israeli crackdown intensifies
|

Israeli crackdown intensifies in West Bank as sett…

The Israeli military has launched an aggressive crackdown across the occupied West Bank, storming towns and villages and detaining hundreds of Palestinians, following a deadly shootout on Friday that killed four Palestinians and two Israeli soldiers .

The “wide-scale military operation” ordered by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu intensified on Sunday, as Jewish settlers grew bolder and more violent marauding through villages, scrawling graffiti on buildings, and attacking Palestinians .

In the town of Qusra, southeast of Nablus, settlers attempted to set the newly built Al-Rahma Mosque ablaze, spray-painting slogans such as “Jewish revenge” on its walls, according to Abdel Azim Wadi, head of the village council. Videos verified by Al Jazeera showed fire consuming the mosque .

A second mosque, in the village of Kour south of Tulkarem, was also targeted in an arson attack. Farid Jiyousi, a member of the village council, said three settlers tried to set the mosque ablaze at dawn, but worshippers managed to extinguish the flames before they could reach the main prayer area .

Al Jazeera’s Nour Odeh, reporting from Ramallah, said Israeli forces raided Rafidia near Nablus as part of the ongoing military operation .

Political analysts have linked the escalating violence to domestic political pressures on Netanyahu . Opinion polls suggest the Prime Minister could lose power, and land grabs along with accelerating the establishment of new illegal settlements sit well with his right-wing support base . Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has announced plans to build 763 new units in the illegal Eli settlement, south of Nablus, a move likely to further inflame tensions .

The violence has not gone unchallenged inside Israel. Hundreds gathered in Tel Aviv on Saturday to protest against the surge in settler violence and the military crackdown in the West Bank. Israeli police arrested nine protesters, stating that the demonstrations had gone ahead without authorization and had begun to “disrupt public order and block the roadway” .

The intensification of military operations and settler violence marks a significant escalation in the occupied territory, coming amid broader regional turmoil including developments in Gaza and along the Lebanese border . The international community has repeatedly condemned settlement expansion and settler violence, though such condemnations have done little to curb the trend in recent years .

Similar Posts

  • Civilian Death Toll in Thailand Rises to 16 Amid Continued Border Clashes

    BANGKOK – Ongoing border clashes with Cambodia continued throughout Tuesday, with Thai authorities announcing the civilian death toll has now reached 16. While the fighting intensifies, officials report the broader economic impact of the conflict has so far been limited, the Bangkok Post reported. Thai Immigration Enforces Stricter Airport Screening During Border Conflict Rear Admiral […]

  • | |

    LHC grants bail to Libya boat tragedy suspect

    The Lahore High Court (LHC) has granted post-arrest bail to Muhammad Tahir, a suspect in the Libya boat tragedy case, ruling that investigations into international human trafficking cases must be supported by credible and legally admissible evidence rather than mere suspicion. Justice Amjad Rafiq issued a detailed 10-page written verdict explaining the reasons for granting bail. The court observed that allegations of human trafficking, being an international crime, require thorough and professional investigations based on concrete evidence. The court noted that the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) should have obtained evidence from abroad and sought legal assistance from relevant international authorities during the investigation. It said cooperation with foreign agencies is essential in cases involving cross-border human trafficking. According to the written order, investigators should have collected digital and documentary evidence, including WhatsApp chats, call records, bank records, travel documents and other electronic data. The court stressed that such evidence is necessary to establish the active role of an accused in an alleged trafficking network. The judgment further stated that the standard of investigation must be strong enough to legally prove an accused person’s involvement rather than relying on assumptions or incomplete evidence. The court also highlighted the need for reforms to effectively combat human trafficking. It said stronger legislation, improved investigative methods and better law enforcement mechanisms are essential to tackle organised trafficking networks. The LHC ruled that the transfer of money into a person’s bank account alone cannot be treated as proof of involvement in human trafficking. It added that suspicion, speculation or banking transactions by themselves are insufficient to establish criminal liability in such cases. The court ordered the release of Muhammad Tahir on post-arrest bail against surety bonds of Rs500,000, subject to the conditions set by the court. The case will continue in accordance with the law while further investigation proceeds.

  • |

    Indian soldier accused of killing wife while on leave in Punjab

      PUNJAB, INDIA: An Indian Border Security Force (BSF) personnel has allegedly killed his wife while he was home on leave in Punjab, with the incident taking place in Hoshiarpur district, according to Indian media reports. The BSF personnel has been accused of murdering his wife and allegedly attempting to conceal the circumstances surrounding her death by claiming that she had accidentally fallen from the roof of their house. According to reports, the couple had been married for around 12 years and had two children. Family members reportedly said that tensions between the husband and wife had been frequent because of the man’s alleged behaviour. The victim’s family has accused him of repeatedly subjecting her to physical abuse during their marriage. In an application submitted to the police, the victim’s family alleged that the accused reached home on August 13 and severely assaulted his wife shortly after arriving. The family claimed that the incident resulted in serious injuries to the woman. According to the complaint, the victim’s parents were informed the following morning that their daughter was in critical condition and had been taken to a hospital. They immediately went to the hospital, where they were reportedly informed that she had succumbed to her injuries. The victim’s family said they observed multiple severe marks of physical assault on her body. Based on the condition of the body and the family’s previous concerns about the couple’s relationship, they raised suspicions about the explanation that she had fallen from the roof. The victim’s father accused his son-in-law of having an extremely aggressive and violent temperament. He alleged that the accused had physically abused his daughter repeatedly since their marriage and had subjected her to violence on several occasions. The father further alleged that the accused beat his wife to death and then attempted to avoid arrest and legal consequences by portraying the incident as an accidental fall from the roof. Following the complaint, police registered a case against the accused husband as well as his uncle and aunt. The BSF personnel has been arrested in connection with the case, while the other two named suspects are reportedly absconding. Police teams are conducting searches to locate and arrest them. The authorities are investigating the circumstances surrounding the woman’s death and are expected to examine evidence collected from the scene, statements from family members and other relevant material. The allegations made by the victim’s family will also be subject to investigation and legal proceedings. The case has drawn attention to concerns surrounding domestic violence and the difficulties victims and their families can face when allegations of repeated abuse are involved. The victim’s family has maintained that the woman’s death was not an accident and has demanded legal action against those responsible. The investigation will determine whether the injuries were caused by an assault and whether the accused deliberately attempted to misrepresent the circumstances of his wife’s death. Police have not yet announced the final findings of the investigation. The arrested BSF personnel will face further legal proceedings as authorities continue investigating the case, while efforts remain underway to locate the two other suspects named in the complaint.

  • | |

    Paris Jackson shares rare insights into first meet…

    Paris Jackson is opening up about one of the most personal moments of her life: meeting her mother, Debbie Rowe, for the first time when she was 15. The singer and actress discussed the experience during a recent appearance on the Call Her Daddy podcast. Looking back, Paris revealed that the meeting was much more relaxed than people might expect. Rather than being an emotional or dramatic reunion, their first encounter unfolded in a surprisingly natural way. (People.com⁠) Paris explained that she had started asking questions about her mother when she was around 10 or 11. At the time, she was given enough information to satisfy her curiosity, including Rowe’s name, and she simply moved on. Several years later, however, Paris and Rowe finally connected when Paris was about 15. The reunion happened after years of limited contact. Rowe is the biological mother of Paris and her older brother, Prince Jackson. She was married to Michael Jackson from 1996 until their divorce in 2000, after which Michael retained full custody of their children. (EW.com⁠) Paris recalled that when she first encountered Rowe, she was with her grandmother. Instead of making the moment overly serious, Paris greeted her mother casually, reportedly saying, “Hey, Mom.” The two then spent time together talking and getting to know each other. (Page Six⁠) Interestingly, Paris said she did not approach the reunion with many expectations. She believes that keeping expectations low helped their relationship develop naturally instead of placing pressure on either of them. Over time, the mother-daughter relationship became stronger. Paris has previously spoken about discovering similarities between herself and Rowe, including their personalities and shared interest in music. She has also noted that they look alike and enjoy similar genres, particularly country and folk music. (Yahoo⁠) Their bond became especially meaningful as the years passed. Paris supported Rowe during her battle with breast cancer in 2016, further strengthening their connection. More recently, Paris has continued to share glimpses of their relationship, including rare photos of the two together. The actress has also reflected on how different her relationship with Rowe is from a traditional mother-daughter bond. Because they were separated during much of Paris’ childhood, their connection developed more gradually as she grew older. Now, Paris appears grateful for the relationship they have built. Her latest comments offer a rare glimpse into a deeply personal chapter of her life and show how a simple first meeting at 15 eventually grew into a meaningful bond between mother and daughter.

  • |

    Wildfires spread towards Bordeaux as Spain records first fire-related death

    Massive wildfires continued to spread across parts of France and Spain on Saturday, forcing large-scale evacuations and stretching emergency services as firefighters battled fast-moving flames driven by strong winds and prolonged heat. In France, the fires advanced inland toward Bordeaux, prompting thousands of residents in surrounding suburbs to leave their homes. Across the border in Spain, authorities confirmed the first death linked to the ongoing wildfire crisis after an elderly man died during a brush fire near Valencia. The fires have already displaced hundreds of thousands of people in both countries and are among the latest extreme weather disasters affecting southern Europe. Experts have linked the growing intensity of such events to prolonged dry conditions and repeated heatwaves that have become more common in recent years. French Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu said the scale of the fires was unlike anything the country had experienced before and warned that the situation remained extremely serious. Meteorological data shows that temperatures in the affected region of southwestern France have averaged more than 32 degrees Celsius throughout July, far above the historical average for the month. The combination of unusually high temperatures, dry vegetation and powerful winds has created ideal conditions for wildfires to spread rapidly, making it difficult for emergency crews to contain them. French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said firefighters were preparing for a long and demanding operation as the flames continued to move closer to Bordeaux. To strengthen the response, the French government has deployed military support alongside local firefighting teams. One of the country’s largest military transport aircraft joined the operation by dropping fire retardant over forests engulfed by flames. Aerial firefighting efforts have become a crucial part of the emergency response as crews struggle to slow the fires from the ground. The fires have destroyed homes and forests across the region while thick smoke has covered large areas. Around 197,000 people have been evacuated from the Gironde and Landes departments since the wildfires began earlier this week. Officials said the flames had reached within about 30 kilometers of Bordeaux. Although Bordeaux Airport remained open, transport services to and from the airport were disrupted, and the government advised people to avoid unnecessary travel in the affected region. Many evacuees described leaving their homes with little time to prepare. Seventy-one-year-old Bernadette said she fled during the night with her two grandsons, leaving behind most of her belongings, including essential medication. She is now staying at a conference center in Bordeaux that has been converted into temporary emergency accommodation for displaced residents. Spain is facing a similarly severe crisis. Three major wildfires, including two that merged west of Madrid, have forced authorities to declare the country’s first national wildfire emergency. Nearly 88,000 people have either been evacuated or ordered to remain indoors because of the fires. Emergency services continue to battle multiple fire fronts while high winds make containment efforts even more difficult. The country’s first confirmed wildfire-related death occurred near Valencia, where an elderly man died in his vehicle during a smaller brush fire that was later brought under control. Spain has also received international assistance through the European Union’s emergency response system. Additional firefighting aircraft from Italy and Greece are joining planes already sent by Portugal and the Netherlands to help contain the blazes. The situation around Madrid remains especially challenging as another wildfire in the neighboring province of Avila threatens to merge with existing fires. Firefighters are also dealing with the added difficulty of an ongoing union strike, although officials say it has had only a limited impact on staffing levels. Spanish Health Minister Monica Garcia urged residents to avoid spending time outdoors because of the dangerous smoke. She advised people to limit physical activity outside and wear face masks if they need to leave their homes. Residents forced to evacuate described hurried departures after receiving emergency alerts. One woman from the town of Fresnedillas de la Oliva said she grabbed only a few valuables and her pet cat before leaving as thick smoke filled the sky. Authorities in both countries continue to warn that the wildfire threat remains high as hot, dry and windy conditions persist.

  • | |

    Karachi lights up for Pakistan-Saudi-Turkey defenc…

    KARACHI: Karachi lit up in a striking display of friendship and solidarity after Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye signed a defence agreement in Makkah, with prominent government and historic buildings decorated in the colours and flags of the three countries. The city’s landmarks were transformed with special lighting, creating a festive atmosphere as Pakistanis welcomed the development involving the two brotherly Muslim countries. The Sindh Assembly building became one of the most prominent symbols of the occasion, with the national flags of Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye displayed prominently on the building. The Sindh Secretariat was also illuminated with specially arranged lights reflecting the colours associated with the three nations. The decorations gave the government complex a distinctive appearance and drew attention from people passing through the area. Another major attraction was Karachi’s historic Frere Hall, which was illuminated with colourful lights to mark the defence agreement. The landmark’s nighttime appearance quickly caught the attention of residents and visitors, adding a celebratory touch to the city. Flags of Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye were also displayed along important roads and at other prominent locations across Karachi. The coordinated decorations were aimed at expressing solidarity with the three countries and highlighting their longstanding fraternal ties. The development comes as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye seek to strengthen cooperation in areas of mutual interest. The defence agreement signed in Makkah has drawn considerable attention in Pakistan, particularly because of the close political, economic and strategic relationships among the three countries. For Karachi, however, the agreement was reflected not through speeches or official statements alone but through the city’s skyline and landmarks. From the Sindh Assembly to Frere Hall, the green, red and national colours created a powerful visual message of friendship. The illuminated landmarks offered residents a memorable glimpse of the occasion, turning parts of Karachi into a colourful tribute to the growing bonds among Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *