hong kong democracy
|

Hong Kong democracy activist allowed to remain in UK after deportation scare

Former Hong Kong opposition leader Wu Chi-wai has been granted permission to stay in the United Kingdom for six months after initially facing the possibility of deportation upon arriving at Heathrow Airport. The decision ends several days of uncertainty and allows the veteran pro-democracy activist to reunite with his family after years of separation.

Wu arrived in London last Wednesday but was detained by UK Border Force officers for nearly 10 hours. Speaking to BBC Chinese, he said officials initially refused him entry and later informed him that he would only be allowed to remain in the country for one week before reporting back to the airport for deportation.

However, the situation changed on Monday when UK authorities approved his entry under standard visitor rules, allowing him to stay in the country for up to six months.

The 63-year-old is one of Hong Kong’s best known pro-democracy figures and formerly led the now dissolved Democratic Party. He was also among the group widely known as the Hong Kong 47, prominent activists and politicians prosecuted under Hong Kong’s national security law. Wu was released from prison in June after serving more than five years on convictions related to subversion and other charges.

Wu said the trip was mainly intended to reunite with his wife and son, who moved to the United Kingdom in 2022 and 2023. During his imprisonment, he said their contact was limited to monthly phone calls and letters, making the visit especially meaningful after years apart.

Before leaving Hong Kong, Wu said he sought advice from staff at the British Consulate General regarding his travel plans. According to him, officials assured him there should be no problems entering the UK and said they would inform the UK Border Force about his criminal record and travel itinerary in advance.

Wu said border officials questioned whether he was a genuine visitor travelling only to see his family. He also rejected media reports claiming that he intended to seek political asylum in Britain, insisting that he had no such plans.

The rights group Hong Kong Watch welcomed the UK’s decision to allow Wu to remain in the country. Policy Director Megan Khoo said the outcome was the correct one and argued that Wu should never have faced the threat of being sent back to the city where he had been imprisoned.

Wu entered Britain using a British National Overseas passport, a travel document available to many Hong Kong permanent residents born before the territory’s transfer from British to Chinese rule in 1997. Holders of the passport are generally allowed to visit the UK without a visa for up to six months.

The UK introduced a special visa route for British National Overseas passport holders in 2021 following the crackdown on Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement. The programme allows eligible applicants to live, work and study in Britain and eventually apply for citizenship after meeting residency requirements.

Since the scheme began, more than 230,000 Hong Kong residents have received BNO visas, while nearly 170,000 have relocated to the United Kingdom, according to government figures.

The UK Home Office declined to comment on Wu’s individual case but reaffirmed its support for the Hong Kong community living in Britain. Meanwhile, the Hong Kong government said it had not received any request for assistance from Wu or other Hong Kong residents regarding the matter.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Tom Holland hints at Spider-Man future as Sony hop…

    Tom Holland has opened up about the future of his time as Spider-Man, admitting that he has started thinking about life beyond the beloved superhero role. However, Sony Pictures chairman Tom Rothman has made it clear that he hopes the British actor will continue wearing the famous red-and-blue suit for years to come. The conversation comes shortly after the record-breaking success of Spider-Man: Brand New Day, which has become one of the biggest box office hits of 2026. While promoting the film, Holland reflected on his decade-long journey as Peter Parker and revealed that he has begun considering the next chapter for the franchise. Although he is not officially retiring, the actor suggested he would be content “swinging off into the sunset” when the right time arrives.  Holland explained that he does not want Spider-Man to become a role he outgrows. Instead, he hopes to help introduce the next generation of heroes, particularly fan-favorite Miles Morales. The 30-year-old actor said he would love to remain involved in the franchise by mentoring a future Spider-Man, much like Robert Downey Jr. supported him during his early years in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Despite Holland’s comments, Sony Pictures chairman Tom Rothman is optimistic that the actor’s journey as Spider-Man is far from over. Speaking after the massive success of Brand New Day, Rothman acknowledged that discussions about the character’s future are ongoing but stressed that no final decisions have been made. He also expressed his hope that Holland will continue portraying the web-slinger, praising his contribution to the franchise’s remarkable success.  Holland’s recent remarks differ slightly from comments he made earlier this year, when he admitted that saying he should stop playing Spider-Man after turning 30 was something he no longer believed. Looking back, he explained that those earlier statements were made at a different stage in his life and that he now feels grateful for the opportunities the character has given him. He added that he would happily continue if the story remained exciting and meaningful.  The overwhelming response to Spider-Man: Brand New Day has only strengthened fans’ hopes that Holland will stay with the franchise. The film has earned praise for presenting a more mature Peter Parker while opening the door to future storylines involving new Marvel characters. Many viewers have described it as the beginning of an exciting new era rather than the end of Holland’s journey.  For now, neither Sony nor Marvel has confirmed when Holland’s final appearance as Spider-Man will come. While the actor is openly thinking about eventually passing the torch, he has also made it clear that he wants to ensure the character is left in good hands. With studio executives eager to keep him and audiences continuing to embrace his portrayal, Holland’s future as Spider-Man remains bright—even if he is already thinking about what comes next. 

  • |

    Ryan Gosling officially joins Marvel as the new Ghost Rider

    Ryan Gosling is officially joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe after being announced as the new Ghost Rider during Marvel Studios’ Hall H presentation at San Diego Comic-Con on July 25. The surprise announcement thrilled fans as Gosling appeared on stage alongside Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who confirmed that the actor will headline a standalone Ghost Rider movie. The project marks Gosling’s first venture into the superhero genre and one of Marvel’s most anticipated future films. Speaking during the panel, Gosling shared his excitement about taking on the iconic role, revealing that portraying Ghost Rider has been a long-time dream. “As you know, this is a character I’ve wanted to play for a long time,” the actor said, drawing loud cheers from the audience gathered at Hall H. Ghost Rider is one of Marvel’s most recognizable supernatural heroes. The character was previously portrayed by Nicolas Cage in the 2007 film Ghost Rider and returned in the 2012 sequel Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Gosling now becomes the latest actor to bring the fiery antihero to life on the big screen as Marvel introduces the character into its interconnected cinematic universe. The upcoming film will be directed by Shawn Levy, who recently earned praise for directing the blockbuster Deadpool & Wolverine. Levy is also collaborating with Gosling on the upcoming Star Wars: Starfighter, making Ghost Rider their second major project together. Addressing the Comic-Con audience, Levy reflected on returning to Hall H after his previous Marvel appearance. “I’m having the greatest flashback vibes here because I was here two years ago when we showed Deadpool & Wolverine,” he said. Levy also praised Gosling, expressing his enthusiasm about working with him again. “I’ll never forget that night because I was introduced to the greatest fans. Gosling is the absolute s—. I say that with tremendous respect. We spent a lot of time last year making Starfighter, and the opportunity as Ryan started talking about this character, I was like, ‘Bro, let’s ride.’ We’ll see you in 2028!” Levy told the cheering crowd. Although Marvel Studios has not announced an official release date for the movie, Levy’s comments hinted that fans may have to wait until 2028 to see Ghost Rider arrive in theaters. The announcement has generated significant excitement among Marvel fans, many of whom have long hoped to see the supernatural hero become part of the MCU. Gosling’s casting has also sparked widespread discussion on social media, with many praising the decision and expressing curiosity about how the actor will interpret the iconic character. With an acclaimed director attached and one of Hollywood’s biggest stars stepping into the role, Marvel’s new Ghost Rider film is already shaping up to be one of the studio’s most highly anticipated projects. Fans will now be waiting for more details about the cast, storyline, and release schedule as development moves forward.

  • | | |

    PSX extends decline as KSE-100 drops over 1,260 po…

    The Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) remained under pressure on Friday, with the benchmark KSE-100 Index extending its recent losing streak during the morning trading session as investor sentiment stayed weak. By the time trading was suspended for the routine Friday prayer break, the KSE-100 Index had fallen 1,264.14 points, or 0.74%, to 170,475.30. The market opened in negative territory and continued to fluctuate throughout the session. The index reached an intraday high of 171,208.55 before declining to a low of 169,512.88, reflecting persistent selling pressure across the market. Trading activity remained moderate, with more than 114 million shares changing hands during the morning session. The total value of traded shares stood at approximately Rs7.83 billion before the temporary suspension. Market participants said investors remained cautious as profit-taking continued in several heavyweight stocks. The absence of strong buying interest also contributed to the downward trend, keeping the benchmark index below its previous closing level. The market moved within a wide range of nearly 1,700 points during the session, highlighting continued volatility as investors assessed economic conditions and overall market sentiment. Analysts said investors are closely monitoring developments that could influence market direction, including corporate earnings, economic indicators and broader financial conditions. They added that confidence has remained subdued in recent sessions, resulting in increased selling activity. Trading is expected to resume after the Friday prayer break, with investors watching for signs of a recovery. Market experts believe the direction of the afternoon session will determine whether the benchmark index can recover some of its losses or end the week on another negative note.

  • | |

    Brad Pitt broke sobriety at Taylor Swift and Travi…

    Brad Pitt’s recent revelation about his changing relationship with alcohol has sparked fresh attention around a reported sighting at Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s wedding. The Oscar-winning actor recently revealed that he had returned to drinking after maintaining seven years of sobriety. Shortly before that revelation became public, Pitt was reportedly seen drinking at Swift and Kelce’s star-studded wedding in New York in July. However, the sighting does not establish exactly when he began drinking again. (People.com⁠) Pitt’s sobriety revelation In a new interview with Esquire, Pitt opened up about his seven-year period of sobriety and acknowledged that he eventually started drinking alcohol again. The actor described himself as having “got back off the wagon,” while explaining that his current approach is much more restrained than it was in the past. Pitt also acknowledged that he had become overconfident at certain points and learned that drinking heavily was not something he could handle responsibly. (TMZ⁠) His comments quickly attracted widespread attention because sobriety had been an important part of his personal journey for years. The wedding sighting raises questions Pitt attended Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s July 3 wedding in New York alongside his girlfriend, Ines de Ramon. The event brought together numerous celebrities, and Pitt was among the high-profile guests spotted at the celebration. (The Hollywood Reporter⁠) Reports published after Pitt’s Esquire interview claimed that he was seen drinking at the wedding. The timing has therefore led to speculation about whether the celebration marked an important moment in his return to alcohol. Still, it would be misleading to say that Pitt definitely “broke” his sobriety at the wedding. Neither the reported sighting nor Pitt’s interview establishes that the wedding was the first occasion on which he drank again. A different approach to alcohol Pitt’s latest comments suggest that his relationship with drinking has changed rather than simply returning to his previous habits. He said he now drinks in a more controlled manner and remains aware of his personal limits. (Los Angeles Times⁠) His disclosure has added a new chapter to a sobriety journey he has discussed publicly over the years. Rather than confirming online speculation about a specific event, Pitt’s own comments provide the clearest picture: after seven years without alcohol, he decided to drink again while attempting to keep it restrained. For now, the wedding sighting remains an intriguing detail surrounding his revelation, but there is no confirmed evidence that it was the exact moment his sobriety ended.

  • | |

    Pakistan envoy Saadia Altaf Qazi honors Sahara Wel…

    OSLO: In a heartfelt ceremony marking the end of her diplomatic tenure in Norway, Pakistan’s Ambassador to Norway, Saadia Altaf Qazi presented a certificate of appreciation to Hafiz Muhammad Aslam Haq, chairman of the Sahara Welfare Foundation, in recognition of his longstanding humanitarian services and commitment to social welfare. The ambassador acknowledged Hafiz Aslam Haq’s contributions to supporting underprivileged communities across Pakistan, including assistance for poor families, orphans, widows and victims of devastating floods. She praised the foundation’s welfare initiatives, describing them as a valuable example of community service and compassion that reflects the true spirit of humanity. During the ceremony, Hafiz Aslam Haq paid tribute to Ambassador Saadia Altaf Qazi for her dedicated service to the Pakistani community in Norway and her efforts to strengthen diplomatic, cultural and people-to-people ties between Pakistan and Norway. He commended her leadership throughout her diplomatic assignment and wished her continued success in her future responsibilities. Expressing his gratitude for the recognition, Hafiz Aslam Haq thanked the ambassador for honoring his organization’s humanitarian work. He also extended his best wishes and prayers for her health, prosperity and continued achievements in representing Pakistan abroad. The event came as Ambassador Saadia Altaf Qazi concluded her diplomatic mission in Norway. Following the completion of her tenure, she is departing Oslo to assume her new assignment as Pakistan’s ambassador to Thailand. Her tenure in Norway has been widely recognized for promoting stronger bilateral relations, engaging with the Pakistani diaspora and enhancing cooperation between the two countries. The farewell recognition ceremony served not only as a tribute to humanitarian service but also as a celebration of the enduring partnership between Pakistan and Norway, highlighting the important role played by both diplomats and community leaders in strengthening international goodwill and supporting those most in need.

  • |

    Malaika Arora spotted with mystery man at airport

    Malaika Arora has once again become the center of attention after being spotted with a mystery man at an airport, fueling fresh speculation about her personal life. A video of the actress and television personality walking together has gone viral across social media, with fans eagerly discussing whether she has found love again following her split from Arjun Kapoor. In the widely shared clip, Malaika is seen exiting the airport dressed in a relaxed and stylish casual outfit. Walking alongside her was an unidentified man wearing a black T-shirt, blue jeans, a matching cap, and glasses. The two appeared comfortable in each other’s company as they made their way through the airport. The mystery companion was seen greeting people around them while staying close to Malaika throughout the walk. Their easy interaction quickly caught the attention of onlookers and social media users, leading many to speculate about the nature of their relationship. However, neither Malaika nor the man has commented on the rumors, and there has been no official confirmation regarding their connection. During the airport appearance, Malaika appeared visibly uncomfortable with the photographers gathered to capture the moment. As cameras continued to follow her, she seemed annoyed and gave a stern look toward the paparazzi, signaling that she did not want more photographs taken. Despite her reaction, the video continued to circulate online, attracting thousands of views and comments within a short time. The clip sparked a wave of reactions on social media, with users sharing both humorous and curious responses. One person jokingly wrote that silence can sometimes be the best review, while another claimed the mystery companion was rumored to be her boyfriend. Several others simply wondered about the identity of the man and whether the actress had indeed moved on. Malaika’s personal life has often remained a topic of public interest. She was previously in a high-profile relationship with Bollywood actor Arjun Kapoor. The pair first sparked dating rumors in 2018 after they were seen together on several occasions. Over the years, they made numerous public appearances and frequently shared glimpses of their relationship, eventually becoming one of Bollywood’s most talked-about couples. Reports of their separation surfaced in 2024, bringing an end to their long-term relationship. Since then, Malaika has largely kept her private life away from the spotlight, choosing not to address speculation surrounding her relationships. Her latest airport appearance has once again ignited discussions among fans and entertainment followers. While the identity of the mystery man remains unknown, the viral video has left many wondering if Malaika has entered a new chapter in her personal life. Until she chooses to speak publicly, the dating rumors remain purely speculative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *