whoopi goldberg defends
| |

Whoopi Goldberg defends Elliot Page’s casting in The Odyssey

Whoopi Goldberg has stepped forward to defend the casting of Elliot Page in Christopher Nolan’s The Odyssey, delivering a pointed and characteristically direct response to the wave of criticism that has been directed at the actor since the film’s release.
Speaking on Tuesday’s episode of The View, Goldberg addressed the backlash head-on after a clip was played of conservative commentator Ben Shapiro describing Page’s role as an “absolute puzzler” and taking aim at the actor’s appearance and voice. Goldberg’s response was blunt and unapologetic.
“A lot of conservatives who see this are going to feel the same way. That’s okay,” she said. “But I don’t understand. Why go see the movie? If you don’t want to see it, don’t go see it. Why do you care who’s cast in it?”
She continued: “I don’t understand this idea that if we hate it, everybody must hate it because we hate it for this reason. You don’t like Elliot Page? Don’t go see the damn movie. Don’t do it. We will be okay if you don’t go see it.”
Page, who is trans, plays Sinon in the film, a cousin of Matt Damon’s Odysseus. The casting drew significant online criticism, some of it amplified after Elon Musk weighed in on social media, initially claiming incorrectly that Page would be playing the warrior Achilles. Despite the inaccuracy being pointed out, the backlash continued and widened.
Page is not the only cast member to have faced criticism over their casting. Lupita Nyong’o, who plays both Helen of Troy and her sister Clytemnestra in the film, has also been subjected to racially charged criticism over her dual role, highlighting a pattern of commentary around the film’s diverse ensemble that goes well beyond questions of artistic interpretation.
Fellow View panelist Alyssa Farah Griffin also pushed back on the criticism during the segment, arguing that the film’s themes of family, faith and the consequences of war are broad and universal enough to resonate across different audiences, including those who had voiced objections before seeing the film.
What the controversy has not managed to do is dent the film’s commercial performance. The Odyssey opened in theatres on July 17 and crossed $300 million worldwide within days, making it one of the biggest releases of Christopher Nolan’s career and one of the year’s most significant box office events so far.
For Goldberg, the message was simple: the film exists, it is performing, and those who object to its casting choices have every right to stay away. What they do not have, in her view, is the right to demand that everyone else feels the same.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Role Model shares reason for missing Taylor Swift’s wedding

    Singer-songwriter Role Model has shared why he was unable to attend Taylor Swift’s highly talked-about wedding, while also opening up about how attending his first wedding as an adult completely reshaped his views on marriage. The 29-year-old musician, whose real name is Tucker Pillsbury, explained that he had to skip the July 3 celebration because he was fully occupied with promoting his upcoming album, Chuck Timely & the Hourglass, which is scheduled for release on August 7. Although he missed the star-studded event, Role Model said he had heard wonderful things about the ceremony and wished he could have been there. He admitted that the timing of his album rollout left him unable to take a break from work, despite the significance of the occasion. Beyond discussing the wedding he missed, the singer reflected on how attending another wedding had a surprisingly emotional impact on him. For years, he had viewed marriage with skepticism and never found the traditional ceremony itself particularly appealing. According to Role Model, the idea of spending a lifetime with someone has always seemed deeply romantic, but the customs surrounding weddings—including gathering large groups of people in a church—never resonated with him. That perspective shifted dramatically after he attended his first wedding as an adult. The experience caught him completely off guard, as he found himself overcome with emotion during the ceremony. He admitted that he unexpectedly cried, something he had never anticipated before attending the event. Looking back, the artist said his emotional reaction was about more than simply witnessing two people get married. It also made him reflect on his own life, describing the feeling as watching others move forward while questioning where he stood in comparison. The experience inspired him to write his song The Wedding, which explores the emotions sparked by that life-changing moment. Role Model revealed that those feelings only grew stronger when his sister later got married. Watching another loved one reach a major milestone prompted even more self-reflection, encouraging him to think deeply about relationships, commitment, and the passage of time. The singer also offered insight into his approach to romance, admitting that he naturally prepares himself for the worst in relationships. Rather than seeing that mindset as a flaw, he believes it helps him stay grounded and avoid rushing into serious commitments based solely on attraction or the excitement of an early connection. He explained that asking difficult questions at the beginning of a relationship is important to him, saying he prefers to carefully consider compatibility instead of diving in without hesitation. Role Model also confirmed that he is dating actress Dakota Johnson. Their relationship has attracted attention since the pair were first linked late last year, and they have since been photographed together on multiple occasions. Johnson also makes a special appearance on Role Model’s upcoming album, contributing a spoken-word cameo to the track Love I You. The song features a lighthearted exchange between the couple, giving fans a glimpse of their chemistry beyond the public eye. As Role Model prepares to release his new record, he continues to balance his growing music career with a more thoughtful outlook on love and commitment—one that has evolved significantly after experiences he never expected would leave such a lasting emotional impression.

  • |

    Romania shuts final nuclear reactor as severe Danube drought forces emergency energy measures

    Romania has completed a full shutdown of its Cernavoda nuclear power plant after severe drought dropped water levels in the Danube River to historic lows. The plant, which relies on the Danube for cooling and typically provides 20% of the country’s electricity generation, took its second reactor offline following the prior closure of its first reactor in late July. State operator Nuclearelectrica stated that the second reactor was shut down due to the ongoing drop in water levels, with no restart anticipated for at least ten days. To mitigate the energy shortfall, Romania declared a state of emergency for August, activated a 330-megawatt lignite-fired power plant, and requested that major industrial consumers and households curb power use during peak hours. Major automakers including Dacia and Ford have paused domestic production to help conserve power. The total shutdown immediately threatens energy security in neighbouring Moldova, which relies on Romanian imports to cover up to 60% of its electricity deficits. Moldovan authorities warned of potential rolling power cuts if alternative supplies cannot be secured from Ukraine or Western Europe. Across Europe, low river levels have similarly forced nuclear output reductions in France and triggered emergency engineering interventions in Hungary.

  • |

    Hrithik Roshan recalls father’s financial crisis after Koyla setback

    Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan has opened up about one of the most emotional periods in his family’s life, recalling the financial difficulties his father, filmmaker Rakesh Roshan, faced following the commercial disappointment of Shah Rukh Khan’s 1997 film Koyla. The 52-year-old actor recently spoke about his father’s struggles and revealed that there was a time when Rakesh Roshan lost a significant portion of the money he had earned throughout his career. According to Hrithik, the setback was severe enough to create financial difficulties for the family and left a lasting impression on him. Recalling the difficult period, Hrithik said he still remembers a particular morning when he saw his father with tears in his eyes for the first time. The actor explained that Rakesh Roshan had told him that he had lost all the money he had earned. For Hrithik, witnessing his father in such a vulnerable state was an experience he could never forget. He described the moment as extremely emotional because he had never previously seen his father so broken and distressed. Rakesh Roshan had produced Koyla under his production banner Filmkraft Productions. The action thriller featured Shah Rukh Khan and Madhuri Dixit in the lead roles, alongside Amrish Puri, Deepa Sahi, Ashok Saraf, Johnny Lever and several other prominent actors. Released in 1997, Koyla revolved around Shankar, played by Shah Rukh Khan, a mute and loyal coal miner who works in a coal mine. The film combined action, romance and drama and was one of the major productions associated with Rakesh Roshan’s production house at the time. Despite its scale and star-studded cast, the film failed to achieve the level of commercial success that had been expected. It was reportedly made on a budget of around Rs 12 crore and earned approximately Rs 28 crore worldwide. Although the film recovered a significant amount at the box office, its overall commercial performance was considered disappointing in relation to its investment and expectations. The experience became an important chapter in Hrithik Roshan’s understanding of his father’s professional and personal journey. Years later, the actor has established himself as one of Bollywood’s leading stars, while Rakesh Roshan has continued to remain an influential filmmaker and producer. The father-son duo is now preparing to return to the superhero franchise that has been closely associated with their careers. Hrithik and Rakesh Roshan are currently involved in preparations for Krrish 4, the next installment in the popular superhero series. Hrithik’s recent recollection offers a rare glimpse into the challenges his family faced behind the glamour of Bollywood and highlights the personal impact that professional setbacks can have, even on established filmmakers.

  • | | |

    PSX rallies over 5,000 points as regional tensions…

    The Pakistan Stock Exchange started the week with a strong rally on Monday. The benchmark KSE-100 Index gained more than 5,000 points during intraday trading. The sharp rise came as investors welcomed the pause in fighting between the United States and Iran. The index opened with strong buying activity. By 9:50am, it had risen 4,501 points to reach 175,522.53 points. The previous close was 171,021.20 points. The upward movement continued during the morning session. By 10:30am, the index had gained 5,069 points and reached 176,090.08 points. The improved geopolitical situation boosted investor confidence. The United States and Iran have paused their military strikes. The development has raised hopes for renewed diplomatic efforts. Investors also expect the easing of tensions to support shipping activity through the Strait of Hormuz. The waterway is important for global energy supplies. Any prolonged disruption can push oil prices higher and increase pressure on economies that depend on imported fuel. The latest development also affected global oil markets. Crude prices fell sharply as investors reacted to the temporary halt in hostilities. Brent crude briefly dropped below $90 per barrel. It fell more than 7% at one stage during early trading. US West Texas Intermediate crude also declined. The fall in international oil prices could provide some relief to Pakistan’s economy. Pakistan spends a significant amount on energy imports. Lower oil prices can therefore help reduce pressure on the country’s import bill and external account. Market analysts said the improvement in geopolitical conditions could also influence the State Bank of Pakistan’s monetary policy decision. Awais Ashraf, director of research at AKD Securities, said investors were expecting the central bank to maintain the policy rate. The State Bank is also expected to assess developments in the Middle East. The impact of recent floods on Pakistan’s economy will also remain under consideration. Analysts said the continuing decline in inflation and a relatively comfortable external account could support monetary easing in the coming months. However, economic activity and money supply trends remain important factors for policymakers. The strong rally follows a difficult week for the PSX. The KSE-100 Index had fallen by around 2.7% last week. The index lost 4,782 points and closed at 171,021.20 points. Rising tensions between the United States and Iran had increased uncertainty in financial markets. Higher international oil prices also added pressure. Investors had remained cautious because of concerns that the conflict could expand across the region. Monday’s sharp recovery shows how quickly market sentiment can change when geopolitical risks decline. Despite the strong gains, analysts remain cautious about the outlook. Further developments between Washington and Tehran will remain important. Global oil prices will also influence investor sentiment. The State Bank’s monetary policy decision is another key factor for the market.

  • | |

    Netflix finally unveils Pakistan’s biggest series

    Pakistan’s first original Netflix series, “Jo Bachay Hain Sang Samait Lo,” is reportedly set to premiere by the end of 2026 after facing repeated delays that left fans uncertain about its future. The series is based on the bestselling novel of the same name by acclaimed writer Farhat Ishtiaq. First published as a serialized story in 2009, the novel later appeared in book form in 2013 and became one of Pakistan’s most popular contemporary romance novels. The project marks a major milestone for Pakistan’s entertainment industry as it is the country’s first original production created specifically for Netflix. Unlike several Pakistani television dramas that were added to the streaming platform after airing locally, this series was developed exclusively as a Netflix original. The drama features one of the biggest ensemble casts in Pakistani television. It stars Mahira Khan, Fawad Khan, Bilal Ashraf, Hamza Ali Abbasi, Hania Aamir, Iqra Aziz, Sanam Saeed, Ahad Raza Mir, Nadia Khan, along with several other well-known actors. The series has been directed and produced by Momina Duraid. The project was initially expected to debut in 2025, but its release was postponed without any official explanation. The delay led to widespread speculation among viewers, with many questioning whether the series would ever reach the streaming platform. Fresh reports now suggest that post-production work is nearing completion. The final editing process is said to be underway, while promotional activities involving the cast are expected to begin in the coming weeks ahead of the planned release. Despite the latest update, many fans remain cautious after the long wait. Social media users have expressed excitement about the possibility of finally watching the series but say they will believe the release only when Netflix officially announces the premiere date and makes the episodes available. If released as expected, “Jo Bachay Hain Sang Samait Lo” is likely to become one of Pakistan’s biggest digital entertainment launches, introducing local storytelling to a wider international audience through one of the world’s leading streaming platforms.

  • | | |

    Uganda backs sending troops to planned Gaza peace …

    Uganda’s Parliament has approved a government proposal to deploy troops to a planned international peace and stabilisation force for Gaza, marking the country’s first commitment to the proposed multinational mission. The resolution was introduced by Uganda’s Minister of Defence and received parliamentary approval following debate among lawmakers. With the decision, Uganda joins Morocco, which has also announced its willingness to contribute troops to the proposed force. The Ugandan government has not publicly disclosed the diplomatic discussions or political considerations behind its decision. However, the move sparked debate in Parliament, with opposition members expressing concerns about the potential implications for Uganda’s foreign policy and regional relationships. Opposition lawmaker Hassan Kiromera questioned the mission’s objectives, asking which parties Ugandan troops would ultimately be expected to confront if deployed. He argued that the government should provide greater clarity regarding the mandate of the proposed force before committing military personnel. Defence Minister Jacob Oboth-Oboth defended the proposal, stating that the Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) possess extensive experience in international peacekeeping operations, including missions in Somalia and other conflict zones. He said that this experience would enable Ugandan troops to contribute effectively to efforts aimed at restoring peace and stability in Gaza. According to the report, the proposed Gaza International Stabilisation Force is expected to consist of approximately 20,000 personnel from multiple countries. The force is reportedly planned under a proposal associated with US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace and would be commanded by US Major General Jasper Jeffers. The mission is intended to help maintain law and order in Gaza following the end of hostilities between Israel and Hamas. Reports indicate that the proposal was first introduced earlier this year as part of broader discussions on post-conflict governance and security arrangements in the territory. The development follows recent announcements regarding a reported agreement under which Hamas would disarm and Israel would gradually withdraw its military forces from Gaza. Under the reported framework, the international stabilisation force would be deployed after the phased Israeli withdrawal. However, uncertainty remains over the implementation of the proposed arrangement. Israeli officials have reportedly expressed serious security concerns after reviewing the reported agreement, arguing that certain provisions could pose risks to national security. As a result, questions remain about the timeline and conditions for the deployment of the multinational peace force despite Uganda’s parliamentary approval.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *