hamza shehbaz takes
| |

Hamza Shehbaz takes charge at PM House

Former Punjab Chief Minister Hamza Shehbaz has taken charge of his office at the Prime Minister’s House. His new office will be located on the sixth floor of the PM House.

According to party sources, Hamza Shehbaz has already started engaging with federal ministers. He held meetings with several federal ministers a day before formally beginning his office work. The meetings focused on political and administrative matters.

Hamza Shehbaz is expected to begin his regular office responsibilities from Monday. He will coordinate with government officials and oversee matters assigned to him.

Party sources said Hamza Shehbaz will also look after affairs related to the Public Accounts Committee (PAC). The committee deals with matters involving government spending, public funds and financial oversight.

He is also expected to establish a committee to address the concerns and problems of party workers. The committee will work on resolving issues raised by workers and improving coordination within the party.

His appointment at the PM House is expected to increase his involvement in federal-level political and parliamentary affairs. It will also provide him with a formal platform to coordinate with ministers and other government officials.

Hamza Shehbaz has previously served as Punjab chief minister and has remained active in the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N). His new responsibilities are expected to further strengthen his role in the party’s political and organisational affairs.

He will formally start handling his office matters from Monday, while meetings and consultations with government and party officials are expected to continue in the coming days.

Similar Posts

  • Fifth Thai Soldier Killed as Border Clashes Intensify; Thai Jets Strike Cambodian Targets

    BaANGKOK – The escalating conflict along the Thai-Cambodian border has claimed the life of a fifth Thai soldier, identified as 20-year-old Private Therdsak Srilachai of the 3rd Infantry Battalion. The young soldier, a native of Ban Phusing in Si Sa Ket province, died from severe shrapnel wounds sustained from a Cambodian BM-21 rocket during fighting […]

  • | |

    ‘I never said Rawalakot people aren’t …

    SIALKOT: Defence Minister Khawaja Asif has rejected claims that he questioned the Kashmiri identity of the people of Rawalakot, saying his remarks had been misunderstood and reaffirming Pakistan’s support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir. Addressing a public gathering in Sialkot on Friday, the senior Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader said he had “never said that the people of Rawalakot are not Kashmiris.” He stressed that Pakistan’s bond with Kashmir remains unwavering and added that pro-Pakistan slogans continue to be raised in Indian-administered Kashmir. Khawaja Asif also pledged that the government would not allow the abolition of refugee-reserved seats, describing Kashmiri refugees as the rightful stakeholders whose political representation must be protected. “The refugee seats will not be abolished. Kashmiri refugees are the true heirs of these constituencies,” he told supporters, adding that the government remained committed to safeguarding their constitutional and political rights. The defence minister also criticized the Action Committee operating in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, accusing it of encouraging unrest despite the government having previously accepted many of its demands. He claimed that financial assistance amounting to Rs24-25 billion had already been provided to address public concerns. Without presenting evidence, Asif further alleged that some members of the committee were “suspicious” and receiving foreign funding, asserting that their activities were creating unnecessary instability instead of contributing to constructive dialogue. Turning to politics, the PML-N leader expressed confidence that his party would form the next government in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, saying the party remained committed to development, stability and public welfare in the region. His remarks come amid heightened political debate over Kashmir-related issues and governance in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, where political parties continue to campaign on questions of representation, development and regional stability ahead of future electoral contests.

  • | |

    Pakistan information commission declares Pakistan …

    ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Information Commission (PIC) has declared the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) a public body under the Right of Access to Information Act, 2017, and directed it to provide within 15 days information sought regarding lawyers’ degrees, licence cancellations, government grants and governing body proceedings. The order was issued in appeal titled Saddia Mazhar vs Pakistan Bar Council, by Chief Information Commissioner Shoaib Ahmad Siddiqui and Information Commissioner Ijaz Hassan Awan. The applicant had sought eight categories of information, including province-wise numbers of PBC members or licence holders; those who had submitted attested degrees; lawyers whose licences were cancelled for failing to submit attested educational documents; and those whose licences were cancelled over fake degrees. She also sought copies of circulars and notifications concerning degree attestation, details of federal and provincial government grants received since 2020, including amounts and dates, and a copy of the latest minutes of the PBC Governing Body meeting. In its reply to the Commission, that the PBC maintained that it was an autonomous statutory body generating its own funds and did not fall within the definition of a public body. Its representatives argued that the government exercised neither financial nor administrative control over it, while acknowledging that the Attorney General for Pakistan is its ex officio member. The Commission rejected the PBC’s position, holding that it is a statutory organisation established under the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973, and performs important public functions relating to legal education, recognition of law degrees and regulation of legal practitioners. It also observed that Bar Councils receive public funds or government grants and their offices are located in public buildings. The PIC ruled that the PBC falls within the definition of a public body under Section 2(ix)(g) and (h) of the Right of Access to Information Act, 2017. It further held that none of the eight information requests attracted an exemption under the law. The Secretary, Pakistan Bar Council, was consequently directed to provide the requested information within 15 days of receiving the order. The case was adjourned until September 2, 2026.

  • |

    Fatima Zehra says better facilities could have earned gold

    Pakistan’s trailblazing boxer Fatima Zehra believes she had the potential to win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games if she had access to the same level of training facilities and international exposure as many of her competitors. The 22-year-old made history by becoming the first Pakistani woman to win a boxing medal at the Commonwealth Games after claiming bronze in the women’s 60kg category. Although she narrowly missed out on a place in the final, Fatima described the achievement as a proud moment for herself and for Pakistan. Reflecting on her campaign, Fatima said her main objective before the tournament was to secure a medal, while also hoping to progress to the final. She admitted that the competition was extremely challenging, with many of her opponents benefiting from extensive international training and experience. Her journey ended in the semi-finals, where she faced Canada’s Marie-Bathoul Al-Ahmadieh. Fatima acknowledged that her opponent’s speed and international experience proved decisive, making it difficult to overcome the challenge. Despite the defeat, she expressed satisfaction with her bronze medal, saying it was earned against some of the strongest boxers in the competition. She also noted that competing at such a high level allowed her to gain valuable experience by observing other elite athletes and learning from every bout. Fatima highlighted the gap between Pakistan’s sporting infrastructure and that of leading boxing nations. She pointed out that several countries, including regional rivals, organized overseas training camps in the United States before the Games, while Pakistan’s preparations took place entirely at home. According to Fatima, world-class coaching facilities, modern training environments, and regular international competition are essential if Pakistani athletes are to consistently challenge for top honors on the global stage. She believes greater government investment in sports development would significantly improve the country’s chances of success. The young boxer also acknowledged the role played by the Pakistan Army, the Pakistan Boxing Federation, and her coach, Raheel Adnan, crediting them for their guidance and support throughout her preparation. She said their encouragement was instrumental in helping her achieve the historic milestone. Looking ahead, Fatima has already shifted her focus to the upcoming Asian Games, which are scheduled to take place in Japan in September. She hopes the experience gained at the Commonwealth Games will strengthen her performances against Asia’s top competitors. Fatima previously won a bronze medal at the 2025 Islamic Games in Saudi Arabia, and she is determined to build on that success by aiming for an even stronger finish at the Asian Games. Her boxing journey has not been without challenges. She revealed that although boxing now runs in her family, her parents initially opposed her decision to pursue the sport. After competing at the Punjab level, she was forced to step away from boxing because of her family’s concerns. However, her coach Raheel Adnan convinced them to give her another opportunity, a decision that ultimately changed her career. Today, her family fully supports her ambitions, and her two sisters, Dua and Aiman, along with her younger brother Naday Ali, have also taken up boxing. Fatima secured her historic Commonwealth Games bronze after defeating New Zealand’s Jordan Wilson by a unanimous 5-0 decision in the quarter-finals. Under tournament rules, both losing semi-finalists were awarded bronze medals, marking a landmark achievement for women’s boxing in Pakistan.

  • |

    Protests erupt in Bologna after man’s death during police restraint

    Thousands of people marched through the Italian city of Bologna after the death of a Moroccan born man who died while being restrained by police, prompting a criminal investigation and violent clashes that left dozens of officers injured. The protests were held in memory of Abderrahim Fakir, whose death on Sunday has sparked widespread public anger and renewed debate over police conduct in Italy. Demonstrators gathered to demand justice before a smaller group broke away from the main rally and clashed with riot police late into the night. Authorities said 64 police officers were injured during the unrest as protesters threw objects, confronted security forces and set two vehicles on fire. Police eventually brought the situation under control. The incident that led to the demonstrations began after officers responded to reports of a man behaving erratically in Bologna’s Pilastro neighbourhood. According to police, Fakir was seen kicking garage doors before officers attempted to calm him. They later used pepper spray during the confrontation. A video widely shared by Italian media shows two police officers holding Fakir face down on the ground while another man restrains his legs. Emergency medical workers are also visible nearby. In the footage, Fakir can be heard asking the officers to stop before he gradually stops moving. After he became unresponsive, officers handcuffed him and attempted to wake him before medical staff intervened. Prosecutors have opened a manslaughter investigation involving the police officers and emergency workers who were present at the scene. The inquiry will examine whether the restraint methods or medical response contributed to Fakir’s death. Several witnesses told local media that although Fakir appeared distressed, he was unarmed and did not pose a threat to anyone nearby. His sister, Khadija Fakir, called for a full investigation and said the family wanted answers about how he died while in police custody. Bologna Mayor Matteo Lepore also expressed shock after watching the video and organised Monday’s public demonstration in support of Fakir’s family. During the rally, Fakir’s niece addressed the crowd, describing her uncle as a caring and respected member of the community. She said he deserved compassion, dignity and help rather than the outcome that followed. Although the main demonstration remained peaceful, officials said a small number of protesters later turned violent. Mayor Lepore condemned the unrest while drawing a distinction between peaceful demonstrators and those who resorted to violence. The police union defended the officers’ actions and argued that the available video showed they had acted appropriately under difficult circumstances. Union representatives said the officers immediately handed over body camera footage to investigators and insisted the use of force was justified because officers faced resistance during the incident. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called for a thorough investigation into Fakir’s death while strongly condemning the violence that followed. She said determining the truth about the incident was essential but stressed that attacks on law enforcement could not be justified. Fakir’s death has drawn comparisons with previous high profile cases involving deaths in police custody in Italy. Opposition politicians have criticised the government’s strong support for police, while human rights advocates say the investigation must establish whether officers followed proper procedures during the arrest. The case has intensified public discussion over policing practices and accountability across the country.

  • Russian Embassy Denies Mercenary Allegations in Thai-Cambodia Border Conflict

    The Russian Embassy in Thailand has formally rejected media reports claiming that Russian citizens are acting as mercenaries for Cambodia in the ongoing border conflict with Thailand. In a statement issued on Facebook, the embassy dismissed the allegations as unfounded and likely fabricated from sources outside the region. Korat Police on Alert for Possible Foreign […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *