france records more
|

France records more than 5,000 deaths during June heatwave

More than 5,000 excess deaths were recorded in France during the severe heatwave that spanned late June and early July.

According to data released by France’s national health agency, Santé publique France, 21,674 total deaths from all causes were registered between 17 June and 2 July across the affected regions. Under normal conditions, statistical modeling projected approximately 15,910 deaths for that period, resulting in 5,764 additional or excess deaths, a 36 per cent increase above expected baselines.

Public health officials attribute the sharp rise in mortality to the intensity, early onset, and duration of the extreme temperatures, which affected 92 administrative departments representing nearly 98.5 per cent of the country’s population. Over half of the excess deaths occurred during the peak of the heatwave between 25 June and 27 June, with individuals aged 75 and older accounting for roughly two-thirds of the fatalities.

The Île-de-France region, which encompasses Paris, recorded the highest impact, experiencing nearly 2,000 excess deaths, an 80 per cent surge above normal levels.

The preliminary figures mark the highest excess mortality recorded from a heatwave in France since the historic 2003 heatwave. Authorities noted that the initial tally surpasses total summer heat-related excess deaths from the entire previous year, with consolidated final figures expected following the conclusion of summer health monitoring in the autumn.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    US commander warns troops over social media posts

    The top US military commander overseeing American forces in the Middle East has warned troops that photos and videos shared on social media could help Iran quickly assess the damage caused by attacks on US bases. According to Reuters, US Central Command chief Admiral Brad Cooper made the warning in a July 28 letter to service members. He said Iran was using media reports, along with images and videos posted by US troops, to determine whether its attacks had succeeded or failed. Cooper urged military personnel to follow operational security rules more strictly, although he did not outline any specific measures in the letter. Reuters reported that some US troops stationed in Jordan have been told that authorities could take away their mobile phones in the coming days. Another source said officials were also considering similar measures elsewhere in the region, although no final decision has been made.   US Central Command spokesman Captain Timothy Hawkins said the message aimed to remind troops about the importance of operational security. The warning followed the appearance of a video on social media earlier this month that showed a US service member recording himself while heading toward a bunker during an Iranian attack on Jordan’s Muwaffaq Salti Air Base. Cooper said the soldier recorded the video using Meta smart glasses, potentially giving Iran information about the troops’ location and their response to the attack. He said that without publicly available images, videos and reports, Iran would have a harder time determining whether its strikes hit their intended targets. However, such material can effectively provide Iran with a free assessment of battlefield damage. According to Reuters, 18 US service members have been killed and more than 600 injured since the conflict with Iran began on February 28. The US Department of Defense has limited the release of information about the attacks and military casualties due to security concerns.

  • |

    Trump backs Infantino as FIFA power struggle intensifies

    WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has thrown his support behind embattled FIFA president Gianni Infantino, warning that removing the football chief would be a “terrible mistake” as opposition to Infantino grows within several major football confederations. Trump’s intervention came after UEFA, CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) jointly criticised Infantino in an unusually strong open letter, accusing him of damaging trust and placing his authority above the wider football community. “If, for any reason, they even considered replacing President Gianni Infantino,” Trump said on Truth Social, “FIFA would be making a terrible mistake.” The US president described Infantino as “fantastic” and praised his leadership of the expanded 2026 World Cup, which was hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico. Trump also argued that the tournament had been the most successful World Cup ever and warned that FIFA could struggle to maintain the same level of success and profitability without Infantino. The public backing is significant because Infantino is facing growing resistance over a controversial proposal to bring private investment into FIFA competitions, including the World Cup. The plan was eventually withdrawn after fierce opposition from European football authorities. UEFA had threatened to boycott future World Cups if the investment proposal went ahead, describing the arrangement as an opaque and questionable deal. The pressure ultimately played a major role in Infantino abandoning the plan. The FIFA president received renewed support from senior officials during an emergency meeting in Morocco last week. However, UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC dismissed that backing, arguing that the meeting did not address the concerns raised by the confederations. The three bodies accused Infantino of failing to uphold the principles of accountability and collective leadership. They stressed that football’s governing structure should not revolve around one individual. The dispute could have major consequences ahead of the FIFA presidential election scheduled for March 2027. Infantino, who has led FIFA for a decade, is seeking a fourth and final term. Candidates must declare their intentions by November 18. CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani is regarded as a potential challenger, although Infantino continues to enjoy support from several influential football bodies. The Confederation of African Football has backed him, while South American governing body CONMEBOL remains broadly supportive. Several individual national associations have also expressed support. However, FIFA’s voting system means individual member associations—not confederations—will ultimately decide the election. Infantino’s position had appeared secure after the successful 48-team World Cup, but the private investment controversy has dramatically changed the political landscape. The latest confrontation has therefore turned the road to the 2027 FIFA election into an increasingly intense power struggle, with Trump now openly backing Infantino while several major football authorities demand greater accountability and collective decision-making.

  • | |

    Jeana Keough unable to speak as cancer treatment takes heavy toll

    Former The Real Housewives of Orange County star Jeana Keough is facing another difficult setback in her battle with tongue cancer, with her family revealing that the 70-year-old is now unable to speak as treatment continues to take a severe physical toll. The update comes just days after Keough’s family announced that she had been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. Her daughter, Kara Keough, has since shared an emotional account of her mother’s condition, describing the pain she is experiencing as “brutal.” Taking to Instagram Stories, Kara explained that radiation treatment has caused intense discomfort in both her mother’s tongue and throat. “The tongue and throat pain, paired with the mucus from radiation on the area, is just brutal,” Kara wrote. She added, “Poor mama has to spit into tissues all day.” According to Kara, Jeana has already undergone two surgeries after doctors discovered that the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes. Alongside surgery, she has been receiving chemotherapy, radiation therapy and immunotherapy in an effort to treat the disease. However, the aggressive treatment has left the former reality television personality physically exhausted and struggling with everyday activities. Kara revealed that her mother has become “exhausted, struggling to stay awake, and becoming malnourished because the pain in her tongue and throat makes swallowing even the smallest bites or sips incredibly difficult.” The family had hoped to improve Jeana’s nutrition by having a feeding tube (G-tube) inserted after she reportedly went two weeks without eating a proper meal. Those plans, however, have now been postponed after doctors identified additional health complications. According to Kara, physicians discovered both a deep vein thrombosis and an infection in her leg, forcing them to delay the procedure. Explaining the situation, Kara wrote, “The feeding tube can’t be put directly into her stomach until there’s clarity on the infection.” As a result, Jeana’s cancer treatment has temporarily been placed on hold while doctors focus on treating the infection before proceeding with further care. Despite the difficult circumstances, Kara remained hopeful and asked supporters to continue keeping her mother in their thoughts and prayers. She shared the family’s current prayer requests, writing, “Prayer needs: that this infection clears quickly, that she can get the G-tube surgery imminently so that hangry Jeana doesn’t murder someone, and that we can quickly resume treatment so that this torment can be put in the rear view mirror.” The message combined honesty with humour, reflecting the family’s determination to stay optimistic during an extremely challenging period. Jeana first rose to fame as one of the original cast members of The Real Housewives of Orange County, where viewers followed her personal and family life over several seasons. Since news of her diagnosis became public, fans and fellow reality television personalities have flooded social media with messages of encouragement and support. For now, Jeana’s family remains focused on clearing the infection, improving her nutrition and ensuring she is strong enough to resume cancer treatment as soon as doctors determine it is safe to do so. 

  • Trump’s wildfire blame game with Canada draws scientist backlash

    President Trump’s claim that Canada is “poisoning” American air with wildfire smoke is facing strong pushback from climate scientists, who say he is blaming a country for a crisis it did not create. Trump raised the issue with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and later told reporters at Joint Base Andrews that the fires need to stop. The exchange happened during the World Cup final. Trump confronted Carney at the match, telling him directly that American air was being poisoned and that the fires had to be brought under control. Afterward, he floated financial consequences. He suggested Canada should either pay damages or face new tariffs over the smoke. Trump has framed the fires in unusually aggressive terms. On Truth Social, he wrote that the United States was being “unnecessarily invaded” by polluted air from Canada’s poorly maintained forests, calling it willful negligence that costs America billions every year. Some allies in Congress have echoed that tone, with talk of legislation targeting Canada’s forestry practices. Meanwhile, the smoke itself has been widespread. Fires that began in mid-June spread further in July, affecting roughly 100 million Americans across 14 states. Canadian officials note that this year’s boreal forest losses are running well above the historical average. Scientists reject the idea that Canada is at fault. Climate researcher Michael Mann has compared Trump’s stance to someone causing a car crash through reckless driving, then sending the other driver the repair bill. He went on arguing that the administration’s own fossil fuel expansion is worsening the very problem it’s blaming on Canada. Stanford’s Marshall Burke points out that most of the burning Canadian forest is remote and largely unmanaged, unlike forests in the US. That rising global temperatures, not any lack of Canadian action, are driving the surge in extreme fire conditions. Wildfire ecologist Lori Daniels of the University of British Columbia called the attacks on Canada uninformed, saying they ignore both the human toll and the firefighters risking their lives on the front lines. She noted that targeted forest thinning, inspired by Indigenous land practices, could help in some North American forests, but wouldn’t make much difference across Canada’s vast, sparse boreal landscape. Carney has pushed back too, telling reporters that fighting climate change is “the responsibility of all countries, including the United States”, noting that some U.S. energy policies work against clean energy goals even as Canada pursues its own climate efforts globally.

  • | |

    AJK polls disrupted as clash erupts at Bhimber pol…

    Voting was suspended at a polling station in Azad Jammu and Kashmir’s Bhimber district after a clash broke out between workers of two political parties during the first phase of the AJK elections. The incident took place at the Darbar Baba Shadi Shaheed polling station in constituency LA-6 Bhimber. Following the confrontation, polling was halted temporarily. Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) candidate Abdul Razzaq Chaudhry alleged that workers of an opposing political party started the fight at the polling station. District Returning Officer (DRO) confirmed that a clash had taken place at one of the polling stations at Darbar Baba Shadi Shaheed. According to the official, miscreants snatched a ballot box and set it on fire. The DRO said the ballot box contained 232 votes when it was set ablaze. Returning officials and security personnel are currently present at the polling station. The DRO said legal action would be taken against those involved in disrupting the polling process. Officials have yet to decide whether polling will be held again at the affected polling station. The DRO said a decision on re-polling would be taken later in accordance with the relevant election rules. Apart from the affected polling station, polling is continuing normally at all other polling stations across the constituency. Meanwhile, the DRO also said that former AJK prime minister Anwar-ul-Haq had raised a complaint regarding polling arrangements in constituency LA-7. Officials visited the polling stations where complaints had been received and found that the relevant polling agents were present there.

  • | |

    Pakistan stands firmly with Saudi Arabia: PM

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has reaffirmed Pakistan’s full support for Saudi Arabia during a telephone conversation with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The two leaders discussed the regional security situation, recent developments in the Middle East and the importance of maintaining peace and stability. During the conversation, the prime minister strongly condemned the recent Houthi attacks on Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea. He described the attacks as unacceptable and said they were a clear violation of international law. He added that such actions pose a serious threat to international maritime security, commercial shipping and the free movement of global trade. Shehbaz Sharif said attacks targeting commercial vessels not only endanger regional stability but also threaten the global economy by disrupting vital shipping routes. He stressed that the international community must work together to ensure the safety of maritime trade and prevent further escalation in the region. The prime minister reaffirmed Pakistan’s complete solidarity with Saudi Arabia. He said he, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir and the people of Pakistan stand firmly with the Saudi leadership and the brotherly people of the Kingdom during this challenging period. He emphasized that Pakistan fully supports Saudi Arabia’s efforts to safeguard its security and territorial integrity. Shehbaz Sharif also reiterated Pakistan’s unwavering commitment to the sovereignty, independence and prosperity of Saudi Arabia. He said the deep-rooted relationship between Islamabad and Riyadh is based on shared faith, mutual respect and decades of close cooperation in political, economic and security matters. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman thanked Pakistan for its consistent support and appreciated the strong brotherly ties between the two countries. He acknowledged Pakistan’s continued commitment to regional peace and stability. The prime minister conveyed his best wishes to King Salman bin Abdulaziz, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, and expressed hope for his continued good health and well-being. Shehbaz Sharif also stressed that Pakistan would continue cooperating with Saudi Arabia and the international community to promote peace, security and stability across the Middle East. He emphasized the importance of ensuring uninterrupted maritime traffic through the Red Sea and the Strait of Hormuz, saying these waterways are critical for global trade, energy supplies and international economic stability.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *