy emerged after Cricket West Indies initially cited “personal reasons” for Joseph’s unavailability. However, subsequent remarks by Sammy suggested that the pacer had declined selection for the series, sparking widespread discussion among cricket fans and analysts. In a statement, Joseph clarified that his decision was based solely on his physical condition following a lengthy recovery from his second stress fracture in the back within the past year. The fast bowler explained that he had only recently returned to Test cricket and had already played two demanding Tests against Sri Lanka, followed by five consecutive One-Day Internationals against New Zealand. After that workload, he felt his body was not ready for another Test series without adequate rest. Joseph said the coach’s comments were made without presenting the full background, leading many to misunderstand his position. “I believe the remarks were incomplete and created the wrong impression among the public,” he said, stressing that his commitment to West Indies cricket remains unchanged. The 29-year-old also dismissed suggestions that he had turned his back on the national team, saying he has always been proud to represent the West Indies whenever he is physically fit. Joseph reaffirmed that he remains a professional cricketer dedicated to serving his country and its supporters. He added that his responsibility is to the West Indies team and the people of the Caribbean, not to any individual. His clarification comes as the West Indies continue their Test campaign against Pakistan, with discussions over player workload and injury management increasingly becoming an important issue in international cricket. The latest exchange has highlighted the challenges teams face in balancing player fitness with the demands of a packed international schedule.

  • | |

    Spotify names HAVI as RADAR Pakistan artist for Q3 2026

    Music streaming platform Spotify has selected Pakistani singer-songwriter HAVI as its RADAR Pakistan Artist for the third quarter of 2026, recognising the rising musician’s rapid growth and expanding international audience through its global artist development programme. HAVI, whose real name is Abdur Rahman Sajid, has emerged as one of Pakistan’s fastest-growing independent artists, earning praise for his emotionally driven songwriting and deeply personal storytelling. According to Spotify, the singer’s listenership on the platform has increased by more than 335% over the past year, reflecting his growing popularity both at home and overseas. The RADAR programme is Spotify’s global initiative aimed at supporting emerging artists by providing editorial promotion, original content and international exposure. As part of the programme, HAVI will receive dedicated promotional support, including a professionally produced mini-documentary exploring his musical journey, inspirations and creative process. Spotify said HAVI’s music has connected with listeners because of its honest storytelling and relatable themes, helping him build a loyal audience across multiple countries. Beyond Pakistan, his biggest streaming markets now include Bangladesh, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United Arab Emirates, highlighting the growing international appeal of Pakistani music. Several of HAVI’s tracks, including Andaz E Karam, Na Milay and Farz, have contributed significantly to his success. Spotify noted that the singer’s music has also been added to more than 200,000 user-generated playlists, demonstrating strong listener engagement across the platform. Commenting on the announcement, Rutaba Yaqub, Spotify’s Artist and Label Partnerships Manager for Pakistan and the UAE, praised the artist’s ability to connect with audiences through authentic storytelling. She said HAVI’s remarkable growth reflects how his music resonates with listeners and showcases the strength of Pakistan’s emerging music scene. Expressing his excitement over the recognition, HAVI welcomed the opportunity to introduce his music to even more listeners through the RADAR programme. The singer said the initiative would allow him to share not only his songs but also the experiences and inspirations that shape his artistic journey. Spotify launched the RADAR programme to spotlight promising artists worldwide by combining playlist support, editorial promotion and original visual content designed to help emerging talent reach wider audiences. Over the years, the initiative has featured several Pakistani musicians, reflecting the platform’s continued investment in the country’s growing music industry. HAVI’s selection marks another milestone for Pakistan’s independent music scene, with his rapidly expanding fan base and streaming numbers signalling increasing global recognition. Through the RADAR programme, Spotify aims to amplify his voice further and introduce his music to audiences around the world while celebrating the diversity and creativity of Pakistan’s next generation of artists.

  • |

    Texas governor targets Muslim airport facilities

    Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered a review of state grants provided to Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), alleging that facilities for Muslim passengers to perform ablution and pray could amount to religious discrimination. Abbott’s office said the matter has also been referred to the US Department of Transportation for investigation and possible action. According to a statement from the governor’s office, state grants provided to entities operating airports in Texas will be reviewed to determine whether existing funding should be withdrawn or whether the airports should be denied future state funding. Abbott has argued that providing facilities specifically associated with one religion at government-owned facilities could raise concerns under religious discrimination laws. The governor’s office said DFW International Airport is planning to establish a dedicated ablution facility for Muslim passengers. At George Bush Intercontinental Airport, a similar facility has reportedly already been established, along with a designated space for prayer. Abbott has written to US Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, asking the Department of Transportation and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to immediately review the existing or proposed religious facilities at both airports. He has also called for corrective or legal action if federal authorities determine that any violations have occurred. The Texas governor maintains that both airports receive federal funding and are therefore required to comply with federal laws prohibiting discriminatory practices. In his statement, Abbott said the proposed ablution facilities appear to provide a special accommodation to a particular section of the population based on religion, which he considers potentially unlawful. He further argued that because the airports are publicly owned, government authorities cannot give preference to one religious viewpoint over others. Abbott reiterated his position on social media, saying that government facilities funded by taxpayers should not allow what he described as unlawful religious discrimination.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *