ebola outbreak becomes
| |

Ebola outbreak becomes Congo’s deadliest, death …

KINSHASA: The Democratic Republic of Congo is facing its deadliest Ebola outbreak on record, with the death toll reaching 2,325 and confirmed infections climbing to 4,945, according to the latest government figures.

The outbreak, declared on May 15, has now surpassed the 2,299 deaths recorded during Congo’s previous worst Ebola epidemic from 2018 to 2020. Health authorities also reported 101 new confirmed cases in a single day, highlighting the rapid spread of the disease.

The current outbreak is the country’s 17th and has already become its largest in terms of confirmed cases. Only the devastating West African Ebola epidemic of 2014–2016, which killed more than 11,000 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, has recorded a higher overall toll.

Health officials say the outbreak is being driven by major challenges, including weak healthcare infrastructure, insecurity and resistance within some communities. Delays in detecting infections and getting patients into medical care are also contributing to the high death rate.

The case fatality ratio has climbed sharply to 46%, compared with around 20% in early June. Public health experts caution that the increase does not necessarily mean the virus has become more deadly. Instead, they say many patients are being identified only after their condition has severely deteriorated or after death.

The outbreak is being caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments. Researchers are assessing experimental vaccines and therapies, but available evidence remains limited.

Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected people, including those who have died from the disease. Symptoms can include fever, vomiting and diarrhoea, while severe infections may lead to internal or external bleeding.

The outbreak also crossed into neighbouring Uganda, where authorities confirmed 20 cases and two deaths before declaring the outbreak over last month.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Zimbabwe ferry disaster death toll climbs to 68

    HARARE: The death toll from a ferry disaster on Zimbabwe’s Lake Kariba has risen to 68 after rescuers recovered 22 more bodies, police said on Saturday. The ferry, operated by the government’s Rural Infrastructure Development Agency, overturned on Tuesday while travelling through rough waters. The vessel was carrying villagers and fish traders who rely on the lake for their livelihoods. Authorities said the boat was licensed to carry 90 passengers but had 114 adults and five crew members on board, along with an unknown number of children. The overcrowding has raised concerns about safety standards as the search for the remaining victims continues. Lake Kariba lies along Zimbabwe’s border with Zambia and is a vital source of transport and trade for communities living around the lake.

  • |

    Kendall Jenner joins Jacob Elordi for dreamy Hawaii getaway

    Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi are once again enjoying a getaway away from the spotlight, this time at a remote beach in Hawaii. The pair have been travelling together throughout the summer. Taking to her Instagram Stories on Friday, August 14, Jenner shared a short video clip from what appeared to be Honopū Beach. The secluded spot sits along the rugged Nā Pali Coast of Kauaʻi. The captionless clip gave fans a glimpse of the pristine shoreline, framed beneath towering 1,200-foot basalt cliffs often referred to as the “Valley of the Lost Souls.” Interestingly, Jenner posted her video around the same time her sister, Kylie Jenner, shared her own photos from the same location. Kylie had recently celebrated her 29th birthday with a Princess Kitty-themed party, and her post seemed to hint at a joint getaway involving her boyfriend Timothée Chalamet, Kendall and Elordi. Popular gossip account Deuxmoi later added further detail, claiming Kendall and Elordi were spotted in Hawaii, with Elordi reportedly annoyed after someone tried photographing them. The account also suggested Kylie and Chalamet were seen at the same breakfast spot. The trip comes just days after Jenner shared a deeply personal literary post referencing a classic Frank O’Hara poem, dedicated to expressing love and longing. She shared it without further comment, leaving fans to interpret the sentiment behind the gesture. Jenner and Elordi first sparked dating rumours back in April, after being spotted together at Coachella 2026. Since then, the pair have been linked to several low-key getaways throughout the summer, fuelling ongoing speculation about the seriousness of their relationship. With both Kardashian-Jenner sisters seemingly vacationing at the same Hawaiian location alongside their respective partners, fans have been quick to piece together the overlapping timeline from social media clues. Neither Jenner nor Elordi has publicly confirmed additional details about the trip, keeping much of their relationship largely private despite the growing public interest.

  • |

    Jasprit Bumrah ruled out of Sri Lanka Tests

    NEW DELHI: India have been dealt a significant setback ahead of their two-match Test series against Sri Lanka after star fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah was ruled out with a knee injury, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed on Monday. Bumrah, widely regarded as India’s pace spearhead, has not fully recovered from the left knee injury he sustained during the One-Day International series against England last month. In a statement, the BCCI said the 32-year-old remains unavailable for selection as he continues his rehabilitation. Bumrah has not bowled competitively since the second ODI against England in Cardiff on July 16, where he suffered the injury.   His absence is a major setback for India, particularly with the challenging conditions expected in Sri Lanka, where Bumrah’s experience and ability to strike with the new ball have often made the difference in Test matches.   Replacing him in the 15-member squad is promising fast bowler Aquib Nabi, who receives his maiden senior international call-up after an impressive run in domestic cricket. The 29-year-old pacer from Jammu and Kashmir has emerged as one of India’s brightest bowling prospects, claiming 104 wickets across the last two Ranji Trophy seasons. He also impressed during India A’s recent tour of Sri Lanka, taking six wickets in two first-class matches, performances that earned him a place in the senior squad. India, led by Shubman Gill, will play a warm-up match before the opening Test begins in Galle on August 15. The second and final Test is scheduled to be played in Colombo from August 23 to 27. The series now presents a golden opportunity for Nabi to showcase his talent on the international stage, while India will hope their emerging pace attack can compensate for the absence of one of the world’s premier fast bowlers. With Bumrah sidelined and a new face joining the squad, all eyes will be on India’s bowling unit as the visitors aim to begin their Sri Lanka campaign on a winning note. India squad Shubman Gill (capt), KL Rahul (vice-captain), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Rishabh Pant (wk), Sai Sudharsan*, Dhruv Jurel (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Manav Suthar, Mohammed Siraj, Prasidh Krishna, Gurnoor Brar, Devdutt Padikkal, Saransh Jain, Auqib Nabi.

  • | |

    Islamabad High Court extends stay on 50% additiona…

      The Islamabad High Court (IHC) has extended its earlier interim order preventing the collection of an additional 50 percent toll tax from vehicles that do not have an M-Tag installed. The relief will remain in effect until the next hearing of the case, providing temporary protection to motorists while the legal proceedings continue. During the hearing, the National Highway Authority (NHA) submitted its written response before the court, outlining its position regarding the policy of imposing an additional toll charge on vehicles that are not registered under the M-Tag system. The response is expected to form the basis of further arguments in the case. The petitioner’s counsel requested additional time to carefully review the written reply submitted by the NHA before presenting a detailed response. Accepting the request, the court adjourned the proceedings to a later date, allowing both parties sufficient time to prepare their arguments. While postponing the hearing, the Islamabad High Court announced that its previous order would continue to remain in force until the next hearing. As a result, authorities have been restrained from collecting the additional 50 percent toll tax from vehicles that either do not have an M-Tag installed or have insufficient balance in their M-Tag accounts. The interim relief means that motorists falling into these categories cannot be charged the extra amount until the court issues further directions. However, the regular toll charges applicable under existing rules may still be collected. The dispute centers on the National Highway Authority’s policy requiring motorists to register their vehicles with the M-Tag electronic toll collection system. Under the authority’s regulations, vehicles that are not registered with M-Tag are subject to a 50 percent higher toll fee when using motorways and designated highways. Similarly, vehicles with an M-Tag account that does not have sufficient balance may also be charged the additional amount under the same policy. The NHA introduced the M-Tag system to modernize toll collection, reduce congestion at toll plazas, promote cashless payments, and improve the efficiency of traffic management on Pakistan’s motorway network. The electronic system enables vehicles to pass through toll plazas more quickly, minimizing delays and reducing manual cash transactions. Despite these objectives, the policy of imposing an additional 50 percent toll charge has faced criticism from some motorists and legal experts. Opponents argue that the surcharge is excessive and places an unnecessary financial burden on drivers, particularly those who have not yet registered for the M-Tag system or encounter technical issues with their accounts. They also contend that such a financial penalty should have a clear legal basis and should not be enforced without proper safeguards. The NHA’s decision has therefore been challenged before the Islamabad High Court, where the petitioner seeks to have the additional toll charge declared unlawful. The court will examine the legal validity of the policy after considering the arguments of both parties, including the authority’s written response and the petitioner’s objections. Until the next hearing, the High Court’s interim order will continue to provide temporary relief to affected motorists by preventing the collection of the disputed 50 percent additional toll tax. The outcome of the case is expected to determine whether the National Highway Authority can lawfully enforce the surcharge in the future or whether changes to the policy will be required.

  • | |

    Cardi B opens up about needing time away from musi…

    Cardi B is making it clear that pressure from fans will not make her work harder. Instead, the rapper says constant complaints about her music are pushing her toward taking a much-needed break. During an X Spaces conversation on Tuesday, August 11, Cardi addressed fans who have criticized her release schedule and questioned why some of her songs receive music videos and more promotion than others. Rather than motivating her to return to the studio, the criticism appears to be making her want to step away. (People.com⁠) Cardi explained that complaints have the opposite effect on her. She made it clear that she does not respond to pressure by immediately creating more music. Instead, she would rather take a step back and enjoy her personal time. The rapper also pushed back against expectations that every song should receive the same promotional treatment. According to Cardi, different songs can have different aesthetics, visuals and promotional plans. She does not feel obligated to give every release an identical rollout simply because fans want more content. Cardi also admitted that she has not been spending much time in the studio recently. The decision is intentional. She said she had already planned to take the summer off and wants to enjoy her life rather than allow outside expectations to control her schedule. (People.com⁠) For Cardi, spending time with her family is also part of the break. She said that when fans are complaining, her instinct is to stay in bed and spend time with her children instead of rushing back into the studio. The timing comes after an extremely busy period in her career. Cardi released her long-awaited second album, Am I the Drama?, in September 2025. The 23-track project debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, marking another major achievement for the rapper. She then took the album on her first full headlining arena tour, the Little Miss Drama Tour. The 35-date North American tour began in February and concluded in April, giving Cardi another demanding stretch of performances and promotion. (People.com⁠) Even while taking time away, Cardi has not completely disappeared from music. On July 31, she released “AH HA,” a solo single that became her 30th career top 10 on Billboard’s Hot Rap Songs chart. (People.com⁠) For now, Cardi appears determined to enjoy her freedom and return to music when she genuinely feels ready. Her message to fans is straightforward: complaints will not speed up her creative process. Instead, she is choosing rest, family and happiness over pressure — and she is perfectly comfortable doing things on her own timeline.

  • | |

    Princess Leonor, Sofia dazzle in elegant Mallorca outing

    Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia captured attention with their elegant appearances during a family outing in Mallorca. The Spanish royal sisters joined King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia for a family dinner in Palma on Friday evening, August 7. The family gathered at Mia restaurant as part of their annual summer stay in Mallorca. The outing gave the young royals another opportunity to showcase their distinctive styles. Princess Leonor, the heir to the Spanish throne, made a particularly striking appearance. The 20-year-old royal wore a sleeveless, ankle-length dress with a colourful floral pattern. Her dress featured shades of blue, teal and pink. It also had a fitted waist and a flowing skirt that gave the outfit a sophisticated look. Leonor completed her appearance with navy blue and beige wedge sandals. She also carried a bright pink clutch that added a bold touch to her ensemble. The princess wore her long dark hair in loose waves. Her understated styling complemented the colourful dress. Infanta Sofia also opted for a summery outfit. She wore a white off-the-shoulder maxi dress decorated with blue floral and abstract patterns. The dress featured short sleeves, a defined waist and a flowing floor-length skirt. Sofia paired it with white flat shoes. She left her glossy brown hair loose over her shoulders. Her simple styling added to the relaxed summer look. The sisters were joined by their parents for the dinner. Queen Sofia, the mother of King Felipe VI, also attended the family gathering. Princess Leonor has increasingly attracted public attention as she prepares for her future role as Spain’s monarch. Born on October 31, 2005, she is the elder daughter of King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia. She holds the title Princess of Asturias and is first in line to the Spanish throne. Leonor recently completed three years of military training. During her training, she served across Spain’s Army, Navy and Air and Space Force. Following her military education, she is enjoying an extended summer break. She is then expected to begin a new academic chapter. The young royal is set to study Political Science at Carlos III University in Madrid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *