psx rallies over
| | |

PSX rallies over 5,000 points as regional tensions…

The Pakistan Stock Exchange started the week with a strong rally on Monday.

The benchmark KSE-100 Index gained more than 5,000 points during intraday trading. The sharp rise came as investors welcomed the pause in fighting between the United States and Iran.

The index opened with strong buying activity. By 9:50am, it had risen 4,501 points to reach 175,522.53 points. The previous close was 171,021.20 points.

The upward movement continued during the morning session. By 10:30am, the index had gained 5,069 points and reached 176,090.08 points.

The improved geopolitical situation boosted investor confidence. The United States and Iran have paused their military strikes. The development has raised hopes for renewed diplomatic efforts.

Investors also expect the easing of tensions to support shipping activity through the Strait of Hormuz.

The waterway is important for global energy supplies. Any prolonged disruption can push oil prices higher and increase pressure on economies that depend on imported fuel.

The latest development also affected global oil markets. Crude prices fell sharply as investors reacted to the temporary halt in hostilities.

Brent crude briefly dropped below $90 per barrel. It fell more than 7% at one stage during early trading.

US West Texas Intermediate crude also declined. The fall in international oil prices could provide some relief to Pakistan’s economy.

Pakistan spends a significant amount on energy imports. Lower oil prices can therefore help reduce pressure on the country’s import bill and external account.

Market analysts said the improvement in geopolitical conditions could also influence the State Bank of Pakistan’s monetary policy decision.

Awais Ashraf, director of research at AKD Securities, said investors were expecting the central bank to maintain the policy rate.

The State Bank is also expected to assess developments in the Middle East. The impact of recent floods on Pakistan’s economy will also remain under consideration.

Analysts said the continuing decline in inflation and a relatively comfortable external account could support monetary easing in the coming months.

However, economic activity and money supply trends remain important factors for policymakers.

The strong rally follows a difficult week for the PSX. The KSE-100 Index had fallen by around 2.7% last week.

The index lost 4,782 points and closed at 171,021.20 points.

Rising tensions between the United States and Iran had increased uncertainty in financial markets. Higher international oil prices also added pressure.

Investors had remained cautious because of concerns that the conflict could expand across the region.

Monday’s sharp recovery shows how quickly market sentiment can change when geopolitical risks decline.

Despite the strong gains, analysts remain cautious about the outlook.

Further developments between Washington and Tehran will remain important. Global oil prices will also influence investor sentiment.

The State Bank’s monetary policy decision is another key factor for the market.

Similar Posts

  • Thailand Launches National Road Safety Command Centre for New Year 2026

    Thailand has officially activated its New Year 2026 Road Safety Accident Prevention and Reduction Command Centre, intensifying nationwide measures to protect travelers during the high-risk holiday period. The centre was opened on Monday, December 29, at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, under the leadership of the Ministry of Interior and partner agencies. New […]

  • |

    Pakistan’s Muhammad Zubair stuns Tekken 8 world championship in Paris

    PARIS: Pakistan’s Muhammad Zubair has pulled off a remarkable victory at the Esports World Cup in Paris, defeating South Korea’s LowHigh to claim the Tekken 8 world championship and put Pakistan firmly in the global esports spotlight. Zubair completed a dominant run at the tournament, held from August 5 to 8, despite narrowly surviving the early stages. His breakthrough came when the competition entered its decisive phase, where he produced one impressive performance after another. In the second group stage on Friday, Zubair defeated fellow Pakistani star Arslan “Ash” Siddique, one of the biggest names in the international Tekken scene. The two met again in Saturday’s semifinal, producing a tense battle that went down to the wire. Zubair eventually edged Ash 5-4, earning his place in the grand final. But the final proved to be a completely different story. Facing LowHigh, Zubair showed little sign of nerves and delivered a commanding 5-0 sweep to secure the championship. The emphatic victory transformed what had initially looked like an unlikely run into a memorable world title. The Esports World Cup celebrated the upset on social media, posting: “He came out of nowhere and took the crown!” Zubair’s victory also came with a substantial financial reward. The newly crowned world champion received $250,000 in prize money. For Arslan Ash, the tournament ended with a fourth-place finish after he lost the third-place decider against Australia’s Yagami. Despite the disappointment, Ash remains one of Pakistan’s most celebrated esports players. The Lahore-born star had entered the EWC after winning the 2026 Evo championship in Las Vegas in June. The victory marked his fourth consecutive Evo title, further cementing his status as one of the world’s leading Tekken competitors. Zubair’s triumph now adds another major chapter to Pakistan’s growing esports story. His victory against two established international names — and particularly his semifinal win over Ash — demonstrates the depth of Pakistan’s talent in competitive fighting games. The Esports World Cup features some of the biggest titles in competitive gaming, including Call of Duty: Black Ops 7, Counter-Strike 2, Dota 2, League of Legends, Street Fighter and Valorant. For Pakistan, however, the biggest moment in Paris belonged to Zubair. After surviving the early rounds, overcoming his country’s biggest Tekken star and then sweeping a world-class South Korean opponent, Muhammad Zubair left the tournament not merely as a contender — but as the new Tekken 8 world champion.

  • | |

    Mir Raza’s father says new probe is moving in ri…

    KARACHI: The father of young Karachi resident Mir Raza has expressed confidence in the newly formed investigation team. He said he felt, for the first time in 13 days, that the investigation was moving in the right direction. Mir Raza’s parents, lawyer Jibran Nasir and members of the new investigation team visited locations connected to the case. The visit was aimed at reviewing important points and gathering information that could help investigators understand what happened. Jibran Nasir said the family had identified several important locations on its own. These locations were later shown to the police. He said Mir Raza’s parents were cooperating fully with the investigators and answering their questions. Nasir said the investigation team was waiting for the results of samples collected during the post-mortem examination. He said additional samples obtained after the exhumation had also been sent to a forensic laboratory. The lawyer said the family now believed that an honest and serious officer was handling the investigation. He said the family had earlier faced difficulties in getting the matter investigated properly. Mir Raza’s father, Mir Hussain, said the family still wanted clear answers about his son’s death. He said the exact circumstances surrounding the incident had not yet been established. According to him, the initial investigation should have been more effective. He said timely and proper action at the beginning could have taken the case to a different stage. Mir Hussain said the new investigation team was listening to the family’s concerns. He said investigators were considering the information provided by the parents. The family, he added, now had greater confidence in the process. He said the main objective was to establish what happened to Mir Raza and how the incident took place. The family wanted every aspect of the case to be examined. Mir Hussain said Mir Raza’s kitchen was located around half a kilometre from the site of the incident. He also said information about three suspicious individuals had already been shared with the police. The victim’s father further alleged that the previous investigation team had not properly shared details of the inquiry with the family. He hoped the new team would maintain transparency and investigate the case from all possible angles. The family said it would continue cooperating with investigators. Mir Hussain said they would pursue the case as far as necessary to uncover the truth and obtain justice for Mir Raza. Investigators are now expected to examine forensic evidence, statements and other available information. The reports from the forensic laboratory could also play an important role in determining the circumstances surrounding the case.

  • |

    Sudanese army drone strike on traditional court in North Darfur leaves dozens dead

    A drone attack launched by the Sudanese armed forces killed at least 35 people and left dozens of others injured after striking a traditional court session in the village of Ghara al-Zawiya, located in North Darfur. The civil monitoring group Emergency Lawyers reported that multiple missiles hit a customary gathering held under a tree where local elders, community leaders, and residents had assembled to resolve regional disputes. Eyewitness accounts confirmed that the victims included four tribal leaders alongside two commanders from the Rapid Support Forces, which currently holds administrative control over much of the Darfur region. Human rights observers and legal advocacy groups strongly condemned the attack, characterising the targeting of civilian infrastructure and traditional judicial venues as a violation of international humanitarian law. The incident underscores the growing deployment of uncrewed aerial systems across Sudan’s ongoing civil conflict, which has displaced millions and caused severe humanitarian degradation nationwide.

  • |

    Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in US insurance CEO killing

    Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty in federal court to charges linked to the fatal shooting of UnitedHealthcare executive Brian Thompson, bringing a major development in a closely watched case that sparked intense public debate over the US health insurance system. Mangione admitted in court that he shot Thompson in Manhattan on December 4, 2024. He pleaded guilty to two federal stalking charges involving Thompson and acknowledged that he had targeted the executive with the intention of killing him. “I shot Mr Thompson in Manhattan, and he died,” Mangione told the court. US District Judge Margaret Garnett warned Mangione that the federal charges could carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. She scheduled his sentencing for December 18. Federal prosecutors have indicated that they will seek a life sentence. The guilty plea eliminates the need for a federal trial over Thompson’s killing. It could also strengthen Mangione’s efforts to challenge or seek dismissal of separate murder charges filed against him in New York. Thompson, who headed UnitedHealth Group’s insurance division, was shot outside a Manhattan hotel while attending an investor conference. His death triggered widespread attention across the United States, while the circumstances surrounding the killing led to renewed public discussion about healthcare costs, insurance coverage and patients’ frustrations with the industry. Mangione, 28, told the court that he had experienced a serious back injury and had subsequently dealt with the health insurance system. He said he researched UnitedHealthcare’s investor conference before travelling to New York with the intention of killing Thompson. Prosecutors have alleged that Mangione used a 3-D printer to manufacture part of a firearm. He was later arrested in Pennsylvania following a nationwide manhunt. Thompson’s family welcomed the guilty plea, describing it as an important step toward justice. The family said it expected the court to impose a sentence that reflected the seriousness of the crime. The case has attracted enormous media and public attention since graphic footage of the shooting emerged and authorities launched a five-day search for the suspect. Mangione’s arrest also generated intense debate on social media, including criticism of the healthcare industry and reactions to the circumstances surrounding Thompson’s death. Mangione had previously denied the federal allegations and pleaded not guilty to murder, weapons and stalking charges in April 2025.

  • | |

    Motorcycle fire during one-wheeling leaves 8 injur…

    LAHORE: Eight people sustained burn injuries after a motorcycle caught fire during a one-wheeling stunt in Lahore’s Defence area on Sunday. According to police, the motorcycle suddenly caught fire while a young man was performing one-wheeling, causing flames to spread and injure eight people in the vicinity. SP Cantt Investigation said the injured were immediately shifted to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. Police have also registered a case against the motorcyclist following a complaint lodged by the police. Authorities are using CCTV footage and Safe City cameras to trace and arrest the suspect, who remains at large.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *