destroyer left powerless

US destroyer left powerless for four days in South China Sea

A US Navy destroyer spent four full days without power in the South China Sea last month, after suffering a serious mechanical breakdown. The incident has raised fresh questions about the strain on America’s naval fleet.

The USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, was carrying out routine operations in the Indo-Pacific region on July 24 when the failure occurred. US 7th Fleet spokesperson Cmdr. Matthew Comer told CNN the ship suffered what the Navy described as an engineering casualty involving its generators.

The breakdown left the nearly 10,000-tonne warship unable to manoeuvre on its own. It also knocked out several essential onboard systems, including toilets, air conditioning, galley services and drinking water.

Despite the disruption, Comer confirmed there were no injuries among the crew throughout the ordeal. He praised their response, describing it as resilient, professional and remarkably steady under difficult circumstances.

To help manage the crisis, another US warship, the USS Robert Smalls, stepped in to supply cooked meals to the stranded crew. Additional support came from vessels attached to the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group, which assisted throughout the four-day period.

Once power could not be restored at sea, the Benfold was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for proper repairs. The Navy confirmed that repair work wrapped up by August 8, and the destroyer has since returned to active duty.

The exact cause behind the generator failure remains under investigation. Officials haven’t yet confirmed what specifically triggered the malfunction aboard the vessel.

The incident adds to growing concern that the US Navy is being stretched thin by its expanding list of global commitments. Ongoing tensions tied to the Iran conflict, alongside broader Indo-Pacific operations, have placed additional pressure on naval resources in recent months.

This isn’t an isolated case either. Back in May, another US destroyer, the USS Higgins, also experienced a temporary loss of power and propulsion while operating in the same broader Indo-Pacific region.

With back-to-back incidents now affecting multiple vessels, questions are mounting over whether ageing systems and overstretched deployments are beginning to take a toll on naval readiness.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Iran’s Top Commander issues harsh warning to US forces : ‘their coffins are a part of their equipment’

    The commander of Iran’s Khatam Al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, Major General Ali Abdollahi, has issued a stark warning to US forces, declaring that “their coffins are a part of their equipment” in the region. “Today, the Americans and their mercenaries have realised to the very core of their being that their coffins are part of their equipment in the region,” Abdollahi said, according to the Fars news agency. The warning comes amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington, following recent hostilities in the Persian Gulf. The statement also comes as US Senate Republicans blocked a resolution to halt the Iran war, signaling continued congressional support for the administration’s military stance. Meanwhile, Egypt’s president has warned of “escalation” after a port strike, adding to regional instability. Abdollahi’s remarks reflect Iran’s continued defiance in the face of US military pressure and its determination to maintain its position in the ongoing conflict. The rhetoric is likely to further complicate diplomatic efforts, including those being mediated by Pakistan and Qatar, as both sides remain locked in a bitter standoff.

  • | | |

    Pakistan welcomes Kuwait’s ratification of defen…

    Pakistan has welcomed Kuwait’s ratification of the bilateral defence cooperation agreement, describing the move as a significant milestone in strengthening defence relations and strategic cooperation between the two friendly nations. In an official statement issued on Wednesday, Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the ratification reflects the long-standing partnership between Pakistan and Kuwait and reinforces their shared commitment to expanding defence and security collaboration. According to the Foreign Office spokesperson, defence relations between Pakistan and Kuwait are built on a strong foundation established during the 1980s. The agreement is expected to enhance cooperation in several key areas, including military training, professional military education, joint exercises, and the exchange of expertise between the armed forces of both countries. The spokesperson noted that the agreement provides a comprehensive institutional framework designed to promote closer coordination and sustained engagement between the defence establishments of Pakistan and Kuwait. The framework is intended to strengthen institutional links while creating new opportunities for collaboration in defence-related fields. Pakistan also expressed its commitment to working closely with Kuwait to ensure the effective implementation of all provisions outlined in the agreement. The Foreign Office stated that both countries would continue coordinating on the execution of the pact in accordance with its agreed terms. Officials emphasized that the growing defence partnership is based on mutual trust, shared interests, and long-standing institutional cooperation. The agreement is expected to further expand bilateral military relations while supporting broader strategic objectives for both nations. Beyond strengthening military cooperation, Pakistan believes the agreement will contribute positively to regional peace, security, and stability. The Foreign Office highlighted that enhanced defence collaboration between Islamabad and Kuwait City reflects a common desire to promote security cooperation and maintain constructive relations in the region. The bilateral defence cooperation agreement was originally signed in June 2023 as part of ongoing efforts to deepen strategic engagement between the two countries. Kuwait’s formal ratification now paves the way for the agreement’s full implementation, allowing both sides to advance cooperation through structured military exchanges, joint training initiatives, and institutional partnerships. The latest development underscores the enduring friendship between Pakistan and Kuwait and signals a renewed commitment to strengthening defence ties in support of shared security interests and regional stability. Both governments are expected to continue expanding cooperation in the years ahead through regular dialogue and practical defence collaboration.

  • |

    Gaza oxygen stations face shutdown

    At least 22 of Gaza’s 34 oxygen stations have stopped operating, the Palestinian Health Ministry said Saturday, warning that the remaining facilities could also shut down because of the Israeli blockade and a critical shortage of spare parts. The ministry said the 12 functioning stations are operating under severe technical and mechanical strain. Frequent breakdowns and a lack of maintenance have pushed the facilities beyond their normal capacity, making it increasingly difficult to supply oxygen to hospitals and other healthcare providers. Only four of the 30 machines used to refill oxygen cylinders remain operational, according to the ministry. It warned that these machines could fail at any time because engineering teams lack the parts and equipment needed for emergency repairs. The ministry stressed that oxygen supplies are essential for life-saving hospital departments and patients receiving treatment at home. It urged the immediate opening of channels to allow spare parts, technical equipment and new oxygen stations to enter Gaza. The warning follows a statement by Doctors Without Borders (MSF) on August 12, which said Israeli authorities continued to restrict the entry of engine oil and spare parts needed for hospital generators, ambulances and other critical services. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said in its latest report that Kerem Shalom remains the only operational crossing for goods entering Gaza, while restrictions remain on several essential supplies and types of equipment. The World Health Organisation, in data published on August 11 covering the period through July 31, also reported severe shortages of healthcare resources and services across Gaza’s medical facilities.

  • |

    Court summons former Lebanon Central Bank governor

    Lebanese judicial authorities have issued a court summons for former Central Bank governor Riad Salameh after he failed to appear at a scheduled hearing in a high-profile financial corruption case, marking another major development in one of the country’s most closely watched legal investigations. According to a judicial source, prosecutors ordered security forces to locate Salameh at his residence and escort him to Beirut’s Palace of Justice after he did not attend Thursday’s hearing. The case stems from a complaint filed by current Central Bank Governor Karim Soueid, who has accused his predecessor of embezzlement of institutional funds, illicit enrichment and money laundering. Salameh, 76, led Lebanon’s central bank from 1993 until July 2023, overseeing the country’s monetary policy for three decades. Once regarded as one of the Middle East’s most influential financial figures, he later became a central figure in the controversy surrounding Lebanon’s devastating financial collapse. The Central Bank has alleged that it was the victim of an embezzlement scheme involving several hundred million euros, claiming the funds were misappropriated by Salameh with assistance from individuals close to him. However, the former governor has repeatedly denied all allegations, insisting he has committed no wrongdoing. The first hearing in the case took place in June at Salameh’s home because of his reported health condition, where he was questioned by an investigating judge. On Thursday, former banking executive Samir Hanna appeared before the court in connection with the same investigation, while Salameh remained absent. The former governor has faced growing legal pressure both inside Lebanon and abroad. He was arrested in September 2024 over allegations that he embezzled $44 million from the institution he once headed. After spending a year in detention, he was released on bail exceeding $14 million, one of the largest ever imposed in Lebanon, but remains banned from leaving the country. International investigations have also intensified. French authorities issued an international arrest warrant for Salameh in 2023, while prosecutors in Paris continue examining allegations linked to cross-border financial transactions. In May this year, the Swiss subsidiary of British banking giant HSBC was formally indicted as investigators examined claims that it may have facilitated financial activities connected to the former governor. The latest court summons underscores Lebanon’s efforts to pursue accountability for the country’s prolonged financial crisis. As investigations continue at home and overseas, the case against Salameh remains one of the most significant legal battles tied to Lebanon’s economic collapse, with many citizens viewing it as a crucial test of the country’s commitment to transparency and judicial reform.

  • |

    New anti-Taliban group emerges in Afghanistan

      Armed resistance against the Taliban appears to be expanding in Afghanistan, with a new anti-Taliban group reportedly emerging in the northern province of Faryab. Sources say growing opposition to the Taliban’s style of governance, alleged ethnic discrimination and corruption has fueled resistance among sections of the Afghan population. Opposition has also increased over restrictions on education, employment and basic human rights, while the ongoing situation has contributed to a rise in Afghan migration toward Europe. According to sources, fighters affiliated with the newly formed Liberation Front carried out an attack against Taliban forces in Faryab province on Monday. The group is expected to formally announce its organisational structure, leadership and future activities within the next few days. The emergence of the new group comes as other anti-Taliban factions also signal plans to intensify their activities. General Sami Sadat, head of the Afghanistan United Front, and General Yasin Zia of the Afghanistan Freedom Front have both announced their intention to step up resistance against the Taliban. The developments indicate growing challenges for the Taliban as it continues to face opposition from armed groups as well as criticism over its policies on governance, human rights, education and employment.

  • |

    Dubai Airport introduces passport-free AI immigration system

    If you want to travel abroad, you usually need considerable time at the airport for passport checks, identity verification and other procedures. Imagine being able to board your flight without showing your passport, identity documents or ticket. It would save a lot of time. It may sound unbelievable but this has become possible at an airport in a Muslim country due to Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology. At Dubai Airport, AI technology helps passengers complete immigration procedures at high speed. The new system was first introduced in September 2025 for passengers boarding flights. However, now immigration procedures have also been made faster for passengers arriving from other countries at Dubai Airport. The new system uses AI, biometric cameras and flight data to complete the verification of passengers and their luggage within seconds. This technology allows up to 10 passengers to pass through border control simultaneously. Passengers walking through the red-carpeted Terminal 3 no longer need to show travel documents or stop for manual checks. They only need to complete registration before arriving at Dubai Airport so that their passport details and facial images can be identified. The system completes passenger clearance in just 3.4 seconds. According to Dubai Airports CEO Paul Griffiths, the airport has invested in camera technology allowing passengers to enter or leave the country without carrying a passport, passing through gate readers or facing difficulties during the process. He further stated that the new technology is currently being tested on first-class passengers and will gradually be made available to all passengers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *