bangkok pub fire

Bangkok pub fire death toll rises to 41

BANGKOK, Thailand – The death toll from the devastating Ladprao pub fire that tore through the Rong Beer Na Ladprao venue in Bangkok’s Chatuchak district on July 12 has risen to 41, with two more victims succumbing to their injuries, according to the Erawan Centre, the medical service centre of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The centre reported that one of the victims died at Rajavithi Hospital and the other at Taksin Hospital, though no further details were available at the time of the report, while 10 other injured victims remain hospitalised, including four in intensive care.

Lat Phrao Pub Fire Death Toll Rises to 38

The fire initially claimed 27 lives and left dozens injured when it swept through the popular nightspot in the Ladprao area, becoming one of the deadliest pub fires in recent Thai history. The tragedy has prompted widespread calls for stricter enforcement of fire safety regulations and more rigorous inspections of entertainment venues across the country, as authorities continue to investigate the cause of the blaze.

The rising death toll has deepened the grief of families and communities affected by the disaster, with survivors and relatives of the deceased demanding accountability and stronger safety measures to prevent similar tragedies in the future. Government agencies have pledged to expedite compensation for victims’ families and to review existing safety protocols for nightlife establishments, though concerns remain over the pace and thoroughness of enforcement efforts. The Ladprao pub fire stands as a stark reminder of the devastating consequences of inadequate fire safety in crowded public spaces.

-Thailand News (TN)

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Israeli court halts Ben-Gvir plan to place crocodi…

    An Israeli court has temporarily blocked National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir’s plan to install crocodiles around Ketziot Prison in southern Israel’s Negev desert, where Palestinian detainees from Gaza are being held, according to Israeli media reports on Monday. Israeli authorities had already begun digging trenches around the section of the prison holding Palestinians detained from Gaza over alleged involvement in the events of October 7, 2023. Under the plan championed by Ben-Gvir, crocodiles would be placed inside these trenches as a security measure. Israel’s public broadcaster reported that the Jerusalem District Court issued a temporary injunction on Sunday evening after the animal rights group Let the Animals Live filed a legal petition challenging the plan, which has the backing of the National Security Ministry and the Israel Prison Service. Judge Avraham Rubin ordered authorities to halt any action based on a decision by Environmental Protection Minister Idit Silman to classify crocodiles as tended wild animals, a legal designation that would have permitted their transfer to and use at the prison facility. According to the broadcaster, the ruling followed an administrative petition the organization filed against Silman, Ben-Gvir and the Israel Prison Service just hours earlier. The temporary order will stay in place until authorities file their formal response, which the court expects by mid August. The dispute centers on a decision Silman made on July 15 that was designed to allow crocodiles to serve as what officials described as a deterrent and security measure inside prisons. The petition filed against the plan argues that the decision effectively strips crocodiles of protections normally applied to wild animals by removing the licensing and oversight mechanisms that would otherwise govern their care and control. Let the Animals Live told the broadcaster that the Israel Prison Service had already started infrastructure work, including digging a canal around the prison, and said the National Security Ministry had set aside 21 million shekels, or roughly 6.9 million dollars, to fund the pilot project. The group said the decision was made without adequate legal authority and disregarded expert and legal warnings about risks to the animals themselves, to the public and to the surrounding environment. Officials have not yet submitted the government’s formal position to the court, though a response is expected as part of the proceedings tied to the injunction request. Representatives from Let the Animals Live and the Environmental Justice and Animal Rights Clinic at Tel Aviv University said the court’s order prevents irreversible construction work from moving forward for now and protects the animals’ welfare while they continue pursuing a permanent cancellation of the plan. Since taking office in late 2022, Ben-Gvir has overseen a broader tightening of detention conditions for Palestinian prisoners, including measures involving food deprivation, denial of medical care, mistreatment and prolonged isolation. Palestinian and Israeli human rights organizations report that approximately 9,500 Palestinian prisoners, including women and children, are currently held in Israeli facilities under harsh conditions, with dozens reported to have died as a result of starvation, mistreatment and medical neglect.

  • Authorities Track Down Blaze Setters After Field Fires Smother Bangkok in Haze

    NAKHON NAYOK – Authorities are searching for those responsible for illegally setting fire to rice fields in central Thailand, after a blaze burned over 10,000 rai (4,000 acres) and sent a thick plume of toxic smoke toward Bangkok and neighboring provinces. Pollution Control Department introduces management of burning via Burn Check app The fire broke […]

  • | |

    Hassan Nisar receives KP Youth Excellence Award

    PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has presented the Youth Excellence Award to Hassan Nisar, founder of Metrix Pakistan, for his efforts to promote youth development, education and skills across the province. Adviser to the Chief Minister on Sports and Youth Affairs Taj Muhammad Tarand presented the award during a ceremony at Sahibzada Abdul Qayum Hall, University of Peshawar, held to mark International Youth Day. The Directorate of Youth Affairs organised the event, which brought together government officials, students, entrepreneurs and youth representatives. Hassan Nisar, who hails from Khanpur, Haripur, founded Metrix Pakistan in 2022. Since then, the organisation has arranged workshops, training sessions and educational programmes for young people in various parts of KP, particularly underserved communities. Its initiatives cover digital marketing, artificial intelligence, blockchain, entrepreneurship and other technology-related fields, helping thousands of young people gain practical skills and knowledge. Much of the organisation’s work focuses on areas outside major cities, where young people often have limited access to education, technology and professional opportunities. Speaking at the ceremony, Taj Muhammad Tarand praised Hassan Nisar’s efforts to empower young people and contribute to the province’s development. Secretary Sports and Youth Affairs Muhammad Asif and Director Youth Affairs Abbas Khan Afridi also recognised his contributions. Hassan Nisar said the award encouraged him and his team to continue expanding educational and skills-development opportunities for young people, especially those from underserved communities.

  • Thai Army Accuses Cambodia of Using Ancient Temple as Military Base

    SURIN – The Thai army has accused Cambodian forces of using a historic border temple as a military base to launch operations against Thailand, in what it says is a violation of international law. The Second Army Region, responsible for security along the Cambodian border, stated that Cambodian troops equipped with heavy weapons have been […]

  • | |

    Afghan man married to Pakistani woman granted bail…

    The Supreme Court of Pakistan has granted bail to an Afghan national, who is married to a Pakistani woman, against surety bonds worth Rs20,000 in a case registered under the Foreign Act. During the hearing, the government lawyer informed the court that the accused had been arrested under the Foreign Act. He argued that the man did not possess a marriage certificate proving his marriage to the Pakistani woman at the time of his arrest. The prosecution further stated that the marriage certificate was obtained in 2024, although the accused claimed to have married in 1993. The lawyer also told the court that the man had no documentary evidence of his entry into Pakistan and was not carrying an Afghan passport. Justice Hashim Kakar questioned the prosecution’s arguments, observing that in many rural areas marriages are conducted without immediately registering a formal marriage certificate. The defence counsel told the court that the couple had married in 1993 and only later obtained official documentation. Justice Kakar also noted that two high courts had already directed authorities to issue the man a domicile, adding that the government itself had allowed Afghan nationals to enter Pakistan in the past. He remarked that they had even been provided ration support. The judge further questioned the prosecution, asking what additional proof of marriage was required when the couple had two children together. He also asked how the authorities had concluded that the accused was an Afghan citizen if he allegedly had no identification or official documents. After hearing the arguments from both sides, the Supreme Court approved the Afghan national’s bail, subject to the submission of surety bonds worth Rs20,000.

  • | |

    LHC Judge appointments spark Rawalpindi lawyers’…

    Rawalpindi: A dispute has erupted among lawyers’ groups in Rawalpindi over recent appointments and nominations of judges to the Lahore High Court, with some bar organisations raising questions over the representation of Rawalpindi Division and demanding a review of the process. The controversy intensified after the Peoples Lawyers Forum Rawalpindi Division called the proposed nominations unacceptable and demanded that the Judicial Commission examine the reasons behind the selections and the rejection of other candidates. The forum questioned why no candidate from Rawalpindi Division was included in the nominations and demanded details about the criteria used for selecting nominees. Meanwhile, the High Court Bar Association Rawalpindi and District Bar Association Rawalpindi also expressed concern over what they described as the continued lack of representation of Rawalpindi Division in Lahore High Court appointments. The District Bar Association Rawalpindi stated that ignoring the region’s experienced lawyers raised concerns about merit, transparency and regional balance. The association said Rawalpindi Division has a large legal community consisting of seven district bars and fourteen tehsil bars, producing many renowned lawyers, judges and legal professionals who have contributed to Pakistan’s judicial system. According to the association, no member of the Rawalpindi Division bar has been confirmed as a Lahore High Court judge since 2017, despite several capable lawyers and additional judges from the region having served with distinction. The High Court Bar Association Rawalpindi described the continued absence of representation as a matter requiring attention and said consultations would be held with district and tehsil bars to decide future steps. The Peoples Lawyers Forum also called on President Asif Ali Zardari and Peoples Lawyers Forum President Nayyar Hussain Bukhari to take notice of the situation. The forum requested that the notification process should be reviewed and that the Judicial Commission should provide details about the nominated candidates, their qualifications, selection reasons and the reasons why other candidates were not considered. The lawyers’ group demanded that if the process was found inconsistent with rules or principles of fairness, recommendations should be reconsidered and a fresh merit based review should be conducted. However, the dispute remains focused on questions of representation and transparency rather than any confirmed wrongdoing. The final decision regarding judicial appointments rests with the relevant constitutional authorities and judicial forums. The issue has now placed attention on the balance between merit based appointments and regional representation in the higher judiciary. Lawyers’ organisations have called for a transparent mechanism that ensures qualified candidates from all regions receive equal consideration while maintaining the independence and quality of the judicial system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *