tirah families begin
|

Tirah families to begin phased return from October…

A high-level jirga comprising senior military and civil officials and members of a 24-member advisory committee has agreed to begin the phased return of displaced families to Tirah Valley from October 10.

However, the Tehreek Mutasireen Tirah has raised concerns over the lack of an official government notification and called for an immediate formal announcement.

Sources said the jirga included elders from the 24-member committee, senior military officials, district administration representatives and officials from relevant departments. The participants agreed that authorities would fully stabilise the security situation in Tirah before allowing families to return. They also pledged to implement all 37 demands presented by the committee.

Development projects already underway in the valley will continue, while officials assured the committee that the concerns of verified affectees would receive priority attention. Several issues raised during the meeting were reportedly resolved on the spot.

Meanwhile, the registration and verification of Tirah affectees listed with the GRC continues at a NADRA centre in Haji Market, Bara. Authorities are issuing SIM cards to verified eligible individuals and distributing financial assistance.

More than 20,000 affectees have received financial aid so far, while payments to other eligible families remain in process. Lists containing more than 4,000 affectees have been issued at Haji Market, with nearly 3,000 already verified.

Sohbat Khan Afridi, spokesperson for Tehreek Mutasireen Tirah, told *The Express Tribune* that displaced families have been staging a sit-in outside Bara Press Club for the past 170 days. He said that although members of the 24-member committee have mentioned October 10 as the return date, the government and jirga have yet to issue an official notification, leaving affected families uncertain about their future.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Pakistan, Kazakhstan agree to accelerate trade and agricultural cooperation

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Kazakhstan have agreed to speed up the implementation of previously signed agreements and memorandums of understanding (MoUs), with both sides seeking to convert existing commitments into practical trade, investment and business opportunities. The understanding was reached during a meeting between Federal Minister for National Food Security and Research Rana Tanveer Hussain and Kazakhstan’s Ambassador to Pakistan Yerzhan Kistafin in Islamabad, where the two sides reviewed a broad range of issues related to agriculture, food security, connectivity, farm mechanisation and private-sector cooperation. According to the Ministry of National Food Security and Research, the meeting focused on identifying areas where bilateral cooperation could produce commercially viable projects and contribute to stronger economic relations between the two countries. Rana Tanveer Hussain said agriculture represented one of the most promising areas for expanding Pakistan-Kazakhstan relations, particularly given the potential for increased trade in agricultural commodities, machinery and technology. The minister stressed that bilateral agreements should move beyond formal commitments and result in concrete projects that could benefit businesses and farmers in both countries. He also called for closer coordination among government departments, research institutions, agricultural organisations and the private sector to facilitate investment and technology transfer. Joint agriculture working group to meet in Kazakhstan Pakistan and Kazakhstan also agreed to hold the next meeting of their Joint Working Group on Agriculture in Kazakhstan. The forum is expected to assess progress on previously identified areas of cooperation and explore additional opportunities in agricultural trade, food security, mechanisation and related fields. The proposed meeting is also expected to provide a platform for officials and private-sector representatives to discuss practical barriers to trade and develop proposals aimed at increasing agricultural exchanges between the two countries. Kazakhstan, meanwhile, showed interest in supplying wheat to Pakistan. Pakistani authorities agreed to examine the proposal while taking into account factors including the prevailing price, quality standards and reliability of supply. The development comes as Pakistan continues to explore ways to diversify its sources of food commodities and strengthen trade relationships with Central Asian economies. Pakistan seeks greater access for agricultural exports During the discussions, Pakistan highlighted the export potential of several agricultural products, including mangoes, guava, dates, bananas, potatoes and onions. The Pakistani side expressed interest in securing greater access for these products in Kazakhstan and other Central Asian markets. Improved market access, the officials noted, could create new opportunities for Pakistani growers, exporters and agribusinesses. The two sides also discussed the importance of improving transport and logistics infrastructure to support agricultural trade. Connectivity was identified as a critical factor in expanding commercial relations, particularly through proposed rail and regional transportation routes linking Central Asian countries with Pakistan. Better transport links could reduce freight and transit costs, improve the movement of perishable agricultural goods and provide businesses in both regions with access to new markets. Mechanisation offers new area of cooperation Agricultural mechanisation was also identified as an area with considerable potential for joint ventures and investment. Particular attention was given to affordable tractors and agricultural machinery that could be used by small and medium-sized farmers. Cooperation in this field could help improve farm productivity while creating opportunities for manufacturers and investors from both countries. The Pakistani side also emphasised the importance of exchanging agricultural technology and research expertise, saying stronger institutional links could support innovation and improve agricultural productivity. The minister underscored the need for closer engagement between research organisations, agricultural institutions and business communities so that technical cooperation could be translated into commercially sustainable ventures. Kyrgyzstan supports stronger Pakistan business ties Separately, Pakistan’s private sector has also taken steps to deepen economic engagement with another Central Asian country, Kyrgyzstan. Kyrgyzstan’s Chargé d’Affaires Aibek Tilebaliev held a meeting with Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI) President Atif Ikram Sheikh, during which the two sides discussed bilateral trade, investment and direct business-to-business contacts. The participants agreed that stronger interaction between companies from Pakistan and Kyrgyzstan would be essential for expanding bilateral commerce and identifying new investment opportunities. Atif Ikram Sheikh welcomed the increasing high-level engagement between the two countries, saying that considerable potential existed to expand trade and investment but that greater efforts were needed to convert this potential into actual business activity. He suggested that a Pakistani business delegation could visit Kyrgyzstan under the FPCCI platform to explore commercial opportunities, establish direct contacts with local companies and develop partnerships in different sectors. Joint Business Council proposed A key outcome of the meeting was agreement to accelerate the establishment of a Joint Business Council between Pakistan and Kyrgyzstan. The proposed council is expected to provide a formal platform for representatives of the two countries’ business communities to discuss trade barriers, investment opportunities, market access and potential joint ventures. Both sides agreed to expedite the necessary steps for setting up the council. Sheikh also highlighted the importance of regional forums, particularly the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), in facilitating greater economic integration among member states. He said the platform could be used more effectively to promote trade, investment and business-to-business cooperation across the region. Tilebaliev reaffirmed Kyrgyzstan’s interest in strengthening economic and commercial relations with Pakistan. He stressed that more frequent and direct interaction between business communities would be important for translating political goodwill into tangible economic gains. The parallel initiatives involving Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan reflect Pakistan’s broader efforts to deepen economic engagement with Central Asia. Improved connectivity, stronger private-sector links and greater agricultural and industrial cooperation could provide new avenues for Pakistani exporters while opening opportunities for investment and regional trade.

  • Over Half Of Juvenile Crimes In Thailand Linked To Narcotics

    CHIANG MAI, Thailand — Drug abuse among children and young people in Thailand has reached a critical level, with more than half of all new juvenile criminal cases now directly linked to narcotics. This alarming trend has prompted urgent calls from health experts and social advocates for stronger prevention measures and community-based interventions to protect […]

  • Thai Immigration Warns Travelers Of Fake Fast Track Services At Suvarnabhumi Airport

    BANGKOK, Thailand — Thailand’s Immigration Bureau has issued an urgent warning to travelers regarding fraudulent claims of paid Fast Track immigration services at Suvarnabhumi Airport, following reports of unauthorized operators offering expedited clearance through third-party platforms. Thailand Introduces Fast-Track Immigration Lanes for Chinese Students’ Families The advisory, released on May 17, responds to concerns raised […]

  • | | |

    Kuwait welcomes Pakistan-Saudi-Türkiye Makkah def…

    ISLAMABAD: Kuwait has congratulated Pakistan on the signing of the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement with Saudi Arabia and Türkiye, signalling growing regional interest in the new security arrangement. Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar received a telephone call from Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah late on Sunday, during which the two officials discussed the agreement as well as the wider regional situation. According to Pakistan’s Foreign Office, the Kuwaiti foreign minister felicitated Dar on the agreement signed in Makkah on Friday. The two ministers also exchanged views on developments in the region, including the situation in occupied East Jerusalem. Their conversation also covered bilateral relations and ways to expand cooperation between Pakistan and Kuwait, particularly in investment and other key sectors. The officials also discussed follow-up to Sheikh Jarrah’s recent visit to Pakistan. “The two sides agreed to remain closely engaged,” the Foreign Office said. The development comes as Pakistan continues to explain the objectives and scope of the landmark defence pact, which brings Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye closer together on security matters. Dar has stressed that the agreement is defensive in nature and is not directed against any particular country. Under the pact, an armed attack against any one of the three signatories would be treated as an attack against all three. The foreign minister said the arrangement was designed to strengthen collective deterrence while supporting regional peace, stability and security. He also maintained that the agreement was consistent with the right of individual and collective self-defence recognised under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. Importantly, Dar clarified that the Makkah agreement does not replace or cancel existing bilateral or multilateral defence arrangements involving the three countries. The pact could also have a broader regional dimension. Dar said the agreement remains open to other countries in the region that are willing to respect its principles and resolve differences through dialogue, cooperation and peaceful means. His comments came amid reports that Egypt could potentially join the arrangement. Earlier, Dar also spoke with Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand, with the two officials discussing regional developments and the newly signed agreement. Pakistan has presented the Makkah accord as part of its broader foreign-policy objective of promoting regional stability and peaceful conflict resolution. With Kuwait now extending its congratulations, attention is increasingly turning to how the new defence framework could influence cooperation and security across the wider region.

  • | | | |

    Pakistan-origin Saadia Zahidi becomes first woman …

    Pakistan-origin global executive Saadia Zahidi has been appointed as the first woman Director General of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), making history by becoming the first female to lead the world’s largest airline industry organisation. She will officially assume her new responsibilities on November 1, taking charge of an organisation that represents hundreds of airlines and plays a key role in shaping global aviation policies, safety standards and industry cooperation. Saadia Zahidi is currently serving as the Managing Director of the World Economic Forum (WEF), where she has held several senior leadership positions. During her time at the WEF, she contributed to global initiatives focused on economic growth, innovation, labour markets, gender equality and sustainable development. Her appointment is being widely viewed as a landmark achievement for the international aviation industry. It reflects the growing recognition of women’s leadership in sectors that have traditionally been dominated by men. After the announcement, Zahidi said she was honoured to take on the new responsibility. She pledged to work closely with airlines, governments and industry partners to strengthen the global aviation sector and prepare it for future challenges. She said her priorities would include promoting innovation, improving the resilience of the aviation industry and supporting sustainable growth. She stressed that international cooperation would be essential in helping the aviation sector meet changing economic, environmental and technological demands. Industry observers believe Zahidi’s extensive experience in global economic policy and international cooperation will bring a broader strategic perspective to IATA as the aviation industry continues to recover from recent global disruptions and focuses on long-term growth. Originally from Lahore, Saadia Zahidi has built an internationally respected career through her work with global institutions. She holds dual Pakistani and Swiss citizenship and has represented Pakistan on several international platforms throughout her professional career. Her appointment is also being celebrated as a proud moment for Pakistan, with many viewing it as recognition of the talent and leadership of Pakistani professionals serving in prominent positions around the world. As Director General, Zahidi will lead IATA’s efforts to support airlines worldwide, strengthen global aviation cooperation, improve operational standards and encourage policies that promote safe, efficient and environmentally sustainable air transport.

  • | |

    Permit documents reveal fresh details about Taylor…

    Newly surfaced permit documents have offered fans a closer look at how Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce planned one of the most talked-about celebrity weddings of the year. The superstar couple exchanged vows earlier this month during a lavish yet highly private ceremony at Madison Square Garden in New York City. While they have largely kept details of the celebration out of the public eye, official event permits have now revealed how carefully every aspect of the wedding was organized. According to documents obtained by the Associated Press, the main wedding celebration began at 5 p.m. and continued until 4 a.m. the following morning. The permits also outlined a multi-day schedule, with an intimate rehearsal dinner for approximately 100 guests taking place the evening before the ceremony, followed by the larger wedding celebration attended by around 1,000 guests.  The paperwork also confirmed that extensive road closures were approved around Madison Square Garden to accommodate guest arrivals, security operations and event logistics. Several nearby streets were temporarily closed, while police officers and traffic personnel were deployed throughout the area to manage crowds and ensure the safety of attendees. The large-scale security operation reflected the extraordinary level of public interest surrounding the wedding.  The newly revealed documents also highlight just how much planning went into maintaining the couple’s privacy. Reports indicated that the event featured a strict no-phone policy, while guests and staff were asked to follow confidentiality measures designed to prevent photos or videos from leaking online. Those efforts appear to have been successful, as very few authentic images from the ceremony have surfaced since the celebration.  Preparations inside Madison Square Garden were equally impressive. Sources previously revealed that the iconic venue was transformed into an elegant wedding setting featuring custom décor, greenery, canopies and a specially designed reception space while preserving the arena’s unique character.  The wedding reportedly brought together family members, close friends and a long list of celebrity guests from the worlds of music, sports and entertainment. Despite its grand scale, those in attendance have largely respected the couple’s wishes for privacy, allowing Taylor and Travis to celebrate away from constant public attention.  The permit documents provide the clearest picture yet of how the high-profile celebration was executed. From carefully timed arrivals and extensive security measures to a multi-day schedule, every detail reflected meticulous planning. While fans remain eager to learn more about the wedding, the newly released documents show that Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce prioritized one thing above all else: creating a memorable celebration that remained intimate despite the world’s attention.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *