fifa turmoil deepens
|

FIFA turmoil deepens as senior official Lamour exits

FIFA’s internal tensions have deepened after senior executive Kevin Lamour left the organisation, weeks after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino’s controversial plan to sell part of the governing body’s commercial rights.

FIFA confirmed on Monday that Lamour’s working relationship with the organisation had ended on August 17, bringing an abrupt close to the tenure of a senior official who had once been part of Infantino’s inner circle.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended,” a FIFA spokesperson said. The organisation thanked Lamour for his service but offered no further explanation.

Senior executive Kevin Lamour

Lamour joined FIFA’s senior leadership team in November 2024. He had previously supported Infantino’s campaign for the FIFA presidency in 2016.

His departure comes after he openly attacked a proposal to create a commercial subsidiary worth around $20 billion and sell as much as a 20% stake to private equity investors. The plan was designed to raise an estimated $4.2 billion.

Lamour criticised the proposal last month, saying FIFA employees had been “deceived” about the plan and describing it as “the project of one person”.

He also questioned whether FIFA’s leadership was putting personal interests ahead of football’s wider interests.

The controversy intensified after Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned in protest and described the proposed deal as a bad arrangement for football. Infantino subsequently withdrew the proposal.

However, the backlash has continued and has increasingly raised questions about Infantino’s bid for a fourth term as FIFA president.

Infantino’s Reelection Faces Growing Opposition

Infantino’s reelection, once widely regarded as almost certain, now faces a stronger challenge.

UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have all expressed concerns and recently called for an independent review of Infantino’s conduct. At the same time, several national football associations have questioned whether they should support another term.

The Scottish Football Association has already said it will not back Infantino in next year’s election.

The dispute has also moved into FIFA’s governance structures.

Human rights organisation FairSquare has asked FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee to rule Infantino ineligible for another presidential term, arguing that FIFA’s rules limit presidents to three terms.

Infantino, however, has maintained that his initial period in office from 2016 to 2019 should not count because he completed an interrupted mandate following the resignation of former president Sepp Blatter.

He was elected in 2016 and subsequently won uncontested elections in 2019 and 2023.

FairSquare director Nicholas McGeehan said the organisation’s complaint presented evidence of what he described as a breach of FIFA’s rules.

Former FIFA Governance and Review Committee head Miguel Maduro also backed the complaint, arguing that term limits were a central part of reforms introduced to prevent excessive concentration of power.

The dispute now places FIFA under increasing scrutiny ahead of next year’s presidential election.

While Infantino retains support from the African and South American confederations, opposition from influential football bodies in Europe, Asia and North and Central America could make his path to another term considerably more difficult.

With Lamour’s departure adding to the controversy surrounding FIFA’s leadership, pressure on Infantino is likely to remain intense as football’s governing body approaches a crucial election year.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    10 terrorists eliminated in Balochistan operation

    Security forces have eliminated 10 terrorists during intelligence-based operations in Balochistan, targeting militant networks linked to Fitna al-Hindustan and Fitna al-Khawarij. According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the operations were carried out over 48 hours in Surab and Mastung districts. Security forces conducted targeted actions after receiving intelligence about the presence of militants in the areas. The ISPR said troops successfully attacked terrorist hideouts and neutralized several militants. Seven terrorists were killed in Surab, while three others were eliminated during an operation in Mastung. During the operations, security forces also arrested two female suicide attackers associated with Fitna al-Hindustan along with a facilitator. Officials said the arrests helped prevent possible terrorist activities in the region. Security forces recovered a large quantity of weapons, ammunition and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) from the militants. The recovered material was taken into custody for further investigation. After the successful operations, clearance activities were launched in the affected areas to search for any remaining members of the terrorist networks. Security personnel are continuing efforts to ensure that no militant elements remain active in the region. The ISPR said the fight against terrorism will continue without discrimination under the Azm-e-Istehkam initiative. It added that security forces remain determined to eliminate terrorist threats and protect the lives and property of citizens. Officials said such intelligence-based operations will continue across the country to dismantle militant networks and restore lasting peace and stability.

  • |

    Ireland withdraws support for Infantino as FIFA pressure mounts

    The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has withdrawn its previous support for Gianni Infantino’s bid to remain FIFA president, adding to growing pressure on the football governing body’s leadership. The FAI confirmed the decision after a board meeting and said it had formally written to FIFA to explain why it was rescinding a letter of support issued earlier this year. The association cited concerns over governance, transparency and the lack of meaningful consultation. The decision comes amid a widening dispute over FIFA’s leadership and a controversial proposal involving the commercial rights of the World Cup. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have criticised Infantino’s handling of the issue, accusing FIFA of a serious breakdown in trust. Ireland’s move represents another setback for Infantino as he seeks another term in office at the FIFA presidential election scheduled for March 2027. New Zealand has also withdrawn its backing, while several European associations have publicly opposed Infantino’s leadership. Northern Ireland’s football association, meanwhile, has backed UEFA’s position and said it would continue engaging on issues related to football governance. The contrasting positions on the island underline the wider divisions emerging within international football. Despite the growing opposition, Infantino retains support from several influential football bodies, including the African confederation and a number of Arab football associations. The FIFA presidency therefore remains a closely contested political battle rather than a settled outcome. With more national associations reassessing their positions, the dispute is expected to remain a major issue ahead of the 2027 FIFA election. Ireland’s decision further highlights the mounting calls for greater transparency, consultation and accountability in the governance of world football.

  • | |

    Zelensky says Russia deploying North Korean missil…

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia used North Korean missiles in overnight strikes on Zaporizhzhia that killed at least six people and injured 19 others, as both sides continued exchanging attacks across the front line. In a video address Monday evening, Zelensky said Russia has reached a point where it “cannot wage war without reinforcements from North Korea” for the first time. He warned that continued use of North Korean missiles and troops inside Ukraine and across Europe allows Pyongyang to identify and fix weaknesses in its weapons systems, calling this a growing danger that extends beyond the immediate conflict. Zaporizhzhia regional governor Ivan Fedorov shared images of burning vehicles and damaged buildings, saying Russian forces struck the city with missiles and guided bombs. He said the attack damaged industrial sites, infrastructure and non residential buildings across the city, in addition to causing casualties. The strikes followed a separate wave of Ukrainian drone attacks that killed at least 13 people, including a child, in Russia’s republic of Tatarstan, located more than 1,100 kilometers, or roughly 680 miles, from the Ukrainian border. Ukraine’s Armed Forces said the strikes hit the city’s Tanevo oil refinery, and verified social media footage showed large plumes of smoke and daytime flames at the site as air raid sirens sounded nearby. Officials said at least 75 people were injured in that attack, which ranks among the deadliest single strikes on Russian territory since the full scale invasion began in 2022. Uzbekistan’s consulate in Tatarstan said seven of those killed held Uzbek citizenship. In Kyiv, air raid sirens sounded twice overnight and explosions struck the outskirts of the capital, sparking fires and injuring one person. A strike also damaged a hospital in the city, though officials said staff and patients had already moved to shelter. Separate strikes on power substations in Kherson and Kharkiv caused outages in both cities. In Sumy, a Russian drone strike injured two women, aged 52 and 66, according to Sergiy Kryvosheenko, head of the Sumy City Military Administration. He said both were treated at the scene and that the strike also damaged civilian vehicles, warehouse buildings and other infrastructure. Ukrainian officials said Russia launched 120 drones overnight along with a mix of missile types, though for the first time authorities did not disclose how many missiles were fired or intercepted. The omission followed a statement from Ukraine’s Air Force on Monday asking media outlets to avoid sensationalized coverage or pessimistic framing regarding the country’s shortage of air defence interceptors. Ukraine also struck Russian territory overnight, hitting warehouses belonging to online retailer Wildberries in the Voronezh region in southern Russia. Wildberries, often described as Russia’s answer to Amazon, has faced repeated attacks on its facilities in recent weeks. The company has not confirmed the latest strike but said it evacuated facilities in the border region as a precaution. In July, Ukrainian drone strikes on several Wildberries warehouses disrupted operations for a large number of small and medium sized Russian businesses. Kyiv said at the time that it was targeting logistics hubs Russian buyers used to acquire military equipment, part of a broader effort to disrupt supply lines feeding the Russian military. In his Monday address, Zelensky also praised a separate strike on a Russian petrochemical plant in western Siberia, calling it a significant achievement for Ukraine’s military. He pledged additional long range Ukrainian strikes intended to convince Russia and the Russian public that peace remains necessary. This is not the first time Zelensky has raised alarm over North Korean military support for Russia. He said over the weekend that as many as 50,000 North Korean soldiers have been deployed to fight alongside Russian forces, part of a growing pattern of cooperation between Moscow and Pyongyang that Ukrainian officials say is reshaping the battlefield and raising broader security concerns well beyond the immediate conflict.

  • | |

    What’s really going on between Michael B. Jordan…

    Michael B. Jordan and Rihanna have sparked plenty of online curiosity after a recent outing together led fans to wonder whether the two stars could be more than friends. The viral sighting quickly fueled speculation, particularly because both celebrities are major names in entertainment. However, reports suggest there is no romance behind their meeting. According to the information attributed to Page Six, the outing was connected to work, and Jordan and Rihanna are simply friends. A viral moment creates dating rumors Celebrity sightings can quickly become the subject of online speculation, especially when two well-known stars are seen together away from a major public event. That appears to be what happened with Jordan and Rihanna. The pair’s recent appearance was enough for fans to begin wondering about their relationship. Social media reactions quickly turned a casual meeting into a possible romance story, even though neither star has publicly confirmed a relationship. Jordan has generally kept his personal life private. He previously described his love life as a subject he is not particularly interested in discussing publicly, while explaining that his demanding career can make relationships complicated. (Harper’s BAZAAR⁠) Their connection is reportedly professional Despite the speculation, the latest reports indicate that the outing had a professional reason behind it. Sources reportedly told Page Six that Jordan and Rihanna are friends and that their recent time together was work-related. That explanation offers a much simpler answer to the viral photos and suggests fans may have read more into the encounter than was actually there. Neither Jordan nor Rihanna has publicly announced a romantic relationship with each other, making the friendship explanation the only confirmed direction available at this point. Jordan keeps his dating life private Jordan has remained relatively quiet about his relationships throughout his career. His most public romance was with Lori Harvey, whom he dated for more than a year before their 2022 split. Since then, the actor has been linked to several women, although many of those reports were never confirmed. (People.com⁠) His private approach makes it understandable why even a simple public outing can attract considerable attention. Rihanna, meanwhile, has also remained focused on her family, music, business ventures and other professional projects. A sighting with another celebrity does not necessarily indicate a romantic connection. For now, the viral moment appears to be exactly that: a moment that generated plenty of speculation but little evidence of a romance.

  • Chiang Rai Hosts Authentic Muaythai 2569″ Tournament Northern Qualifiers

    CHIANG RAI – The Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) officially launched the northern regional quarterfinals of the highly anticipated “Authentic Muaythai 2569” tournament. This grassroots development initiative aims to find and nurture raw, undiscovered boxing talent from local communities and elevate them onto the global sports stage. The action-packed event took place at the temporary boxing […]

  • |

    Man admits transporting body of Scottish woman in suitcase in Athens

    Greek authorities have arrested a 26-year-old man who confessed to transporting the body of 38-year-old Scottish woman Elisabeth-Jane Ross in a suitcase to an abandoned building in Athens. The victim’s body was discovered on 18 July in the Kypseli district following a missing person report, with subsequent investigations leading police to identify the suspect via video footage. Law enforcement officers arrested the suspect on suspicion of manslaughter, robbery, and weapons offences after finding he had used the victim’s bank cards and seized a knife and replica pistol at his home. Greek police are fast-tracking toxicology reports to determine the precise cause of death while continuing efforts to trace American acquaintances Ross was scheduled to visit before her disappearance. The Scottish Government confirmed it is providing official support to the victim’s family alongside the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *