ajk polling extended
| | |

AJK polling extended amid disruptions and security…

Polling in the first phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections was extended by one hour on Monday. Voting in Bhimber, Mirpur and Kotli continued until 6pm.

The extension was announced as several polling stations faced disruptions and complaints. Political parties also raised concerns about alleged interference and security issues during the voting process.

The first phase of the AJK elections covers all 13 constituencies of Mirpur Division. The division includes four seats in Mirpur, three in Bhimber and six in Kotli.

More than 1.4 million registered voters are eligible to cast their votes in the first phase. Election authorities established 2,454 polling stations and 3,701 polling booths across the division.

Around 22,000 election officials were assigned duties to manage the polling process. Security was also increased at polling stations across the region.

The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) raised several complaints during the day. PPP AJK Election Cell in-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor called on the Election Commission to take immediate notice of disruptions at polling stations.

Polling at Station 108 in LA-13 Kotli-VI was reportedly suspended for around two hours. Shakoor said the interruption was affecting voters and preventing them from exercising their right to vote.

He demanded that polling be restored immediately. He also called for an investigation into the reasons behind the suspension.

The PPP also alleged interference at several polling stations in LA-8 Raj Mahal and LA-12 Charhoi. The party claimed that some PML-N supporters were attempting to influence the polling process.

The allegations included the presence of armed individuals near some polling stations. The PPP demanded stronger security arrangements to protect voters, polling staff and election material.

Another serious incident was reported in LA-9 Nikyal. A PPP worker was killed during an incident that the party linked to alleged intimidation and the display of weapons.

PPP officials identified the deceased as 35-year-old Mukhtar Younus. The party demanded the immediate arrest of those responsible for the incident.

Shakoor alleged that weapons had been displayed in the area before polling day. He claimed that timely action by the authorities could have prevented the situation from worsening.

The PPP also accused the federal government of interfering in the AJK elections.

PPP Secretary General Nadeem Afzal Chan demanded that federal officials and government machinery remain neutral during the electoral process. He said political parties should be allowed to compete without outside interference.

Chan also raised concerns over alleged use of state resources during the election campaign. He called for development announcements and other government activities that could influence voters to be stopped during the election period.

The PPP has established an election monitoring cell in Islamabad. Senior party leaders are monitoring polling-related complaints through the cell.

The monitoring team is also maintaining contact with election officials, district administrations, candidates and party representatives. The PPP said the purpose of the cell was to monitor the election process and report any violations.

Meanwhile, the Election Commission took action against two presiding officers in Kotli.

The officials were accused of failing to report to their assigned polling stations. They allegedly went to a private residence instead.

An FIR was registered against both officials. They were arrested and later suspended from service.

Election authorities said strict action would be taken against officials who violate election rules. They also warned that negligence and irregularities in the polling process would not be tolerated.

Security remained a major focus during polling. Authorities declared 1,965 polling stations sensitive or highly sensitive.

More than 19,000 security personnel were deployed across Mirpur Division. The force included around 17,000 police personnel.

Around 2,100 Army personnel were also kept on standby. They could be deployed as a backup force if the security situation deteriorated.

Despite the complaints and isolated incidents, polling continued at most stations.

In LA-1 Dadyal, voting began in a peaceful atmosphere. Security arrangements were strengthened around all polling stations in the constituency.

More than 105,000 voters are registered in Dadyal. The constituency has 139 polling stations and 234 polling booths.

The first phase of the elections is being held under a revised schedule. Polling in Muzaffarabad Division and the 12 refugee constituencies is scheduled for August 2.

The final phase will be held in Poonch Division on August 10.

A total of 288 candidates are contesting the 13 seats in Mirpur Division. Election authorities have urged candidates, workers and voters to maintain peace and follow the electoral code of conduct.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Ryan Reynolds says he feels ‘so lucky’ after s…

    Ryan Reynolds is showing heartfelt appreciation for the fans who have supported his journey as Deadpool for the past decade. Following his surprise appearance at San Diego Comic-Con, the actor took to social media to express his gratitude, describing himself as “so lucky” to spend time with the passionate Marvel community ahead of the highly anticipated release of Avengers: Doomsday.  The 49-year-old actor made one of Comic-Con’s biggest surprises when he secretly roamed the convention floor dressed in a full Deadpool costume. Blending into the crowd without security or special treatment, Reynolds interacted with fans, admired elaborate cosplay, and experienced the event from the perspective of an ordinary attendee. Later, he joined Marvel Studios’ Hall H presentation, where his unexpected appearance sparked cheers from thousands of fans.  Shortly after the event, Reynolds shared a behind-the-scenes video on X, reflecting on how far the Deadpool franchise has come. “The fans got Deadpool off the ground so many years ago,” he wrote. Marking 10 years since the release of the first Deadpool film and two years since Deadpool & Wolverine, the actor added that he felt “so lucky” to be among fans “whose unapologetic devotion brings so much joy to this world.”  Reynolds also highlighted how meaningful the experience was because it allowed him to enjoy Comic-Con without barriers. “No handlers, no security, no ropes. WHAT A GIFT,” he wrote, thanking everyone he met throughout the day. He praised fans not only for dressing as their favorite characters but also for helping create the vibrant culture that has made Comic-Con one of the world’s biggest celebrations of pop culture.  His Hall H appearance added even more excitement to Marvel’s presentation for Avengers: Doomsday. Remaining in character as Deadpool, Reynolds delivered several humorous remarks and exchanged jokes with Robert Downey Jr., who is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Doctor Doom. While Marvel has yet to officially confirm the extent of Reynolds’ role in the upcoming blockbuster, his appearance immediately fueled speculation among fans.  The excitement surrounding Reynolds also comes as the actor has hinted that another Deadpool adventure is in development. Although he has not confirmed a release date or storyline, he recently revealed that he is actively working on ideas for the character’s future, keeping fans eager for what comes next.  With Avengers: Doomsday scheduled to arrive in theaters on December 18, 2026, Reynolds’ heartfelt message serves as a reminder that the success of Deadpool has always been driven by its loyal fanbase. As Marvel prepares for one of its biggest cinematic events, the actor’s gratitude has only strengthened the bond he shares with the millions of fans who continue to support the Merc with a Mouth. 

  • |

    Who is Epstein’s potential heir?

    Attention has shifted to Karyna Shuliak, the longtime girlfriend of convicted sex offender and disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein. The development comes years after Epstein died in a federal prison in 2019. His death brought an end to his criminal case but left behind a complicated estate and several legal disputes. Shuliak is now being described as a potential major beneficiary of Epstein’s remaining wealth. According to court documents, Epstein signed a new will just two days before his death. The document created a private trust known as the 1953 Trust. Recent court records reportedly show that Shuliak was included among the important beneficiaries of the trust. However, the exact amount she could receive remains uncertain. US Department of Justice records reportedly indicate that Shuliak was the last person Epstein spoke to outside prison before his death. Reports also say that Epstein made some of his final telephone calls to her while he was in custody. At the time of his death, Epstein’s estate was estimated to be worth around $600 million. A significant portion of that wealth has since been used to compensate people who accused Epstein of sexual abuse. More than $170 million was reportedly paid to over 200 victims through compensation arrangements. The estate has also faced several legal claims and settlements with government authorities. These matters have complicated the distribution of Epstein’s remaining assets. After a recent tax refund, the value of the estate’s remaining assets is estimated at between $120 million and $150 million. Despite being named as a potential beneficiary, Shuliak has not yet secured the inheritance. Payments connected to the trust remain suspended while legal proceedings continue. Richard Kahn, the executor of Epstein’s estate, has reportedly raised concerns about the wording of the trust agreement. He described the document as unclear and poorly prepared. The uncertainty has made it difficult to determine exactly how Epstein intended his remaining fortune to be divided. Legal experts say Shuliak’s potential inheritance cannot be confirmed until outstanding claims and court proceedings are resolved.

  • |

    Philadelphia man indicted on federal civil rights charges in anti-Islamic arson attack

    Federal prosecutors have indicted 60-year-old Vincent Lang of Philadelphia for deliberately setting fire to the Northeast Philadelphia Islamic Center. A federal grand jury charged Lang with one count of malicious damage by fire to a building used in interstate commerce and one count of damage to religious real property. The Department of Justice confirmed that the indictment explicitly alleges Lang carried out the arson because of the religious character of the building, specifically targeting it because it was a Muslim place of worship. According to court documents and surveillance footage, the perpetrator approached the mosque on Tyson Avenue during the early hours of 5 July, ignited an improvised incendiary device, and threw it into the entryway. Local authorities reported that no injuries occurred during the blaze. Lang has remained in federal custody following his initial arrest on 16 July. If convicted on the federal civil rights charges, he faces a mandatory minimum of five years in prison and up to a maximum penalty of 40 years.

  • New Lao River Water Station to Secure Clean Tap Water for Chiang Rai Residents

    CHIANG RAI — The Thai government is launching a major project to protect the long-term water safety of Chiang Rai residents. A brand-new water production station will be built to draw fresh water from the Lao River instead of the Kok River. Deputy Prime Minister Songsak Thongsri announced the plan during an official site visit […]

  • |

    Government adjusted petrol and diesel rates

    The federal government has announced the rate of petrol by Re0.94 per litre while raising high-speed diesel (HSD) by Re0.54 per litre. Under the newly adjusted tariffs, petrol will now sell at Rs324.98 per litre, whereas HSD will cost consumers Rs382.79 per litre. Despite these minor shifts, significant fiscal levies remain embedded in local pump prices, with taxes and duties standing at Rs114 per litre for petrol and Rs100 per litre for diesel. According to official directives issued by the Petroleum Division, the revised rates take effect immediately for August 13. This latest decision highlights a broader downward trend from the historic spikes observed earlier this year. Fuel prices experienced an unprecedented surge following the breakout of the US-Iran conflict in late February. HSD, which traded around Rs281 per litre before the geopolitical crisis, climbed sharply to reach an all-time peak of Rs520.35 on April 3 before gradually retreating. Similarly, petrol prices escalated from Rs266 in early March to a maximum height of Rs458.41 on the same April date before cooling down to present levels. In a structural shift to handle ongoing market volatility, Petroleum Minister Ali Pervaiz Malik revealed that fuel pricing will transition to a daily adjustment mechanism. While the government had temporarily relied on weekly pricing revisions and targeted subsidy schemes since March to buffer against Middle Eastern supply disruptions, authority over price setting has now been formally handed over to the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA). Under the approval of the Prime Minister and the federal cabinet, OGRA will directly track daily international market fluctuations to determine local retail costs. However, this policy pivot has met swift pushback from commercial stakeholders. The All Pakistan Dealers Association strongly rejected the transition to daily rate changes, warning that the organization is formulating a formal protest strategy to oppose the decision.   The economic stakes of these pricing shifts remain high across every level of society. Petrol costs directly influence everyday commuters, small vehicle operators, rickshaw drivers, and motorcycle owners, placing immediate financial pressure on middle- and lower-income households when rates rise. On the other hand, diesel price movements carry a broader inflationary impact, as HSD powers heavy transport fleets, agricultural machinery, power generation plants, and industrial backup generators. Together, petrol and diesel form the bedrock of the national energy supply and state revenue, generating massive combined monthly sales of 700,000 to 800,000 tonnes, compared to a meager 10,000 tonnes of monthly demand for kerosene. Daily adjustments will now determine how these vital economic drivers impact consumers nationwide.

  • | |

    Ride-hailing driver reveals final journey of Waffl…

      The ride-hailing driver who transported Wafflix owner Mir Raza Ali shortly before his death has shared details of the young man’s final journey, describing how Ali personally guided him through several roads in Karachi before being dropped outside a bank in Gulistan-e-Johar. Ali, 25, was allegedly abducted from the PECHS area before his body was discovered in bushes near a wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Johar. Police initially suspected that he may have been tortured before being shot. The circumstances surrounding his death remained unclear for some time, including speculation over whether he had been murdered or had died by suicide. However, a second post-mortem reportedly strengthened his family’s claim that Ali had been killed. In a video statement released on Wednesday, the driver, Ehsanullah, recalled accepting Ali’s ride during the early hours of the morning. He said the booking came through at around 3:57am. After accepting it, he reached the pickup location at approximately 4:06am and called Ali a minute later to inform him that he had arrived. According to the driver, Ali asked him to wait for a couple of minutes before coming outside. Ehsanullah said Ali arrived around 4:09am, after which the journey began. The driver said they initially left the street and headed towards Khalid bin Waleed Road. He recalled that when he was about to take a turn, Ali stopped him and instructed him to use another route towards a one-way road leading towards Imtiaz and Tariq Road. During the journey, Ali reportedly asked whether the vehicle had Bluetooth or a speaker. After connecting his mobile phone, he played music while continuing to guide the driver. Ehsanullah said he relied on the navigation system while also following Ali’s instructions. The route reportedly took them from Tariq Road to Bahadurabad and then towards Aga Khan Hospital, Stadium Road, Millennium Wall and Perfume Chowk. They subsequently travelled through Johar Mor, Mosamiyat and Samama before reaching Continental Bakery. The driver said Ali then directed him to take another turn and continue ahead before eventually asking him to stop. Ehsanullah said he dropped Ali outside a bank and then left the area. Meanwhile, Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho acknowledged shortcomings in the investigation into Ali’s death. Speaking at a ceremony at the Sindh Bar Council, he said the case was being reassessed following a new medico-legal report. Odho described Ali’s death as tragic and said a new investigation team had been instructed to conduct a transparent and independent inquiry. He acknowledged that there had been lapses, particularly concerning the medico-legal process, and said the shortcomings would be addressed. Ali’s body was discovered on July 29 with a gunshot wound. Investigators later recovered a .30-bore pistol casing from the crime scene on August 6, although the firearm itself had not been found. Following concerns raised by Ali’s family and evidence suggesting he had been shot from behind, the previous investigation team was dissolved. A new team, headed by DIG Investigation and Crime Amir Farooqi, was formed. The family’s lawyer, Jibran Nasir, had previously called for an impartial investigation and alleged that the family had been pressured to accept a suicide explanation. A judicial magistrate in Karachi’s East district has also directed police to submit a progress report in the case by August 15 as the renewed investigation continues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *