iran rejects control
| |

Iran rejects US control over war’s end as Hormuz tensions persist

TEHRAN: Iran has rejected any suggestion that Washington will decide how the conflict ends, while diplomatic efforts over the Strait of Hormuz continue amid a fragile pause in US-Iran military strikes.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said some Gulf countries had been involved in the conflict alongside the United States. He did not identify the countries or provide further details.

Baghaei said Tehran would not allow the United States to determine the outcome of the war. He also said Iran had not requested a return to direct negotiations with Washington.

He said discussions with Oman over the management of the Strait of Hormuz had been positive. However, he stressed that the waterway remained closed and there had been no change in the situation.

The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the main flashpoints in the conflict. It is a crucial route for global energy shipments, making any disruption a major concern for oil markets and international trade.

Iranian state media also reported that six vessels were intercepted after attempting to use what Tehran described as an unsafe and unauthorised route through the southern part of the strait.

According to the report, the vessels had switched off their navigation systems. One vessel suffered an accident, while the others returned towards the Gulf following intervention by Iranian forces.

The situation has also affected shipping activity in other regional waterways.

Traffic through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait has slowed following attacks by Yemen’s Houthi movement on Saudi oil facilities along the Red Sea coast. Shipping data showed that only a limited number of commodity vessels crossed the waterway over the weekend.

The number of vessels using the Strait of Hormuz also remained unusually low despite the temporary pause in US and Iranian attacks.

The slowdown has raised concerns about the wider impact of the conflict on global energy supplies.

Oil prices, however, moved lower after Washington and Tehran halted their strikes for the time being. Brent crude fell sharply during Monday trading, while US West Texas Intermediate also declined.

The fall reflected hopes that diplomacy could eventually restore normal shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Oman has been playing a role in diplomatic efforts between the two sides. An Omani delegation travelled to Tehran to discuss possible arrangements for future management of the strategic waterway.

Iran and Oman reportedly differ over how the mechanism should operate. Tehran wants a service fee and greater control over the proposed system, while Oman has suggested a regional arrangement without tolls.

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu travelled to Washington for talks with US President Donald Trump.

The meeting is expected to cover regional developments and issues of concern to both countries. Netanyahu’s visit comes as the wider conflict continues to affect security across the Middle East.

Trump has also rejected reports that the US military is facing shortages of ammunition.

He said the United States has more munitions than any other country and has sufficient supplies for its military needs.

However, reports have suggested that US military officials have raised concerns about the strain on weapons stocks following nearly two weeks of sustained attacks on Iran.

US officials have reportedly warned that continued large-scale operations could put additional pressure on missile interceptors and other defensive systems deployed across the Middle East.

The United States has maintained that its forces remain capable of carrying out their missions.

The current pause followed 13 nights of US airstrikes against Iran. Tehran had responded to the attacks with strikes on areas in neighbouring Gulf states that host US military facilities.

Iran has now also paused its retaliatory operations. A senior Iranian official said Tehran’s position remains linked to Washington’s actions: if US attacks stop, Iran will also halt its operations.

US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz said Trump paused the campaign to give diplomacy more time.

Iran, however, remains deeply sceptical about the development.

An Iranian source said Tehran viewed the pause as potentially tactical rather than a genuine shift in Washington’s position.

The uncertainty has left many people in Iran worried about whether the fighting could resume.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Thailand school shooting, teen kills 8 in deadly r…

    BANGKOK: A 14-year-old boy killed at least eight people, including his grandparents, before taking his own life in a shooting rampage at a school outside Bangkok on Friday, police said, in Thailand’s deadliest mass killing since 2022. The teenager opened fire at Debsirin Nonthaburi School in Nonthaburi province, northwest of Bangkok, after allegedly shooting his grandparents at their home. Police said the suspect was among those killed at the school. The attack left 15 people injured, with both students and teachers reported among the casualties. Emergency teams rushed to the school as frightened students streamed out of the building, many without shoes, while ambulances transported the wounded. Police said the teenager fired at least 26 rounds and had another 34 rounds of ammunition. Authorities said the weapon belonged to his grandfather. An 18-year-old student told Reuters he initially believed the loud noises were firecrackers or someone striking an object. He said the sounds stopped briefly before gunfire erupted again. Emergency worker Kiatikhun Verapongpradith said his team arrived while the shooting was still underway and treated students suffering injuries. He said teachers were also among those found injured or dead inside the school. The suspect was later found after apparently shooting himself, according to the emergency worker. He was taken to hospital, but authorities confirmed that he died. Education Minister Prasert Jantararuangtong said both teachers and students were among the casualties, while police identified the teenager as a student. Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul expressed sorrow over the incident, describing the shooting as a devastating event for the country. The attack is Thailand’s second school shooting this year. In February, a teacher was killed and a student injured in a shooting at a school in the southern part of the country. Thailand has experienced several deadly gun attacks in recent years. The country’s worst mass killing in recent history occurred in 2022, when a former police officer killed 36 people, including 22 children, during a rampage at a daycare centre in northeastern Thailand. A separate 2023 shooting at a Bangkok shopping centre, carried out by another 14-year-old, killed two people and injured five others. Following that attack, authorities introduced several gun-control measures, including restrictions on new firearm licences and tighter rules concerning access to shooting ranges by people under 20. Thailand has one of Southeast Asia’s highest rates of civilian gun ownership. A Small Arms Survey estimate from 2017 put the number of privately held firearms in the country at around 10.3 million. Friday’s tragedy is expected to renew debate over firearm access, school safety and measures aimed at preventing young people from obtaining weapons.

  • |

    Diplomatic tension flares between Kyiv and Tehran following Caspian Sea maritime strike

    Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha held a direct phone call with Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi following Tehran’s formal condemnation of a Ukrainian drone attack on a vessel in the Caspian Sea. During the exchange, Sybiha cautioned Iran against taking escalatory measures and reiterated Kyiv’s demand that Tehran cease all military support for Russia’s invasion. Ukrainian officials maintained that their military strikes in the Caspian body of water strictly targeted Russian warships and cargo ships transporting military equipment between Iran and Russia, stressing that Ukraine had no intention of causing civilian casualties or damaging commercial shipping. In response, Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi confirmed that Sybiha characterised the strike on the vessel as unintentional, noting that while Tehran does not seek wider conflict, any assault on Iranian citizens or commercial assets remains unacceptable. The incident, which resulted in the death of one Iranian sailor and injuries to another, previously drew sharp rhetoric from Tehran, with Iranian officials accusing Ukraine of acting at the behest of Israel and warning that the strike would not go unanswered. The dispute highlights the growing convergence between the Eastern European conflict and Middle Eastern tensions, underscored by concurrent discussions between Ukrainian and Israeli foreign ministers regarding shared security threats posed by Iranian military capabilities.

  • | |

    MLO removed after lapses in Mir Raza autopsy

    Authorities have removed Medico-Legal Officer Dr Osama from his post following an inquiry into serious shortcomings in the initial post-mortem examination of businessman Mir Raza Ali. Officials said the doctor has been directed to appear before the relevant authorities as part of an inquiry into the alleged procedural lapses. The action comes after questions were raised over the accuracy and completeness of the initial medico-legal examination. The case came under renewed scrutiny after a dispute emerged between police investigators and the Karachi police surgeon over shortcomings in the original medico-legal report. The family subsequently approached a Karachi court, seeking a fresh examination of the body. The court later permitted the exhumation of Mir Raza Ali. A second autopsy conducted after the exhumation reportedly found evidence indicating that the businessman had sustained a gunshot injury to the back. The new medical examination identified two gunshot holes in his clothing, along with several other injuries. Medical findings also reportedly included marks of violence, injuries to the feet, a fracture and a roughly 12-centimetre injury to the right thigh, as well as a deep injury and fracture around the jaw. A separate chemical examination has also added new dimensions to the investigation. According to the report, particles consistent with acid were detected on the victim’s shirt, while material associated with gunshot residue was also found. The report further indicated that efforts may have been made to conceal the victim’s identity and that fingerprints were not detected on his hands. Family lawyer Jibran Nasir has previously raised questions about the initial investigation, including the absence of an X-ray and the failure to establish the cause of death in the first examination. He has also alleged that acid burns may have damaged the victim’s face. The family has urged investigators to examine CCTV footage, digital records and other forensic evidence. Questions have also been raised over the handling of the victim’s mobile phone, smartwatch and surveillance recordings from locations linked to the case. Investigators are now examining additional evidence and locations connected to the death. Authorities have also moved to obtain the victim’s mobile data records and conduct geofencing around the relevant crime scene. The new probe team is also coordinating with the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency to determine whether Mir Raza had received threats before his death. Mir Raza’s family has said it is cooperating with investigators and has provided information about several suspicious individuals and locations. His father, Mir Hussain, has expressed hope that the newly constituted investigation team will establish the facts and take the case to its logical conclusion.

  • | | |

    Three killed as heavy monsoon rains trigger floodi…

    At least three people lost their lives and three others were injured in rain-related incidents across Punjab as heavy monsoon showers triggered urban flooding, damaged homes, and disrupted daily life in several cities. Authorities have placed emergency services on high alert as the current spell of rain is expected to continue through August 5. According to the Punjab Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), one man died and another person was injured after a house collapsed in Uch Sharif, Bahawalpur district. In a separate incident, two children drowned in Khushab during the ongoing monsoon rains. Two additional people sustained injuries in separate roof collapse incidents reported in Mandi Bahauddin and Lodhran. The PDMA also confirmed damage to at least one house in Bahawalpur. Officials clarified that nine other deaths reported on the same day were not directly linked to rain or flooding. These incidents included drownings in canals and rivers in Kot Addu, Narowal, and Attock, while four children tragically died of suffocation after becoming trapped inside a parked vehicle in Mianwali. PDMA Director General Saif Anwar Jappa directed deputy commissioners across Punjab to remain on high alert as heavy rainfall is forecast to continue. He said Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz is personally monitoring the situation and has instructed district administrations, Rescue 1122, Water and Sanitation Agency (Wasa), and other departments to remain fully prepared for emergencies. Lahore experienced several hours of intense rainfall, leaving many roads and residential areas submerged. Water accumulated up to one-and-a-half feet deep in areas including Township, Kacha Jail Road, Haider Road, and the Quaid-i-Azam Industrial Estate, causing severe traffic congestion and disrupting public movement. According to Wasa Lahore, the city received an average rainfall of 24.8 millimetres, with the highest rainfall recorded at the Wasa Head Office in Gulberg at 66.4mm. Significant rainfall was also reported in Shadipura, Mughalpura, Mannawan, Johar Town, Tajpura, and several other localities. Faisalabad recorded the highest rainfall in Punjab at 103mm, resulting in extensive urban flooding at multiple locations. Water levels reached up to 23 inches in some areas, prompting Wasa teams to continue dewatering operations throughout the day. Heavy rainfall also affected Gujrat and Mandi Bahauddin, where roads were inundated and drainage operations remained underway. In contrast, Jhelum recorded only light rainfall, and officials reported that all waterlogging points had been cleared by the afternoon. Authorities have advised residents to avoid unnecessary travel during heavy rain, stay away from electricity poles and damaged buildings, and keep children away from floodwater and fast-flowing canals as monsoon conditions persist across the province.

  • | | |

    Security forces kill five militants in Panjgur ope…

    Security forces have killed five militants during an intelligence-based operation in Panjgur district of Balochistan, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR). The operation was conducted after security agencies received intelligence about the presence of militants in the area. Security personnel moved into the suspected location and carried out the operation. Five militants were killed during the operation, ISPR said. A significant quantity of weapons and ammunition was also recovered from the militants. The recovered weapons and ammunition were taken into custody. They were later destroyed by the security forces, according to ISPR. Following the operation, security personnel launched a clearance and search operation in the surrounding area. The search operation is aimed at checking the area for any remaining militants and possible hideouts. Security forces are also examining the area for additional evidence and material linked to militant activities. ISPR said the operation was part of ongoing efforts to eliminate terrorism from Balochistan. The military’s media wing said security forces remain determined to prevent militant groups from carrying out attacks. It further said efforts would continue against terrorism allegedly being carried out with foreign support and assistance. Security forces have intensified operations against militant networks in different parts of the province. Authorities have repeatedly stressed the need for intelligence-based operations to identify and target militant elements. The latest operation in Panjgur comes amid continued security efforts in Balochistan

  • |

    Israel accused of AI influence campaign

    Israel allegedly spent tens of millions of dollars on a digital campaign aimed at shaping how artificial intelligence systems respond to questions about the war in Gaza. The report claims that Brad Parscale, a former campaign manager for US President Donald Trump, and his company, Clock Tower X, secured a $46.5 million contract from the Israeli government to create an online network promoting Israeli viewpoints. The campaign reportedly sought to influence AI platforms such as ChatGPT, Claude, Gemini and Perplexity. According to documents cited in the report, Clock Tower X created hundreds of articles on websites covering the Gaza war, Israel’s military operations and US-Israel relations. The strategy focused on producing large amounts of online content that search engines could index and AI systems could later use when generating answers. The report described the approach as a form of “LLM poisoning,” in which coordinated online content attempts to shape the information that large language models encounter during web searches, data collection or training. Websites reportedly linked to the campaign, including Allyvia.org, FactSignal.org and Paxpoint.org, published material supporting stronger US-Israel military cooperation, defending Israel’s actions in Gaza and disputing allegations against the Israeli military. Drop Site News also reported that some AI-powered services have already referenced content from the network. In one test, Perplexity reportedly cited Allyvia.org in response to a question about US military cooperation with Israel, while Microsoft’s Copilot also referenced websites associated with Clock Tower X. The report further claimed that content from the network entered Common Crawl, a widely used archive of web pages that developers and researchers rely on to build and train AI systems. The 10 websites allegedly connected to Clock Tower X appeared in Common Crawl records hundreds of times between January and June, potentially increasing their visibility to AI systems and influencing future AI-generated responses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *