army troops deployed
| |

Army troops deployed in Rawalpindi for six months

The federal government has approved the deployment of three companies of the Pakistan Army in Rawalpindi.

The troops will perform sensitive security duties in the city. The deployment will remain in place for six months.

The decision was taken after a request from the Punjab Home Department. The Interior Ministry issued the deployment order on August 21.

The order said the army personnel would help prevent any undesirable situation. They will also assist the civil administration in dealing with any unexpected security challenge.

The deployment has been authorised under Article 245 of the Constitution. The provision allows the armed forces to assist the civil administration when required.

The troops will perform their duties according to the requirements of the district administration. Their presence is intended to strengthen security arrangements and improve the authorities’ ability to respond to emergencies.

The government has given the deployment immediate effect. The three army companies can therefore begin their assigned security responsibilities without delay.

The order did not provide details about the exact locations where the troops will be stationed. It also did not specify particular operations or threats that prompted the deployment.

The decision places additional security resources at the disposal of the Rawalpindi administration. Civil authorities can seek the assistance of the deployed personnel when required during the six-month period.

The deployment is part of the government’s broader security arrangements. The use of military personnel under Article 245 is intended to support civilian authorities while they carry out their responsibilities.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    FBR collects record Rs44bn income tax from salarie…

    ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) collected Rs44 billion in income tax from the salaried class during July, the first month of the current financial year. The collection was higher than the amount collected from salaried individuals during the same month in the previous two years. FBR had collected Rs42 billion from the salaried class in July 2025 and Rs30 billion in July 2024. According to sources, the higher collection from salaried individuals came despite an overall decline in income tax collection in some sectors. The figures indicate that the salaried class continued to contribute a significant share of income tax revenue at the beginning of the new financial year. Sources said property buying and selling transactions increased during July this year. However, tax collection from property transactions remained lower compared with the corresponding period last year. The development comes after the government introduced changes to income tax rates for several salaried income brackets in the federal budget for the current financial year. The government reduced tax rates on annual incomes above Rs2.2 million as part of its budget measures. Under the revised tax structure, the income tax rate for individuals earning between Rs2.2 million and Rs3.2 million annually was reduced from 23 per cent to 20 per cent. Similarly, the tax rate for the annual income bracket of Rs3.2 million to Rs4.1 million was reduced from 30 per cent to 25 per cent. For individuals earning between Rs4.1 million and Rs5.6 million annually, the income tax rate was reduced from 35 per cent to 29 per cent. The tax rate for people earning between Rs5.6 million and Rs7 million annually was also reduced from 35 per cent to 32 per cent. Despite these reductions in tax rates, FBR’s collection from salaried individuals increased in July compared with the previous two years. The figures show that the tax contribution from the salaried class remained strong despite changes in the tax slabs.

  • |

    Demi Lovato gets nostalgic as ‘Camp Rock 3’ nears release

    Demi Lovato is taking a nostalgic trip back to where her career first began. Her tribute comes just days before “Camp Rock 3” premieres on August 13. The 33-year-old singer and actress famously played Mitchie in both “Camp Rock” and its sequel, “Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam.” On August 10, she took to Instagram to share a heartfelt post about the franchise. Lovato shared a mix of movie stills and behind-the-scenes photos from her time on the original films. She captioned the post simply, expressing that Mitchie will always hold a special place in her heart. Fans quickly flooded the comments section, sharing their own emotional reactions to the throwback. Many expressed how much the character and franchise meant to them growing up. One user wrote that Mitchie Torres would always remain a beloved character to them. Another said “Camp Rock” holds an irreplaceable spot in their heart, while a third called the photo a perfect snapshot of their childhood. This nostalgic post follows Lovato’s earlier confirmation that she will officially be reprising her role as Mitchie in the upcoming third film. She made the announcement on X, sharing a personal photo alongside the caption. In her message, Lovato playfully asked fans if they’d missed her, signing off in character as Mitchie herself. The announcement generated immediate excitement among longtime fans of the franchise. Her return marks a major milestone, arriving 18 years after the original “Camp Rock” first introduced her to audiences back in 2008. That film played a key role in launching her career as both an actress and singer. Lovato will not be returning alone either. She’ll be joined once again by the Jonas Brothers, who are reprising their roles as the band Connect 3. Joe Jonas returns as Shane Gray, Nick Jonas as Nate Gray, and Kevin Jonas as Jason Gray. Beyond acting, the brothers are also serving as executive producers on the new film, adding another layer of involvement to the long-awaited reunion.

  • | | |

    Pakistan unveils major construction reforms to boo…

    ISLAMABAD: The federal government is preparing a wide-ranging reform package aimed at revitalising Pakistan’s construction industry, improving regulatory oversight and attracting greater investment in modern infrastructure. The proposed measures include the establishment of a Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB), consideration of a specialised Construction Development Bank (CDB), targeted tax reforms and changes to import and export policies. The proposals were discussed during a high-level meeting chaired by Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Establishment Division Senator Ahad Khan Cheema. The meeting brought together senior government officials, representatives of the Construction Association of Pakistan and other stakeholders to examine the sector’s financial, regulatory and operational challenges. Under the proposed framework, the CIDB would promote the development of the construction industry while also regulating contractors, consultants and industry standards. The body would include representatives from both the public and private sectors and would seek to establish more consistent construction standards across the country. Senator Cheema said the government and the Construction Association of Pakistan were in agreement over the need for a dedicated regulatory and development body. The proposed framework will be presented to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for approval. The government also plans to introduce targeted tax incentives and rationalise import and export policies to encourage the use of modern construction technologies and strengthen local production capacity. In a significant move to improve the quality and durability of public infrastructure, the standard Defect Liability Period for public development projects is expected to increase from one year to three years, with a longer-term plan to extend it to five years. The proposed reforms would also increase accountability for consultants. Unlike contractors, who can face penalties for poor performance, consultants currently have limited direct legal accountability. Under the new framework, consultants could be subjected to regulatory oversight and held financially and legally responsible for design defects and technical errors. The government is also examining the construction industry’s difficulties in obtaining financial and performance guarantees. Senator Cheema directed Minister of State for Finance Bilal Azhar Kayani to consult the State Bank of Pakistan and Pakistan Banks Association on these issues and assess the feasibility of establishing a dedicated Construction Development Bank. The government says the reforms are intended to ensure that public infrastructure projects deliver better value for money, remain durable and meet higher technical standards. Officials believe stronger regulation and accountability could reduce disputes, improve construction quality and bring Pakistan’s industry closer to international standards.

  • | |

    Fuego volcano forces evacuations in Guatemala as l…

    Guatemalan authorities have ordered residents in at least two villages to evacuate after the Fuego volcano erupted, sending lava and ash shooting into the air. Fuego, regarded as one of the most active volcanoes in the Western Hemisphere, began erupting on Monday. The country’s volcanic monitoring agency reported that pyroclastic flows, fast moving currents made up of hot gas, volcanic ash and rock fragments, continued rushing down the volcano’s south eastern slope into early Tuesday. Guatemala’s disaster management agency, known as Conred, raised a nationwide orange alert, the second highest level on its warning scale, and cautioned residents to remain prepared as further eruptions could generate additional pyroclastic flows and large ash clouds. The agency advised people living nearby to keep their doors and windows shut, and officials canceled classes at schools located close to the volcano. Fuego sits roughly 16 kilometers, or about 10 miles, west of Antigua, a city that draws large numbers of tourists each year for its well preserved colonial era architecture and status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The volcano itself has also become a popular destination for hikers in recent years, drawing visitors who trek its slopes for views of the surrounding region. Conred urged both tourists and local residents to avoid approaching the volcano or lingering in areas considered at risk, particularly along its slopes, as the situation continues to develop. The eruption has revived memories of a far deadlier event in 2018, when a sudden eruption of Fuego killed more than 200 people. Many of the victims were overtaken by fast moving pyroclastic flows that swept down the Las Lajas ravine with little warning, a disaster that remains one of the deadliest volcanic events in the country’s recent history. Fuego’s frequent activity has long made it one of Central America’s most closely monitored volcanoes, with authorities maintaining routine surveillance given its proximity to populated areas and popular tourist destinations.

  • |

    Indian activists challenge AI-powered police surveillance following student demonstrations

    Indian digital rights activists and student leaders are challenging Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government in the Delhi High Court over the deployment of artificial intelligence-powered mass surveillance during recent youth protests in New Delhi. Student activist Aishe Ghosh filed a petition with the Delhi High Court seeking to declare the police’s mass surveillance of demonstrators unconstitutional. The lawsuit requests the immediate destruction of all personal and biometric data collected during the demonstrations and asks the court to establish clear binding guidelines governing the use of surveillance technologies at public gatherings. The controversy intensified after photographs circulated showing a mobile police surveillance unit, branded “Ikshana” and developed alongside security firm CP Plus, deployed at the main protest site. The vehicle featured telescopic masts providing 360-degree coverage, AI-powered cameras, and real-time facial recognition capabilities that displayed face accuracy metrics to match attendees against law enforcement databases. Furthermore, police officers were documented recording the social media handles of arriving participants. Digital rights organisations, including the Internet Freedom Foundation, have formally requested the Delhi Police Commissioner to delete all biometric data gathered during the events. Advocates emphasise that India currently lacks a dedicated legal framework governing police deployment of facial recognition systems, making such intrusive measures disproportionate and illegal. During court proceedings, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta defended law enforcement actions, arguing that expectations of privacy at a public gathering were misplaced and asserting that the security measures were absolutely necessary in the interest of public order. Delhi Police maintained that the technology was used solely to identify individuals with criminal histories and count crowd size without restricting freedoms. The court challenge continues despite the end of the student demonstrations, which were triggered by widespread examination paper leaks in national competitive tests. The protests culminated in the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and the announcement of a government panel tasked with overhauling the national examination system.

  • |

    Shah Rukh Khan’s King set for major box office clash in December

    Shah Rukh Khan’s upcoming action thriller King is gearing up for one of the biggest box office battles of the year as its scheduled December release places it alongside several highly anticipated Hollywood blockbusters. Directed by Siddharth Anand, King is set to arrive in cinemas on December 24, a date that will also see the release of major international films including Avengers: Doomsday, Dune 3, and Jumanji: Open World. The crowded release window is expected to create intense competition both in India and overseas, making it one of the most closely watched clashes of the holiday season. Among the Hollywood titles, Avengers: Doomsday is widely expected to be the strongest rival. The Marvel franchise has built an enormous fan base in India over the years, with several of its previous films enjoying record-breaking openings and impressive box office collections. Its popularity could present a significant challenge for King, particularly when it comes to attracting audiences during the festive period. The competition is expected to be even tougher in international markets. With three major Hollywood franchises arriving simultaneously, exhibitors may face difficult decisions regarding screen allocation and show timings. Large-scale global releases often dominate multiplex schedules, leaving less room for other films, even those led by major stars. Despite these challenges, the makers of King have shown confidence in the film’s potential and have reportedly decided to stick with the planned release date. Rather than avoiding the clash, the production team appears determined to let the film compete head-to-head with some of the biggest releases of the year. Industry observers believe that only a project of King’s scale, backed by Shah Rukh Khan’s global popularity, has the ability to stand alongside such powerful Hollywood franchises. The actor remains one of India’s biggest box office draws, and expectations surrounding the film have continued to grow since its announcement. Adding to the excitement is the fact that King will mark the first full-fledged on-screen collaboration between Shah Rukh Khan and his daughter, Suhana Khan. Fans are eager to see the father-daughter duo share screen space in what is expected to be a high-octane action entertainer. The film also boasts an impressive ensemble cast featuring Deepika Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Raghav Juyal, and Rani Mukerji in key roles, further raising anticipation among moviegoers. International distribution is being handled by Yash Raj Films, whose extensive global network and experience in releasing Indian films overseas could help maximize the film’s reach. Their expertise is expected to play an important role in securing favorable screens and show schedules across key international territories. As the countdown to December begins, King is shaping up to be one of the most talked-about releases of the year. Whether it can hold its own against three major Hollywood franchises remains to be seen, but the film’s star power, large-scale production, and strong cast have positioned it as a formidable contender in what promises to be an exciting holiday box office showdown.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *