gold prices edge
|

Gold prices edge lower in Pakistan as global rates decline

KARACHI: Gold prices recorded a modest decline in Pakistan on Saturday, with the domestic market following a slight downward movement in international bullion rates.

According to data released by the All Pakistan Sarafa Gems and Jewellers Association, the price of gold fell by Rs500 per tola, bringing the price to Rs459,936 per tola.

The association reported a corresponding decline in the price of 10 grams of gold. The rate for 10 grams was reduced by Rs429, settling at Rs394,320.

The decrease in domestic gold prices came as international bullion rates also moved lower. In the global market, gold fell by $5 per ounce to $4,375 per ounce.

Market participants closely monitor international gold prices, currency movements and domestic demand when determining bullion rates in Pakistan. Changes in the international market can have a direct impact on local prices, particularly when combined with fluctuations in the exchange rate.

Gold remains a popular investment and savings instrument in Pakistan, where consumers and investors closely track daily changes in bullion prices. Jewellery demand, inflation expectations and movements in global financial markets can also influence local buying and selling activity.

The latest reduction, however, was relatively limited, indicating that the domestic bullion market remained broadly stable despite the decline in international prices.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Alzarri Joseph responds to Darren Sammy’s selection remarks

    BRIDGETOWN: West Indies fast bowler Alzarri Joseph has responded to comments made by head coach Darren Sammy regarding his absence from the ongoing Test series against Pakistan, saying his decision was taken out of context and has created a misleading public perception. The controversy emerged after Cricket West Indies initially cited “personal reasons” for Joseph’s unavailability. However, subsequent remarks by Sammy suggested that the pacer had declined selection for the series, sparking widespread discussion among cricket fans and analysts. In a statement, Joseph clarified that his decision was based solely on his physical condition following a lengthy recovery from his second stress fracture in the back within the past year. The fast bowler explained that he had only recently returned to Test cricket and had already played two demanding Tests against Sri Lanka, followed by five consecutive One-Day Internationals against New Zealand. After that workload, he felt his body was not ready for another Test series without adequate rest. Joseph said the coach’s comments were made without presenting the full background, leading many to misunderstand his position. “I believe the remarks were incomplete and created the wrong impression among the public,” he said, stressing that his commitment to West Indies cricket remains unchanged. The 29-year-old also dismissed suggestions that he had turned his back on the national team, saying he has always been proud to represent the West Indies whenever he is physically fit. Joseph reaffirmed that he remains a professional cricketer dedicated to serving his country and its supporters. He added that his responsibility is to the West Indies team and the people of the Caribbean, not to any individual. His clarification comes as the West Indies continue their Test campaign against Pakistan, with discussions over player workload and injury management increasingly becoming an important issue in international cricket. The latest exchange has highlighted the challenges teams face in balancing player fitness with the demands of a packed international schedule.

  • | | |

    Pakistan clinches central Asian Volleyball champio…

      Pakistan emerged as the champions of the Central Asian Volleyball Championship after defeating Bangladesh in straight sets in the tournament final held in Islamabad. The national team delivered a commanding performance throughout the competition, remaining unbeaten and securing the prestigious title with an impressive display of teamwork and skill. In the championship final, Pakistan outclassed Bangladesh in three consecutive sets to seal a comfortable victory. The final scores were 25-20, 25-16, and 25-20, reflecting Pakistan’s dominance from the start of the match to the final point. The team maintained control in all three sets, displaying strong attacking play, effective blocking, and disciplined defense to prevent Bangladesh from mounting a comeback. The tournament featured six participating teams from the Central Asian region. Pakistan enjoyed an outstanding campaign, winning every match it played and finishing the event with an unbeaten record. Their consistent performances throughout the championship demonstrated the team’s growing strength and highlighted the significant progress made by volleyball in the country. The final attracted enthusiastic support from local fans, who cheered the national team as they secured another major international volleyball title. Pakistan’s players showed remarkable composure under pressure, while their coordination and tactical execution proved too strong for the Bangladeshi side. The victory further strengthened Pakistan’s reputation as one of the leading volleyball nations in the region. In the match for third place, Sri Lanka defeated Uzbekistan to finish the tournament with the bronze medal. Both teams competed fiercely for a place on the podium, but Sri Lanka ultimately emerged victorious with a solid all-round performance. Following Pakistan’s triumph, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif congratulated the national volleyball team on winning the Central Asian Volleyball Championship. In an official statement, the Prime Minister praised the outstanding performances of the players, coaches, and team management, acknowledging their dedication and hard work throughout the tournament. He stated that the national team had made the entire nation proud by demonstrating exceptional teamwork, discipline, and determination. According to the Prime Minister, the players’ remarkable achievements reflected the immense talent present among Pakistan’s youth and proved that they have the ability to bring international recognition to the country in every field of sports. The Prime Minister also reaffirmed the government’s commitment to promoting sports across Pakistan and supporting young athletes. He emphasized that the development of sports remains an important priority and assured that the government would continue providing every possible opportunity and encouragement to talented players so they can compete successfully at regional and international levels. Pakistan’s victory in the Central Asian Volleyball Championship is expected to boost the popularity of volleyball in the country and inspire aspiring athletes to pursue the sport. The unbeaten title-winning campaign reflects the dedication of the players, coaching staff, and management, while also highlighting the growing standards of Pakistani volleyball. With this impressive triumph, Pakistan has once again demonstrated its strength in regional volleyball, ending the tournament as deserving champions and giving sports fans across the nation another memorable achievement to celebrate. The success is likely to serve as motivation for the team as it prepares for future international competitions and aims to build on this historic accomplishment.

  • | |

    Scientists, Academics attend launch of ‘My Strug…

    ISLAMABAD: A distinguished gathering of eminent scientists, academicians, former public sector officials, engineers, and professionals attended the launch ceremony of My Struggles; Journey of a Technologist, authored by renowned scientist and technologist Dr. Farid A. Malik, held at the Islamabad Club on Thursday. The ceremony was attended by former officers of the Pakistan Science Foundation (PSF), a former Director General of NUST, senior representatives from academia and industry, including the Director of the Thar Coal Project, and several distinguished personalities from Islamabad. Speaking on the occasion, participants paid rich tribute to Dr. Farid A. Malik’s lifelong contributions to science, engineering, higher education, and national development. They described the book as an inspiring account of perseverance, professional excellence, and unwavering commitment to Pakistan’s scientific and technological progress. The speakers shared personal experiences and memories of working with Dr. Malik, highlighting his visionary leadership, dedication to mentoring young professionals, and his relentless pursuit of technological advancement. They noted that his remarkable journey serves as a source of inspiration for students, researchers, engineers, and policymakers alike.   Addressing the audience, Dr. Farid A. Malik presented a brief overview of his life’s journey, reflecting on the challenges, opportunities, and milestones that shaped his career as a technologist, researcher, educator, and public servant. “Success is not achieved without struggle. Every challenge presents an opportunity to learn, innovate, and contribute towards national development,” Dr. Malik remarked while sharing the key message of his book. He encouraged young professionals to remain committed to excellence, embrace innovation, and serve the country with integrity, determination, and dedication. The participants appreciated the publication as a valuable addition to Pakistan’s scientific literature, observing that it documents not only the personal journey of an accomplished technologist but also the evolution of science, engineering, and technology in the country over several decades. The event concluded with an interactive question-and-answer session followed by a book-signing ceremony, where attendees congratulated Dr. Malik on documenting his inspiring life journey and wished him continued success in promoting science and technology in Pakistan.

  • | | |

    PM Shehbaz unveils bold Vision 2047 for Pakistan?…

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has launched Vision Pakistan 2047, a long-term national development framework focused on economic growth, youth empowerment, employment, education, technology and sustainable development. Addressing a youth event in Islamabad, the prime minister pledged to do everything within his power for the prosperity and employment of young Pakistanis as long as he remained responsible for serving the country. Shehbaz said Pakistan’s founders built the country in 1947, while the Pakistan of 2047 would be shaped by the vision, energy and capabilities of its young generation. He urged students to prepare themselves to play a leading role in the country’s future development. Youth development is a major component of Vision Pakistan 2047. The government plans to expand opportunities in education, employment, entrepreneurship and technology so that young people can acquire skills required by the modern economy. The prime minister also announced Pakistan’s first national youth employment policy. Under the policy, women will have a 35 per cent share in the labour force, while 10 per cent of the allocation will be reserved for startups. The initiative aims not only to help young people find jobs but also encourage them to establish businesses and create employment for others. Shehbaz stressed that equal access to quality education was essential for building the welfare state envisioned by Quaid-e-Azam. He said talented children from villages and less-developed areas should receive opportunities comparable to those available to students from privileged backgrounds. The government plans to expand the Danish Schools network to Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Gilgit-Baltistan and Balochistan. The initiative is intended to provide quality education to deserving students without financial barriers. A Danish University is also being established in Islamabad, with classes expected to begin next year. The institution will focus on modern education and emerging disciplines. The prime minister said Pakistan must increase its focus on information technology, artificial intelligence and technical education to remain competitive globally. He said 1,000 students had already been sent to China for training in agricultural technology, while high-achieving students would receive opportunities for IT and AI education. The government has also distributed around 700,000 laptops among deserving students. Another 250,000 laptops are expected to be provided to high-achieving students this year. Vision Pakistan 2047 will be aligned with the government’s Uraan Pakistan programme. Ministries and relevant institutions have been directed to set long-term targets covering economic transformation, human capital, technology, innovation, governance and sustainable development. The broader objective is to create a competitive and inclusive economy and move Pakistan towards a trillion-dollar economic target while improving living standards and expanding opportunities for its young population. Chairman of the Prime Minister’s Youth Programme Rana Mashhood Ahmed Khan also addressed the gathering. He said the government was working continuously to create opportunities for young people and praised Shehbaz Sharif for initiatives taken for youth development.

  • | |

    Trump returns to White House correspondents’ din…

    United States President Donald Trump will address the White House Correspondents’ Association at a rescheduled gala on Friday, nearly three months after a shooting outside the Washington Hilton forced the cancellation of the April event. The black-tie dinner, now relocated to the Waldorf Astoria hotel, will take place under heightened security. Secret Service Director Sean Curran said an advance team had implemented a comprehensive plan, acknowledging the risk of hostile actors but stressing that the agency was treating the venue with the same rigor as any presidential site. The April 25 incident occurred as Trump and his cabinet were arriving. A man armed with a shotgun attempted to breach a security checkpoint and opened fire. Secret Service officer Victor Gonzales, credited with stopping the attack, was shot but survived thanks to his protective vest. Gonzales will be honored at Friday’s dinner, along with Hilton staff who assisted guests during the chaos. The suspect, Cole Allen, has pleaded not guilty to charges including attempted assassination of the president. Trump has argued the attack underscored the need for a $400 million ballroom under construction at the White House, saying future events held there would enhance presidential security. The correspondents’ dinner, a century-old Washington tradition, raises funds for journalism scholarships and celebrates the First Amendment. Trump is scheduled to deliver remarks, with entertainment provided by mentalist Oz Pearlman. This year’s event carries added weight. Trump has frequently clashed with the press, denouncing coverage as “fake news,” restricting access for outlets such as the Associated Press, and threatening to revoke broadcast licenses. Yet he has also given reporters more direct access than recent presidents, often taking questions in unscripted settings. Several journalism organizations have urged the WHCA to use the dinner to condemn what they describe as Trump’s attacks on press freedom. WHCA President Weijia Jiang said the gala would send a clear message: “Violence has no place in American life and a free press will not be intimidated into silence.”

  • | | | |

    Trump furious over US weapons shortages as Iran te…

    WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has grown increasingly angry over reports that the country’s stockpile of key munitions has been significantly depleted during the conflict with Iran, fearing the disclosures could undermine Washington’s leverage as he pushes Tehran toward a deal. Senior US officials told CNN that the issue became a major point of discussion during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David last week. Trump was reportedly frustrated not only by the shortages but by the publication of details about US weapons inventories at a sensitive moment in the conflict. Several officials said Trump had known for months that certain munitions were in limited supply and was not surprised by the underlying situation. His concern, they said, was that public reporting could weaken the image of US military strength while he threatens further action against Iran. Trump sought to push back publicly, saying the United States has “massive amounts” of munitions and that weapons production is expanding. He also threatened severe punishment for officials responsible for leaking classified or sensitive information. However, Trump acknowledged in remarks at the White House that some advanced weapons are in tighter supply, while insisting there is a virtually unlimited supply of less sophisticated weaponry. White House officials said Trump has not blamed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth for the situation and continues to express confidence in his leadership. Instead, the president has directed the Justice Department to investigate what he described as “treasonous” leaks from within his administration. The concerns have intensified after reports indicated that US forces have used a large share of their air-defence interceptors since the conflict began. CNN reported that the military had consumed nearly four-fifths of its pre-war THAAD missile inventory and about half of its Patriot interceptors. The reported shortages have also alarmed US partners in the Gulf, many of whom rely heavily on American air-defence systems. Regional officials have warned that reduced US stocks could make it harder to defend against potential Iranian missile and drone attacks if Washington launches further strikes. Iran has reportedly warned Gulf countries that renewed US attacks could trigger retaliation against energy infrastructure and desalination facilities across the region. Trump has spoken with leaders in Qatar and Saudi Arabia as his administration weighs its next steps. Senior military advisers have repeatedly raised concerns about dwindling stocks during discussions over potential escalation. The issue predates the current crisis. US military leaders had warned before the war that a prolonged campaign could strain American weapons supplies, particularly after years of support for Israel and Ukraine. Trump has blamed the previous administration for contributing to depleted stockpiles through weapons deliveries to Ukraine, while also acknowledging that the United States needs greater reserves. The administration has moved to expand production, including invoking the Defense Production Act and meeting with major defence contractors such as Lockheed Martin. However, officials acknowledge that expanding weapons manufacturing capacity could take years, meaning increased production may not immediately solve the shortage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *